PvP Season One Blog

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And better balancing, please. More often, and taking more player feedback into account. Also, explanations of controversial changes could help. ("We felt this move needed to do more damage because SPECIFIC EXAMPLE GOES HERE")

also, if you could stop ignoring that issue with the roll leaving you immobilized so you have to leave the warzone, that'd be nice.

Edited by Phorenzyk

That's great and all...but the arrogance and incompetence of not only starting season one without class adjustments, you are starting it without cross servers. These functions will be great for the two NA servers that still have ranked teams left, but most of the other servers are dead as far as ranked goes.

Would be pretty cool i think. I hope that the rewards are not just cool armor, i hope they do something or have special abilities linked to them as well. That would make for a much greater reward. Not saying i have anything against awesome looking armor. :)

I haven't been playing for 2 years straight with the same people. I will probably never do 4v4 ranked, because every game my team will probably get slaughtered. Guess ill only do solo ranked.

Like everything, it takes practice. I imagine a lot of new teams will be entering the ranked 4v4 scene to get those rewards, so you might as well start now trying to find a core group of people. Don't get discouraged, even the best lose, learn from your mistakes.

I have a few questions about season 1. I play one of those classes that bioware has said needs some love. My understanding is that we will see something in 2.6. I do not know the date when 2.6 will be coming out but I am pretty sure it's after season one starts.

Now my question is do I participate in ranked knowing my ranking will go down because my class is not balanced?

I fear that if my ranking gets too low I will not be able to get back up to where I should be.

How will the system be rated?

Going from top of the charts last man standing in 8v 8 to bottom of the ranks, first man dead in 4 v 4 is extreme vexing.

When is the soft release date for 2.6?

Not worried about group ranking but very concerned about solo ranking.

It's a legit question

Edited by warstory

Sounds good!

These are long overdue, but I'm glad they're coming.

Next big task (season 2?) cross server queues, please.

This. If you guys simply just announce that you are working hard on cross-server to be ready for season 2, it will make people happy.

Um, really? You guys are seriously going to start the season right before 2.5 (class change patch)?

This too. Seems like it should launch with 2.5.

Edited by Stncold

I have a few questions about season 1. I play one of those classes that bioware has said needs some love. My understanding is that we will see something in 2.6. I do not know the date when 2.6 will be coming out but I am pretty sure it's after season one starts.

Now my question is do I participate in ranked knowing my ranking will go down because my class is not balanced?

I fear that if my ranking gets too low I will not be able to get back up to where I should be.

How will the system be rated?

Going from top of the charts last man standing in 8v 8 to bottom of the ranks, first man dead in 4 v 4 is extreme vexing.

When is the soft release date for 2.6?

Not worried about group ranking but very concerned about solo ranking.

Player Skill still remains the greatest factor in determining a win in PvP.

I seen that svid manic has of his GROUP vs the devs when his tk sage was not focused the entire game and act like tk is fine. It is not especially in solo q I dont care how good u are. When u play with randoms who don't know group play expect to die and lose. If the other team has even a little bit of a clue. Edited by warstory

Seriously, no disrespect but don't be foolish some specs can only walk into a arena with a group

That's only true when you're playing the same classes as the opponents.

I think you all underestimate how many bad players enter the ranked q. I predominantly play my Commando (definetely not a FOTM and arguably in need of a buff) yet I have a 5:1 win ratio. This means that I get carried a disproportionate amount of the time or I am able to carry my team irregardless of class imbalance.

The fact of the matter is, not enough people q at any given time to have ELO matter. Who you get paired against is only a reflection of who happens to be q'd at that time. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad players on both sides.

For example, a player didn't have a stim on so I suggested he go buy some. He replied I have stims it only lasts 15 seconds (he was trying to use PvE stims in arenas and didn't know about the 2 hour reusable stims). There was a vanguard who got no protection after a round so I suggested he use a taunt. He replied, why would I use that, it's a waste of GCD and the dmg reduction is meh. There are countless people who enter arenas with under 30k hp. So yes, the current state of arenas is whichever teams has more skill will win because it is consumed with so many bads.

For those complaining about class balance, go do 4v4 ranked. I am sure a top tier team will show how viable Operative DPS or Sage DPS or Merc Heals is against you because they are better players.

TLDR: Arenas do not match skill v. skill they match the few ppl in q v. the other few ppl.

I wonder if we will be able to compare across classes. Kind of sounds like we will just be seeing the top "Marauder" or top "Sniper". I would be more curious of the top "DPS Class" and "Top Healer" which can help bring balance.

But I guess we will see.

Are ranked PvP warzones/Arenas really what this game needs?

Generally PvP is a contentious topic with calls for nerfs or balance and accusations of exploits, hacks and cheating. Adding a score to your wins and loses will only make such that much more of an issue with people quicker to find umbridge with a bad game as they watch their place on the leader board drop.

Then there is the issue of gear dependence and at least in the past how infrequently the ranked warzones would pop. Generally its not much fun to be steam rollered by a better geared, better organised team (though its great fun doing it). Now to have everyone be able to look at I wonder if it wont just turn people off from PvPing now anyone that logs on to the website can see how bad they are. Maybe more due to lack of equipment and organisation than the ability to manage cool downs. Will this cause ranked warzones to be even less popular than they were before.

And then I wonder how it fits into Star Wars The Old Republic. For many people it was the Lure of Star Wars that brought them to the game, the finely crafted story of KOTOR and hell that it was Bioware the people that gave us Dragon Age Origin and Mass Effect. Prelaunch the selling points were unique story, dialogue, companions etc. Its less clear how ranked warzones fit into this with them feeling more in line with a lobby based console FPS than an MMO based in a time of war.

It seems that for the very best PvPers this will be a great addition but for the vast majority of players it will either turn them off from PvP or bring nothing to the game. I wonder how many of the "Players’ have long requested ways to compare their proficiency against each other" considered they maybe in the bottom half of the table. And if they will still want to compare when they find themselves there.