So, why did they nerf (remove) commendation drops?

MCAMCJ

Title pretty much says it... For the past 2 days across 3 chars and 2 servers (and 2 different server regions to boot), I have not had a single commendation drop. Now, the drop rate used to be pretty low, but now they're non esixtant.. and I'm the type of player who generally kills all mobs I pass by, and, for instance on hutta, I generally end up with 15 or more by the time I'm done.

Now, most of you will say "big deal" or otherwise try to troll this thread, but the point here is 1. the drop rate was already pretty bad, 2. you don't get nigh enough commendations from mission rewards to buy anything, and 3. getting new gear as you level is pretty important.

So, what say you bioware? What's the deal?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Title pretty much says it... For the past 2 days across 3 chars and 2 servers (and 2 different server regions to boot), I have not had a single commendation drop. Now, the drop rate used to be pretty low, but now they're non esixtant.. and I'm the type of player who generally kills all mobs I pass by, and, for instance on hutta, I generally end up with 15 or more by the time I'm done.

Now, most of you will say "big deal" or otherwise try to troll this thread, but the point here is 1. the drop rate was already pretty bad, 2. you don't get nigh enough commendations from mission rewards to buy anything, and 3. getting new gear as you level is pretty important.

So, what say you bioware? What's the deal?

relog....if this is your first mmo then you dont know that your "luck" is set when you login like rolls....some logins are higher rolls, others are average lower.....its fact

if you notice you kill 50 mobs and have barely gotten a decent drop...relog and try again

relog....if this is your first mmo then you dont know that your "luck" is set when you login like rolls....some logins are higher rolls, others are average lower.....its fact

if you notice you kill 50 mobs and have barely gotten a decent drop...relog and try again

You're pretty well convinced that stepping on a crack will, in fact, cause your mother back pain, aren't you?

You're going to reply with some variation on "you can get a bad RNG seed!/computer numbers aren't really random!", and you'll be wrong. Well, you'd be half right with the latter statement, but it won't be relevant to what the OP's experiencing.

OP, random numbers are random. You are one very small anecdotal sample in a very very large sea of data. the drops weren't nerfed, you just had an off streak.

Edited by Ardelia

That is the way it's supposed to be but personally I think they set my characters to "low" on creation! I almost never get a commendation drop and haven't since the game went live. ;)

Definitely not my first mmo lol.. I know all about RNG and whatnot. There is a difference between RNG and something being broken however; whether it be a bug or bad mechanics. But I do know, that in the amount of time I've been playing already, up until yesterday I have never once not gotten - at the very least - 1 commendation drop.

I've also played at completely different times of day, closed the game completely between times played, rebooted my system earlier, etc. Tossing out "it's RNG" like a (fake) boss doesn't do anything or solve anything, and in fact all it does is give devs a reason not to do their job.

Especially considering that for the past 2 hours I have been doing nothing but farming elites and strongs, some time between now and yesterday there should have been, at minimum, 1 commendation drop. I haven't seen a single one. That's not "bad luck" or rng, that's bad mechanics.

You're pretty well convinced that stepping on a crack will, in fact, cause your mother back pain, aren't you?

You're going to reply with some variation on "you can get a bad RNG seed!/computer numbers aren't really random!", and you'll be wrong. Well, you'd be half right with the latter statement, but it won't be relevant to what the OP's experiencing.

OP, random numbers are random. You are one very small anecdotal sample in a very very large sea of data. the drops weren't nerfed, you just had an off streak.

Under normal circumstances I might buy that explanation. But we're not talking 1 char with bad luck. We're talking about 3 chars on 2 different servers, and working on a 4th char with 0 commendation drops. 1 server is the swidtsure (west coast), and the other is Master Dar'Nala (asia pacific). Bad luck on RNG does not scale across regions, servers or characters. It becomes bad mechanics - at the very least- at this point.

Definitely not my first mmo lol.. I know all about RNG and whatnot. There is a difference between RNG and something being broken however; whether it be a bug or bad mechanics. But I do know, that in the amount of time I've been playing already, up until yesterday I have never once not gotten - at the very least - 1 commendation drop.

