Saboteur/Engineering Guide 3.0+

Camelpockets

Interrogation Probe - Corrosive Dart - Covered Escape - Plasma Probe - Series of Shots

EMP Discharge - Fragmentation Grenade - Explosive Probe - Plasma Probe - Series of Shots

This is the rotation I try to use during raids. Things might change due to movement to which I follow the priority list Camel posted in this guide.

The Frag Grenade and Covered Escape Spots you placed in your rotation are basically filler spots.

The other rotation you posted and the Dulfy rotation are the same rotation.

Now about the rotation and not using your roll. When not using energy cooldowns I use either Frag grenade or Rifle Shot (depends on energy). When using energy cooldowns I try to use Orbital Strike and sometimes Takedown. Overall I barrely use Takedown because of its energy cost.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, thanks, the other rotations don't seem the same as the dulfy one, but I guess it all works out the same, just different order.

For the life of me I can't get the rollbang rotation on a dummy to work correctly...but that's being changed soon anyway.

The Dulfy guide is a little out-dated. That rotation still works, it just depends on the circumstances you are entering. Both are about the same DPS.

I also won't be updating this thread for a bit to compensate for the nerf to scatter bombs. I've got two more weeks of school left, and after I'm done there I'll be back on SWTOR stuffs a bit more.

I do plan on fixing the Dulfy guides when it's all said and done.

Edited by Camelpockets

I've been running 29.8% to 30.7% (~600 - 650) crit for a while now in all specs. It may be just me, but I find it consistently outperforms when compared to lower crit ratings. Without using SB on dummy parses, I consistently turn in 4.4-4.6K. On 16-M HM operations boss pulls (except Torque and Underlurker - SS), I usually outperform our SS and DF slingers.

I found 408 crit with 2 surge augs to be probably my highest parse...had no relics or adrenals, pulled 4.4k. But I couldn't replicate it, had a sweet, sweet 32% crit rate on that...wish I used relics and adrenals lol.

Just a reminder, my crit ratings are only a recommendation. Feel free to play with crit if you'd like!

Through my parsing I've found a minimal difference, with 408 I was averaging around 30% but no real dps increase. I'll try it on some ops though, as for whatever reason my dummy apm is lower than it should be. No idea why.

Thanks for the guide. I am doing 3.5k on fresh 190 slinger with your rotation :)

One thing I noticed that our fire effects looks very similar to the ones in Bulo and Torque etc and adds more visual clutter.

Also I see on parsely.io that the top parses now are engineering/saboteur with roll cluster bomb abuse. Obviously using this in actual raid is difficult, but maybe it works on stationary bosses well enough to learn it? How about machine core?

Thanks for the guide. I am doing 3.5k on fresh 190 slinger with your rotation :)

One thing I noticed that our fire effects looks very similar to the ones in Bulo and Torque etc and adds more visual clutter.

Also I see on parsely.io that the top parses now are engineering/saboteur with roll cluster bomb abuse. Obviously using this in actual raid is difficult, but maybe it works on stationary bosses well enough to learn it? How about machine core?

For Bulo, the fire effect that persists doesn't do any damage so while you're right that they are visually conflicting, it's just a bit annoying. With Torque, I would recommend Sharpshooter since the tampering devices should die quick enough with Suppressive Fire and target switching is so important for the Shoots Lasers adds that Saboteur really falls behind.

Parsely is just outdated as of 3.2 in this regard and Scatter Bombs has no relevant use in any boss fight anymore so those parses should be archived. Our real damage is probably something like 400-500 lower, however, I'm sure we'll still see parses using Scatter Bombs despite this fact. I don't know they didn't just remove the damage altogether, but it no longer has any place in raiding as you will only use your roll for mobility or defensive purposes now. It does barely more damage than your auto-attack (which is also free) or Quick Shot (not free), but using it for damage is a complete waste due to the nerf and can place you in bad spots. The machine core has no collision so rolling against it will cause you to plummet to your untimely death.

