GTN Search Issues [BUG]

Caligari

Hi folks, I just wanted to check to see if you are still seeing issues with search as you've outlined above. Please let me know, along with any other specific details that you can share. Thanks!

As someone else mentioned: search by text appears to be intermittently affected by a bug. I submitted a ticket last week but to summarise:

If, for example, I enter the text "egg", I get 6 items, all leggings of some kind.

If I type "eggi", I get around 2-3 pages of schematics and leggings.

If I type "unusual", I get 2 Unusual Eggs.

Sometimes this will work fine and I'll get 3 pages of varied results by entering this search parameter, however on numerous occasions I will fail to get all, or perhaps any, results. Bug can be replicated fairly reliably. Hope this sums it up in enough detail. :)

-J

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks, I just wanted to check to see if you are still seeing issues with search as you've outlined above. Please let me know, along with any other specific details that you can share. Thanks!

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I am going to chime in here and say that the biggest issue I am having with the GTN is my Legacy ship GTN. You want to talk about not finding stuff when you search... I can't get ANYTHING to come up on my ship GTN. The rumors I am hearing is that it's connected to the nar shadda GTN system, which I have to believe is either a bug or a massive oversight. Reguardless of the explanation, my ship GTN is 100% not useful, and therefore very broken. I have been expecting to see this fixed in every patch that has come along, but so far nothing. Until you guys fix this, this was an unbelievable waste of 5 million credits.

The rumors I am hearing is that it's connected to the nar shadda GTN system, which I have to believe is either a bug or a massive oversight..

Rumors? Did you read the tool tip on the legacy item? It says very plainly "Unlocks a neutral Galactic Trade Network terminal on all character's ships."

That's quite unfortunate if you are on an empty server like Hex Droid. I went to the GTN on NS hoping to find some of the crafting mats I can't get on the imperial GTN and it was pretty much empty. I went through each category from top to bottom and found 3 items for sale :(

While we understand the frustration this may cause, we would like to assure you that we are doing our utmost to ensure that our players have the best possible game play experience, regardless of which server they play on. As such server population balance and composition is something which we are constantly monitoring.

Yes I still have issues with search not working correctly. For instance when I select Melee Weapons -> Lightsaber and type in "augmented" or "aug" nothing comes up, but when I manually browse through the entire list there are plenty of augmented lightsabers for sale.

Edited by Rhaphael

They are merging all the GTNs in 1.3, as I recall. But yes, right now, it's the neutral GTN.

Thats another nice rumor I have heard, but I don't recall seeing an official dev statement to that effect. And even then, 1.3 isn't even on the test server yet. It could easily be a month or more away yet. The ship GTN is essentially non-functional NOW. It has been since it was added in 1.2 a month ago. There is no good reason for the devs to leave the single most expensive purchase in the game broken until 1.3, whenever that is. This is something that is in the game, right now, that should be fixed.

And for the record, my server has a pretty good population, not the highest, but far from the lowest. Simply put, no one on my server is using the NS GTN. As it stands, this thing should have cost 5k, not 5m, given how valuable it is.

The ship GTN is essentially non-functional NOW. It has been since it was added in 1.2 a month ago. There is no good reason for the devs to leave the single most expensive purchase in the game broken until 1.3, whenever that is. This is something that is in the game, right now, that should be fixed.

And for the record, my server has a pretty good population, not the highest, but far from the lowest. Simply put, no one on my server is using the NS GTN. As it stands, this thing should have cost 5k, not 5m, given how valuable it is.

It isn't broken! It is working as designed as stated in the patch notes and as stated in the tool tip of the box you clicked to buy it. I understand you have buyer's remorse but they didn't hide that it was the neutral GTN, you just missed that part, that's your own fault. :( I agree with you that it isn't worth anything but that's why I didn't drop 5M on it. I will once it ties into the faction GTN though.

Yes I still have issues with search not working correctly. For instance when I select Melee Weapons -> Lightsaber and type in "augmented" or "aug" nothing comes up, but when I manually browse through the entire list there are plenty of augmented lightsabers for sale.