I've also played at completely different times of day, closed the game completely between times played, rebooted my system earlier, etc. Tossing out "it's RNG" like a (fake) boss doesn't do anything or solve anything, and in fact all it does is give devs a reason not to do their job.

Especially considering that for the past 2 hours I have been doing nothing but farming elites and strongs, some time between now and yesterday there should have been, at minimum, 1 commendation drop. I haven't seen a single one. That's not "bad luck" or rng, that's bad mechanics.

No dude, that's just bad luck. Just because I've been buying lottery tickets for years and still haven't won doesn't make the lottery bad mechanics, I just have bad luck.

Tossing out "it's RNG" like a (fake) boss doesn't do anything or solve anything, and in fact all it does is give devs a reason not to do their job.

Assuming that your anecdotal, short-term experiences are universal and statistically reflective of global reality doesn't solve anything, either.

You DO understand that any random or pseuo-random system is supposed to contain streaks, both up and down, correct?

Edited by Ardelia

50 what extra stuff were you doing? Multiple runs of the Heroics? Most I've ever got for a planet was like 24.

Ran with a partner. Comms seem to drop in bunches when grouped with at least one other person.

Ran with a partner. Comms seem to drop in bunches when grouped with at least one other person.

That is definitely true and is one of the best "selfish" reasons for grouping up in open areas of the game. If I'm out in an area doing a kill 700 nuglings type mission and see someone else doing the same, I'll almost always toss an invite cause we can 1. get the grind done faster 2. Get a lot more commendation drops -- by far than doing it alone and 3. In theory you get social points (my current project, a L49 trooper, is stuck on zero social though. But that's another story)

I'm sorry but you obviously don't understand randomness, if you don't know how you can go on a long lossing streak and the game still remains random. If you flip a coin, it is possible for the coin to come up heads 10 times in a row. And yet the probability that the coin will turn up heads remains at 50% for each toss. With a large sample of tosses, you will see the approximate 50% ratio, but for any given sub sample that ratio could be different.

I'm sorry but you obviously don't understand randomness, if you don't know how you can go on a long lossing streak and the game still remains random. If you flip a coin, it is possible for the coin to come up heads 10 times in a row. And yet the probability that the coin will turn up heads remains at 50% for each toss. With a large sample of tosses, you will see the approximate 50% ratio, but for any given sub sample that ratio could be different.

Put another way...

If you get the expected distribution every single time, for every given sample size, the system is not sufficiently random.

Having a 10% chance work 1 time out of 10, every time, is more broken than having it sometimes work 1 time in 20, and sometimes work 1 time in 5.

Put another way...

If you get the expected distribution every single time, for every given sample size, the system is not sufficiently random.

Having a 10% chance work 1 time out of 10, every time, is more broken than having it sometimes work 1 time in 20, and sometimes work 1 time in 5.

I have quite a few alts and have run the starter worlds quite a few times. Commendations are random. Most of the time I get just enough commendations to buy the chest piece of armor from the Special Items vendor. Other times I do not get enough or end up with more commendations than I can spend.

That's not "bad luck" or rng, that's bad mechanics.

Given the rather small minority you appear to be in and you have so many people telling you it is working as normal (I picked up two more since that last post simply doing the quest directly outside DK space port)... it is LUCK however much you wish to try and paint it otherwise.

I've just been questing on Taris (Imp side) and have had 6 Taris Commendations drop in about 3 hours of playing. Which seems about normal.

I know you don't want to hear it, but it does seem like you're just having bad luck rather than any kind of stealth nerf.

Edited by Cernow

Last night in a few hours, I got 34 commendations on Hoth, only 3 runs of Heroics. Rest were quest rewards and serious falling-like-mana-loot. I've made 20 chars so far across 4 servers. Usually leave the starting planet with one shy of what I need for the chest, or just enough. I made a BH a few days ago, and got enough to outfit BOTH her AND Mako, it was insane.

Usually, I have around what I need, or a little less. Flashpoint dailies also give comms, so I've bought a couple artifact boxes. Clearly, the RNG is as streaky here as it has been in other games (Evercrack crafting broke me forever, I still have my lucky chair at just the right height, with the special cupholder:D )