Desktop Hardware Q&A

Veilshatter

First thats a good price on that case.

Second looks like a solid system 1 thing i would upgrade to is the GPU for a few more $.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

And get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

You can save the $ for them with this PSU it's pleanty for that system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

As far a waiting on the IVY your choice PCIE 2.1 is not being fully used yet so it will be a few years at least before you need 3.0 if ever. They will not start making games that people can not play.( except a poor game engine like this)

The IVY will be pricey for about 15% better performance. The i5 2500k will destroy all games for years to come their really no need to OC it much now unless your one that just needs to say my CPU is OC'ed @ 5.0 GHz.

As far as ncix I never use them so no anwser their.

EDIT i really like 1.5v ram for intel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Thanks for the help! I want to keep the overall theme of Corsair, and the power supply has a 15% off code for now, plus a small rebate, and it seems to be ready for Crossfire later on. I also looked at the ram you linked. They are similar, and mine was also Corsair... I would get the regular vengeance, but I am not sure it would fit with my Heatsink. I do like the video card you linked, though so maybe I will go for that instead. Thanks again!

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking to purchase the following system from Digital Storm Online. Does anyone have any experience with their systems/support?

The primary use of this computer will be to play SWTOR at the highest settings (and hopefully achieve 60+ FPS in Warzones/Operations)

Couple of questions:

Is the Quad core processor enough for the foreseeable future or should I upgrade to a 6 core processor?

I selected the GTX580's because it seems Nvidia supports their cards better than AMD does with updated drivers. However, it seems because the 7970's are newer from AMD, they outperform the GTX580's. Does anyone have any suggestions on AMD versus Nvidia? I know Nvidia is coming out with new cards soon, but I can't wait too much longer.

Thanks in advance for your help (I know I can build this computer for less, but my time is also valuable to me.)

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Cooler Master 942 HAF X

Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA

6Gb/s)

System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance) Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model:

520 Series)

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM)

(Model: Black Edition)

Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL /

Network Connections)

Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB Classified Ultra (EVGA

03G-P3-1595-BR) Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator)

(Extreme-Performance Edition)

Cooling System Selected

Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe

Series Motherboard)

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)

Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student (PC Attach Key PKC) Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is

Successfully Processed Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

I am looking to purchase the following system from Digital Storm Online. Does anyone have any experience with their systems/support?

The primary use of this computer will be to play SWTOR at the highest settings (and hopefully achieve 60+ FPS in Warzones/Operations)

Couple of questions:

Is the Quad core processor enough for the foreseeable future or should I upgrade to a 6 core processor?

I selected the GTX580's because it seems Nvidia supports their cards better than AMD does with updated drivers. However, it seems because the 7970's are newer from AMD, they outperform the GTX580's. Does anyone have any suggestions on AMD versus Nvidia? I know Nvidia is coming out with new cards soon, but I can't wait too much longer.

Thanks in advance for your help (I know I can build this computer for less, but my time is also valuable to me.)

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Cooler Master 942 HAF X

Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz (Turbo Mode up to 3.8GHz) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA

6Gb/s)

System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance) Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model:

520 Series)

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM)

(Model: Black Edition)

Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL /

Network Connections)

Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB Classified Ultra (EVGA

03G-P3-1595-BR) Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator)

(Extreme-Performance Edition)

Cooling System Selected

Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe

Series Motherboard)

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)

Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student (PC Attach Key PKC) Priority Build: Please Prioritize: Ship Within Four Business Days After Order Is

Successfully Processed Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

If this is just for SWTOR it's a huge waste of $ and you still will not get 60+ everywhere.

As it stands now my computer sucks.

How badly?

-I can barely do Space Combat

-I can't even see any blaster bolts firing from the lag.:(

-Lightsabers are a slideshow. If I activate, then there is a jedi on my screen standing...2 seconds later lightsaber!:(:(

-PvP is impossible!

-Dialogues take forever to load and to take place. Even then it's a slideshow.

I actually stopped playing not because of bugs or broken PvP, but because my computer sucks.

When I started downloading the game, there was a message saying I did not have enough computer cores to run SWTOR (more on that later)

I need a computer badly! My current computer is a Windows Vista (roughly a 2008-2009 model.) I don't know anything about computer specs but I do know that I have a Celeron processor. From what I have heard this is a really ******ty processor...

