Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Graydon

Not intentionally TRYING to be a troll here, but I really must play devil's advocate for a moment, primarily for the US Servers... they have chat filters and ignore settings for a reason...after all, there is a little thing known as the First Amendment...some of you may want to google it, or just play on and complain about non US Servers... just a thought...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if Gen Chat wasn't so offensive that people had to turn it off, maybe you could find a group for a heroic, or get some help on a quest, or even do a little RP in chat.

There have been times in TOR when I saw this sort of stuff happening. It would be nice to have this again.

If some kid were in a restaurant cursing and screaming and threatening and calling people w**res, wouldn't you expect their parents to get them to knock it off? And if the parents did nothing about it, wouldn't you expect the restaurant to kick them out?

@LordFailstrom, Nobody is asking for Congress to get involved and pass laws ... Oh wait, that's not what you meant? Did you want to re-read the First Amendment and try again?

Edited by Khevar

SO how do you beat the bully?

Solution: You take the bully's power away. Turn off gen chat, /ignore people, /report them, create tickets stop being lazy, and for the love of pete don't respond to them. Responses give them fuel to test their constant douchey behavior.

Props to all the people who choose to behave in a responsible constructive manner i'm on your side.

-Ifo 50 Seer The Shadowlands

+1 good sir. This this this. While I loathe the idea of being forced to isolate myself from the general population just to avoid the few unimaginative mouth breathers whose presence taints general chat, I concede it is the only option at times. But if I do find myself unfortunate enough to see what has become par for the course in SW:TOR general chat, I will exercise my rights and report.

I don't want to look at naked middle aged women pole dancing, so my tendency is to stay out of nudie bars. It's my responsibility to stay out of such locations if I wish to be protected from viewing sad pathetic women shaking their behinds for equally sad pathetic men. However, I wouldn't hesitate to call the cops if Lady Godiva showed up at my 12 year old's birthday party.

An MMO is like my 12 year old's birthday party. Freedom of speech and expression do not apply.

Edited by Kabjat

An MMO is like my 12 year old's birthday party. Freedom of speech and expression do not apply.

all my post was intended to point out is that ^^^this^^^ attitude is a matter of opinion, given all of the words that i have seen blocked out with the chat filter on, I really don't see where all this room for getting uppity about language is coming from...not to mention the fact that ignoring people makes it nice and easy to not even see the constant ******* bleep outs...

End argument for me:

I, personally, believe people these days are far too easily offended in a world that is nothing but offensive to most...

feel free to disagree, it is your prerogative..

all my post was intended to point out is that ^^^this^^^ attitude is a matter of opinion, given all of the words that i have seen blocked out with the chat filter on, I really don't see where all this room for getting uppity about language is coming from...not to mention the fact that ignoring people makes it nice and easy to not even see the constant ******* bleep outs...

End argument for me:

I, personally, believe people these days are far too easily offended in a world that is nothing but offensive to most...

feel free to disagree, it is your prerogative..

And this is where your subjective opinions get run over by objective rules. My attitude isn't a matter of opinion. The fact remains that at my son's birthday party, I make the rules....just the same as Bioware (and any MMO maker out there) make objective do's and don'ts for its community to choose to follow. If they choose NOT to follow them, then action CAN be taken against the offenders if they are reported for said bad behavior.

Whether people are offended by constant bleep outs or resent having to turn off chat because of the constant barrage of gutter speech is immaterial. I do feel free to disagree with you and I maintain that you are free to choose to NOT be offended by hate speech. It doesn't change the truth that Bioware's TOS back up my position and that makes me FREE to report bad behavior.

You cited the First Amendment to defend bad behavior and to maintain people are too easily offended. This is a weak argument and I would be interested to see how you back it up.

@LordFailstrom, Nobody is asking for Congress to get involved and pass laws ... Oh wait, that's not what you meant? Did you want to re-read the First Amendment and try again?

This is a pet peve of mine right there. The misunderstanding of free speech. Free speech is an ideal, one that the founders of the US government believed in. The First amendment, is merely something that makes the government respect free speech. Free speech is not the first amendment and the first amendment is not free speech.

So your argument there is a straw-man. LordFailstrom obviously believes in free speech irrespective of government or first amendment, and thinks that EVERYONE should respect it, not just the government. Sure, there is no law forcing anyone but the government to respect it, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't respect it.

A pet peeve of mine is people misunderstanding the First Amendment to be: "I can say anything I want and you can't do anything about it. Heuheuheuheu."

