Who else likes GSF less after 2.6?

NathanielStarr

I like it less because it's become about mines and gunships. Dogfighting has taken an even further backseat. It is slower moving, less exciting and cheesier tactics prevail. Why does Bioware update to make things worse all the time?

I dogfight in my minelayer.

Improve and adapt.

I like it more, and I WAS a battle scout in 2.6 I like to have my strike fighter friends be more useful, as well as the slowing of gameplay that a bomber represents.

Also, I'm tired of all the bullscat about losing "dogfighting" it was never supposed to be about dogfighting, and if you thought it was, then what the hell do you think gunships exist for? or for that matter, lock on missiles?

Also, I'm tired of all the bullscat about losing "dogfighting" it was never supposed to be about dogfighting [...]

"TAKE YOUR BATTLE TO SPACE!

Experience intense 12v12 free flight dogfighting in space in the new Free-to-Play

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Expansion, Galactic Starfighter."

Source: http://www.swtor.com/galactic-starfighter

Well, I like dogfighting.

Experience intense 12v12 free flight dogfighting in space in the new Free-to-Play

This!

I started with GSF, because i want to fly through space and pew pew other ships in exciting dogfights and not to play Minesweeper Online.

Reasons I like it more:

1. Evasion nerf. Was needed.
  2. TDM fun.

Reasons I like it less:

1. Impside JM seems to have fewer good pilots these days, more matches are blowouts. Farming kills = boring.
  2. Ion nerf. I know this is impossible, but I wish ion love tap still worked vs gunships. Right now it is too easy for me to escape if I make a mistake.

Overall I'm actually having a little less fun but I'd attribute it to the population shift and not to 2.6 per se. Eventually I expect this problem to be fixed.

Reasons I like it less:

1. Impside JM seems to have fewer good pilots these days, more matches are blowouts. Farming kills = boring.

Well it looks like the imps seem to go up and down. When 2.5 went live the imps where just as terrible as they are now, but towards the end of 2.5 they where getting much better. However TDM seems to have screwed them over as they lack any decent fighter pilots and rely on gunship spam from barely competent gunships. They do better in dominion I have noticed, where dogfighting ability is not as potent.

• Ion nerf. I know this is impossible, but I wish ion love tap still worked vs gunships. Right now it is too easy for me to escape if I make a mistake.

That would be a very interesting tooltip.

Although it seems odd that you think that it should be harder for gunships to escape from gunship duels but not harder vs anything else. Perhaps make BR cost a little bit more engine power?

Overall I'm actually having a little less fun but I'd attribute it to the population shift and not to 2.6 per se. Eventually I expect this problem to be fixed.

Same here mostly, fortunately I still enjoy the rest of the game too, so I don't have to worry about suffering from boredom if the matches go to far south.

Edited by Zoom_VI

This!

I started with GSF, because i want to fly through space and pew pew other ships in exciting dogfights and not to play Minesweeper Online.

Just because SOME players drop mines and fly bombers does not remove the need for dogfighting. There is plenty of dogfighting in GSF still, and quite frankly the evasion nerf and reduction in Scout supremacy has made Strike fighters a lot more valid, and Strike fighters are definitely dogfighters.

To say there's no more dogfighting because of bombers is no better than saying there was no dogfighting in 2.5 because of Gunship. There was dogfighting then, and there's dogfighting now.

It sucks since 2.6! Pre 2.6 i just played GSF when i logged into SWTOR. It was fun. Not that i ruled with a scout. Reqs where really hard earned as an Imp on my Server and i was far away from Mastering a Ship. Now I do only my Dailies with a few toons. Its only about which side brings in more Bombers and Gunships to the Field. Either you are destroyed while cleaning a Minecarpet, or while chasing a Gunship back to his Capital.

The most anoying thing is the unbreakable Lock of Missile Drones and the perfect Aim from the Ishootyourightoffthebarrelroll-Railgun Drones and the fact that BW doesnt seem care about it. At least that would be worth a Hotfix.

Just because SOME players drop mines and fly bombers does not remove the need for dogfighting. There is plenty of dogfighting in GSF still, and quite frankly the evasion nerf and reduction in Scout supremacy has made Strike fighters a lot more valid, and Strike fighters are definitely dogfighters.

To say there's no more dogfighting because of bombers is no better than saying there was no dogfighting in 2.5 because of Gunship. There was dogfighting then, and there's dogfighting now.

From what I've seen, most of the dogfighting in strikes and scouts is by players is by players with 2-3 ships, or guys working on Req points for newer ships.

People with bombers and gunships are predominantly flying bombers and gunships. YMMV, of course.

From what I've seen, most of the dogfighting in strikes and scouts is by players is by players with 2-3 ships, or guys working on Req points for newer ships.

People with bombers and gunships are predominantly flying bombers and gunships. YMMV, of course.

