Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

Can't you just answer the question? Like I said I was on for every downtime so far, I didn't complain. Why are you and these other people?

Your downtime is timed to affect the LEAST US customers, the EU times is not for that to happen and so be treated equally the downtime would need to be in the AM in the EU.It's about receiving the same service as the US a service that the EU pays MORE for.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple fact is why bother having EU servers if the maintenance window is not geared towards affecting the least amount of EU based players playing on those Eu servers? Anyone from the US, playing on a US server honestly has no valid input when trying to belittle those highlighting the lack of fairness with the timing, since it is of no consequence to them (since the US servers have an appropriate downtime).

Sadly, its a move that i entirely expected since EU servers are often treated like crap in MMOs.

Edited by AKfourtyseven

The reason there is global maintenance instead of separate times is because it hasn't been only "maintenance", but also a patch. When you're dealing with a patch, the only way to have the patch times be different is to completely segregate the regions, so EU players with their freshly patched game can't play on the not-yet-patched US servers. It would become a development nightmare to try and keep global playing while also having different patch times, and it would piss off more players because "they get the patch before we do". Tell me of a MMO that allows cross-region playing without a global patch downtime?

As for why EU can't have it during the night, it's not because Bioware thinks US is more important than EU, but because EU is physically located to the east. 3 AM GMT downtime is great for EU, but that puts the downtime at starting at 7 pm PST, and running for the rest of the NA prime time. Having to scheduled for GMT -8 through GMT +2 doesn't make for many timespans that can reasonably accommodate everyone. You might be complaining about mid-day downtimes in EU, but how about GMT +10? They're being hurt more then you are, but you don't care about that. You complain about mid-day patches, but you want to give them mid-day patches. I'm sure Australia would love it if downtime was during their night and during EU's prime time, and NA wouldn't care as much as EU because it would be happening mid-day.

What's worse, EU having downtime during the early part of the day or NA having downtime during the evening? Yes, parts of EU get slightly affected at the start of their prime time, but only if the maintenance lasts the full 8 hours and gets into extended. The alternative is to have NA seriously affected on every single maintenance.

Having employees come in during the middle of the night is very inconvenient for Bioware, so I'm sure they picked the time span where the fewest number of players globally are logged in. No matter what time they choose, players are affected.

Can't you just answer the question? Like I said I was on for every downtime so far, I didn't complain. Why are you and these other people?

Are you thick or just a troll? Why does anyone complain about anything? To express dissatisfaction in the hope of effecting change. I imagine there are a huge number of non-compaining subscribers (like me, for example) for whom this isn't such a big deal. We don't care enough about the service being unavailable to complain about it. Those that do care enough, complain in the hope that EA will change something.

Is that a clear enough answer to your question?

Are you denying these people the right to complain? Complaints are what improves stuff. If no-one complains then nothing will change. I don't feel the need to complain about this issue, but I certainly wouldn't be so bloody arrogant as to deny anyone else the right to do so.

but how about GMT +10? They're being hurt more then you are, but you don't care about that.

except that there are no official servers for that timezone. So yeah, they should make an "asian timezone" serverlist or something, and then start fixing mantainance time for them too.

I believe many NA players posting in this topic don't really understand the larger issue beneath those few hours of inconvenient maintenance times.

Up until recently, the EU gamer community (which imo contains many of the most loyal and enthousiastic gamers) have been the underdogs of the gaming industry. For years we've had to put up with long waits for bad localisations (or no localisations at all, having to resort to imports), bad customer service and higher relative pricing.

In recent years, things got better. One only has to look at Operation Rainfall for the Wii to see the EU community has been treated better nowadays.

For many of us, SWTOR's lack of a European maintenance window symbolizes a throwback to that Dark Age when there were only NA servers, NA customer support etc.

Also, the argument that there are more NA players really doesn't hold. Even if you're a majority, it's only a marginal one, and the EU playerbase is large enough regardless of relativity to warrant an independant customer service.

It's not simply a matter of inaccessibility due to maintenance time, it's a matter of respect and consideration for your customers.

