No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

I'm against a click-button LFG tool for all sorts of reasons.

But it's needed here.

The reason?

No-one, at least on my server, uses the LFG that's in-game already.

SW:TOR has a perfectly good, workable, LFG tool which no-one uses. I have no idea why a guide is not stickied to the top of the page, or emailed to every player when they join.

But its not, and therefore just about everyone ignores the LFG tool and just spams LFG in the fleet.

I ask you - how many of the people here who object to a click-button LFG tool use the one that's in-game already?

Edited by UltimateKrucible

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe people just never made a good impression (personally and playstyle wise), but I actually became fairly well known among some folks with the x-realm in WoW. Sometimes after joining a group as tank/heals, I'd see "Yay, we have good a good heal/tank finally" and other such comments. In PvP, I'd become recognized by (mostly) Horde players on my Alliance toons that either had a grudge or just enjoyed going 1v1 with me. It was obvious usually due to how they would ONLY target me, regardless of what role I might have taken.

Now granted that those sorts of things happen far more often without x-realm feature, but does that REALLY matter? I saw someone use the excuse that you will be able to easily find those who ninja/whatever, but you'll encounter those types of people regardless.

IMO, waiting a long time for a group, only to end with a problematic player, is far more devastating than encountering it through an x-realm feature. This is mainly due to the fact that you'll likely be able to just go right back into a dungeon to try again, instead of waiting a long time or just giving up without the feature.

To me, the majority of people against x-realms are just trying to cloud the fact they want e-peen recognition. A positive feature is a positive feature. The biggest issue is if you just want to be the popular kid on the block. Instead of just dealing with a small town, you'll have to deal with a major city.

QFT. Cross-server tools completely destroyed whatever community WoW had left at the time. It encouraged people to act like douchebags, because there was no way for them to obtain a 'bad rep' on any particular server. Not to mention that making friends through groups became nigh-impossible, due to the fact that they'd simply vanish back to their own server once the instance was over, never to be seen again.

I will admit though that WoW's community was/is far more toxic than the one I've seen so far in SWTOR, so maybe if this is implemented, it will work out better here. I hope so.

Well, the counter argument I would make is that WoW was always full of those kinds of people long before LFG. As you say, WoW is a very toxic community. Always has been and probably always will be. At least with LFG if you found yourself stuck in a very bad group, you could just leave it and be assured of finding another group relatively quickly, instead of being forced to stick with the original d-bag group due to fear of not finding another one at all.

yes but what about the people on almost dead servers? It must be a pain in the *** for them to find a group.

Cross server LFG is not the answer to low pop servers, transfers and merges are.

Cross server LFG IS the answer to high amounts of anti-social, instant gratification types.

Now this is not ment to be negative. People have every right to want things now now and be anti-social. And if they want to play the game that way it is also their right and there is nothing wrong with that. Let me also clarify that I do not think spamming LFG in chat as social. What IS social is meeting people, talking with them, joining guilds (read) of like minded people and playing with them regulatory. Do I think being social in a game is healthy and is a positive thing to be exposed to (especially for the younger more influential crowd)? Yes. Do I think you should be punished for being the opposite? no.

Well, the counter argument I would make is that WoW was always full of those kinds of people long before LFG. As you say, WoW is a very toxic community. Always has been and probably always will be. At least with LFG if you found yourself stuck in a very bad group, you could just leave it and be assured of finding another group relatively quickly, instead of being forced to stick with the original d-bag group due to fear of not finding another one at all.

This is actually the best pro LFD argument that I've seen. This might actually change my opinion on the issue.

QFT. Cross-server tools completely destroyed whatever community WoW had left at the time. It encouraged people to act like douchebags, because there was no way for them to obtain a 'bad rep' on any particular server. Not to mention that making friends through groups became nigh-impossible, due to the fact that they'd simply vanish back to their own server once the instance was over, never to be seen again.

I will admit though that WoW's community was/is far more toxic than the one I've seen so far in SWTOR, so maybe if this is implemented, it will work out better here. I hope so.