The First Amendment is about laws being passed, and enforcing said laws legally. You won't be prosecuted for violating Terms of Service in General Chat, but you surely can be banned for it if EA chooses to do so.

As well, there are actually exceptions to Free Speech as covered by the First Amendment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_free_speech_exceptions

Take note of this line: "Speech that involves incitement, false statements of fact, obscenity, child ***********, threats, and speech owned by others are all completely exempt from First Amendment protections."

The objectionable things in General Chat kinda fall under that umbrella, wouldn't you say?

So your argument there is a straw-man. LordFailstrom obviously believes in free speech irrespective of government or first amendment, and thinks that EVERYONE should respect it, not just the government. Sure, there is no law forcing anyone but the government to respect it, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't respect it.

I had to re-read this a few times. At first I thought you had a similar viewpoint as mine, but now I think you are saying that my argument was Straw Man and that I should respect Free Speech as an ideal in General Chat.

If I duplicated you correctly, I can respect your viewpoint, but let me point out two things:

1. LordFailstrom didn't use the phrase Free Speech in his post. Not once. He very specifically said First Amendment. Perhaps he intended to communicate the ideal of Free Speech, but I didn't get that. I duplicated that he was specifically talking about the constitution. My statement to him still holds in that regard. It is incorrect to say, "anyone can say what they want in Gen Chat in the United States because of the First Amendment"

A Straw Man fallacy relies on misrepresenting someone's position. I maintain that my response is based on the stated position, and is in fact, correct.

2. Rude behavior cannot be legislated against. But group pressure can be brought to bear on the individual to change his/her ways. I am in favor of this. I'd like to go back to my public restaurant example. The screaming, cursing, threatening child can be either censured by his parents, or ejected from the restaurant. Perhaps this is cross-purposes with the ideals of Free Speech as the founders believed in. But you know, I somehow doubt it.

If Jefferson and the rest of them observed a bunch of misbehaving people threatening, cursing and shouting racial epithets and then hiding behind "Free Speech" as an ideal, I believe they would be outraged by the misuse of a noble concept into something base and horrible.

Edited by Khevar

A Straw Man fallacy relies on misrepresenting someone's position. I maintain that my response is based on the stated position, and is in fact, correct.

2. Rude behavior cannot be legislated against. But group pressure can be brought to bear on the individual to change his/her ways. I am in favor of this. I'd like to go back to my public restaurant example. The screaming, cursing, threatening child can be either censured by his parents, or ejected from the restaurant. Perhaps this is cross-purposes with the ideals of Free Speech as the founders believed in. But you know, I somehow doubt it.

If Jefferson and the rest of them observed a bunch of misbehaving people threatening, cursing and shouting racial epithets and then hiding behind "Free Speech" as an ideal, I believe they would be outraged by the misuse of a noble concept into something base and horrible.

I agree with this sentiment. Especially the red text. (emphasis mine) The group pressure can consist of many things, all of which can be carried out diplomatically and discreetly. If more people actually REPORTED unacceptable speech that went against TOS, then the the better the TOS could be enforced and the message could be slowly but emphatically sent to offenders that it's NOT worth it to act like a beastly and abusive tool in public channels. But Bioware cannot police this themselves. It's up to the community to do it.

This could be more effectively carried out if Bioware gave more reporting choices than 'report spam' when you click on the name. Usually I have to open a ticket, but in my mind, it's worth it if some ill-mannered jerk gets a suspension for racial slurs and rape jokes.

WOnderful, Trolls who are against human decency- and the enforcement of it. So here's a suggestion- Get rid of chat. It adds nothing. Want to join a group, hit the groupfinder. Confused and have a question- use Google. Want to sell something- use GTN. Want to gloat because you ganked a player 20 levels your junior, pick up a phone. Want to Role Play, bring your computer over to a friends house. This would be a better solution, but did I ask for this? No. if people can not act like respectable people, then Bioware needs to deal with it because it is a problem. This isn't a little thing like my robe makes my butt look fat. This is a bug that needs addressing.

The others on here who are so quick to spout their views on entitlement over responsibility need to realize that before witnessing a post about implied incestual rape that I did turn gen chat off multiple times because it does not add anything to the game and usually detracts. I did use the convoluted in-game reporting process. I do use /ignore.

So get off my case when I join another thread instead of creating my own to complain about despicable actions by others. That is the purpose of these forums. Also, deal with the fact that I do take a stand for decency, and I am offended by the depraved, and will use the tools provided to do something about it.

