Abuse of the Kick Option in Flashpoints

DarthEnrique

I am sure I am going to get opposition on this and people saying I am complaining but I have a legit reason for saying something because there have been a few incidents where the reasons given were anti-Semetic and homophobic. Or people just having no reason to kick someone. Eg. I was kicked from Cadenimu one time for doing what a majority of the player base does and that’s skip the mobs after the second boss and the reasonings put into the kick reasons were a**hole and b****. Another time I was kicked and the person put the reason as “Jew”. There was an incident where I was kicked for just saying the person was pulling everything and then there was an incident in Directive 7 where another player got kicked for being afk and the person who initiated the kick instead of putting afk put “Gay” as the reason and as an LGBT+ in real life I found this to be quite offensive.

I am sure there are some people who will call me a whiner and what not but a person can take so much of seeing such abusive use of the kick option in flashpoints, especially the homophobic and anti-Semitic reasons given. And if you can make exceptions for one form of abusive behavior you may as well make exceptions for all and I personally don’t work like that. So this is to Bioware: Please do something about this abusive toxic behavior where people are abusing the kick option in flashpoints in such a way, even if it means getting rid of the option all together, I know it sucks to pubish all for a few but if people can’t be responsible and use the option as it is intended then so be it. I for one found the homophobic and anti-Semitic reasons to be the final straw for me, which is why I am saying something.

Add on: I would like to add that in the rules of conduct it clearly states:

Harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything to another player that is unwanted. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated. (See also “Harassment Policy” below.)[/Quote]

Edited by DarthEnrique

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just glad that the ignore function actually works in flashpoints, unlike PvP (ironic because the most toxic people are in PvP, not flashpoints).

Just report them and ignore and you'll never be grouped with them again.

You probably already know that, Op, I'm just posting it for anyone newish who doesn't know what they can do in these situations. Reporting is important because Bioware isn't going to act on anything without it, and whether they do or don't, you can make sure that person or persons never cross your path again (unless you and they also PvP, but then at least they'll be muted even if the game still puts them into your matches).

Dang, im sorry ho hear of these hostile vote kick reasons. That is sadly disgusting tbh, but not entirely surprising for an MMO where one can say anything they want with little consequence. Trolls will be trolls, red necks will be red necks, nothing we can do about that sadly.

The best solution is honestly putting ppl on ignore. Removing the vote kick option is a bad idea because then u will not have a tool available to get rid of ppl like that, or just absolute baddies who make it impossible to complete the content.

It is a strong asset to have a thick skin in an MMO and not be upset by mere words only. Just ignore, kick them in return if theirs fails. I wish u better group mates in the future!

Fully agree with you OP, which is why I no longer do group play except the WB's on Ossuss but then only once per character.

Which is why I found Dantoonie so disappointing, required what is it 5-6 heroics which most need groups to do?. Well went there and then left and won't be returning. So yet more stuff in game to boycott. At lest for these past two weeks conquest could be done without needing the in-game event rotation conquest points. So not all bad news. However hard to see why BW are putting so much out so solo unfriendly while at the same time having a thread about play your way.

Still I dare say some will be happy. Not going to get me to do group play even for the companion which I did want. Not at that price tho BW.

Edited by KoriVash

Report and ignore them OP. Nothing else you can do. Unfortunately this sort of thing just comes with the territory of online games.

Fully agree with you OP, which is why I no longer do group play except the WB's on Ossuss but then only once per character.

Which is why I found Dantoonie so disappointing, required what is it 5-6 heroics which most need groups to do?. Well went there and then left and won't be returning. So yet more stuff in game to boycott. At lest for these past two weeks conquest could be done without needing the in-game event rotation conquest points. So not all bad news. However hard to see why BW are putting so much out so solo unfriendly while at the same time having a thread about play your way.

Still I dare say some will be happy. Not going to get me to do group play even for the companion which I did want. Not at that price tho BW.

It's an MMO. Play a single player game if you wanna solo every piece of content in the game.

It's an MMO. Play a single player game if you wanna solo every piece of content in the game.

Please point me to the Star Wars themed single player RPG with new content every month or two and I'll give it a try. Even something like Galaxy of Heroes requires the right guild and teamwork to advance.

For the original poster - I don't see that the kick option itself was abused. 2 out of 3 people choose to vote you out of the flashpoint. It's a simple democratic vote method that is a pretty common method of settling disputes.