None of this is actually true. In fact it's all the opposite of true. WoW's community is the same now as it ever was. Most people behave, some don't. And finally, TOR's community is by far the most toxic MMORPG community to date.

So you are one of those people that think your experience is everyone else's experience and that if it didn't happen to you personally it never happened to anyone at all?

Why not? you did.

"Everyone is basically playing ToR as a single player game, locked away in their own story lines and easily solo-able instances."

Your words exactly.

This is actually the best pro LFD argument that I've seen. This might actually change my opinion on the issue.

And not only that, but it works the other way too. You can boot the Dbag and be assured that the tool will find another member for you very quickly. In TOR you just have to suffer with him because it's such a hassle for the group leader to go back to the fleet and shout for a replacement.

^^This. All this server rep and people behaving themselves because of it is just a load of crap. Dead argument is dead.
its not crap. server rep is important, because those with bad server rep automatically get put on my /ignore list. that way, i dont have to deal with their shenaningans.

its not crap. server rep is important, because those with bad server rep automatically get put on my /ignore list. that way, i dont have to deal with their shenaningans.

It's a fantasy. Your ignore list hasn't stopped the dbaggery in TOR's PUGing.

i quot this because it reflects my experience with LFD.

hey, i guess it wasnt just me after all!:p

It's a fantasy. Your ignore list hasn't stopped the dbaggery in TOR's PUGing.
my /ignore list stops me from having to group with dbags in pugs.

how is this fantasy? if someones on ignore, i dont group with them....

you people dont know how to use an ignore list and blackball people?

I don't understand the "kills the community" argument for people who are already in their own little clique of players. Most of the time people get into that position and don't converse or stray outside their comfort zone. How does an LFD tool affect you? You already do all dungeons and PvP with that group of people, so why do you care what other people do?

It ruins server communities. You can go into a group and have no regard for anyone else. You can be a total jerk and why? Because theres a high chance you're never going to see those people again. If there's no cross realm LFG and youre a total jerk you're going to be blacklisted immediately. People will know not to group with the jerks and they will be stuck and end up having to go to another server or learn to not be complete idiots.

It ruins server communities. You can go into a group and have no regard for anyone else. You can be a total jerk and why? Because theres a high chance you're never going to see those people again. If there's no cross realm LFG and youre a total jerk you're going to be blacklisted immediately. People will know not to group with the jerks and they will be stuck and end up having to go to another server or learn to not be complete idiots.

The vast majority of people don't act like that. They just want to run flashpoints, not waste time being jerks.

+1 to op.

Some people don't get it.

Some servers don't have communities or well known players.

My server does.

I'd hate to see it all destroyed because someone needs to wait 5 minutes longer in queue.

There shouldn't be ANY cross-server tools besides obvious one: limited transfers for those people who have friends on other servers.

+1 to op.

Some people don't get it.

Some servers don't have communities or well known players.

My server does.

I'd hate to see it all destroyed because someone needs to wait 5 minutes longer in queue.

There shouldn't be ANY cross-server tools besides obvious one: limited transfers for those people who have friends on other servers.

If it were only 5 minutes you'd have a point. But it's not. Bioware is seeing that most players never run any flashpoints beyond The Esseles or Black Talon because finding a group is too inconvenient or impossible.

Bioware wants players running flashpoints, and your community woes look selfish compared to the bigger picture. Your server will still have well-known players and community after the LFG tool goes in.

Why not simply add a tool that has an option for BOTH server only AND cross server queues? Seems like that would address a lot of the concerns on both sides.

I would bet money they is how they do it. I saw this option on a the PvP que system somewhere and would speculate they do the same thing with the PvE que. It's a simple check box for either players on all servers or just your own.

I would argue, for those who say there is no community in TOR, that a server wide LFG would help build relationships with people and build a community beyond the people you already know. For example, you get in a group with a good player you friend that player. Then start grouping with that player more, opening up his friends to you and yours to them. That in turn increases the number of players you can look to for running flashpoints and what not. Things snowball from there. Cross server does not accomplish this.