Mercenary Changes Brainstorming

EricMusco

For some reason they do not want Merc DPS to be viable.

I say that merc healers will be in the number 2 spot because while the change may be good, they will still not have the survivability of OP healers and you cannot heal when you are dead.

The skill to reduce pushback will be an ability that you have to click. It will have a long cooldown and will cost excessive heat.

Why they changed the one single stun we get to 10 meters is beyond me and our mez is almost useless.

Edited by NathanielStarr

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say that merc healers will be in the number 2 spot because while the change may be good, they will still not have the survivability of OP healers and you cannot heal when you are dead.

I really don't understand why the devs didn't link merc buffs to Kolto Missile. Give Kolto Missile a 10% chance per teammate healed to make your next RapidScan an instant cast. Problem solved. Merc healers need the ability to do something when their shield is down. And frankly Merc dps need better off healing too. Sorc dps off healing is about 50-100% better in output than Merc dps off healing. It's really not very close. If Kolot Missile would proc RapidScan, both those issues would be addressed.

This threads title is an insult to the community.

The amount of work and thoughtful brainstorming the merc community put into displaying options for changes to (dps) mercs/commandos compared to the actual result achieved (removed 30% pushback from tracer missile/power shot [it already had 70% pushback reduction from talents]) is just like throwing a pie in all our faces.

Stop putting all your time into buffing those ridiculously op operatives and fix this broken class already. Class changes should take no more than 1-2 days in a 1hour meeting brainstorming stuff, in addition to looking at forum feedback from players. I am completely and utterly insulted by the amount of time it takes BW team to get anything minor done, as if it really took like 3-6 months to come up with this minor change.

I'll give BW 1/2 of an upvote for the mercenary/commando healing changes, at least it's some improvement.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Merc is not broken, only spec that is bad is Bodyguard PVP they rest is either fine or great

Keep telling that to urself while u play ar senal and try to get a barrage proc with tracer missile,while sin or mara perma focus you and your dps drops by 40%(eventually lowering your burst).

Pyro is on another case,its the case of paper.While arsenal is beefy as hell with many casts,pyro is significantly paper(due to much much worse offheals) plus he cockblocks himself after initial rotation of ED TD IM RS UL RS tso+fusion missile+power surge.If someone survives that,boom enjoy ur power shot being interrupted all day while ur amazingly pulling outstanding dps with ed and auto attacks.

Seriously though just make FOE suit passive 30% without the need of cleanse(less gcd for more dmg uptime) and give us the talent pyro PT has Automated defenses instead of this crappy jet boost talent.

P.S: If you ever wanted to make pyro mobile and fun all you had to do was to lower heat cost of missile blast significantly(to 16 perhaps) and give it the same proc rate power shot has for PPA and either remove PS from PPA or just reduce the dmg of missile blast significantly.

Edited by Afraid

Almost every class/spec has it's weakness in PVP not just Mercs so if you are saying that Merc is broken or the worst class or that it's a joke in pvp you are either ignorant or just a whiner who wants and OP class to make up for your own shortcomings. Out of our 6 spec (counting PVP and PVE as 2) only 1 is bad, Bodyguard PVP. Our only major problem is being shut down easily, and in some extent heat management.

Merc is not alone to have problems, operative dps is squishy as hell (so much that it isn't even viable for arena), Sorc dps too and easily shut down (lightning), Sorc heals since arena drop is almost as bad as Merc heals, jugg has unreliable dmg (vengeance) and squishy (rage), madness sin is squishy and has pathetic burst. So be glad our only problem is interrupts.

P.S: Oh and no class should survive focus fire unless they are OP (*cough* Rage Mara *cough*)

Almost every class/spec has it's weakness in PVP not just Mercs so if you are saying that Merc is broken or the worst class or that it's a joke in pvp you are either ignorant or just a whiner who wants and OP class to make up for your own shortcomings. Out of our 6 spec (counting PVP and PVE as 2) only 1 is bad, Bodyguard PVP. Our only major problem is being shut down easily, and in some extent heat management.