Edited by Vaidinah

For Bulo, the fire effect that persists doesn't do any damage so while you're right that they are visually conflicting, it's just a bit annoying. With Torque, I would recommend Sharpshooter the tampering devices should die quick enough with Suppressive Fire and target switching is so important for the Shoots Lasers adds that Saboteur really falls behind.

Parsely is just outdated as of 3.2 in this regard and Scatter Bombs has no relevant use in any boss fight anymore so that those parses should be archived. Our real damage is probably something like 400-500 lower, however, I'm sure we'll still see parses using Scatter Bombs despite this fact. I don't know they didn't just remove the damage altogether, but it no longer has any place in raiding as you will only use your roll for mobility or defensive purposes now. It does barely more damage than your auto-attack (which is also free) or Quick Shot (not free), but using it for damage is a complete waste due to the nerf and can place you in bad spots. The machine core has no collision so rolling against it will cause you to plummet to your untimely death.

I believe the damage is mainly for pvp reasons now. In PvE circumstances, it's pretty much useless. It can be used as a weak filler on the dummy which deals slightly more damage than a free quickshot. A good parse will use about 3 or 4 rolls.

Thanks. I guess there is quite a bit of outdated information floating around. But I guess the spec itself is still fun and viable, so np :)

I've been too lazy to update the dulfy guides, and the Parsely leaderboards haven't been reset yet, so yeah its floating everywhere. With the high Alacrity build I'm pulling apporx 4900 DPS, so even with the reduction to scatter bombs the spec is still more than viable. (Still with a 192 MH)

Edited by Camelpockets

• 4 weeks later...

Unlike other specs it seems you can maintain your AoE indefinitely, if you use your energy refunding abilities and prioritize Incendiary Grenade over Sweeping Gunfire . I love using this spec in ToS, seems like it can work on all bosses here nicely - haven't attempted HM Revan yet tho.

I feel like sab should be more popular, I believe the DPS is - at least for me - the same as DF (not sure if this is how it supposed to be, I thought DF is more popular as it parses a tiny bit higher?).

Unlike other specs it seems you can maintain your AoE indefinitely, if you use your energy refunding abilities and prioritize Incendiary Grenade over Sweeping Gunfire . I love using this spec in ToS, seems like it can work on all bosses here nicely - haven't attempted HM Revan yet tho.

I feel like sab should be more popular, I believe the DPS is - at least for me - the same as DF (not sure if this is how it supposed to be, I thought DF is more popular as it parses a tiny bit higher?).

I tend to parse slightly higher with Saboteur than with Dirty Fighting. But the difference is little enough that I do not care.

I personally love both specs, so I swap around with them a bit every now and then. There are only a few fights for which I specificly choose between Saboteur and Dirty Fighting (Lurker, Revan, Cora and M&B depending on tank).

• 2 weeks later...

New Priority List inbound.

I'm changing up the rotation for a couple of reasons, some of which others might have found out even before I did :)

Now whether or not it will be viable will depend from fight to fight, and moreso with varying group comps.

I'll try to update during the week, perhaps Tuesday check back for an update.

Edited by Camelpockets

Camel? That downtime you are talking about regat the underlurker fight.

that's kinda a non issue imo.

As saboteurs we have so many instant abilities. I tend to go in hiding right after a speedshot. During the running i cast inc nade. From cover i than either do vital shot or shochcharge depending which block is off cooldown. From there on i just continue my rotation while hopping in and out of cover

Camel? That downtime you are talking about regat the underlurker fight.

that's kinda a non issue imo.

As saboteurs we have so many instant abilities. I tend to go in hiding right after a speedshot. During the running i cast inc nade. From cover i than either do vital shot or shochcharge depending which block is off cooldown. From there on i just continue my rotation while hopping in and out of cover

This portion of the guide is a little outdated I will admit, and I don't get the oppritunity to use Saboteur on this fight because my new raid lead doesn't see the aoes as useful, so Im stuck using sharp. Although Ive been meaning to find a suitable AoE rotation that can constantly maintain energy. Normally I just throw stuff out there and fix energy afterwards.

