Guild Progression Ranking

very nice site, although it's is kind of relying on people being honest (and you cannot really prove your screens with in-game time stamps yet)

Since BW mentioned they will add something in the future the problem might solve itself. Right now certain things don't even work right (like receiving the title for the speedrun, but not being granted the achievement for the kill etc).....since this is the tier one of raiding in swtor in which first kills have the bitter sweet taste of certain guilds just spacebar rushing through the leveling process in order to achieve these, we will have to see how things develop in the second tier ;-)

i agree, however its a good idea to get these things started ready for when its sorted :)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree, however its a good idea to get these things started ready for when its sorted :)

you are right. I totally like how clean the site is and it's easy to use as well.

It was fun putting all the information on the kills up there and see how everything turns out.

very nice site, although it's is kind of relying on people being honest (and you cannot really prove your screens with in-game time stamps yet)

Since BW mentioned they will add something in the future the problem might solve itself. Right now certain things don't even work right (like receiving the title for the speedrun, but not being granted the achievement for the kill etc).....since this is the tier one of raiding in swtor in which first kills have the bitter sweet taste of certain guilds just spacebar rushing through the leveling process in order to achieve these, we will have to see how things develop in the second tier ;-)

The title for the speed runs works fine, its BW's mechanics for eliminating your achievement if you need to reset the instance due to a bug that is blocking you. I've yet to see any instance of a guild(or person) completing either raid in under two hours without having to reset the instance and not receiving their title. I'd be interested to hear of cases where that occurred.

As far as the site relying on the honesty of the community, you are right it does. It's that, or allowing another progression raiding guild to hold full control and have near zero transparency over how they deem a kill's date/time legitimate. It's understandable that it risks a dishonest group of people attempting to play havoc on the rankings, but it is also why we implemented a Confirmation and Dispute section for every kill. That section works as such:

1) You submit and post your Bonethrasher kill as being completed at 8:30CST.

2) Knowing your kill is legit, your guild members log into the site and each click their confirm button and all is well in the world.

Or

1) You submit and post your Bonethrasher kill as being completed at 8:30 PM CST.

2) X guild on your server you've been competing with completed Bonethrasher at 9 PM CST and believe you are falsifying your time because your raid didn't leave the instance until well after them. They proceed to dispute your kill believing it is incorrect.

Disputing will have no effect on the rankings directly until you have reached a certain dispute threshold, at which time the kill's ranking will be invalidated and the rankings will be recalculated using the next kill in line. The threshold for this to happen assuming zero confirmations is 50 disputes, or 50 more disputes than you have confirmations. For example:

0 Confirmations - 50 Disputes = Kill Invalidated

10 Confirmations - 50 Disputes = Kill Stands

10 Confirmations - 60 Disputes = Kill Invalidated

Once a kill is invalidated offically, the kill will be required to be deleted and resubmitted with hopefully better evidence than provided before which led to the disputes being placed on the kill. The best two methods for providing time stamps of some sort on a screen shot is either:

1) Run SWTOR in windowed mode and pull up your task bar with time/date and SWTOR in the background and Print Screen.

2) Pull up a website such as Google and search for Current UTC or use time.gov and select UCT and bring that window over your SWTOR UI and Print Screen.

Other methods are acceptable, but these are probably the simplest and provide the basic information needed within a community moderated system. Our site utilizes UTC when calculating and scoring the kills. In the next couple of days, we're going to implement a change that will allow you to input your times in your respective time zones and our system will automatically convert that into the appropriate UTC to eliminate any hassle. In the mean time please convert your local times into UTC until we get the change implemented.

I hope this information helps, as does any feedback or constructive criticism as this is a work in progress. While I'm definitely not one to claim that the tier 1 content was incredibly challenging overall or that the current rankings are indicative of what the next tiers rankings will be, it helps to input this tiers information now. This will allow us to flush the bugs out and get the site running as best we can with the features you want before 1.2 and future content releases so we do have a solid progression site that is both respected and trusted before content truly becomes competitive.

Edited by SageH

first of all, thank you for you posting this.

for the time being I am totally happy with how your site works now.

there were also other methods like right clicking and showing the difficulty setting you chose on the screen.

we never did that because the screens stopped looking pretty :p

The title for the speed runs works fine, its BW's mechanics for eliminating your achievement

when we first killed soa on nightmare we weren't granted the achievement (thus we could not add it to our screenshot, as we did for some).

of course you ask yourself "was this kill legit at all, or were we victims of the bug that setting the difficulty right was being ignored ?)

shortly after that, we did got the title for the speed-run but still no achievement for the kill, at least then we were sure the soa kill must have been legit.

the only reason I mentioned that is, that BW has a lot to do with systems currently in game before adding timestamps.

so how do you prove certain things in the current state of the game if you cannot be 100% sure yourself ;-)

you are right. I totally like how clean the site is and it's easy to use as well.