Merc is not alone to have problems, operative dps is squishy as hell (so much that it isn't even viable for arena), Sorc dps too and easily shut down (lightning), Sorc heals since arena drop is almost as bad as Merc heals, jugg has unreliable dmg (vengeance) and squishy (rage), madness sin is squishy and has pathetic burst. So be glad our only problem is interrupts.

P.S: Oh and no class should survive focus fire unless they are OP (*cough* Rage Mara *cough*)

First of all your example classes are either being buffed too or are in the line for buffs.Operative dps is indeed squishy and if u go read at operative thread the reply of a biowares employee, the only reason their defensive cd's arent being buffed is because of operative healing spec.But instead they significantly boost their dmg.Sorc lightning is like arsenal merc so nothing to discuss(and even squishier).Vengeance "unreliable" dmg is more reliable than ours when focused.

You keep mentioning underperforming specs and classes.Lets see the opposite.Take Pyro PT.He does more dmg than any of the 2 dps specs of mercenary (maaaaybe if arsenal is lucky enough on barrage and freecasts all day,wont happen),has more utility,is more beefy.

Want me to start about marauders?Deception sins?

We are not broken,however it takes so little effort to makes us underperrfom while other specs even pressured can fight back,that is not even funny.

P.S: It takes so much effort to proc Barrage while being focus fired that at least they should put a freaking interrupt immunity to that.

P.S2: TAke a look at Merc leaderboards and the rest leaderboards.The elo disparcity 2200 down to 1700 down to 1400 in one page doesnt tell you something?It should have been 2200-2100-2000-1900-1800-1700-1600.Why everyone elses ladder is completely normal while ours is freefalling (excluding sniper and even jugs have better disparsity)?

Edited by Afraid

I've played a merc bodyguard and been a sub since beta and have been through the highs and lows of bounty hunter in both pve and pvp.

Bodyguard for pve: I am happy with the new changes announced finally not wasting heat to heal me when I'm in the 90% is awesome and being able to bubble multiple targets even sweeter. This will up the merc wals I'm positive. I don't claim to be the best merc healer but people on bastion know my merc heals very well and know a merc can stand with the other healers just is complicated.

What I would like to give in opinion for advancement: Merc healers tend to not top charts in overall healing stats (even if their ineffective) because they lack AOE capability over time. Kolto Missile by my parsec experience is used any where between 50%-60% of the overall skills used to heal in a PVE situation. I'd like this very heavily use ability to be more in line with the other healing AOE classes. It's fine as it stands but would be nice if the ability when shot out healed everyone in the vacinity of its target area verses just 4 individuals. The tick healing residue is awesome and shouldn't be changed bc it heals any one within it be nice if it ticked a few more times to be more in line with Sorc but its good as is.

I would say keep heat where it is if anything to better control heal generation allow for when he merc activates his gas Kolto overrides to take away more heat then I think 8? Of when it is used after you've charged 30 times. I think that ability if its heat venting was increased would be just perfectly fine for hear management and wouldn't need to take us back to pre 2.0 it make the lesser experienced mercs able to better learn management and allow the older experienced once the ability to compete at a quicker rate on stats.

Pvp bodyguard:

There 2 abilities I don't use for pvp that I should bc I don't want to constantly respec but for pvp I believe if the mercs overrides "actually" immuned him from what it says"physical interrupts" flash bang last I checked is a physical type CC yet it literally stuns you in overrides.... Problem merc healer in pvp is to easily interrupt or not AOE affective especially in 4v4 zones. By the time healing begins and I'm stunned to death the best option for my team often times is run and hope their dps follows me to give my dps time to kill their healer.... Although this tends to allowe to win it quite is boring when I'm suppose to be healing not running..... So overall if there is something that allows us to maybe break CC or create CC or temp make our abilities for 5 seconds go without touch perfect or maybe an AOE option. Right now the poll on merc healers in pvp is "unwanted" I'd just prefer to be unknown and unnoticed then unwanted as a class.