Edited by annabethchase

Please point me to the Star Wars themed single player RPG with new content every month or two and I'll give it a try. Even something like Galaxy of Heroes requires the right guild and teamwork to advance.

Did you just miss my point or..?

Did you just miss my point or..?

No but you certainly don't understand this game at all. It is advertised by BW as a group and "SOLO FREINDLY" open world game. There is absolutely no where in any post by BW that this MMO that you must group. So really it is you who do not understand the concept of this or probably any online game. As so many players who play this game you only see and read what you want to believe, anything else you just dismiss because you want to. However that still make you wrong. Unless you can quote any post where BW says otherwise, which is still relevant for todays SWTOR game. So this a solo MMO game, you not wanting it so does not change that as a fact.

Edited by KoriVash

Thing is, whether, ur a gay, or Jew doesn't matter, because they just make up ****, just offend you, or i. I'm not gay, but some real *** holes will put that as a reason for being kicked. They don't care who any one is, so long as they can kick you.

It's just the way life is with idiots, they won't change because they are idiots, and can't be reasoned with. I would just hope i don't see those idiots irl, or in-game again. Chances are that my characters would be the ones that get them through a flash point. So, i'm glad i won't have to help them again.

I remember a few times where some toxic players were being abusive to me, and stopped helping them, and let them die, rightfully so. That was my way of getting revenge. Letting them know that they were the idiots not me.

Nothing we can do. The deadliest weapon Is ones Tongue, or in this case their text. We just have to move on in life.

Edited by MandFlurry

That is bad really. Unfortunately combining the internet, some of the activities in SWTOR, B.W.'s relatively weak reaction to the ***hats in this game it just seems to attract that kind. Find friends and try to stick with them, Guild. A lot of solo players here which works fine for most, its a story based game after all. There's a lot of good players here, they just seem hard to find because the toxins make such a big (bad) impression. Report them for what they did, ignore them and go on for the next..... for what good that's gonna do. Edited by MikeCobalt

That's too bad really. Unfortunately combining the internet, some of the activities in SWTOR, B.W.'s relatively weak reaction to the ***hats in this game it just seems to attract that kind. Find friends and try to stick with them, Guild. A lot of solo players here which works fine for most, its a story based game after all. There's a lot of good players here, they just seem hard to find because the toxins make such a big (bad) impression. Report them for what they did, ignore them and go on for the next..... for what good that's gonna do.

Good advice, and yes I agree there are as many good players as bad. A good guild can help and probably is a must if group activity is the preferred play style.

Thank you, you just proved my point. Also the point of the OP. Really why would any casual player ever want to group with you? You are the exact sort of toxic player(s) we are talking about.

Going by your just plan insulting analogy, well then if we are children we should get a 50% discount. Let you big boys pay the full adults subscription.

It always does amaze me that raiders/people who are heavily pro-grouping will act in toxic ways and then be mystified as to why some players are reluctant to group or interact. Gee, I have no idea why we all wouldn't be lining up to experience that. :rolleyes:

Anyway, OP, it's disturbing that some would use homophobic or anti-Semitic slurs, but really all you can do is a) screenshot the comments b) report them with the screenshots c) put them on your ignore list for all your characters so you never have to deal with them again.

ETA for clarity: I'm not suggesting that legacy ignore exists (I wish it did). If you want someone to be ignored on all your characters you'll have to put them into each character's ignore list, which is what I do. Even without chat channels active, someone can still duel spam you and send nasty email and /ignore stops that.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

It always does amaze me that raiders/people who are heavily pro-grouping will act in toxic ways and then be mystified as to why some players are reluctant to group or interact. Gee, I have no idea why we all wouldn't be lining up to experience that. :rolleyes:

Anyway, OP, it's disturbing that some would use homophobic or anti-Semitic slurs, but really all you can do is a) screenshot the comments b) report them with the screenshots c) put them on your ignore list for all your characters so you never have to deal with them again.

I have a question for you which I hope you can help with. I don't use ignore much I just don't group often other than once per character for Flesh and Steel quest on Ossus. However how do you use ignore legacy-wide? or is it a case of used on one character it auto ignore across your legacy?

Sorry OP if this if of topic. but some players may find it useful to know if its not auto done legacy-wide.

c) put them on your ignore list for all your characters so you never have to deal with them again.

