Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I actually don't think bioware can do anything about it at this point. Its a bit too late for that since the problem is actually at the implementation of the code (not a lag or fps issue etc) The whole game is based on it. As a computer engineer, I think you shouldn't keep your hopes up about bioware doing something about this. I've never seen a game which actually did something about this issue (And its way too common)

I see, I wonder if throwing in an auto attack animation would make those abilities at least look more smoothly when transitioning.

I have not considered this but there might be something to it... then again, how does WoW handle Monk Class (it has no Auto Attack). But I think this is worth contemplating... the whole auto-attack thing...

But I actually don't think bioware can do anything about it at this point. Its a bit too late for that since the problem is actually at the implementation of the code (not a lag or fps issue etc) The whole game is based on it. As a computer engineer, I think you shouldn't keep your hopes up about bioware doing something about this. I've never seen a game which actually did something about this issue (And its way too common)

Sadly I agree, once it has been in a game it has never been "fixed". As I recall, WoW largely played smooth (although it had so many other issues) when it launched...

My fear as well is coding/engine...

Thank you for posting this, it's been bothering since the first day of early access and I hope they manage to tighten it up a bit.

Also, Bioware please add a colorblind mode to the UI. I'm not colorblind myself, but some of the people I play with are and they constantly get "mixed up" because of the colors used in the UI.

I have not considered this but there might be something to it... then again, how does WoW handle Monk Class (it has no Auto Attack). But I think this is worth contemplating... the whole auto-attack thing...

I don't know why they decided to make a spammable auto attack type move, and attach it to the GCD. For this type of game I honestly would have had an auto attack in between the abilities (like WoW) and a 1 second GCD.

I mean, I personally like the combat, but it could definitely be faster. Although I'm not sure if that really has to do with responsiveness.

Edited by Jaku

Agree, I can deal with a lot of bug (visual, fps, map...), but this "unresponsivness" is becoming more and more annoying, even more when you spam your abilities it become really bad in term of animation and sometimes cant even know (visually) if the skill was used or not.

Also dont know if other people have this bug but sometimes the ability shows its on cooldown when really its not and I can use it.

This is somthing that breaks my heart. I've been looking for close to a year now to find a game to replace wow with, and if not for this issue swtor would be it. PvE it's not too terrible only slightly annoying sometimes. PvP on the other hand....I would love to do warzones, but I have to force myself to stay away because I will not be able to perform the way I know I could without this problem.

A friend who hasn't bought the game yet asked me how it "feels". I explained to him that it feels as if I am telling my character where to go, instead of controlling him.

The developers were very protective over their animations, and thus, it has made the game feel less fluid, because of the animations. The best example I can give is when you are strafing left, then try to immediately strafe right, the character performs a quick .2 second animation for "turning around". That makes total sense for someone watching the game, it looks more organic and fluid; however, someone playing the game, it just feels like I am disconnected from my avatar.

I agree 100% with your statement about WoW. Love it or hate it, the animation is perfect. When you tell your character to do something, it immediately happens and manifests itself on screen. Abilities happen the second you hit them, this game feels like you are queuing everything up and waiting for the game to decide when its the right time to do it.

I also think it's killer for me. I find this "flaw" to be major.

This is the best thread so far about this issue.

I have experienced this since Beta and the OP could not of put it any better, he's exactly right. Right now this is by far the BIGGEST issue with TOR right now. If it is not fixed he is right -- it will become another Rift.

My biggest fear is that this is the result of the Hero engine. Hopefully it's just a fixable server issue.

I totally agree. Thank you for making this post, hopefully someone important will take notice and inform the Devs so we can see this fixed! I so love this game, it is unique for me but this is killing me. It's killing my enjoyment. Keep this in Page 1!

Thanks, what we need to do is really make them aware. Keep this on Page 1 until we get a response from a Bioware Dev. Regardless of what the response is... our job is to bring it to their attention, what they do with it... is out of our hands.

I totally agree. Thank you for making this post, hopefully someone important will take notice and inform the Devs so we can see this fixed! I so love this game, it is unique for me but this is killing me. It's killing my enjoyment. Keep this in Page 1!

Agreed, bump for a great thread. Great job, OP - keep your thread alive.