I would hope you are selecting "Custom" as the rarity option when looking for augmented stuff to save yourself time. which should narrow the search considerably.

It isn't broken! It is working as designed as stated in the patch notes and as stated in the tool tip of the box you clicked to buy it. I understand you have buyer's remorse but they didn't hide that it was the neutral GTN, you just missed that part, that's your own fault. :( I agree with you that it isn't worth anything but that's why I didn't drop 5M on it. I will once it ties into the faction GTN though.

*facepalm*

This doesn't make it right. Having a feature being horribly ill conceived can be just as bad as being entirely broken, if it is functionally useless. And yes, that does mean it needs to be fixed.

The same thing happened with Rocket boost. In 1.2 it was a serious waste of money. It was classified as a vehicle, which meant it could only be used in vehicle permitted areas. This made it pointless if you were 25+ because you were much better off just jumping on a speeder. And, coming in 1.3, we will be able to use speeders at level 10, which would have made rocket boost even less useful. But guess what? They fixed it in a later patch. You can now use it anywhere as long as you aren't in a warzone, nor in combat. Rocket boost is now a worthwhile legacy purchase. I get a lot of use out of it on characters of all levels.

The GTN is in the same situation. It is very ill designed, the devs should have known better than to implement it this way. No matter how you look at it, the GTN's value entirely hinges on them changing it. Either by connecting it to the fleet GTN like it should be, or by doing that supposed GTN merger. Either way a patch needs to be coming for this.

And I can't imagine why anyone is argueing with me on this, I am sure you would all love to have one if it were useful, and the sooner the better. Making the ship GTN functional benefits everyone.

*facepalm*

This doesn't make it right. Having a feature being horribly ill conceived can be just as bad as being entirely broken, if it is functionally useless. And yes, that does mean it needs to be fixed.

The same thing happened with Rocket boost. In 1.2 it was a serious waste of money. It was classified as a vehicle, which meant it could only be used in vehicle permitted areas. This made it pointless if you were 25+ because you were much better off just jumping on a speeder. And, coming in 1.3, we will be able to use speeders at level 10, which would have made rocket boost even less useful. But guess what? They fixed it in a later patch. You can now use it anywhere as long as you aren't in a warzone, nor in combat. Rocket boost is now a worthwhile legacy purchase. I get a lot of use out of it on characters of all levels.

The GTN is in the same situation. It is very ill designed, the devs should have known better than to implement it this way. No matter how you look at it, the GTN's value entirely hinges on them changing it. Either by connecting it to the fleet GTN like it should be, or by doing that supposed GTN merger. Either way a patch needs to be coming for this.

And I can't imagine why anyone is argueing with me on this, I am sure you would all love to have one if it were useful, and the sooner the better. Making the ship GTN functional benefits everyone.

Nobody is arguing with you over the positive points of having a functional GTN, they are just highlighting the fact that you did not read you would be buying a neutral GTN on your ship and complaining about it will not change that. Maybe you can put a ticket in for 'Buyers Remorse'.

I'd guess that considering the amount of players that actually spent the money for a ship GTN, which I imagine is a tiny percentage of the playerbase, addressing this issue is low priority compared to others that effect far more players.

However, the rumor that BW will link all the GTN's is recognition that they know the GTN economies are faltering by all being separate. Basically, they overestimated each servers population from the start, which directly effects the estimated amount of use that each factional and then the neutral GTN's would get.

As we all know, especially if you are a crafter, with server populations generally dropping from the release-level hype, this has led to a corresponding drop in use of the GTN's. This is further compounded by the 'teething' problems that the GTN's appear to have that are not yet resolved.

BW need to make using the GTN's fun and engaging, and I suspect when the official announcement comes out regarding the linking of the GTN's that BW also announce some new or improved GTN features to re-engage people.

If not they are up **** creek without a paddle.

Nobody is arguing with you over the positive points of having a functional GTN, they are just highlighting the fact that you did not read you would be buying a neutral GTN on your ship and complaining about it will not change that. Maybe you can put a ticket in for 'Buyers Remorse'.

