Two new players

woeye

Greetings everyone,

so my girlfriend and me want to give a SWTOR a try. We've already played lots of other games together, such as WoW, LotRO, Global Agenda, GW1&2, but never tried SWTOR before. However, inspired by the great videos of OSWGuild on Youtube we tought, hey, why not give SWTOR a try? :) Also, my girlfriend is a huge SW fan. Not just the films, but books as well.

Sooo ... is it possible to play together? Looking at some vids on Youtube it seems to be very instanced? (I am asking because we had games were entering story based instances together was not possible)

And from our playstyle (me: supporter/range, she: tank or engineer in other games) would you recommend certain classes? (I read stuff on various sites but I am not sure yet) Maybe you guys can give us some tips?

Thanks a lot!

To answer your first question, it is perfectly possible to do every single mission in this game together. That being said, because every class story is different you'd need to do her class story and then your class story every time. There is a setting in the preferences menu that allows others to access your instanced areas if they are in your group.

Firstly, make sure you're on the same server, obviously :p Then find her in game, click her, right click on her portrait in the bottom right and invite her to a group and hey presto, you can quest together (and gain more XP as you'll get the xp she gains and vice versa).

For your second point, there are many different options. What faction would you prefer - Empire or Republic? Healer or DPS? Answer these and I'll try and recommend some classes to you.

Hi Nothematic,

thanks for your feedback! Forming a group shouldn't be a problem for we have a lot of experience with other MMOs already. But thanks for the settings tip regarding groups and instances. Will check this out.

For your second point, there are many different options. What faction would you prefer - Empire or Republic? Healer or DPS? Answer these and I'll try and recommend some classes to you.

As I said: I prefer supporter/healer roles and range (I easily get lost in melee). My girlfriend, however, prefers DPS or tank. She also enjoys playing the "engineer" class in other games, like turrets, shields, etc. But yeah, most of the time she tanks and I heal :)

Also I think we will start with the Republic first.

As a healer/support, you'd probably be looking at either a smuggler or a consular. The smuggler can do good dps and one of their advanced classes can heal. (I've never played a smuggler, but I know for a fact that they're a ***** to kill in warzones). The consular again has 2 advanced classes, the sage or the shadow. For you I'd recommend the sage as they are a ranged dps/healer. I am playing the sith mirror class right now and it's a lot of fun.

For your girlfriend, she should consider either a Jedi knight , Jedi consular or trooper.. The Knight has 2 advanced classes, Guardian and Sentinel. The Guardian is primarily a tank, but can do moderate DPS if specced into the right skill tree. The consular again has two advanced classes - the sage is ranged dps or a healer and the shadow is a tank or DPS. If she rolled a trooper and wanted to tank she'd need to pick the vanguard advanced class.

So, in summary:

You - Look into either a smuggler or a consular

Girlfriend - Look at either a jedi knight, consular or trooper.

I'd recommend reading up about them online and deciding then. Having said all this, you have 12 character slots, so you can always just roll one of each, play them for a bit and decide which one is for you :)

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions :)

Edited by Nothematic

if you're a F2P player you are limited to two characters.

Each class is mirrored in the other faction from a game mechanic point of view. Their skills will look different, but the rotation / prioritization will be the same.

The class stories are different for each class, but it will be the same for the two advanced classes within one class (i.e Jedi guardian and sentinel have the same story, but different from the sith juggernaut and marauder)

Jedi knight // Sith Warrior (tank /melee dps or pure melee dps)

Smuggler // Imperial Agent (heal /melee dps or ranged dps)

Jedi Consular // Sith inquisitor (heal /ranged dps or tank /melee dps)

Trooper // Bounty Hunter (heal /ranged dps or tank /shortranged dps)

Your starting planet may differ (All Jedis start on Tython, Sith on Koriban, Smuggler and Trooper on Ord Mantel, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent on Hutta) but you'll be reunited around level 10-11 on the fleet space station.

