End-Game Black Box Dialogue - Why?

alovelymess

Okay this is probably stupid but I'm genuinely curious as to why most of the dialogue now at the end of KOTFE is now the "black box" options where we can't hear our character's voice anymore. Was it just too much work to voice act the options or too many options to choose from? I'm honestly just wondering cause I'm kinda disappointed, takes away from the immersion in the characters.

I see where some people aren't happy with the new style they are going for with the side quest but I think that they are trying to give that old Kotor 1 and 2 feel. I personally like not hearing my characters voice tbh

You are one of the few. Don't care for it, but I can live with it. I don't think it's a matter of trying to give the Kotor 1/2 feel, but rather, a way to pay less to the voice actors.

You are one of the few. Don't care for it, but I can live with it. I don't think it's a matter of trying to give the Kotor 1/2 feel, but rather, a way to pay less to the voice actors.

I agree, it feels really empty. I just didn't know if there was a legit reason they had the dialogue like that, but I agree probably less money for them on actors.

I've seen some speculate that may have something to do with the voice actor strike though I do not know much about it to be honest.

It is also entirely possibly that it is simply to save money on voice acting, perhaps even a necessary one, so they decided to make the best of it by making it in the old kotor style which I can appreciate.

I see where some people aren't happy with the new style they are going for with the side quest but I think that they are trying to give that old Kotor 1 and 2 feel. I personally like not hearing my characters voice tbh

I find it a little jarring, but at least SWTOR's dialogues are carefully written so that NPCs (almost(1)) never say the player character's name. Drakensang: The River of Time (off-line single-player RPG) didn't avoid this, and just blanked out the spot in the dialogue where the subtitles had the player's name. *That* sounded weird, but not as weird as all the dwarves having Glaswegian accents, while just down the hill there were (human) pirate wenches with broad Valley Girl accents.

The graphics were beautiful, but the from-German localisations were highly variable, with a few bits of German text remaining, and English-only spoken word.

(1) So far, I've met one and only one NPC whose speech includes the player's name. I think it was a JK story NPC on Nar Shaddaa, speaking Alien Turkey Gobble 4, where it doesn't actually matter what the spoken word is, but the subtitles had my character's name in them. (There's no mistaking it; she is Tikreva'tarsil. No way you'd miss that.)

I've seen some speculate that may have something to do with the voice actor strike though I do not know much about it to be honest.

It is also entirely possibly that it is simply to save money on voice acting, perhaps even a necessary one, so they decided to make the best of it by making it in the old kotor style which I can appreciate.

I didn't know about a voice actor strike, but I'm not surprised.

If it was necessary then I'm all for it, I love this game too much to not see new contain and keep it maintained. But for $15 a month, I'd hope for the narration. But I don't know how many players are FTP rather than sub.

My thought is that it's because they wouldn't have had the budget to fully voice those conversations and make them cinematic so they tried to compromise by doing the KotOR style conversations rather than the daily style text box with accept or decline or not doing it at all.