Is RE broke?

Priam

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are going to ruin this game... The RE chance should not be increased, it should be DECREASED. Try to think for one second about the market and not just your own instant gratification.

Yep, the crybabies always win.

Personally I don't care about the market as much, even though it will undoubtedly destroy it. The pursuit of schems was something to strive for though.

Edited by Larkie

You guys are going to ruin this game... The RE chance should not be increased, it should be DECREASED. Try to think for one second about the market and not just your own instant gratification.

In any case it should be left as it is, not decreased...

As you said if RE is increased then everybody will get instant gratification and happiness (maybe not nice) but having it decreased will give MARKET LOVING PEOPLE long-term gratification, prices will be insanely high and in some point people will start paying with "time-cards" and stuff like that because is impossible to pay the prices.

It's something to be following and see how this keeps changing no doubt...

The reverse engineering return rate is not currently working as intended. In an upcoming patch, we are improving the reverse engineering rates – especially for the higher-level items. We are also looking into the issue where a player receives "You already know that schematic" instead of learning a new research variation.

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

I believe the Re engineering rate is fine how it is now. If the rate was increased it would flood the market with high tier items and cause issues with the market. I believe getting that one schemantic that you have been waiting for is very rewarding and taking away the amount of effort/credits/time to get it will reduce the feeling of satisfaction.

Please do not increase the reverse engineering rate. It will be bad for the game's internal market.

The reverse engineering return rate is not currently working as intended. In an upcoming patch, we are improving the reverse engineering rates – especially for the higher-level items. We are also looking into the issue where a player receives "You already know that schematic" instead of learning a new research variation.

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

In other words you are going to make it so its easier to get blues and purples when REing them but are going to do nothing about them being useful in game.

My question for the people saying that this is just bad luck is, have you tried since the patch?

I do a ton of REs daily as a Armormech. Today I REd 10 Blue boots and got a purple on the 4th boot REd. Luckly it was a purple I Could work with so I crafted no additional blues to RE.

My worst streak was a Purple Implant I was after. It took roughly 250 REs to get the purple I was after, which was the 3rd purple I received (the first two being trash purples).

I'm super tempted to RE the Redoubt Elite Vanguard Purple I currently have to get it to Veracity level. 4 Irons a piece, it's quite the gample but the payoff could be huge. If I got it to Veracity, it would have to be best in slot for shield and defence for helms. Ug thats a lot to gample though. :-/

You're the one not thinking about the market. Currently there are very few RE-ed purple items on the market because it takes so long to get them. In fact, it takes so long and costs so much that people are discouraged from even trying. By the time you DO get a meaningful purple item/mod you've long since surpassed it with rakata/battlemaster gear and don't even think to market it. The marketing system in this game can only benefit from having RE-ed schematics more easy to obtain. It is YOU who are thinking about your own gratification for already having these schematics because you have more time to put into crafting than the rest of us do. We don't want a second job. We want a game.

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

So... is there anything in this game that is working as intended?

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

Fixing the re-learning of the same schematics... Great!

Upping the RE chance... not a good idea.

The whole point of a rare item is that it is RARE! Shocking I know.

If you make it so every casual around can make all the crating purples out there then you will be severely damaging the long term economy in the game.

Prices for items have been on gradual decrease over the past few weeks. You guys are always talking about your metrics, try looking at them. As more people have been learning the schematics the prices continue to fall. The markets are already saturating because these "epic" items are really easy to craft and will soon be as common as blues and greens if not more common.

In addition, by increasing the RE chance you will put an even greater strain on the Mission professions to provide the mats to create all these newly discovered purple items. The inflation on these mission items is already getting out of hand. On the Jedi Covenant server the TH tier 6 purple gems are selling for 25k a pop. It takes 4 of them to craft any of the epic items that use them (2 for offhands) and those finished products which also take other materials only sell for about 50k due to the abundance of people selling them.

Yep I have to take a 50k loss per item (at market value, I can acquire the mats myself for cheaper, but why not just sell the mats then) to sell the items that you claim have "too low" a proc chance. If anything, if you want to improve the long term stability of the economy you will cut the rates even further, not increase them.

If nothing else keep the rate low for the new schematics you will be adding to give the dedicated crafters something to sell and not flood the market.

I dobut you guys will read this, but here's hoping.

Someone here has never heard of the Wi Flag!

Great memories, thank you for sharing. Too bad the lore doesn't explain why it was called "Wi flag". My recollection is that one of the first players who noticed this curse had a character named "Wi".

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

Awesome! Thanks a lot buddy!

You're QA team is fail.

Upping the RE chance... not a good idea.

The whole point of a rare item is that it is RARE! Shocking I know.

If you make it so every casual around can make all the crating purples out there then you will be severely damaging the long term economy in the game.

Prices for items have been on gradual decrease over the past few weeks. You guys are always talking about your metrics, try looking at them. As more people have been learning the schematics the prices continue to fall. The markets are already saturating because these "epic" items are really easy to craft and will soon be as common as blues and greens if not more common.

