What do you think the required/suggested gear is for each operation, story and hard

A few things we tell new people that want to raid with us.

Get your 10 rakata items befor hand.

Ear

impnatx2

bealt+ bracers

relics

stim/medpak/add

we have enough alloys to give them away at this point

now back to your question

HM ev/kp...all the items above+ full col at least

SM EC- most rakata some BH from the dailys is nice to have and not hard to get

EC is not a T1 raid its T2 that drops rakata filler parts not the set you dont want to just jump in there while skiping ev and kp.

Player skill does play a significant role. I'd rather have a skilled Columi DPSer in any scenario than someone in full Rakata who doesn't understand anything about choosing a good spec and rotation/priority.

The jump from Columi to Rakata is quite small as well. Proper stat allocation is vital; a well-itemised Columi set will often yield better thoroughput than default Rakata from the vendor.

But as a rule of thumb: story EV/KP are pushovers (you could confidently beat them in daily gear), mostly Columi is fine for HM EV/KP, story EC 'prefers' a Columi/Rakata mix, so to speak (healers can certainly get away with Columi). For HM EC, properly itemised Rakata.

Edited by Aurojiin

Yeah, we have no problem with EV/KP normal modes. My main question is how does PvP gear translate. We have a lot of PvP'ers and some dedicated PvE'ers, so when we try hard mode EV/KP, it usually looks something like this:

Me (main tank): 4 set pieces of Rakata, rest Columni, chest is Black Hole Mark 2.

Most of team: full battlemaster or half BM, half War Hero.

Some of team: Mix of Columni, Rakata, BM.

We sometimes rock through Hard mode, sometimes we hit enrage timers. What would you say to people who are very skilled, but coming in full PvP gear to hard mode EV/KP?

Quite frankly to the people going in with BM or WH I would say you are usually being somewhat carried by the PVE geared people so go do a few flashpoints please. It is not uncommon for us to be forced to take a full BM or WH as one of the DPS (even in EC sm) but it certainly doesnt help and has caused me needless stress. I had to chew him out because next time the guy showed up in WH gear this time and had decided not to bring the Rakata pieces he had looted last time because he might lose his set bonus.

EV and KP HM's should be done with Columi.

Story mode EC can be done with Columi if the player is very mechanically sound, although the tank should have a couple rakata pieces.

HM EC should be rakata only.

I tanked(Powertech) Zorn & Toth and Stormcaller & Firebrand, with 2 pieces of Columi, rest is either Tionese or Customizable with 22/23 artifact armoring/mods/enhancements. My healers were mostly full Rakata and my co-tank was almost full Rakata, however. I believe that any group that is proper geared can carry 1 or 2 people in Story Mode EC, maybe not DPS, but still.

Now for the OP:

EV/KP Story Mode: leveling customizable gear, maybe a couple of daily modifications.

EV/KP Hard Mode: half columi geared raid would blast through I would think.

EC Story Mode: Full Columi, maybe a couple of pieces of Rakata.

EC Hard Mode: Half(close to full) Rakata group.

Keep in mind class knowledge and general raid competence is required for most of these suggestions above.

I wouldn't expect a clean run, but wiping is only good for you(keep in mind, everyone starts at the bottom once) ;-)