This portion of the guide is a little outdated I will admit, and I don't get the oppritunity to use Saboteur on this fight because my new raid lead doesn't see the aoes as useful, so Im stuck using sharp. Although Ive been meaning to find a suitable AoE rotation that can constantly maintain energy. Normally I just throw stuff out there and fix energy afterwards.

I don't know how doing more damage on targets that need to die can not be useful. Speaking as someone who is both a raid leader and runs Saboteur on a regular basis, your raid leader is just wrong. Unless your team's healers put out low healing in general such that you need to kill the adds one by one just to survive or you just have bad tanks, AoEing is just strictly better for that fight and Saboteur has the best AoE.

Also, I'm not sure if you are asking about maintaining an AoE rotation on that fight with Sharpshooter or with Saboteur?

I don't know how doing more damage on targets that need to die can not be useful. Speaking as someone who is both a raid leader and runs Saboteur on a regular basis, your raid leader is just wrong. Unless your team's healers put out low healing in general such that you need to kill the adds one by one just to survive or you just have bad tanks, AoEing is just strictly better for that fight and Saboteur has the best AoE.

Also, I'm not sure if you are asking about maintaining an AoE rotation on that fight with Sharpshooter or with Saboteur?

In Saboteur, not Sharp.

And yes I agree, when you can aoe... Why not? lol. Also, actually just posting here convinced him otherwise, so it works out.

Edited by Camelpockets

In Saboteur, not Sharp.

And yes I agree, when you can aoe... Why not? lol. Also, actually just posting here convinced him otherwise, so it works out.

For Saboteur on Underlurker, I find the most important way to manage energy on that fight is to try to be near your maximum energy (110) when adds are coming up and have Sabotage Charge cast on the boss if you don't have Cool Head up. Illegal Mods helps with keeping energy up, but it's not enough to use Sweeping Gunfire much at all. What this means during the fight is that I use Thermal Grenade less than I normally do on almost every fight. Since Thermal Grenade is often used once in every 9 second rotation, I cut out the one that isn't free with the use of Sabotage. I tend to throw in more auto-attacks (Rifle Shot, but you can use Quick Shot with the utility) in that space just to maintain my energy near its peak. This is critical because Sweeping Gunfire is ridiculously strong on this fight and it's definitely worth lowering your boss damage by a bit to have the available energy for more Sweeping Gunfires.

So ideally, I have used Sabotage recently (for the free Thermal Grenade later), have Sabotage Charge ready to place on the boss as soon as the adds spawn, then I cast Freighter Flyby cast immediately, use Incendiary Grenade, and lastly use Sweeping Gunfire until adds are dead. If the adds are dying slowly, I put in 1 Rifle/Quick Shot in between each Sweeping Gunfire to keep my energy from being destroyed. As I retreat to hide behind a rock, I typically throw out my DoTs if I used Cool Head or use the opportunity to use my free skills (ideally, a free Thermal Grenade from the previously used Sabotage).

Once I get behind a rock, I strafe in and out to get more damage on the boss with any non-channeled skills (can typically get 3 skills once the Rage Storm is cast) and use Hunker Down to avoid the knockback. Strafing in and out of the rocks takes some practice, but as long as you don't get greedy for more than one skill used per strafe and you immediately head back to the rock each time after that skill is used, you'll be fine.

The only other trick I use sometimes is if I'm confident in the team's survival (i.e. we don't have a bunch of melee who are forced to eat far more damage than range do on that fight), I'll use Dodge at times to get more attacks in on the boss before being forced to retreat to a rock. Dodge gives complete immunity to the boss' Rage Storm as it is considered to be a melee/ranged attack. This means you can afford to stand there and use a Speed Shot on the boss and then still have 3 seconds of invincibility to use instant skills on the way to a rock.

Edited by Vaidinah