I don't want to build a new PC because, frankly, I suck with machines and I cant afford something that expensive. I need to know from someone what is the best commerical laptop or PC to run SWTOR on. By commercial, I mean I can just walk into Best Buy and go to the computer aisle to find it.

If that is not possible, can anyone tell me if there are any decent gaming PC's or laptops. I kinda have fallen for Alienware but a lot of people seem to think otherwise.

Please SWTOR forums I need you! I want to play this game, I want to help my guild, I want to PvP and I want to enjoy this game! I just need a new computer! :(:(:(

As it stands now my computer sucks.

How badly?

-I can barely do Space Combat

-I can't even see any blaster bolts firing from the lag.:(

-Lightsabers are a slideshow. If I activate, then there is a jedi on my screen standing...2 seconds later lightsaber!:(:(

-PvP is impossible!

-Dialogues take forever to load and to take place. Even then it's a slideshow.

I actually stopped playing not because of bugs or broken PvP, but because my computer sucks.

When I started downloading the game, there was a message saying I did not have enough computer cores to run SWTOR (more on that later)

I need a computer badly! My current computer is a Windows Vista (roughly a 2008-2009 model.) I don't know anything about computer specs but I do know that I have a Celeron processor. From what I have heard this is a really ******ty processor...

I don't want to build a new PC because, frankly, I suck with machines and I cant afford something that expensive. I need to know from someone what is the best commerical laptop or PC to run SWTOR on. By commercial, I mean I can just walk into Best Buy and go to the computer aisle to find it.

If that is not possible, can anyone tell me if there are any decent gaming PC's or laptops. I kinda have fallen for Alienware but a lot of people seem to think otherwise.

Please SWTOR forums I need you! I want to play this game, I want to help my guild, I want to PvP and I want to enjoy this game! I just need a new computer! :(:(:(

Need to know how much $ your talking but if you walk in and buy one you just got ripped off and probaly bought something that can not be upgraded later.

Build your own its not that hard Google how to build a PC you tube / newegg

This is the least i would build $550 runs fine for my wife with her 900p monitor. (mid settings without the bling turned on)

This is everything but monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers you can use what you have already also use the cord from your old power supply it should just pull out from the back.

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=63619&vpn=ADX270OCGMBOX&manufacture=AMD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371029

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147112

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138329

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121474

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231422

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145299

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200048

I have a better system that i got the last part in today that will hit ebay / craigs list friday after the build, loading software and stress testing.

i3 2120 AMD is not really good at gaming sandy bridge waxes them, HD 6850, cooler master 430 case with clear side window all the lights blinged out. Cheapest way to go is buy what i listed you can PM me if you need more help.

Edited by blowmedown

Hi all i have a acer here are the specs Brand

Acer

Type

Home / Home Office

Processor

Intel Core i3-540 3.06GHz

Processor Main Features

64 bit Dual Core Processor

Cache Per Processor

4MB L3 Cache

Memory

2GB DDR3

Hard Drive

500GB SATA

Optical Drive 1

16X DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Drive

Graphics

AMD Radeon HD 6450 512MB

Audio

High-Def Audio with 5.1-Channel Surround Sound Support

Ethernet

Gigabit Ethernet

Power Supply

300W

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Motherboard

Chipset

Intel H57

CPU

CPU Type

Intel Core i3

CPU Speed

540(3.06GHz)

L3 Cache Per CPU

4MB

CPU Socket Type

LGA 1155

CPU Main Features

64 bit Dual Core Processor

Graphics

GPU/VPU Type

AMD Radeon HD 6450 512MB

Memory

Memory Capacity

2GB DDR3

Memory Speed

DDR3 1333

Memory Spec

2GB x 1

Memory Slot (Total)

Memory Slot (Available)

Maximum Memory Supported

8GB

Hard Drive

HDD Capacity

500GB

HDD Interface

SATA

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Type

DVD±RW

Optical Drive Spec

16X DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Drive

Write Max: 48X CD-R, 10X CD-RW, 16X DVD-R, 16X DVD+R, 16X DVD-RW, 16X DVD+RW, 5X DVD-RAM, 8X DVD+R DL, 8X DVD-R DL

Read Max: 48X CD-ROM, 48X CD-R, 48 CD-RW, 16X DVD-ROM, 16X DVD-R, 16X DVD+R, 8X DVD-ROM DL, 8X DVD-R DL, 8X DVD+R DL, 8X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 12X DVD-RAM

Audio

Audio Channels

5.1-Channel Surround Sound Support

Audio Features

High-Def Audio

Communications

LAN Chipset

Integrated

LAN Speed

10/100/1000Mbps

Front Panel Ports

Front USB

Front Audio Ports

Back Panel Ports

PS/2

Video Ports

1 VGA, 1 HDMI

Rear USB

RJ45

1 port

Rear Audio Ports

3 ports

Expansion

PCI Slots (Available/Total)

PCI (1/1)

PCI-E x1 (2/2)

PCI-E x16 (0/1)

Physical Spec

Dimensions

15.81" x 14.92" x 10.28"

Weight

17 lbs.

