Status on new PvP content?

Draekos

Just a wishful post to hear something from the PvP devs. When can we expect ancient hypergates(not a date, but a patch number would be nice)? Any new quests(encourage rated play please)? Any additional news on Ilum or other World PvP content?

I know they pretty much ignore this section of the forum, but I figured i would at least ask.

Ancient hypergate will probably be in 1.6 and I imagine that's when season 1 will begin for ranked, as for Ilum they said in an interview that they will be revamping it sometime in January to make open world PvP viable again.

Ancient hypergate will probably be in 1.6 and I imagine that's when season 1 will begin for ranked, as for Ilum they said in an interview that they will be revamping it sometime in January to make open world PvP viable again.

well that's a recipe for disaster!

1. every patch comes with an obligatory "they broke vstar again!"
  2. aaaaand, every new WZ/OPS comes with some sort of glitch

perhaps they should just do one or the other with new WZ and s1 - one at a time that is. :D

I highly doubt a new WarZone will bring players back. EWH sets with worse stats than WH definitely won't.

We need Open World PvP with similar, better and/or different rewards than WZs (like other types of sets or something with different bonuses). 1v1 with rewards also might.

We need a different mechanic.

After max/min WH, there's pretty much no reason to play for.

I highly doubt a new WarZone will bring players back. EWH sets with worse stats than WH definitely won't.

We need Open World PvP with similar, better and/or different rewards than WZs (like other types of sets or something with different bonuses). 1v1 with rewards also might.

Agreed. A new box won't bring anyone back. We need some persistent battlegrounds for us to play in, where PvPers can run "dailies" without being forced to PvE every flipping day.

^this. Personally, I'm not a fan of vertical scaling in the endgame because there is little to no replayability and motivation to keep playing once you achieved the top of the vertical scale. After achieving the top, you end up waiting for the next big update to the game which can get boring. I don't think its sound business plan actually. I'd prefer if bioware figures out that certain sandbox elements such as a functional world pvp, etc. has a lot of replayability factor requiring minimal updates which saves them money.

• Dev Post

Hi everyone! I asked Damion Schubert for any news or information we can share. There are many questions about the topic, but he did have a bit to say about new Warzone content:

Fear not! New Warzone content is in heavy testing and should be in the next major patch after 1.5. We hesitate to give exact timing, but definitely before the year's end.

Hi everyone! I asked Damion Schubert for any news or information we can share. There are many questions about the topic, but he did have a bit to say about new Warzone content:

Fear not! New Warzone content is in heavy testing and should be in the next major patch after 1.5. We hesitate to give exact timing, but definitely before the year's end.

That's good to hear, thanks Allison.

Poster above: I'm flattered that you named your legacy after my trooper toon.

Edited by Joesixxpack

Good two warzones a year is more than enough:rolleyes:

Thanks Allison, but I more and more am feeling like it's just a dead end. PvP seems to just be old and stale; along with classes being perceived as either overpowered or underpowered, and malcontent of the resolve system. Makes me feel like it is a waste of time to pick a class and get geared when the class you play might be changed, or might not be.

If you play a class that is seen as overpowered, you will get lots of whining about it and possibly a nerf. If you play one that is underpowered, some people will say they would rather have something else in a ranked match, and maybe your class doesn't get a buff. Some classes that seem to need a buff, might have to have their concept redone entirely in order to not make them over powered. Some that may get nerfed, might go too far if done at the same time as others getting a buff (see sorce and mercs) and changing resolve; that is much maligned, could rewrite the balance entirely.

To top it all off, I am just getting tired of Warzones in general and as the main path to PvP gear. A new warzone, will still be a box of boredom in a week or so. Actually, I don't think Novarre coast was that entertaining beyond the first couple of times

I guess I don't know how to get across what I am thinking, but it is overall a bleak outlook, and I honestly don't know how to fix it all. The only thing I can say is make it fun, regardless of the details of balance. The only thing I think can do that is an open world pvp with persistent objectives held by the factions.