The reason there is global maintenance instead of separate times is because it hasn't been only "maintenance", but also a patch. When you're dealing with a patch, the only way to have the patch times be different is to completely segregate the regions, so EU players with their freshly patched game can't play on the not-yet-patched US servers. It would become a development nightmare to try and keep global playing while also having different patch times, and it would piss off more players because "they get the patch before we do". Tell me of a MMO that allows cross-region playing without a global patch downtime?

As for why EU can't have it during the night, it's not because Bioware thinks US is more important than EU, but because EU is physically located to the east. 3 AM GMT downtime is great for EU, but that puts the downtime at starting at 7 pm PST, and running for the rest of the NA prime time. Having to scheduled for GMT -8 through GMT +2 doesn't make for many timespans that can reasonably accommodate everyone. You might be complaining about mid-day downtimes in EU, but how about GMT +10? They're being hurt more then you are, but you don't care about that. You complain about mid-day patches, but you want to give them mid-day patches. I'm sure Australia would love it if downtime was during their night and during EU's prime time, and NA wouldn't care as much as EU because it would be happening mid-day.

What's worse, EU having downtime during the early part of the day or NA having downtime during the evening? Yes, parts of EU get slightly affected at the start of their prime time, but only if the maintenance lasts the full 8 hours and gets into extended. The alternative is to have NA seriously affected on every single maintenance.

Having employees come in during the middle of the night is very inconvenient for Bioware, so I'm sure they picked the time span where the fewest number of players globally are logged in. No matter what time they choose, players are affected.

I am sure if TRION can handle Separate Maintenance times so can Bio Ware. And players on Rift can play USA and EU servers no matter where they live. So there are ways around that whole OMG I patched and can not play on other side now...Trion has it an uses it for Rift

And Since the EU servers are in EU that is not an issue.

And I live +2 gmt and am more than slightly effected, as are alot of other countries

Schools where I live get out around noon

People work various shifts so I suppose the fact that our servers are listed as full and high populated during most the maintenance time means very little?

And Yes I do care about Aussie players as well and know it is BS they get crapped on as well. I have met alot of nice mates in mmo's and since I normally play on Aussie servers (Trion has that omg) I do care

The reason there is global maintenance instead of separate times is because it hasn't been only "maintenance", but also a patch. When you're dealing with a patch, the only way to have the patch times be different is to completely segregate the regions, so EU players with their freshly patched game can't play on the not-yet-patched US servers. It would become a development nightmare to try and keep global playing while also having different patch times

Your argument only makes any sense if you envisage players with a single client connecting to different servers across the world. Possible, but a really small minority. Even then they could run 2 client installations.

The client must already check the version of the server with the client version in order to automate the patch process so I don't see what the problem is there.

The "we want our patch first" argument is still theoretically valid, but I don't see too many threads on here insisting we retain the same patch times as US servers. Quite a few about having overnight EU maintenance though....

You're going to get seperate maintenance schedules... eventually. But for right now you have to deal with the way it is. My point is complaining about it isn't going to make it happen any sooner. It'll be ready when it's ready. They have much more important issues to take care of right now.

Well then alternate it and we can take turns? How about them apples?

The simple fact is why bother having EU servers if the maintenance window is not geared towards affecting the least amount of EU based players playing on those Eu servers? Anyone from the US, playing on a US server honestly has no valid input when trying to belittle those highlighting the lack of fairness with the timing, since it is of no consequence to them (since the US servers have an appropriate downtime).

Sadly, its a move that i entirely expected since EU servers are often treated like crap in MMOs.

Why bother? Really?

How about latency?

The only way? Wut? Example (GMT times):

02:00 - 09:00 EU maintenance.

08:00 - 15:00 (02:00 - 09:00 west coast time) US maintenance.

Where's the patch problem? Either the US or the EU servers are down. Europeans get their patch, the US servers go down, US players have to wait till their servers come up and can instantly patch their client and even log in to the EU servers without a problem. Where is the problem exactly?

Australia is out of the picture. There are no australian servers. There are EU servers. Simple difference. You assume maintenance has to be done on all servers at the same time, which is obviously wrong.

During the last maintenance we had downtime till 19:00 and then an hour in the queue. Some had 3 hours in the queue. That's a whole day off. No difference at all actually. EU gets seriously affected.