In addition, by increasing the RE chance you will put an even greater strain on the Mission professions to provide the mats to create all these newly discovered purple items. The inflation on these mission items is already getting out of hand. On the Jedi Covenant server the TH tier 6 purple gems are selling for 25k a pop. It takes 4 of them to craft any of the epic items that use them (2 for offhands) and those finished products which also take other materials only sell for about 50k due to the abundance of people selling them.

Yep I have to take a 50k loss per item (at market value, I can acquire the mats myself for cheaper, but why not just sell the mats then) to sell the items that you claim have "too low" a proc chance. If anything, if you want to improve the long term stability of the economy you will cut the rates even further, not increase them.

If nothing else keep the rate low for the new schematics you will be adding to give the dedicated crafters something to sell and not flood the market.

I dobut you guys will read this, but here's hoping.

I disagree with this as it gives the crafters, a part of the hardcore gaming population an elite status. They can craft whatever they worked for while others cannot. And if they decide not to sell their items on the GTN but just craft for themselves and perhaps for their guildies then how would the casual gamer who isn't them or isn't in their guild acquire these items?

And indeed, if people are selling with a loss on the GTN why would they bother in the first place? They would rather make money then loose money and there are enough ways to make money in this game.

Yes, there will be a further pricedrop but there will also be opportunity for everyone to craft the items they want and not be dependent on other players who may not do what they want.

As you can imagine, if they don't read this page, then I wouldn't mind. But if they do, theyll probably read this post as well.

I've reverse engineered about 40 green bastion enhancement 22's today and still have not gained the blue schematic version. Normally takes less than 10 to get the blue.

If this was an intended change, you'd think it would have made it into the patch notes. Perhaps I just missed it.

Just curious but are you actually crafting with a companion that has very high or max affection with you? Also using a companion that has a bonus to crit crafting is more favorable. I don't know but I get the feeling alot of people are just crafting the item they want/need with 1-5 companions as long as they have the mats, even though their affection with certain companions are almost close to zero.

Just curious but what market? On my server rep side, theres hardly any crafting shemantic, crafting missions and any weapons or mods listed are all from dailies.

When I once made something for a random person on my server, he immediately asked me if he could befriend me because he could never see willpower implants on the GTN only strength. If the RE chance gets boosted, people will have more succes across the board with every craft, letting people sell their purple discoveries more easily.

The more people that can do this, the more the market gets used and the prices wont get jacked up to ridiculous. People might actually start enjoying crafting, making it worthwihile to place your mats on the GTN to sell so that others with excess creds can craft even more. 'Dunno about you but to me if my example actually is going to happen then that will make the market alive not ruin it. Heck there is no market to ruin atm, at least not on my server, could be different on yours of course.

Edited by Spero-Mcgee

Just curious but are you actually crafting with a companion that has very high or max affection with you? Also using a companion that has a bonus to crit crafting is more favorable. I don't know but I get the feeling alot of people are just crafting the item they want/need with 1-5 companions as long as they have the mats, even though their affection with certain companions are almost close to zero.

Affection has nothing to do with reverse engineering.

Don't think crafters are elite at all in this game. With the exception of Biochem most crafters don't really make anything of real value endgame. Mostly it will help you lvl and maybe give a boost to start raiding or hard flash points. The lvl 49 equip is pretty much useless right now as part of the crafting economy. I can make a lvl 40 purple and sell it for about the same profit as a lvl 49 on my server. I'm an armormech. Re the enforcer boots to superior cost me about 80 iron. Don't see anyway to make that type of money back. Can't sell a superior for 90k given that it takes 8 iron. I doubt anyone would pay for master to make up for the cost of superior. Just kinda disappointed all around with crafting in this game. If you put in the time there should be some type of reward at the end. My character makes his money selling mats and slicing.

Affection has nothing to do with reverse engineering.

Im not talking about the RE itself, but if you companions crit craft and get an augment on them whatever, wouldnt that improve the RE chance? At least to me it would make sense, that a companion would take more care with his/her crafting when they like you more, hence whenever you RE an item made by that companion the chance should be higher than the same item made by a companion with a lower affection, imho.

But then I suppose by logic you could reason, that YOU are the one RE, but yeah I dunno.

If your skill is too low then you cant RE higher lvl items, but youre not the one with the skill but your companions. The RE system really makes no sense in this regard.

I personally have no problem with the rate of the RE resulting in an upgraded schematic prior to this bug. In fact, it felt about right to be honest. As others have said, purples are supposed to be rare and if I have to craft 20 blues and RE them to get a purple schematic then I'm fine with that.

As for removing the problem where you learn a design by RE that you already know, I'm happy with that being changed.

Now maybe the devs can do something about the length of crafting jobs. It doesn't help the viability of crafters when you are trying to sell your goods direct and then when you get a request for an order you have to tell someone it'll take you an hour to make a single piece.

Can't you just allow two (or more) companions to work on the same crafting job and allow it to finish faster?