To top it all off, I am just getting tired of Warzones in general and as the main path to PvP gear. A new warzone, will still be a box of boredom in a week or so. Actually, I don't think Novarre coast was that entertaining beyond the first couple of times

I guess I don't know how to get across what I am thinking, but it is overall a bleak outlook, and I honestly don't know how to fix it all. The only thing I can say is make it fun, regardless of the details of balance. The only thing I think can do that is an open world pvp with persistent objectives held by the factions.

Love it...I don't like having to PvP for PvP gear and I find warzones boring and I don't know how to make it fun but you should so get on it.

Love it...I don't like having to PvP for PvP gear and I find warzones boring and I don't know how to make it fun but you should so get on it.

You missed the point. Warzones are getting old. Adding one does not change that. There could be more to pvp than warzones.

You missed the point. Warzones are getting old. Adding one does not change that. There could be more to pvp than warzones.

Well I believe they are looking to make Ilum viable again in January so there might be hope for a reason to do open world other than just for fun. Also I still enjoy warzones and yes sometimes they get old but I think with this new TDM style warzone coming it will make it worth while.

I mainly just cant believe they have not taken the 3 styles of warzones you have and just giving them different maps. A new huttball map would be awesome same with a different style CW/NC...not a fan of VS but yeah something new for that.

Great to hear mr. Allison! I'm glad we have some news finally.

Don't forget to poke devs about world pvp on Illum ;)

Edited by MelodicSixNine

Well I believe they are looking to make Ilum viable again in January so there might be hope for a reason to do open world other than just for fun. Also I still enjoy warzones and yes sometimes they get old but I think with this new TDM style warzone coming it will make it worth while.

I mainly just cant believe they have not taken the 3 styles of warzones you have and just giving them different maps. A new huttball map would be awesome same with a different style CW/NC...not a fan of VS but yeah something new for that.

Yeah. I enjoy warzones still every now and then but it just gets monotonous. Adding one is a start, but there still will be just 5 you repeat over and over.

Too bad they can't do maps for the different games that get randomly generated corridors that would be different all the time. Maybe a capture the flag where teams are in opposite ends of a maze or something.

I never understood that either. To be fair though, they didn't expect pvp to be really popular, and I'm guessing it was not on their priority list as opposed to the pve content during launch. But ya, I agree, you do not really need different objective mechanics to have a new map (don't get me wrong, its good to have different gametypes), but you can take the pre-existing gametypes and slap them new maps to compete in.

That almost made it sound as if the new WZ we were promised for 1.5 isn't coming out in 1.5?! I forget the name of it though, the one where the center of the field is suppose to explode.

I don't believe hypergates was ever promised for 1.5. In fact I think I remember them specifically saying that it would not be in 1.5 when 1.4 came out, but I've been wrong before.

I don't believe hypergates was ever promised for 1.5. In fact I think I remember them specifically saying that it would not be in 1.5 when 1.4 came out, but I've been wrong before.

AFAIK they've never said anything about it being in 1.5.

Not sure why it's so difficult to crank out a new WZ every few months. Box off some random section of an existing area, put some platforms and jump pads in, draw a line at each end, and you have another Huttball map. The same could be done with Novare Coast and Civil War, which are both extremely basic warzones. Heck, they've released more operations than warzones and those are way more complex. Even a big empty room where everyone just has a big chaotic deathmatch brawl would be better than nothing ;)

Not sure why it's so difficult to crank out a new WZ every few months. Box off some random section of an existing area, put some platforms and jump pads in, draw a line at each end, and you have another Huttball map. The same could be done with Novare Coast and Civil War, which are both extremely basic warzones. Heck, they've released more operations than warzones and those are way more complex. Even a big empty room where everyone just has a big chaotic deathmatch brawl would be better than nothing ;)

I would like a free for all WZ where the winner is determined by how many kills in 5 mins. It would be a quick WZ but fun for all.