Nameplates and arrow lost after instance switch to join team

Plo_Coon

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been experiencing this bug since the 2.3 patch, and thought I'd add my voice to the void.

I have nameplate on self turned on. Upon entering a warzone, switching instances via Map pull down, or entering a Group Finder Flashpoint, causes my nameplate to function improperly in the following ways:

• Healthbar shows at approxamatly 1%, while I am at 100%, and nameplate healthbar will not update when health changes
  • Castbars on nameplates do not show anymore
  • Arrows above selected targets no longer show

The following occur sometimes; but, less frequently, and can be fixed by Ctrl+U:

• UI elements disappear
  • Castbar no longer appears

Adjusting preferences does nothing to fix the issue. Has anyone found a workaround at all?

I'm posting here for a guild mate who is preferred and unable to post on the forums.

I have test this on all my original characters I can go in and out of WZ/GF and not lose the Target arrow. But all my NEW character (created in last few days) all seem to be effected by this They all lose target arrows the moment they enter GF or WZ and they regain the target arrow's they moment they leave WZ/GF.

Would seem if you skipping the cut scenes on the character affected by this bug it happens ,but if you let the scene play out the arrows remember. so far every time i let the cut scenes play out the target arrow remained and every time I Skipped the cut scenes the arrow disappeared. At lest for WZ GF it still happens That or this could just be coincidence so

Still occurring. Originally (since release, even) this only happened on a single planet (Belsavis) for me and it only happened when I would switch instances in any manner (traveling to a group/guild member's instance, invited to a group and the option pops up, or switching instances on my own).

Approximately six months ago this began occurring intermittently in any location that I would switch instances (planet or fleet, though not very noticeable on the fleet because of the lack of enemies). More recently (somewhere between patch 2.0 and 2.2), this began occurring intermittently in flashpoints and warzones as well as switching planetary instances.

To say it was annoying doing PVE on planets is understating it but it is absolutely game breaking playing with a significant handicap like this in PVP. IMO, this needs to be the top priority bug and should have appeared on the known issues thread by now.

For those of you that are looking for something of a work around when doing planet questing, FPs, or Ops, shutting the game down from the task manager and logging that character back in won't drop you from group and it will appear like you've disconnected. When you log back in, you will be in the right instance and the UI typically works correctly.

ETA: This is occurring when I load on to a planet by traveling there through normal means whereas originally this only occurred when I switched planet instances. It seems to be intermittent.

Edited by Rygho

I posted another bug report below this on because the bug happens in a different manner now and its worse.

I was on a bounty quest on Coruscant when I joined a WZ queue.

When I joined the WZ my Targetting arrow was broken. I could tab between targets but the arrow never appeared above the head of my enemy target.

I tried control U. That did not fix it.

I restarted my client completely (while still on the bounty quest) and that did not fix it. I join another WZ and the bug was still occurring.

The issue went away once I returned to the fleet and my bounty quest was over.

Bioware folks...I am pretty sure you can reproduce the bug by taking the Coruscant bounty quest, landing in Coruscant and then taking a WZ queue.

Figured I'd add my name here too...

This bug has been consistently happening to me for a Loooong time. Everytime I switch instances of planets to join a group I lose my targeting arrow. As a tank that is extremely annoying and difficult to find what the heck it is I'm actually targeting. Ground circle still present but hard to see from many angles, and or large sized targets.

Update on my experiences as requested by DEVS. I apologize for how long it took me to get back to you.

I see that now others are having similar issues in other ways. From my testing I have the following behaviors.

1) What disappears

a. The overhead target arrow

b. The namelplate

c. The vertical circle

d. Overhead health bars

Also: The ground circle is always present. The type of mob (friendly, enemy, player, NPC, green, yelllow, blue, red) is not a factor.

Note:There may be other things....perhaps I haven't noticed them. I have also made no attempt to correlate the arrow problems with the other more common UI problems that are corrected by a UI reset. I am also unsure about game OBJECTS (chests, datacrons.....and such).

2) When it happens:

a. Switching instances on a planet/fleet/orbital station. It does not matter if I am in a group or not. It does happen on Fleet. It does happen on the various orbital stations associated with a planet (HOTH, MAKEB, QUESH etc......)

Note: Some people have reported that not having anything currently targetted at the moment of the instance switch prevents the issue. My testing shows this to be untrue for me.