I don't give a sh*t. Really. The EU servers are located in Ireland. The company I signed my deal with is located in the UK. Where's the "middle of the night" problem now? The US team can perform the EU maintenance in normal working hours and same thing works the other way around. No problem.

Regards,

Kalantris

Edited by Kalantris

Are you thick or just a troll? Why does anyone complain about anything? To express dissatisfaction in the hope of effecting change. I imagine there are a huge number of non-compaining subscribers (like me, for example) for whom this isn't such a big deal. We don't care enough about the service being unavailable to complain about it. Those that do care enough, complain in the hope that EA will change something.

Is that a clear enough answer to your question?

Are you denying these people the right to complain? Complaints are what improves stuff. If no-one complains then nothing will change. I don't feel the need to complain about this issue, but I certainly wouldn't be so bloody arrogant as to deny anyone else the right to do so.

BioWare is already aware of this issue. They will address it when they feel like it. Complaining over and over and over gets you nowhere. Constant whinning only gets you mocked, ridiculed or ignored. ;)

BioWare is already aware of this issue. They will address it when they feel like it. Complaining over and over and over gets you nowhere. Constant whinning only gets you mocked, ridiculed or ignored. ;)

Imho you're wrong. It's not only our right but also our duty to complain as customers to make sure the service gets better and better. Every feedback is a good feedback and every company knows that. Furthermore it will show us how Bioware treats their customers. If they fail people will take their money elsewhere. Simple.

Regards,

Kalantris

Why do you keep posting here WrecklessMEDIC? YOU are actually complaining even more than anyone else in this topic atm? If Bioware dont like us to say when we are unhappy about something THEY will close the thread.... We dont need you "running" around in this thread with your "holier than thou" attitude.

Alot of people are unhappy with this so then we have no right to complain because you dont approve?

Imho you're wrong. It's not only our right but also our duty to complain as customers to make sure the service gets better and better. Every feedback is a good feedback and every company knows that. Furthermore it will show us how Bioware treats their customers. If they fail people will take their money elsewhere. Simple.

Regards,

Kalantris

Really? It's your duty to complain? Sorry, but it's not going to help. You're going to be waiting a really long time for a change, my friend.

Why do you keep posting here WrecklessMEDIC? YOU are actually complaining even more than anyone else in this topic atm? If Bioware dont like us to say when we are unhappy about something THEY will close the thread.... We dont need you "running" around in this thread with your "holier than thou" attitude.

it's called trolling. the more we feed him the more he'll do that. just ignore him until he actually says something that makes sense

There seems to be some confusion by some. maybe the post are too long and hard to read to get the facts or maybe the ban wagon is easier to hop on and not really know what ride you are taking.

EU players are NOT asking for anything to change in USA Maintenance we are only asking that the EU maintenance be changed to a time that is our off time as well.

No change to USA (does not effect them in anyway )

Only change would be to EU servers and player

Really? It's your duty to complain? Sorry, but it's not going to help. You're going to be waiting a really long time for a change, my friend.

Yep, it is. How else do you expect the companies to improve their service if they don't get feedback from you. The only way to actually make people do something is either make them beg their colleagues to do it to get you off their backs or take your money away from them. In all other situations people tend to be lazy as hell.

That's why we have to complain. Not only for our own sake, but also for the sake of other customers, who will benefit from our complains.

Regards,

Kalantris

Yep, it is. How else do you expect the companies to improve their service if they don't get feedback from you. The only way to actually make people do something is either make them beg their colleagues to do it to get you off their backs or take your money away from them. In all other situations people tend to be lazy as hell.

That's why we have to complain. Not only for our own sake, but also for the sake of other customers, who will benefit from our complains.

Regards,

Kalantris

Well, good luck with that... I guess.:rolleyes:

When people stop voicing their concern about these issues in games they usually stopped caring.

Customer loyalty goes a long way, ask Blizzard they got an amazing amount of dedicated fans.

If you want the exact opposite, well look at EA, Warhammer and Europe.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Well, good luck with that... I guess.:rolleyes:

Thanks. I guess ;).

When people stop voicing their concern about these issues in games they usually stopped caring.

Customer loyalty goes a long way, ask Blizzard they got an amazing amount of dedicated fans.

If you want the exact opposite, well look at EA, Warhammer and Europe.

Exactly that.

Regards,

Kalantris