1. LordFailstrom didn't use the phrase Free Speech in his post. Not once. He very specifically said First Amendment. Perhaps he intended to communicate the ideal of Free Speech, but I didn't get that. I duplicated that he was specifically talking about the constitution. My statement to him still holds in that regard. It is incorrect to say, "anyone can say what they want in Gen Chat in the United States because of the First Amendment"

I stand corrected. He did say "First Amendment". Lay on!

Is anyone here familiar with the term "talking heads"? Just saying...

These types of comments annoy me because they are like those Facebook status updates where the person is begging for someone to elaborate on their cryptic post, but refuse to actually reveal what the heck they are talking about.

With that said, I'm afraid I am unaware of any other purpose of a forum like this if it's not to "talk" about things. Perhaps we could switch to Semaphore.

*waves flags wildly off of the bow of a ship, hoping someone will interpret my views regarding the bad behavior of internet trolls in the general chat in SW:TOR*

Let's hope someone was watching!

These types of comments annoy me because they are like those Facebook status updates where the person is begging for someone to elaborate on their cryptic post, but refuse to actually reveal what the heck they are talking about.

With that said, I'm afraid I am unaware of any other purpose of a forum like this if it's not to "talk" about things. Perhaps we could switch to Semaphore.

*waves flags wildly off of the bow of a ship, hoping someone will interpret my views regarding the bad behavior of internet trolls in the general chat in SW:TOR*

Let's hope someone was watching!

Heh, I agree with you 100%.

I believe Kakashioftheye was referring to a self-proclaimed "Expert" giving their opinions in a public setting. I'm also pretty sure it was meant in a derogatory way.

Yeah, let's git rid'a this hi-falutin' speakins and git back ta yellin' and insultin' each uthu. Lawdy nobody got time fa that "tawkin' head" stuff.

Edited by Khevar

holy crap this is a lot of QQ all at once, let me take a second to laugh. Seriously though people it's the internet, you are gonna have a ton of people spewing hateful, stupid, nonsense 24/7 and bioware should not be using any resources to control it.... There are so many other real issues with the game not related to chat - or the recent fix of how trees look YES - that this should at the bottom of the list of priorities.... Am I saying not to investigate reports and make sure people aren't spewing racist stuff or trying to get past filters? No of course have a CSR look into that, but unless it is severe they will just get unbanned right away if they are a sub.... All I'm saying is if you don't like gen chat, turn it off, especially in the fleets where it is the worst of any location.

I am not going to say that the talk in chat doesn't make my eye twitch. But what I am going to say is toward my American bros and sisters we know this is a game but we also know that these small knee jerk reactions to control any speech is a slippery slope. This conditions us to be ok with the First Amendment being eroded. This company is well with in it's right to control anything we say since this is their intellectual property but from what I am told this is now an American Co. so do what you will that.

I think we just need to slow down here a bit and not jump the gun. If you enjoy (arguably) The freedoms we have why go after the most important right we have it is no mistake that it was declared our first right because of it's importants.

A good solution may be the option to allow a one time transfer to a server which has very strict regulated rules speech and conduct and BW underline the rules you check the box viola problem is completely solved. There are alot of people who can cope with the chatter and besides if I am going to benefit by having them there i.e running groups or fighting side by side in pvp I don't feel I have the right to control them I barely read chat anyway and If some one says something not vey smart I come back with something witty.

You can scoff at my what I say but we all eventually get bit in the rear by this kind of control in our real life but you only have yourself to blame when you allow your rights to be taken away. We are humans with multiple facets to us no amount of control will ever fix or control that. I for one do not like feeling like I am being smothered in anyway.

Edited by Jiminison

A good solution may be the option to allow a one time transfer to a server which has very strict regulated rules speech and conduct and BW underline the rules you check the box viola problem is completely solved.

I had to repeat this part it will fix the problem ,sorry for the long post .Sorry about my passion this stuff really bothers me. People that spout crazy things do need to evaluate what they say have some control guys but I don't believe you should be policed unless it's criminal and so far being a jerk is not illegal.

A good solution may be the option to allow a one time transfer to a server which has very strict regulated rules speech and conduct and BW underline the rules you check the box viola problem is completely solved.

I had to repeat this part it will fix the problem ,sorry for the long post .Sorry about my passion this stuff really bothers me. People that spout crazy things do need to evaluate what they say have some control guys but I don't believe you should be policed unless it's criminal and so far being a jerk is not illegal.