Edited by hunterknows

Hey All-

Ive been playing on a lower end system, been "ok" on all low settings, but I would much rather be able to play on high settings and just improve on FPS and overall performance. A friend pointed out this computer on Craigs List and I would like to know what you think. Please, genuine and balanced responses. I dont need the best system, just a good one. I know the card is older, but all the other stuff (Im told by the friend who play LOTR) apparently compensates. I really dont have more then $750 to spend and I'm not going to build my own for fear of burning down my home. ;-) So would you (a) buy a basic i3 from Best Buy for $500 and then just upgrade the graphics card and power supply (right at my top end of $750), or (b) would you buy this rig:

-------------------------------

Intel i7 875k - easily overclocks to 4.0GHz, and I've even had it as far as 4.3GHz, and that's being conservative with the voltage. For the CPU cooler I'm using the Asetek LCLC All-in-one water cooling solution. It does a pretty good job and requires no maintenance. I have 2x 120mm fans on the radiator.

Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard - Has Sata 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 ports, good overclocking features, tons of cool stuff on this board.

Sapphire HD 5770 - A pretty decent card and a good overclocker

4GB DDR3 1600MHz Kingston Hyper-X RAM

40GB Intel V-25 SSD - fast as hell, gets great boot times and load times for games

200GB Hard drive in addition to the SSD.

Cooler Master 690II Advanced case - this is one awesome case that I'll really miss. Lots of fans and room for more fans, top-mounted hot-swappable hard drive bay on top, E-SATA, USB, and headphone inputs on the top, tool-less installation for all hard drive bays, which makes swapping stuff really quick and simple. I'm also going to throw in a memory card reader in the front of the case that reads a bunch of different types of cards.

OCZ 700W GameXstream Power supply - plenty of power for this computer and future upgrades.

Windows 7 Home Premium included, as well as the activation key.

asking price is $650

Thanks!

Jin

I have a buddy that is really interested in this game, and I would love to get him in on it, but his computer is basically at the minimum requirements. anyone have any experience with this game on a machine that like that? I dont want to tell him to spend the money on it to have it not be playable.

Acer

Memory

Memory Capacity

2GB DDR3

Memory Speed

DDR3 1333

Memory Spec

2GB x 1

Memory Slot (Total)

Memory Slot (Available)

Maximum Memory Supported

8GB

I would suggest looking to find out how much it would cost you to fill up one or more of your free memory slots with more 2G DDR3-1333 memory cards. 2G is not very much for this game.

You should be able to find 2G cards for around $20 each.

hey guys i know nothing about computers could anyone tell me if an HP Pavilion g7-1317cl Notebook PC will play this game here are the system specs

Microprocessor 2.5GHz/1.9GHz VISION A4 Technology from AMD with AMD Dual-Core A4-3305M Accelerated Processor

Microprocessor Cache 1MB L2 Cache

Memory 4GB DDR3 SDRAM (1 DIMM)

Memory Max Maximum supported = 8GB

Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6480G Discrete-Class Graphics

Video Memory Up to 2037MB

Hard Drive 640GB 5400RPM)

Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD burner

Display 17.3-inch diagonal HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display (1600 x 900)

HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone

Network Card 10/100 Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity

802.11b/g/n WLAN

and if so which works better that or a lenovo IdeaPad Z575 which specs are as following

Gunmetal Gray Metal

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU Type

AMD A-Series A4-3300M 1.9GHz

Screen

15.6"

Memory Size

4GB DDR3

Hard Disk

500GB

Optical Drive

DVD±R/RW

Graphics Card

Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6480G

Communication

LAN and WLAN

Battery Life

Up to 4.5 hours

Dimensions

14.8" x 9.8" x 1.4"

Weight

5.73 lbs

and if it wouldnt be to hard send me a message instead of reposting onto this thread because that could make it easier to refind

Edited by cibertronis

Hi I'm trying to improve performance for this game on my rig, and was wondering... Could it be my hard drive? I have a: SAMSUNG HD501LI

How can I tell/Improve performance of my HD I would really like to fix my FPS issue. thx.