3) When it does not happen

a. If I have just logged in and I have not targetted anything at all. I haven't tested this for consistency but the 2 or 3 times I did it, things appeared to work.

b. When entering an FP/OP phase.

c. When doing anything OTHER than an instance switch (leaving a planet, going to a planet.....etc)

4) What corrects the issue

a. Going to your ship

b. Going to another planet/fleet by any of the available methods (terminal, fleet pass, legecy transport...)

c. Entering an FP/OP - I won't swear to the consistency of this....I just have not seen it in an FP/OP

d. logging out and back in via a game crash - via alt-tab to windows and kill ( if you just log out normally your out of group so you come back in a wrong instance and your back where you started. Crashing out leaves you in group and brings you back to the groups instance and its fixed.)

e. Logging out and back in (i.e. you just quit group and come back into game)

f. I am unsure about WZ. I don't PVP much but I believe I had the bug in a WZ once. Just won't swear to it on my mothers grave.

5) What does NOT correct the issue

a. Entering a story/mission phase

b. Dying (in any way shape or form including jumping off cliffs)

c. leaving group (without a crash)

d. changing groups

e. reseting missons/phases

f. CTRL-U, CTRL-U. This fixes the various health bar display issues and such that many have reported. But it DOES NOT fix the target issue.

6) Other interesting behaviors

a. Having NAMEPLATES forced on in preferences overrides the bug...for nameplates. If there was an override for the arrow and circle I suspect that would work too (but it makes no game sense to have such)

b. On some occasions I can see my target arrow, circle and nameplate on a mob in the instance I am in....but I cannot move it by targetting a different mob. It is like I don't 'OWN' it anymore.

c. My friend has a different computer but the same video card....and he has all the behaviors - Radeon video cards. Yes we have current drivers.

7) My opinion

There is a large hole in the instance switch. But CTRL-U/CTRL-U fixes many of the issues so that it is not really anything more than a minor annoyance. However, the target arrow problem is not being reset by the CTRL-U/CTRL-U. Rather than find out why the bug happens....go after why the User Interface reset doesn't correct it.

Beyond this I can't imagine being able to give more information. Unless you want to install some sort of monitor code on my machine - which I will gladly volunteer for. If you want me to test a specific case I didn't cover, I also volunteer for that. The computer I use has very few programs installed as it is a dedicated gaming computer.

Edited by Plo_Coon

I'll happily add my name to this thread as also suffering from this issue.

I can confirm that it happens 100% of the time when joining a group on a planet and switching instance to join the group leader. I can also confirm that this never happens when joining a flashpoint or operation group and zoning in via the LFG tool or manually.

I loose all targeting apart from the red circle around the targets feet. Occasionally one target will keep it's arrow and targeting information even when targeting another member of the encounter. This doesn't always seem to be the case though, I can also confirm that the only thing that seems to work as for resolving the issue is leaving the game in some way, either logging out or crashing as previously described.

This is a major pain and has been for some time, can make grouping dangerous as you're often not certain what you're actually targeting.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

I am calling in from Germany playing on Vanjervalis Chain.

Same problem here.

It only happenes with relately new chars in Under-30 and Under-55 PVP. As soon as I return to questing on a planet or the fleet after finishing a warzone everything is fine again.

I am not aware of changing any UI settings. Turning on/off class symbols or resetting UI altogether via CTRL+U (hope it is the same combo with english keyboards) did not bring any help.

This is extremely annoying. So a fix would be much appreciated.

Greetings from the Old World!

• 2 weeks later...
I've been experiencing this since launch, and it's still around. I'll be happy to provide the QA folks whatever info they might want if it'll help narrow things down. If I change instances on a given planet, it goes out almost 100% of the time - if I'm grouped. If I'm not grouped, it is less likely to do it, but still fairly often does, especially if my roommate happens to be logged in at the same time. Not sure if there's some wonkiness due to IPs or not. It's also more regular on my Imperial alts than my republic ones for some stupid reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Since some time back i've had a bug with my healthbar frozen, showing allmost no health at all.

This allmost allways happen when i instant travel to Dromun Kaas via the legacy perk, and when i travel back to Fleet by the granted Fleet Pass from completing a contract in the Bounty Hunter Event.

When i load into a warzone in this state, i can't see the target "markers" and not my castbar. Resetting the UI makes the healthbar frozen at full health instead of allmost none, but targetting and castbar issues remain.

Do anyone else experience this issue or is it just me? ...It's quite annoying when in pvp =/

The only workaround i know is logging to char select and back in.

