Difference Between a Darth and a Sith Lord?

Onoma

Not very educated in the lore of Star Wars passed watching all the movies several times and I was wondering is there a difference when they refer to someone as a Darth or when someone is referred to as a Sith Lord? What is the difference if there is one?

Short version

Sith Lord is essentially the equivalent to Jedi Knight, whereas the Darth title is essentially the equivalent to Jedi Master.

Shorter version

Darth is one rank higher than Lord

this only applies to SWTOR timeline and earlier, a good while after these events a fellow by the name of Darth Bane manipulates the Sith and Jedi into wiping out the vast majority of the Sith, in its place he invents the rule of two, one Master, one Apprentice, both with the Darth title. This is what is in place during the time of the movies,

Edited by jmjon

It depends on what era you're talking about. The difference is the clearest during the reign of the Dark Brotherhood. It's explained that the Darth title insinuates supremacy for the claimer, and pretty much calls out every other Sith to a challenge. Basically, it's like holding a sign over your head saying that you're the best. This is explained really well in Darth Bane: Path of Destruction.

I might be wrong, but I believe that the Lord title was given to any Sith who had basically completed their apprenticeship. However, the title Dark Lord of the Sith was given to the highest ruling Sith who claimed the title.

Under Darth Bane's rule of two pretty much both Sith Lords were given the Darth title. If I remember correctly from reading the Darth Bane books it was not long at all before Bane gave Zannah the Darth title. Might be wrong though, I still have to finish that trilogy and I'm kicking myself for not doing it yet.

He gave her the title almost immediately, in fact she got it at the same time as she got the name Zannah, as you customarily get the new name when you get the Darth title, much like how Darth Sideous gave Anakin the title Darth Vader the second he became his apprentice.

The Dark Brotherhood is really a flash in the pan as far as Sith history goes, and only really serves the purpose of discovering Darth Bane and then disgusting him enough to motivate him to invent the rule of two.

The Dark Brotherhood is really a flash in the pan as far as Sith history goes, and only really serves the purpose of discovering Darth Bane and then disgusting him enough to motivate him to invent the rule of two.

So then how did the Darth title work before the Dark Brotherhood? Was it really just up to decide for themselves if they wanted to claim it?