Worst/Most pointless companions in the game?

Guildrum

Ashara Zavros, and it's not even close. Why the hell is she even a companion? If she isn't dark side, why does she stick around? A light-sided Jedi just hangin' out with a Dark Council member. That happens all the time, right? Wasn't Osama bin Laden buddies with some guy from Brooklyn? Bet they had a grand old time debating philosophy and stuff. Seriously, it makes no sense, none.

Of course that's a larger problem with the SI story in general. Honestly the SW, while supposedly the 'meathead', gets involved in a lot more politics/manipulation than the SI.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iuno.... in one cutscene there was a fight outside my ship, and her and lokin come running out at the same time... naked

Yeah, Kaliyo is the ship's sl**, for lack of a better term. She gets more action in one week than most people get in a lifetime. lol

When she cheated on my Sniper, that was it. I kicked her to the curb for Raina, who is actually sweet and cute! :eek:

Yeah, Kaliyo is the ship's sl**, for lack of a better term. She gets more action in one week than most people get in a lifetime. lol

When she cheated on my Sniper, that was it. I kicked her to the curb for Raina, who is actually sweet and cute! :eek:

i keep joking about how she probably carries more bugs than vector on her person.

i can totally see her passed out in her skivvies on the ship floor after a night out, and him sitting down, chatting with them, absolutely amazed by the stories they have of thier ordeals, and the things they have witnessed.

And my personal favorite about Tatooine: "We could destroy this place and nobody would notice."

OK, I got to Tatooine and got treated to this. I have officially changed my opinion of him.

I guess that means I like all my companions in some way or another.

The companions are all basically the same in combat. With the introduction of orange craftable weapons, even the guys with techblades or staffs are just as good as the rest. I just think that ranged dps > melee dps and ranged tank > melee tank.

I'm also not a fan of the robots. The gear is just no fun.

Can't really make a case for calling someone the most pointless companion based on their personality.

Edited by Boissi

Story aside, from what I've found is companions that can't heal, or to some lesser degree, tank - are completely useless.

Since we cannot use our companions in full group Flashpoints, Operations and Warzones - there is no real reason for a DPS companion. Tank companions are usually far too squishy (heard they were nerfed in late beta). Healing companions are likely overpowered.

As a Sage, I found myself running with Theran for solo questing and only occasionally with Qyzen. As a gunnery Commando (my main), I run exclusively with Elara, my healer. I've found that using her reduces my downtime to nearly zero - even while fighting elites.

From a perspective of "how useful are the individual companions" - then only healers and tanks are useful. DPS are just... pointless. What we need is a mechanism to rekit our companions to do a role that we need. I'd like to use a companion other than Elara while doing dailies but unfortunately, Tanno Vik or Yuun cannot be made to heal. After all, I suppose clicking a diagnostic scanner, shooting kolto bullets and throwing kolto bombs requires a college education.

So for me, only Elara is useful to me in practicality - the rest are nothing more than crew mission bots - only slightly more useful than C2N2.

I couldnt disagree more.

My trooper dps commando goes with a dps companion (Yuun now, since I cant stand that thundercat dude), kill fast, pull aggro on urself, use knockbacks and snares to laugh at melee NPCs and throw the odd heal on urself. With heal companion the fights feels a lot longer, resulting in me taking a lot more dmg and the freeze skill of Elara is pointless, since i break it with AE in a jiffy. tank companions just make me scale down my own dps because they need too many heals or die.

With my SI dps Sorc i made the mistake to concentrate on Xalek, thinking he was a cool dps tank with his double-bladed saber and his ae lifetap, but he is BUGGED. Worst companion ever until his absorption and shield ratings get fixed!

While my SW tank Jugg is very happy with healer companion, having the option to live through long fights vs tough boss NPCs too.

Or with other words, except for the bugged trash like Xalek, any companion can be a good match, just depending on your playstyle and spec.

Just a couple corrections: Xalek _is_ a tank, not dps. So, only healers and in a healing spec have some chances with him.

And speaking of healers - "carbonate freeze" or any similar ability is not actually for freezing. It's an additional interrupt which you want to use manually. Try it and you will find it very useful.

I just read 12 pages, and found not a single mention of Nadia Grell being a potential worst or most pointless.

Allow me:

Her DPS is so-so. As a tank spec, she contributes mildly to the duration of a fight, unless it's a tough one, in which she dies and I need a healer. As a DPS spec, she is useless unless I'm in fights I shouldn't be bothering with in the first place.

As a character obtained @ lvl 40 or later... wow, it gets silly.