Since my thread was moved here (Didn't see this one) i can confirm that this happens to me with allmost 100% accuracy when i do the following:

1. Get a Bounty Contract on fleet

2. Use Instant Travel to homeworld (Dromund Kaas) - The Legacy Perk

3. Finish the contract

4. Speak to the contact

5. Use the Instant Fleet Pass that is granted upon completion of a Bounty Contract

6. Load back into Imperial Fleet - and this is when i get this bug

The bug itself:

1. Freezes my healthbar at like 1%

2. CTRL + U only makes the healthbar freeze at 100% instead

3. Every other players healthbars looks and acts just fine

4. Targetting markers and outlined circle disappears

Once i have this bug it seems to come and go as it pleases even when i enter warzones. So yes, i have been in both Arenas and Warzones carrying this bug - and it's not easy...

The one and only way to make sure it doesn't keep haunting me is to log off and log back.

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently come back to the game after being away around 6-8 months and I'm really disappointed to see this bug still exists. It's getting to the point where I'm avoiding grouping simply because I'm fed up with losing nameplates/and or arrows after instance switches. It really makes it much harder than it should be to run with a group. Group missions are, not surprisingly, much more chaotic than single player and attempting to run with a group with this bug is a bit like playing with one eye shut and one hand behind your back. I rely on the nameplate and arrow to give me the information I need as quickly as possible, I'm not used to having to look down at the target select icon to see who I'm aiming at. Thanks to this bug I've done everything from heal the wrong person (and watch the one I meant to heal die), to accidentally aggroing another group of enemies and causing a team wipe during a battle because I couldn't instantly tell who I had targeted. That sort of thing can give you the wrong sort of reputation among players and can be quite distressing if you are the sort of person that normally works well in a team.

BTW doesn't seem to matter what brand of graphics card you have, I tried my ATI and NVIDIA and both have the issue.

NEW Information!!!

I was at a friends house and he had his game. I logged in to do something with my character and happened to change instances and the bug showed up. All the same issues. So we logged off mine and got onto his account. And NO PROBLEMS.

This problem is with the account <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I wonder if this has something to do with being an F2P account when F2P went live. And now something is left over. The person who doesn't have the problem has a recent account. And another friend who does made one the same week as me. I am going to start an F2P account and see if I get the issue. I will update here when I get a chance.

I HOPE HOPE HOPE this puts BW on track to fix this issue.

NEW Information!!!

I was at a friends house and he had his game. I logged in to do something with my character and happened to change instances and the bug showed up. All the same issues. So we logged off mine and got onto his account. And NO PROBLEMS.

This problem is with the account <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I wonder if this has something to do with being an F2P account when F2P went live. And now something is left over. The person who doesn't have the problem has a recent account. And another friend who does made one the same week as me. I am going to start an F2P account and see if I get the issue. I will update here when I get a chance.

I HOPE HOPE HOPE this puts BW on track to fix this issue.

You can't switch accounts without exiting the game. And that fixes the bug.

Sorry bro, no new info. :(

No one else has this happening? =/

This bug has been around since launch for me, always subscribed. Still broken. Nameplates work (because they're all turned on in preferences) but the targeting arrow is lost when changing instances. Ground circle still works so you can just barely tell what target is selected. This happens after same planet instance change regardless of grouped or not. The only actions outside of relog is planet/ship change. I suspect there is a bug in instance change code where it's not using same code path as loading a new planet - perhaps check the cache flush, since I record about 2x the disk activity when changing instances vs. loading new planet.

System: XP SP3 32bit /fastdetect - no /3gb

Card: NV G92 (250 GTS) 512MB on nvidia driver 320.49 . I have been through about 3-4 driver upgrades since launch, as well as numerous diskcachearena recreations and repairs, so those can be ruled out.

Edited by Foobert

You can't switch accounts without exiting the game. And that fixes the bug.

Sorry bro, no new info. :(

Dude you sooooo didn't get it. Why even post? I will spell it out slowly for you.

1. Friend logs in on his computer. Switches instances. NO instance bugs. He unlogs.

2. On same computer, I log into my account. Change instances. Instance bug occurs 100% of the time. I unlog.

3. He logs in, instance switches, no bug.

The bug is ACCOUNT RELATED, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NOT computer related. My friends computer has absolutely nothing in common with mine. This has nothing to do with the fact you have to restart the game to log in. I am not saying changing accounts makes arrows come back. I AM saying it only happens on MY ACCOUNT!

Edited by Plo_Coon

• 4 weeks later...
Please BioWare do something with this. We've already figured out that it's probably account related. For me and many other people who have bought that game nearly 2 years ago is unplayable in groups with other players and i have recently returned to SWTOR and I am a subscriber (but i guess not for long, because of this huge, tremendous bug). How can we pay for something that does'nt work?