An option could be that one of you take the shuttle to the fleet as soon as possible and travel by shuttle to the other's starting planet. So you get to see each other's starting storyline.

if you're a F2P player you are limited to two characters.

Each class is mirrored in the other faction from a game mechanic point of view. Their skills will look different, but the rotation / prioritization will be the same.

The class stories are different for each class, but it will be the same for the two advanced classes within one class (i.e Jedi guardian and sentinel have the same story, but different from the sith juggernaut and marauder)

Jedi knight // Sith Warrior (tank /melee dps or pure melee dps)

Smuggler // Imperial Agent (heal /melee dps or ranged dps)

Jedi Consular // Sith inquisitor (heal /ranged dps or tank /melee dps)

Trooper // Bounty Hunter (heal /ranged dps or tank /shortranged dps)

Your starting planet may differ (All Jedis start on Tython, Sith on Koriban, Smuggler and Trooper on Ord Mantel, Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent on Hutta) but you'll be reunited around level 10-11 on the fleet space station.

An option could be that one of you take the shuttle to the fleet as soon as possible and travel by shuttle to the other's starting planet. So you get to see each other's starting storyline.

If he is posting here he is subscribed :p

And from our playstyle (me: supporter/range, she: tank or engineer in other games) would you recommend certain classes? (I read stuff on various sites but I am not sure yet) Maybe you guys can give us some tips?

You: Sage/Sorcerer, or Commando/Mercenary

GF: Shadow/Assassin, or Vanguard/Powertech

Leveling as a duo, you will most likely steamroll through the content rather easily, so just pick a healer companion and maybe another damage companion.

Do note, you'll likely want to be different base classes, because if you're the same you won't be able to do your class quests together.

Like, a Jedi Knight and a Jedi Knight will be locked out of each others' class quest areas. But a Trooper and a Jedi Knight could definitely enter together an help each other. That only applies to the class quests and no others.

Do note, you'll likely want to be different base classes, because if you're the same you won't be able to do your class quests together.

Like, a Jedi Knight and a Jedi Knight will be locked out of each others' class quest areas. But a Trooper and a Jedi Knight could definitely enter together an help each other. That only applies to the class quests and no others.

Actually you can, but it's just more tricky. There is a setting that you can switch on that will allow you to enter the same class story phases if grouped, but only the first person to enter the story phase will get their quest done. So if you play together using the same classes you will have to do all of the class story quests twice.

Note: The different advanced classes of the same class will still count as the same class.

For the reason of not getting bored with repeating the same stuff, I would still highly recommend using different classes.

Edited by Eternalnight

I think there's a strong case to be made for playing the same base classes. Most classes have very different options depending on if you go light or dark side, so if one of you goes light and the other dark, you can go spectator mode and watch all the class stories that your partner does and see how your story would have turned out if you were light or dark.

Another benefit is that you don't ever have to cross the map or go to different planets or separate to do class story stuff. Especially during transition points where each class story might have you go to 2 or 3 different planets back to back, it can be annoying just following someone around when you don't have anything to do yourself there. If you're playing the same base class, then you don't have that problem as long as you always quest together and stay at the same point in your class stories.

So, if that appeals to you, I'd recommend Consular for both of you. When you get to level 10, you select Sage as your advanced class (it has a healing and 2 dps skill trees to choose from as you level), and she takes Shadow as her advanced class (she gets a double bladed light saber and can choose between a tanking and 2 dps skill trees as she levels).

Alternatively, if light sabers aren't important to you, you both can take trooper. At level 10, you take Commando, and she takes Vanguard. I really love the play style of the trooper and my main is a Vanguard tank. The main drawback to the trooper is that this is starwars and you don't get to run around with a light saber if you go trooper/smuggler.

Also, it's been pointed out, but I'll say it also. Each faction has 4 base classes (8 advanced classes) that play just about the same. So, if you think imperial is cooler than republic, you can go Inquisitor instead of Consular and do the same thing.

Hope you enjoy the game!