Best class for DoT?

AceOfThrawns

I'm having a ton of fun with my AP powertech and I was wondering if there was a class that was as fun but made better use of DoTs.

Thanks all:D

If you want a class with the most dots, I'd go lethality/engineering hybrid sniper. It has 4 dots, Interrogation Probe, Corrosive Grenade, Corrosive Dart, and Orbital strike. The build is built around keeping up your poison dots (CD and CG) to make an ability called "cull" do awesome damage. IP should be kept up at all times too for additional damage. Orbital is more of a situational thing you use once a minute, but it is the hardest hitting ability in the game. If you love seeing rapid moderate numbers flash on your screen and a few huge numbers every now and then, I would suggest this spec.

Pyro in the PT tree also revolves around dots, but the rotation is kind of boring and repetitive

Edited by bbare

Although it is not nearly as dependent as other classes on DoT, the Vengeance Jugg does make use of bleed effects with Force Scream, Impale, and Shatter. However, both of the first two don't get the bleed effects till you spec them in your tree, and you won't get Shatter till lvl 40.

>Best class for DoT?

For PvE or PvP?

For PvE almost all of the DoT dps subclasses are viable. Merc Pyro and Operative Lethality are probably the least preferred but can be carried by a good set of teammates.

For PvP, don't use a DoT dps subclass. It's that simple. The way the game has evolved, at the top skill levels, your team MUST coordinate mezz/cc attempts to suppress the last defenders to enable a cap/node turnover. And your DoT damage screws that up. So you are actually detrimental to your team's attacking efforts. And since DoT doesn't correspondingly hinder an enemy cap, you have no compensating defensive advantages. No good ranked team wants a DoT dps player. The one exception to this rule is the PT Pyro. His burst is high enough that some teams will take one in spite of his DoT.

• 3 weeks later...