She seems to actually be on her own separate game, and it only tangentially involves me. Somehow, she's becoming trained in the force (she implies that it's from training...which we never do in any of those fade-to-black cutscenes). Somehow, she's completely trustingly head-over-heals in love with me within the first 5 minutes of being my companion. But, ok, that's fine, maybe that's her character, right?

Nope. In cutscenes, she is instantly and hopelessly in love, showering me with +250 and +500 affection. But her actions and her comments are *completely* out of character. Go ahead, right-click her. "Sorry, no time for training, master!" Oh, and let's not forget when you first pick her up. For a moment there, you *think* she'll be a complex character. Remember?

Let me take us back:

Me: Umm, Nadia? I know that guy killed your father, but...

Nadia: I'll murder him!!!!

Me: Um, yea, so, your dad? last thing he said to me? He wanted me to show you the light side of the force. Take care of you.

Nadia: Murdermurdermurder

Me: And, well, murdering this now completely helpless, unarmed, beaten-nearly-senseless man would be pretty cruel

Nadia: Murrrderrrrrrrr

Me: So...don't kill him. Please.

Nadia: *slash slash* I killed them all! The children too!

Me: Where did you even get a lightsaber? You're not a jedi apprentice...

Remember that? (roughly) And not 3 minutes later, we're on the ship, and the council is all "we've decided to strap a padawan to you." And sweet little Nadia is all "Yayyy, I promise I'll do everything you tell me." (+250 LS points).

And that's where I thought she would become a sneaky, lying, 2-faced Sith. Instead, she became a confused muddle of over-affectionate dialogue that didn't align with a LS Consular at all.

Oh, annnnd...

There's apparently 1, and only 1 marriage moment for this seemingly over-enthusiastic girl. After knowing her for a week, (9300 affection) I had the option to either compliment her on her training or to propose. I complimented her and she has never spoken to me since.

I'm just missing something with this one.

(And I want Holiday...)

Agreed.

Except that the Jedi Councilors in the movies are pretty dumb too:

A) Seriously, thousands of Jedi defeated by 2 Sith? Okay, including Maul and Dooku, 4 Sith. They constantly interact with the Sith who bring about their downfall too without realizing it and completely ignore Count Dooku when he tells Obi-Wan that the Senate is "under the control of a sith lord".

B) There is a prophecy that Anikan will bring balance to the force and they fail to realize that balance isn't exactly 2 sith, and thousands of Jedi (more like 2 jedi and 2 sith which is exactly where we are at the end of EP3). He's too old to train, but we'll let you train him...

C) Mace Mindu tries to arrest a sith lord without notifying the rest of the jedi? Such that they are caught completely off-guard when said arrest attempt fails?

- Arcada

Why do I need Vector?

Why?

His DPS stinks. He's an off-tank who uses light armor. He's a bugman. All he talks about is bugs. He refers to himself as "we". What's the point? Why not just replace him with a real killik? That would actually be more interesting...

Actually hes a melee dps. Vector is not an off tank.

In fact hes your strongest dps companion if you gear him up.

I know he was mentioned a few times on the first page and didn't read any further, though I'm sure there are probably several dozen more people who said it too, Skadge. By and far the WORST companion. Given the chance he'd be tossed out the airlock before the stupid droid. I mean at least the Droid served a purpose in taking care of the ship. That egregious houk is nothing but a waste of skin and reprocessed air.

When talking to Skotia and you ask him if he can eat Skotia: "More machine than man. Bad for the digestion.

I was pretty meh about Khem too, that was until I heard this. I laughed for a solid 10 minutes as I thought of the implications and visually pictured him gnawing on what was left of a body part and using part of some cybernetics as a tooth pick. Then shortly there after I laughed for another 10 minutes as my explanation to what happened was "Well there was a droid and a wig.....". While the SI story wasn't as good as it could of been I thought the witty quips made it all worth while for me, and Khem certainly helped with that as well.

Rusk, so far. His story isn't that relevant to the plot (Rusk, your entire squad is on going on shore leave, so, logically, we're giving you to this Jedi, so you can get shot at more.) He isn't that helpful in combat, he's just basically the token ranged DPS companion.

Rusk, so far. His story isn't that relevant to the plot (Rusk, your entire squad is on going on shore leave, so, logically, we're giving you to this Jedi, so you can get shot at more.) He isn't that helpful in combat, he's just basically the token ranged DPS companion.