We don't have account wide ignore in this game. Would be nice, but no, your ignore list is per character.

Edited by kodrac

I have a question for you which I hope you can help with. I don't use ignore much I just don't group often other than once per character for Flesh and Steel quest on Ossus. However how do you use ignore legacy-wide? or is it a case of used on one character it auto ignore across your legacy?

Sorry OP if this if of topic. but some players may find it useful to know if its not auto done legacy-wide.

You can't. They haven't added a legacy-wide ignore, although I wish they would. If someone bothers me I just write down the name and manually add them to my characters' lists the next time I log on to each of them. It's a pain but it's better than inadvertently getting whispered at or bothered by Edgy McEdgelord Groupalot on another character.

I just avoid grouping altogether (unless a friend I know is playing and we figure out a time to meet up, but that's not often) and have all my chat channels turned off, as well as all group invites set to auto-reject. It essentially gives me a silent game, and aside from ninjaing, there really isn't a lot other players can do to bother me. I've had people literally run circles around me and try to bug me with rancor mounts and such, and my policy is to pretend they are not there and walk right through them to get where I need to go. If I see someone who has died I'll usually offer to revive them, but you don't need to have a chat channel for that.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

We don't have account wide ignore in this game. Would be nice, but no, your ignore list is per character.

I never said we did have legacy ignore. I just manually add them. If I don't want to deal with someone on one character I'm not going to deal with them on another, either.

For the original poster - I don't see that the kick option itself was abused. 2 out of 3 people choose to vote you out of the flashpoint. It's a simple democratic vote method that is a pretty common method of settling disputes.

That is no excuse for the abusive use of the kick option. Not gonna comment any further to toxic people who make excuses for such behavior.

On my statement about removing the kick option all together if anyone read my original post I said even if which means this is a suggestion nothing more. It is actually up to Bioware how they deal with this issue and there is no harm in making a suggestion.

ETA for clarity: I'm not suggesting that legacy ignore exists (I wish it did). If you want someone to be ignored on all your characters you'll have to put them into each character's ignore list, which is what I do. Even without chat channels active, someone can still duel spam you and send nasty email and /ignore stops that.

No one's being toxic we only pointed out why he's wrong. Sure there's solo content but it's a multiplayer game first and foremost and if you wanna see it all you're gonna have to party up with people. I mean cry and deny all you want.. that's the way it is.

Edited by Atma

No one's being toxic we only pointed out why he's wrong. Sure there's solo content but it's a multiplayer game first and foremost and if you wanna see it all you're gonna have to party up with people. I mean cry and deny all you want.. that's the way it is.

Considering that in seven years of this game, every class story mission, every planetary mission, every exploration mission, every story-related flashpoint and every expac are tuned for....guess what...SOLO play...and the group activities such as Ops and PvP are presented as optional activities that can be completely ignored, I wouldn't say that this is a "multiplayer game first and foremost." It's advertised as a story-based MMORPG and there's nothing in MMO that means HUR HUR HURRR!!!! GROOOOUPPPPP!!! as much as you'd like to claim so.

It's not solo players who "cry and deny." There is nothing to deny when the entire story, every expac and 95% of the game can be completed solo and is tuned for solo play. It's raiders/pro-groupers who seem to be the ones crying and taking umbrage that not everyone wants to play in a horde. Otherwise y'all wouldn't feel the need to bring it up and throw insults every time someone mentions they prefer to solo.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Considering that in seven years of this game, every class story mission, every planetary mission, every exploration mission, every story-related flashpoint and every expac are tuned for....guess what...SOLO play...and the group activities such as Ops and PvP are presented as optional activities that can be completely ignored, I wouldn't say that this is a "multiplayer game first and foremost." It's advertised as a story-based MMORPG and there's nothing in MMO that means HUR HUR HURRR!!!! GROOOOUPPPPP!!! as much as you'd like to claim so.

Being a hardcore raider myself I joined SWTOR 3 weeks ago because some people in my raid group (in a different game) are playing it.

I subbed, used the Lvl 65 token to create a character, fast leveled to 70, skipped to Ossus and started playing flashpoints and ops with my guildies. Except for the Ossus and Dantooine dailies (which we do in a group as well) I literally did almost exclusively group content.

