Guild Wars 2

Lium

I bought the game a while ago and play it whenever I need a little break from SWTOR. I like the questing system and how different it is from traditional MMOs. No NPC standing around with markers over their heads denoting an available quest.

Instead, you just go to an area and participate either in dynamic events or help NPCs with specific tasks. There are also points of interest to discover, as well as vistas where you can see a panoramic view of the surrounding area, all worth XP.

It's cool but it gets kind of repetitive. You essentially just run around and wait for a dynamic event or group event to start. I like it but then get bored and have to log out. However, I'm curious how everyone else feels about this quest system. Would you like to see future MMOs go this route, or stick to the traditional questing system?

it bored me after a while. got repetitive. so I log in once i na blue moon when I feel like a change of pace, but don't stick around for long. I think what could be nice is a combination of quests and public events - something you can join in on and participate in, but not have it as your sole option.

I believe, that's what Rift does (don't know for sure, as that game didn't grab me, so I never made it past starting area, but it wasn't due to questing system as much as visually and lore wise I was feeling kinda meh about it)

I bought the game a while ago and play it whenever I need a little break from SWTOR.

I use GW1 for the same purpose since I can't stand GW2's many flaws. Couldn't even get myself to finish the main storyline, that's how much I dislike that game.

i saw some really good reviews for GW2...then i bought it, and continued watching videos about it while it downloaded.

then i came across the Corpsealot youtube channel and watched his review of it...

very negative.

and once i got in game, i realized why. the dynamic events arent so dynamic. WvW pvp is a cool concept, and even though you can jump right into it, thats a filthy lie. you'll get smoked every five seconds, despite its version of bolster. PvP, still havent figured out how to get into a match as something other then spectator.

and even though they tried to get ride of the trinity system of class roles, you are going to end up having it anyway, because thats how people play.

only good thing about it is the buy once and thats it thing. and the graphics are pretty cool. however, the game could have done alot to avoid the feeling of a monotonous grind fest that feels ridiculous.

im keeping it around. maybe i can work through it. but, i just need to find the motivation to push myself to endgame.

I maxed a character because not doing so would have been such a waste but haven't touched the game since. There is literally nothing except grinding in that game. Every single activity is a repetitive grind with no substance beyond that. Not saying it's a bad game because of that, because some people love that sort of gameplay, but it's not for me at all.

The pve in guild wars 2 is unfathomably bad, with the lack of healers and tanks but mobs that still use aggro mechanics, and the whole point of pve in the first place (gearing up and increasing stats) being ignored by the stupid way it reduces your lvl/stats for a given dungeon or area.

The only thing i liked in gw2 was wvw, but to be honest that's getting boring. They reduced the matchup variance so now my server is facing the same handful of servers every week and things unfold much the same way every time (the same 4-5 hammer trains roaming around, the same coverage variances, etc.). Plus, the way they are constantly tweaking balance annoyed the hell out of me. That's only compounded by the fact that they don't consider wvw pvp, and they treat it as thought it were pve - like the upcoming berserker nerf in wvw/pve and not in spvp. Spvp, by the way, is crap. The same simplistic mode they recycled from like every game since the late 90s with a multiplayer component. Been there, done that, why bother when swtor has a far better warzone pvp system and I'm already subscribing.

I maxed a character because not doing so would have been such a waste but haven't touched the game since. There is literally nothing except grinding in that game. Every single activity is a repetitive grind with no substance beyond that. Not saying it's a bad game because of that, because some people love that sort of gameplay, but it's not for me at all.

I forgot about that, yeah. A legendary weapon that requires 100% map completion and like months of farming crap, or crafting ascended stuff if you can raise the 160 gold to get the crafting up enough - and only to get like 5% higher stat than exotic gear....

Edited by DrewFromPhilly

I could not get further than lvl 15 on GW2 before I got really bored. What bored me the most was the terrible gear system, every piece of armor looked the same, I even saw players 20 levels above me with similar looking gear as myself.

It does look similar early on, especially since most green quality of the same armour class looks the same. There are vast differences later on however.

Yeah, the grind is kind of my problem. I'm currently level 16 (like I said, I don't play it that much, just whenever I need a break from SWTOR) and it's hard for me to keep going because I realized that the only thing to do is join a XP train, and then run around and farm the same group events over and over again.

When you reach the appropriate level, you can continue your personal story quest. But not even that's interesting and the voice acting is painful to listen to.

But alas, it's a good break from SWTOR.

It's not a bad game, gets quite grindy though. I played it quite a bit as I enjoyed wandering around the world doing stuff. I must say though that after the opening zones, the areas get progressively less interesting. And Orr - the max level zone - is just ugh. I got really sick of all the damn zombies in the game.

It had some good ideas at least for people who want to play casually, quite a few conveniences, no subscription and pretty fast-paced and fun combat (I liked the lack of the holy trinity but unfortunately it sort of felt like the other extreme - too chaotic, not enough planning and tactic).

The main reason I quit it was that I didn't find the setting, story or characters appealing in the slightest (apart from a couple of fun characters). It's the kind of game I'd hop into when I want a quick fix of action-RPG fun, but not one I ever felt genuinely immersed in.