It's not a hard drive problem. Thats all i can say since you did not list the rest of the parts in your PC

Even though absolutely none of the threads linked have anything to do with my locked thread I guess I'll post my question from my locked thread here.

Currently have a Saitek Eclipse(The first one) and I'm looking to get a new keyboard as I've beaten this thing to death.

SUGGESTIONS KGO.

Edited by ckoneful

Even though absolutely none of the threads linked have anything to do with my locked thread I guess I'll post my question from my locked thread here.

Currently have a Saitek Eclipse(The first one) and I'm looking to get a new keyboard as I've beaten this thing to death.

SUGGESTIONS KGO.

Update your drivers

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterknows

Acer

Memory

Memory Capacity

2GB DDR3

Memory Speed

DDR3 1333

Memory Spec

2GB x 1

Memory Slot (Total)

Memory Slot (Available)

Maximum Memory Supported

8GB

I would suggest looking to find out how much it would cost you to fill up one or more of your free memory slots with more 2G DDR3-1333 memory cards. 2G is not very much for this game.

You should be able to find 2G cards for around $20 each.

is that all i need i do not know much about computers

hello, will this computer run swtor on highest settings?

Processor

Intel® Core™ i3-2120 3.3GHz (3MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading Technology

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit.

Memory3

4GB4 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

Hard Drive

1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache

Video Card

1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545

hello, will this computer run swtor on highest settings?

Processor

Intel® Core™ i3-2120 3.3GHz (3MB Cache) with Hyper-Threading Technology

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit.

Memory3

4GB4 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

Hard Drive

1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache

Video Card

1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545

I would up the video card to a 550ti atleast a 560ti would be better and get 8gb of memory since it's so cheap.

I'm looking at a system that has an i5 sandybridge and 8 gigs of ram. (Unfortunately, it's a pre-built system, I don't have a choice on that.) I was looking at getting an NVIDIA GT 520 to go along with that, but I was wondering if it is worth upping it to something like the GTX 550Ti?

Anything would be a huge upgrade over what I was running (I don't even meet the minimum specs), but I'd like to be able to run on high settings, (even if I have to tweak them a little). If I can average 30 fps on higher settings, I would be ecstatic.

How much of a difference would swapping my GPU choice make?

I'm looking at a system that has an i5 sandybridge and 8 gigs of ram. (Unfortunately, it's a pre-built system, I don't have a choice on that.) I was looking at getting an NVIDIA GT 520 to go along with that, but I was wondering if it is worth upping it to something like the GTX 550Ti?

Anything would be a huge upgrade over what I was running (I don't even meet the minimum specs), but I'd like to be able to run on high settings, (even if I have to tweak them a little). If I can average 30 fps on higher settings, I would be ecstatic.

For a simple answer yes.

With a 520 (it's nowhere near a gaming card lowest settings at best) you will be very disapointed. If its a prebuilt that comes with a 520 and your going to add a 550ti you will probaly need a new power supply also because they usally put the bare min in them.

The 550ti is not really good either get a 6850 or better 560ti. It runs fine on a 6850 but still not maxed out.

They are always choices building a PC is really easy.

I smell a cyberpower PC

http://www.hwcompare.com/9711/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

This will last you for years to come.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.770956

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106333

Edited by blowmedown

PM me if you wish i might have what you need and save you a few $ i3 2120 CPU

6850 GPU

I've just bought some new computer parts, not strictly for SWTOR, but I would love to hear some of what I can expect in terms of FPS and graphics settings in comparison to my current build.

Current build:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

1TB HDD

8GB RAM

nVidia GeForce 250 GTS GPU

Intel i5 650 dual-core 3.20 GHz CPU

550W PSU

Steady 10 FPS in combat with everything on low and turned off.

New build:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

120 GB SSD (purely for system and 2 or 3 of the games I play the most)

8GB RAM (might upgrade these if it will help)

Intel i7 2700k quad-core 3.50 GHz CPU (planning on overclocking this)

Gainward GeForce GTX 570 "Golden Sample" GPU

1050W PSU.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Senatsu