See, that's the absurd part. There is no reason to attack me for that. Sure I missed the part about it being neutral. But that's not important. This is not a matter of buyer's remorse. You are just making me sound selfish and demeaning the problem with comments like that. The point I am making is that it should not work this way period. If you have any common sense at all, you should be able to realize that. I am posting here, because I am trying to improve this aspect of the game. Sitting on a high horse and saying "I didn't buy it" solves absolutely nothing. Telling bioware that they need to fix this is the best thing we can do. Wether I personally bought it or not is irrelevant, I would still be taking this stance if I hadn't. We keep hearing Bioware devs say things like "We wanted feature X to be the best it could be..." and if that is their stance, then they really dropped the ball on the ship GTN.

BW need to make using the GTN's fun and engaging, and I suspect when the official announcement comes out regarding the linking of the GTN's that BW also announce some new or improved GTN features to re-engage people.

If not they are up **** creek without a paddle.

Thing is, I already know why the GTN is lackluster and doesn't get used much. I explained it in a different topic a little while back. And I doubt bioware will be willing to do what they need to in order to fix it properly. It's not buggyness in the search functionality, although that is certainly a problem.

The biggest problem with the GTN is how the entire solo game is itemized. The solo portion of SWTOR rewards people too well. As you level up, you get useful stuff from quests, from drops, from commendation merchants. Most of this stuff might be greens, but it's roughly your level, and is good enough. On top of that if you are doing a craft such as armormech, you are even better able to fill in the equipment gaps and keep yourself equipped in green/blue/purple gear that is roughly your level. There is little or no need to go use the GTN. Likewise, this diminishes the value of flashpoint rewards. It sucks running a flashpoint, seeing your item drop, and already having something better, but you haven't out leveled the flashpoint yet.

Now look at how WOW does itemization. Solo play rewards very poor equipment. When you are 15, you will be getting greens that are level 6ish. They might appear to be an upgrade for you at first, but you are actually better off just taking those items to the AH and buying a level 14 item for that item slot from someone else. Likewise, when you go into a dungeon in WOW, you will get blue items that are typically a huge upgrade over the stuff you got out of solo play and crafting. But there is typically only a couple items for your class in each dungeon. You need to fill in the gaps some other way, which means auction house, crafting and solo play.

Does that make sense to anyone else? If Solo play is too rewarding (and it very much is), there is far less need to use the GTN or to run flashpoints. In order to get more people to use the GTN (for both buying and selling), bioware needs to nerf the solo item rewards throughout the entire game, so that people have a reason to buy stuff from each other. Of course I doubt they will do that. They are going to keep trying to implement stuff like crafted augments and augment kits in an effort to give people something to buy from each other, but that's a bandaid on a far bigger problem.

I still have search issues with the GTN. They happen the most often when dealing with augments and schematics. Often I will search schematics by something like 'reflex' or 'skill' or 'shield' to find any augment schematics of those types. It will list nothing often when there exist those types of schematics. Also I will often just search schematics for 'augment' to list all augment schematics in Armormech, and it will give me nothing. But when I search for everything and go though all 20 pages of schematics, I do see multiple augment schematics.

1.2 did improve the GTN and economy, but a lot more work is still needed on both. I've seen details about economy changes in 1.3. I would rather see more of a shift towards (rather than away from) player provided 'expenses' like augment kits rather than more credit sinks like a charge paid to the nether for adding an augment slot. But at least there are positive changes for the economy.

I have not seen mention of any GTN improvements as part of 1.3. This is still a great weakness of the game and something that is a large turn off to players. They simply can't find the stuff they want/need and that effects the demand for crafters who list stuff but can go days without having any buyers. I don't think that issue is completely that no one wants the crafted stuff, it is more of an issue with it being too hard to access (not enough GTN access points in world) and searching the GTN being too unreliable and buggy. I've often done searches for lvl 49+ purple relics, implants, earpieces and other things and found none. So I decided that there were none available. But then guildmates tell me that they are on the GTN and give me some intricate set of steps to follow in order to get the GTN to display them...

