1.7 Ilum - World PvP Revived or Removed?

Vistaer

Just wanted some confirmation - someone on another site commented "Yay, no PvP" about Ilum. This isn't true is it? I wanted to make sure that the Ilum zone being used for 1.7 Return of the Gree will be a world-PvP zone, with BW's re-attempt to fix World PvP.

Afterall, World PvP a feature of the game which was essentially removed, which to this day I still think is a huge black mark on SWTOR. It was sad that when it launched it didn't work well, then was broken more, then finally abandoned. It's hard for EA which had one the best PvP MMOs - WAR - to claim they can't get World PvP right to the point of abandoning it. Major MMOs like GW2, and upcoming TESO flaunt how much they are backing world PvP, and my hope was 1.7 would finally reintroduce world PvP to Ilum.

Ilum was such a huge letdown. All my friends wanted to play on a PvE server. Fine, I conceded, because Ilum was supposed to be my domain.

From the getgo, it was lackluster. PvP was segregated into one little out-of-the-way corner. Then what little incentive people had to go to that corner was totally removed. ***?

Take a look at Outlaw's Den. There are random boxes of WZ Comms sitting around waiting for people to just swoop in and pick them up. But again, it is just a little out-of-the-way corner. Hardly anyone ever goes there because they don't expect to find much, and are afraid of getting jumped.

But imagine this on a larger, planetary scale. If the entire planet of Ilum was covered in WZ Comm boxes, and Armaments for the old daily/weekly missions, people would go scavenging for them, because they would be so widespread that the odds of finding them were worth the odds of getting jumped. More people would participate.

I believe the entire planet of Ilum should be a PvP zone (But not FFA like Tat). WZ Comm boxes and Armaments should be scattered all over the planet. Now people have 3 reasons to go: WZ Comm boxes, Armaments, and traditional PvE Dailies. Think of the chaos that would ensue!

And people wonder why players get bored, complain about lack of content, and move on. Open World PvP is a source of endless player-generated content. It never gets stale or boring because every encounter is unique, different, and challenging. And Pug whiners that Premades are ruining their Warzones would have a viable alternative to them.

I hope EAware is smart enough to recognize this, and brave enough to do something with it.

Edited by Arlanon

Ilum was such a huge letdown. All my friends wanted to play on a PvE server. Fine, I conceded, because Ilum was supposed to be my domain.

From the getgo, it was lackluster. PvP was segregated into one little out-of-the-way corner. Then what little incentive people had to go to that corner was totally removed. ***?

Take a look at Outlaw's Den. There are random boxes of WZ Comms sitting around waiting for people to just swoop in and pick them up. But again, it is just a little out-of-the-way corner. Hardly anyone ever goes there because they don't expect to find much, and are afraid of getting jumped.

But imagine this on a larger, planetary scale. If the entire planet of Ilum was covered in WZ Comm boxes, and Armaments for the old daily/weekly missions, people would go scavenging for them, because they would be so widespread that the odds of finding them were worth the odds of getting jumped. More people would participate.

I believe the entire planet of Ilum should be a PvP zone (But not FFA like Tat). WZ Comm boxes and Armaments should be scattered all over the planet. Now people have 3 reasons to go: WZ Comm boxes, Armaments, and traditional PvE Dailies. Think of the chaos that would ensue!

And people wonder why players get bored, complain about lack of content, and move on. Open World PvP is a source of endless player-generated content. It never gets stale or boring because every encounter is unique, different, and challenging. And Pug whiners that Premades are ruining their Warzones would have a viable alternative to them.

I hope EAware is smart enough to recognize this, and brave enough to do something with it.

I personally thinkg guild/group FFA would be best, as it would take pressure of the pubs who are severely underpopulated on most servers. Plus if the rewards were decent for group fights (hell even a different title or some ****) it would start a lot of fun.

I personally thinkg guild/group FFA would be best, as it would take pressure of the pubs who are severely underpopulated on most servers. Plus if the rewards were decent for group fights (hell even a different title or some ****) it would start a lot of fun.

One of the things that made Anarchy Online PvP fun were the PvP titles. As you killed players, you earned an invisible point tally. When that tally reached a certain threshold, you earned a new title. Defeating players with a title above yours would give you more points, and defeating players with a lower title would earn you less points.

The fun part was that this was dynamic. Being defeated caused you to lose points. If you were defeated by a player with a higher title, you didn't lose many points. If you got defeated by a player with a lower title, you lost a lot more points.

Getting your title wasn't enough, you had to defend it. Here in SWTOR you simply get a new title by doing a lot of PvP, even if you aren't any good at it. You see people with Conqueror or Elite Warlord titles, and it doesn't necessarily mean they are good. It just means they do a lot of PvP. In AO, when you saw someone with a Grandmaster title, you knew he was freaking good.

12 years later you'd think we were supposed to have learned from the past and improved upon it. Instead we are dumbing everything down. Then again, 12 years ago the internet was for smart people.

Edited by Arlanon

I don't see how sticking pve content and a world boss into Ilum's contested area is going to encourage open world pvp. Sure, maybe for a week or two we'll see some action there but just like outlaws den and the HK quests - it'll be deserted again in no time. Giving pvp players a pvp reason to do it would have been a better idea, not this gree nonsense.

Ilum has two problems and this patch will not fix them:

1., game design problems - Bioware simply doesn't have a clue about competitive playing. Bioware was a good storyteller company, made nice single player RPGs (last of the line was Mass Effect 2). SWTOR PvP has very basic structural problems.

2., technical issues: the engine cannot handle big player groups on the same map. It's working fine when 16 player fighting in an arena - but it can't handle much more people. The game engine needs a complete rewriting to handle big open world battles... and this doesn't gonna happen.

Even if 1.7 does bring back ilum, we all remember the lagfest that was associated with it. They game engine hasn't changed at all. 1.7 will just bring lag to you. And to those that say it was our computer, you never experienced pre 1.2 ilum.

Yeah i see this happening too.