I really don't understand why the devs didn't link merc buffs to Kolto Missile. Give Kolto Missile a 10% chance per teammate healed to make your next RapidScan an instant cast. Problem solved. Merc healers need the ability to do something when their shield is down. And frankly Merc dps need better off healing too. Sorc dps off healing is about 50-100% better in output than Merc dps off healing. It's really not very close. If Kolot Missile would proc RapidScan, both those issues would be addressed.

Sorc's bubble shows up as healing which is why they appear to do so much healing. All they have to do is put bubble on everyone in the WZ at the start of the match, then keep it up on themselves and they will hit nearly 200k healing.

Arsenal does just fine in pvp, until you hit high end ranked arena's. But at that level you don't see Sorc's, Snipers, or Juggs either. Lets be honest, the top ranked teams consist of a combination of Op healer, PT tank (or AP in tank stance), then some combo of Marauder/Assassin/PT dps. Notice that ALL the dps classes that do well in team ranked are melee.... No cast times = no interrupts, plus all those classes have awesome burst, good defensive CD's, and with the exception of the sin, they all have AOE stuns.

Sorc's bubble shows up as healing which is why they appear to do so much healing. All they have to do is put bubble on everyone in the WZ at the start of the match, then keep it up on themselves and they will hit nearly 200k healing.

Arsenal does just fine in pvp, until you hit high end ranked arena's. But at that level you don't see Sorc's, Snipers, or Juggs either. Lets be honest, the top ranked teams consist of a combination of Op healer, PT tank (or AP in tank stance), then some combo of Marauder/Assassin/PT dps. Notice that ALL the dps classes that do well in team ranked are melee.... No cast times = no interrupts, plus all those classes have awesome burst, good defensive CD's, and with the exception of the sin, they all have AOE stuns.

You most definitely see sorcs and snipers on the top end teams. Jugg as dps probably not, but possibly as tank in specific comps. Besides that, just because one class is as represented doesn't make it okay for others to be under represented.

Ya. This sums it up. I was hoping that arsenal and pyro get interrupt protection so they can compete in competitive play. I guess I should stick with my PT. Merc will never be remotely close.

I do not main a Merc healer, but I heal with one in the current HM Dread Operations, and the healing in PvE-- when considering the buffs they brings-- is in a good place, ie: I feel no pressure to "pick up slack" but occasionally resource issues when there are a few too many "oh ****" moments. For PvP, before they jump down my throat about good numbers, Id like to point out that very few complain about the raw output of Merc/Mando healing (and most of those do not understand how the spec works), because their problems lies within the class itself: very cast reliant with few and mostly ineffective ways to counter it. One idea that could offer something for both sides: (Apologies if this was mentioned in one of the previous 300+ posts)

Emergency Scan has always seemed a bit lackluster and disjointed for a capstone ability, perhaps it should be tied it into the tree a bit more? Maybe have its cooldown reset be one of the perks of Super Charged Gas and/or build charges of Combat Support Cylinder?

I don't know if this has been mentioned...

But interrupt immunity is more important than pushback imo... Can we move Power Shield in the healing tree down 1-2 tiers? Make it a first tier talent in the healing tree so it is widely available to every spec to get a couple seconds of reprieve from the constant interrupt/stun fest.

Also, resolve needs to be tied to the interrupt mechanism as well. No interrupts or pushback while resolve bar is full.

- add a disengage move like hunters have in wow. We have a jetpack ffs. Would help us get off additional hard casts as well. 30m. 45 sec cooldown.

I think that's the main point, as for Operative rolling ability we should have something similare, would be nice to have a short fly with jetpack.

Personally i would love to see a risk/reward system implemented with heat

when dealing damage/ healing there is a "sweet spot" to hit where the player deals additional damage, but is also prone to overheating if heat is not regulated (so somewhere in the 80-90 range). There is a champion in league of legends that uses a similar system to this but instead of overheating when he reaches 100% he cant cast for 3-4 seconds. so essentially any player can still do damage, but the ones who are more skilled at heat regulation are rewarded.

also a jetpack disengage would be awesome!!