I think the main reason he gets assigned to the JK is because Command doesn't want him getting more of his men killed. They basically assigned him to me and I was like "HELL NO!!!" and they were like "He'll be useful!" and I was like "**** YOU ALL!!!" and they were like "Too bad. You're stuck with him now." Yeah, he stood at the top of the stairs on my ship, off in his little corner, and gathered dust for the rest of the game. :p

khem i deslike him so much that i have reconsiderd rolling as a sorc.

im sick of hearing about tulok hord he gets in my way every time i want to talk to someone and hes just a borning character to talk to.

as a sorc im anoyed that hes the only tank we get when warriors and knights get 2 i dont want ot have to relay on him all the way to lvl 50.

Finish his story and trap him in a box. That what I did. And never looked back. I use Tulak Hord's bones as a necklace now.

And Xalex is a tank aswell. Along with easier to gear and a ranged tank at that. You just get him so late in to the game its almost as though BW forgot you needed 5 companions.

Going mostly from the story perspective here:

Previously, I would have added Akaavi Spar to this list, but since getting her affection up and having more conversations with her, I can see why she is traveling with my (female) Smuggler.

Skadge (BH) -- pretty much for the reasons already mentioned in this thread. His ick factor is off the charts and there is absolutely no way my BH (and many other BH's, I'm sure) would even let this guy set foot on her ship.

Nadia (Consular) -- ok, so she is cute, and she is the romance option for the males. But she comes so late in the story, it is hard to care. Also, she seems a bit, I don't know . . . imbalanced? Too intense and emotional, maybe? All in all, I do not understand why she becomes your padawan. I'd rather hand her off to Satele or some venerable, experienced Council member to deal with, as she seems to need a firm hand and would probably benefit from having a Master she was not, y'know, smitten with.

Tharan Cedrax (Consular) -- He is an interesting character, but the guy's so totally not someone that I want watching my Jedi's back in a fight. Obviously not every companion is a powerful warrior, but at least Guss has some street smarts and Mako is brave and determined. And Tharan doesn't even like the Force and "Jedi stuff", so why doesn't just he hitch a ride with a Smuggler or something?

Would have been better, IMHO, to have Tharan replaced by a slightly tweaked Tharan-ish girl (fully-romanceable), and have Nadia replaced by a slightly tweaked Nadia-ish guy (fling or no romance only).

I just read 12 pages, and found not a single mention of Nadia Grell being a potential worst or most pointless.

I think Nadia makes sense if you pretend she's like, 17. I think she's kinda fun and perky girls don't usually do much for me.

Lt. Iresso.

One sentence: He is a JEDI Consular companion and has ARMSTECH CRITICAL.

Oh Iresso, he's so hopeless I'm starting to like him. "I'm a companion in the Trooper story right! Awesome! Oh wait, Jorgan said I can't come, and that I suck? Don't worry Consular, this is gonna be great!"

There are two companions I really dislike:

Ashara. I have tried to be nice to her and all she does is whine about how corrupt everything is. In one conversation she yelled at me because some Sith somewhere else did something bad. Seriously, Ashara? If I baked her a batch of her favorite cookies she'd probably yell at me for being an evil Sith carb temptress and throw them in my face.

Scorpio. Why would anyone let that ultraviolent maniac on their ship unless they, too, were an ultraviolent maniac? She pretty much threatened to kill me in our first conversation on the ship. I'm pretty sure I'm done using her, so why can't I just send her back to Belsavis? She's probably going to turn 2V into a killbot behind my back!

There are two companions I really dislike:

Ashara. I have tried to be nice to her and all she does is whine about how corrupt everything is. In one conversation she yelled at me because some Sith somewhere else did something bad. Seriously, Ashara? If I baked her a batch of her favorite cookies she'd probably yell at me for being an evil Sith carb temptress and throw them in my face.

Scorpio. Why would anyone let that ultraviolent maniac on their ship unless they, too, were an ultraviolent maniac? She pretty much threatened to kill me in our first conversation on the ship. I'm pretty sure I'm done using her, so why can't I just send her back to Belsavis? She's probably going to turn 2V into a killbot behind my back!

There seems to be something with the Belsavis companions on the Imp side and wanting to kill the player. Skadge had pretty much threatened the same thing. Which was really surprising when I was pretty much forced to let him on my ship, though had I had the choice I would've drop two in the chest and one in the head and walked away with nothing more to say.

There seems to be something with the Belsavis companions on the Imp side and wanting to kill the player. Skadge had pretty much threatened the same thing. Which was really surprising when I was pretty much forced to let him on my ship, though had I had the choice I would've drop two in the chest and one in the head and walked away with nothing more to say.

If only. Sigh.

I knew he was the next companion, and as appalling as he was, what really surprised me was

that I didn't get to defeat him! I was sure I was going to at least get to beat him to a bloody pulp. (And was looking forward to it.) I'd even made sure all my buffs were up before I started talking to him because it just seemed like the natural progression.

But alas.