It varies indeed, because on my server there's a full spectrum of aces in all roles, and scouts are definitely very popular, with Strikes and Bombers slowly gaining in popularity.

Try learning to fly Strikes if you want dogfighting, you'll get plenty of it (and yes, that includes dogfighting those gunships and bombers).

It varies indeed, because on my server there's a full spectrum of aces in all roles, and scouts are definitely very popular, with Strikes and Bombers slowly gaining in popularity.

Try learning to fly Strikes if you want dogfighting, you'll get plenty of it (and yes, that includes dogfighting those gunships and bombers).

I fly everything. If I want to win or help mitigate a blowout loss I usually end up flying Bombers or Gunships in Domination, and Gunships in TDM (the optimal number of gunships in TDM is as many as you can get). If the game looks like a sure win for us then I'll use my scouts and strikes more.

In the hands of roughly evenly-skilled pilots, it's a Bomber and Gunship world.

From early release until 2.6 I played GSF every night, usually 5-10 matches a night. I loved it and couldn't get enough. I played several hundred matches, I can't remember the exact number. Since 2.6 I've played less than 15 matches, and none in the last 10 days.

I tried the bomber, and it was the stupidest experience I can recall having in an MMO in some time. My first match, I flew around deploying mines and drones. Got like 1 killing blow with my blasters. I thought the entire match had been a joke, I just lazily flew in circles dropping drones and mines and got shot down a couple times. At the end of the match I had 12 kills and 27 assists and earned a TON of req--for doing nothing. Seriously, I flew in circles and occasionally deployed mines and drones.

I thought surely this was a lucky match. So I flew several more. Each match was boring and I felt like I was doing nothing. Certainly I was NOT using the experience I had earned in previous matches. And on almost each occasion I was near the top of the leaderboards, often with 7+ kills and 20+ assists.

Sure, some folks like bombers. That's great, I'm glad it's fun for some. But I hate flying them, so I went back to strike and scout. Mines, mines, mines and drones everywhere. I do not mind at all getting taken down by a better pilot. But it's really boring getting shot down by drones and mines.

Up until 2.6, BW had finally found a way to get me to spend money on cartel coins. I liked having all the ships, and I liked transferring req around to upgrade my new favorite. I haven't spent one penny on cartel coins since bombers were introduced.

I loved GSF, it was the most fun I can recall having in an MMO in a long time. Bombers ended that for me. If they were removed I'd come back--but we all know that that is NOT going to happen. It's not about L2P: I've read the strats, I've tried them out, and I've had success with some of them. It boils down to one thing for me: GSF is not at all fun since bombers were introduced. It's not fun for me to fly them and it's not fun to fly against them. Every match is a gunship and bomber bonanza. It's not fun for me, so I don't queue anymore. /shrug

ill give you the victory on their marketing and possibly their intentions, but the gameplay I still believe discourages it.

I dogfight in my flying brick all the time.

Not seeing a problem here.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see a problem here at all. I just almost never play GSF anymore. Does that mean it is now inherently bad? Nope, it means it no longer appeals to me personally. The question the OP asked was "who likes GSF less after 2.6?" and for me personally I definitely like it quite a lot less. I don't really like it at all.

I played scout most of the time. And I will definitely agree that prior to 2.6 scouts needed a nerf. Evasion was too high, and distortion field was overpowered. I liked the changes they made to the scout (though along with those nerfs I'd have liked to see some small buffs to strike fighters).

But when I started playing after 2.6, it was all gunships and bombers, the game play centers (in my personal opinion) on gunships and bombers, and dogfighting, while still around, has been hugely curtailed. I tried flying a bomber, snooze city. I got great stats and tons of requisition but it was a snoozefest that took no skill. Fly in circle, drop mine, deploy drone, repeat.

So no, I don't see a problem here. Some folks like the bombers, I respect that. But if the question is "are you playing less since 2.6?" the answer for me is definitely yes. I played hundreds of matches from early release until 2.6. I've played only a few since 2.6, around 15 or so. For me it's simply no longer fun, so I don't queue anymore. If bombers were removed (and I 100% realize that they absolutely will not be removed) I'd be back in a heartbeat. No big deal, I still dig SWTOR. But I'm hardly doing GSF at all anymore, I've completed 1 weekly on 1 toon since 2.6.

Edited by Eldrenath

The transition was rough for a few matches, but it's definitely a lot more balanced and interesting now. Bombers combined with the balance changes means you just can't fly the same way you did in 2.6 anymore, but you can still be just as effective once you get used to it.

I like the added dimension bombers bring, but there are still adjustments needed to bring better balance to GSF. That said, I enjoy GSF more now, and I liked it a lot before. There's more to it and an added gameplay mode gave it stronger wings. Things seem to be better now that people are adapting to bombers as well. Still some crazy stupid stuff with them, but I see a lot more fluctuation on the maps I've been playing this week.