You state - correctly - that all of the group content is optional. You fail to state that all of the solo content is optional as well. You can play only flashpoints, operations and uprisings and even level that way. The only solo content that isn't avoidable (except through the store) is the first 2 planets

It's not solo players who "cry and deny." There is nothing to deny when the entire story, every expac and 95% of the game can be completed solo and is tuned for solo play. It's raiders/pro-groupers who seem to be the ones crying and taking umbrage that not everyone wants to play in a horde. Otherwise y'all wouldn't feel the need to bring it up and throw insults every time someone mentions they prefer to solo.

My experience is that most solo players are fine people. However, there is a vocal minority of entitled whiners among the soloers who basicly want all the best gear handed to them just for logging in and playing the story. Gear in MMOs has for ages scaled with skill and dedication involved in beating content and it has worked that way. Whenever MMOs start handing out gear for free they failed (because it kills motivation to play etc.). That's why so many people are waiting for Vanilla WOW because getting good gear required skill.

I'm not opposed to solo challenges awarding gear equivalent to NiM raid gear, as long as those challenges are equally difficult to NiM raiding (measured in % of the playerbase able to complete them successfully, so we are talking about something maybe 0,5% of the players would even be skilled enough to do). What I'm against is free handouts (and some solo players seem to be very prone to asking for them)

someone can still duel spam you

Ha ha. I was on the receiving end of that one time. "Zogzog wants to duel" => DECLINE => "Zogzog wants to duel" => ...

(Zogzog is not the character's real name, duh.)

He stopped when I announced "Harassment" in general chat after the fifth DECLINE, although that did get me some questions from people on the other side of the planet. In my defence, I'll just say that I *meant* to put it in /say.

Anything can be abused if you give it half a chance, the kick, ban, promotion, demotion, reports, ignore and countless other features i view very negatively, because such features aren't actually needed and actual social interaction is becoming a lost art with trolls attacking other users and abusing the ignore feature to get away with it instead of facing their failures accordingly.

So the report feature used in kicking others, it doesn't matter what the reason is as others will kick no matter what because they can and will. This is why you don't trust random strangers on the net, even those you consider a friend because you really have no idea if they are genuine or faking it.

i wouldn't mind having all those types of features done away with and people actually putting the effort in to work with each other just long enough to get the content done and move along.

Edited by Celise

Being a hardcore raider myself I joined SWTOR 3 weeks ago because some people in my raid group (in a different game) are playing it.

I subbed, used the Lvl 65 token to create a character, fast leveled to 70, skipped to Ossus and started playing flashpoints and ops with my guildies. Except for the Ossus and Dantooine dailies (which we do in a group as well) I literally did almost exclusively group content.

You state - correctly - that all of the group content is optional. You fail to state that all of the solo content is optional as well. You can play only flashpoints, operations and uprisings and even level that way. The only solo content that isn't avoidable (except through the store) is the first 2 planets

All of the story is not optional, since you still have to do the first two planets. And even if you skip to Ossus. you still have to complete that story section to access the dailies. If you're using a Master's Datacron to skip to 70, you also have to do all the story for several of the daily areas if you want to access them, AFAIK.

Also, there is far less content tuned specifically for groups then for solo players. If you've missed the class story, you're talking literally hundreds of missions, encompassing the class missions, planetary arcs and side/exploration missions, all tuned for solo play. Out of the flashpoints, there are less than ten that are not tuned for solo players, and most of those if not all can be soloed anyway. It's way more content than is provided for groups.

So while Ops/PvP are optional to progress through the game, story is not optional to unlock many areas, and skipping ahead requires special tools/extra money and is not the natural progression intended in the game. You can still do it, certainly. Point being, though, that anyone who says that this is "primarily" a multiplayer game isn't actually looking at the numbers. If it were primarily multiplayer the game would not be set up to level to 70 and then to Command level 300 and progress through every single expac without interacting with any other players.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Ha ha. I was on the receiving end of that one time. "Zogzog wants to duel" => DECLINE => "Zogzog wants to duel" => ...

(Zogzog is not the character's real name, duh.)

He stopped when I announced "Harassment" in general chat after the fifth DECLINE, although that did get me some questions from people on the other side of the planet. In my defence, I'll just say that I *meant* to put it in /say.

Easiest way to do it is just ignore the duel invite until you've managed to get the person's name into the /ignore command. They can't ask you again until you've declined, and then since you're ignoring them, they can't ask you at all.