The biggest problem with the GTN is how the entire solo game is itemized. The solo portion of SWTOR rewards people too well. As you level up, you get useful stuff from quests, from drops, from commendation merchants. Most of this stuff might be greens, but it's roughly your level, and is good enough. On top of that if you are doing a craft such as armormech, you are even better able to fill in the equipment gaps and keep yourself equipped in green/blue/purple gear that is roughly your level. There is little or no need to go use the GTN. Likewise, this diminishes the value of flashpoint rewards. It sucks running a flashpoint, seeing your item drop, and already having something better, but you haven't out leveled the flashpoint yet.

Now look at how WOW does itemization. Solo play rewards very poor equipment. When you are 15, you will be getting greens that are level 6ish. They might appear to be an upgrade for you at first, but you are actually better off just taking those items to the AH and buying a level 14 item for that item slot from someone else. Likewise, when you go into a dungeon in WOW, you will get blue items that are typically a huge upgrade over the stuff you got out of solo play and crafting. But there is typically only a couple items for your class in each dungeon. You need to fill in the gaps some other way, which means auction house, crafting and solo play.

Does that make sense to anyone else? If Solo play is too rewarding (and it very much is), there is far less need to use the GTN or to run flashpoints. In order to get more people to use the GTN (for both buying and selling), bioware needs to nerf the solo item rewards throughout the entire game, so that people have a reason to buy stuff from each other. Of course I doubt they will do that. They are going to keep trying to implement stuff like crafted augments and augment kits in an effort to give people something to buy from each other, but that's a bandaid on a far bigger problem.

This is certainly an issue. I've found much too often that I was able to keep myself in quality level orange gear and mods just by soloing. I'm not suggesting that if you solo only and don't use the GTN that you should find your character unplayable because everything is too hard. But there does need to be more of a gap between FP/crafted and solo quest gear. It looks like a good deal of this is being addressed in 1.3 with the improvements to FP gear. I imagine that they are scared to nerf existing solo quest rewards and it would be quite risky and hard to balance anyhow.

Also in 1.3, it appears that crafted gear will be considerably better than solo quest gear due to augment slots being more affordable. Currently even lvl 11-19 orange crit augmentable gear is 50-100k which is out of the price range of non-twinked leveling characters. But in the update, crafters will be able to sell their low level non-crit oranges and low level players will be able to put augment slots and augments in them to make them quite a lot more effective. Hopefully those players can then upgrade the mods in the gear as they level rather than having to keep this new 'expensive' gear for only a few levels before out leveling or replacing it.

Here are a few things I have noticed about the GTN UI.

The All selection for quality never works. Always choose at least Common in order to proceed with a search.

The search field seems to require the name of the item being searched for to be typed in exactly as it appears on the item, starting with the first letter. You can't just type in a word in the name any more and get a result. (ie. if you are searching for a schematic, you can't just type in say, Rugged and get Rugged Smuggler's Jacket and Leggings schematics, you have to type in Schematic: Rugged to get that result). Obviously a bug creating a limitation to the search feature.

The Usable by selection is broken. It has never worked properly. Don't even bother trying it.

The easiest way to search for anything is to choose the main selection (Armor, Ranged Weapon, etc.), choose the type (Medium, Blaster Rifle, etc.) and choose the quality (Uncommon, Rare, etc.). Then just reorganize the listing using the sort by feature. Sorting by level is the easiest. You can set a minimum and maximum level (that feature does work) to narrow things down even more.

I hope this helps some of you until they can get the GTN UI working properly.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

• 2 years later...

thanks for that advice - I have tried every combination without success (several hours wasted!)

Unfortunately customer services are less than helpful and people like Trineda closing another thread on this subject with no attempt to address the problem gives a very impression of the people they have there.

thanks for that advice - I have tried every combination without success (several hours wasted!)

Unfortunately customer services are less than helpful and people like Trineda closing another thread on this subject with no attempt to address the problem gives a very impression of the people they have there.

NECRO! :rak_01:

*** are you doing replying to a thread from 2012 about a GTN bug?