I understand where you are coming from that you don't think people's free speech should be infringed upon. If I understand your sentiment, I believe I agree with you. There's no law, IRL, against being a jerkface. But most people won't stand for anything NEAR what we see online to go on in real life. I think on the internet, there should be the same consequences. And it starts with the community.

No one is talking about suppressing free speech. This is about enforcing rules that are already in place....in place, mind you, so that EVERYONE can enjoy the environment.

And as for your suggestion that people get a one time transfer....I'm afraid that these 'strict regulated rules regarding speech and conduct ALREADY exist. Bioware will take action against offenders if 1.) they are reported, and 2.) the conduct for which they are reported goes against the very clear and easy to comprehend TOS. I always have to have a chuckle when I come across people who make a lot of noise about how they "just don't know WHAT is ok to do or say in a game that has rules like this." It's such a crock and a lie because if you don't know the basics of civilized behavior, then I am very sad for your upbringing. It was kind of the same thing when everyone was up in arms and butthurt over the way Bioware brought down the banhammer on all those players who took advantage of in-game exploits several months ago. The entitlement was RAMPANT. "Wahhh! I got perma-banned for breaking the ruuuulllleeeezzzz....I don't deseeeerrrrveeee it!" People will go to ANY length to excuse and justify their own selfishness. The same applies to disgusting behavior in public channels in an MMO.

So, not only is it not practical for Bioware to police every comment, it's not possible. So, like I said before, it's up to the community to decide if they want a better environment.

Edited by Kabjat

• 11 months later...

We all agreed to these and if anyone (including myself) cant follow them then Bioware or EA should take action as said person(s) have broken the terms of service that they have agreed upon to play atteched game MMMORPG or not.

nappropriate Language and Naming

The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service team prides itself on maintaining a friendly game-play environment. Therefore it is required to provide guidelines for you to follow when chatting with other players in game or when naming your character, Legacy, guild, or any feature that allows a player to choose a unique name that will be visible to other players.

Violations that are inappropriate and can result in a name change and/or game suspension include:

Profanity

Sexual or obscene/vulgar references

Xenophobia or hate speech

Violence

Harassment

Impersonating EA or Bioware employees

Gibberish/unintelligible character names

References to significant religious, political, or historical figures or events

References to drugs or other illegal activity

References that violate trademarks, copyrights and other proprietary rights

Generally inappropriate

As far as the naming of characters, pets, guilds, items, etc. it is important to remember that BioWare reserves the right to change any name deemed inappropriate at any time, as well as take action on an account based upon any communication that is considered to fall into one of the categories above. Multiple violations of the Terms of Service may result in temporary or even permanent suspension. This policy applies to all languages regardless of what language server the player is playing on.

They need a proper report function (IE: Right click, report for reason x) instead of just allowing the reporting of spam. I turned general chat off within an hour or re-subbing it was that bad, but mostly full of useless chat rather than anything offensive.

Very much this. And the funny thing is they have it in chat rooms made via the games matchmaking, so not sure why it hasn't been rolled out to General chat.

I am not going to say that the talk in chat doesn't make my eye twitch. But what I am going to say is toward my American bros and sisters we know this is a game but we also know that these small knee jerk reactions to control any speech is a slippery slope. This conditions us to be ok with the First Amendment being eroded.

This is total bunk. Free Speech protections are to prevent the Government from infringing your rights to free expression, and even that has limits, you can't liable someone for example. Not allowing private business or individuals from having and enforcing their own rules and standards of behaviour on their property is a removal of their constitutional rights to freedom of speech and freedom of association. I also would doubt it greatly if the disruptive behaviour was occurring in a Movie Theater during a screening, or a restaurant during dinner that you would be so gung ho about incorrectly applying the first amendment.

Stop being so sensitive, your reaction is how people get their jollies on the internet.

I came in here just to say this and what the guy said above, Gen chat can be turned off.

Thin skin is all too prevalent these days. Who cares what some 12 year old in his mom's basement is typing. The trolling is so obvious (usually on fleet, don't see it on worlds) I can't believe that people feed into it and give them what they want: attention and validation.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

I'm rather worried why Trolling takes place in the first place.

It's like Schizophrenia : There are actually 2 personalities : One sitting at the computer, the other one when the person is leaving the room ... And what's even more disturbing is that Scientists get hints that this is actually true ...

So, walking out and saying "I did nothing !" might even be true for the Troll ... Sad times ...