It was fun putting all the information on the kills up there and see how everything turns out.

We're glad you enjoyed it and we thank you for your support! There is definitely more to come and if you have any suggestions or features you would like to see please let us know!

so how do you prove certain things in the current state of the game if you cannot be 100% sure yourself ;-)

Without argument, this is the trickiest part about this whole endeavor. BioWare has without a doubt made this very difficult as they have no easy in-game function that allows us to display even the most basic information within a screen shot, let alone a time stamped achievement system.

The proof ultimately lies in convincing the community that you aren't posting false information. I completely understand that the burden of proof is on you and that providing it may be challenging from time to time. Screen shots are sometimes forgotten or done incorrectly and don't provide any information, and when this occurs it's absolutely frustrating and unfortunate. Given the situation though, it's the best we can do with the resources BioWare has handed us. This system is temporary (hopefully) however, and when an API does become available that allows us to query the servers for the data directly (Wink Wink Nudge Nudge BioWare) we will definitely migrate to using that.

If you have any suggestions to how we might improve upon the sites functionality or even better ways of providing more accurate information until BioWare gets around to it, please don't hesitate to throw suggestions out there. I know words won't always reassure everyone, so if you can think of anything that would give you additional reassurance we're open to any new ideas! Being as accurate as possible is the ultimate goal and we're definitely asking the community to be honest and fair in this respect.

Oh Another Feature Request for 1.2....... :D

A penalty for Guilds who tested the Content on the PTR ;)

Haha.. Watching guilds such as Cali Killed Nox, Methodical and Silence of the Jawa's on live streams get to test this content makes my jealous side want to agree with you, in the end I don't think I could in good conscience penalize someone for helping make my experience that much better, even if they do have a slight advantage =)

Maybe a * next to their name, with a citation saying "This guild was way luckier than most of you were in getting a ticket to the big show!"

I jest... or maybe... no no.. You're all safe I promise.

Edited by SageH

Haha.. Watching guilds such as Cali Killed Nox, Methodical and Silence of the Jawa's on live streams get to test this content makes my jealous side want to agree with you, in the end I don't think I could in good conscience penalize someone for helping make my experience that much better, even if they do have a slight advantage =)

Maybe a * next to their name, with a citation saying "This guild was way luckier than most of you were in getting a ticket to the big show!"

You see the Smiley´s........

Was only a Cry to the fact that Bioware has stolen us the Fairness in 1.2.

You see the Smiley´s........

Was only a Cry to the fact that Bioware has stolen us the Fairness in 1.2.

In all seriousness that's been an issue and a debate that has raged on in games like World of Warcraft for a long time where a lot of the "top ranked" guilds are also usually the ones who have done significant PTS testing and some definitely don't see that advantage as being fair.

In the end, penalizing anyone for assisting in testing content would probably be counter-productive which is why I don't believe any ranking site dealing with WoW has implemented any such system.

As is stands, I'm not sure who will have access to testing Nightmare content or even how much time they will be given if they do have access. For many that will be the real competitive tier. By the time Nightmare is accessible to test on the PTS (if it ever is) I would hope many many MANY more people would have characters copied to the PTS but we'll see.

Consider this my desperate plea for BW to get more applicants into the PTS sooner rather than later =)

Hey i´m fine with PTR Testing within the Race, if everyone could free decide to do it or do it not. If everybody starts from 0 everything is fine, if everyone is allowed to start from 5 everything is fine and if someone decide to start from 0 instead of 5 also everything ist fine.

But to make it clear, that was not a serious Feature Request...... just only some kind of Sarcasm.

Hey i´m fine with PTR Testing within the Race, if everyone could free decide to do it or do it not.

I totally get it was sarcasm! It's almost 7am CST and I never went to bed which is probably something I should do.. so I perhaps came off more serious than I intended to lol.

And as far as the part of your post I quoted.. You are absolutely correct. The option for anyone to test would make the issue moot. Hopefully we get there soon!

I'm going to give in to my exhaustion and get a couple hours of sleep before I have to be up and moving. Have a good night.. morning.. day... whichever it is for you!

Hey guys, Timelord here, lead developer for RaidRanks. I just wanted to say thanks for all of the support and feedback we have been getting for swtor.raidranks.com. It's great to see all of the ideas and discussion flowing about.

I will be looking into which can be implemented in the short term, and what we can plan for longer term.

Short term though I'll be setting up a system where guild owners can make guild officers, who will be able to help with posting and editing kills.

I also wanted to make sure you guys knew of a couple bugs that got fixed today, and my apologies for them slipping through.

*Wild regex has been tamed, guilds can now have spaces in their names again! A pass was taken through guild names to add in those missing spaces, but if your guild name is not exactly how you want it fill out a quick bug report with the proper spacing/capitalization and we will get it changed asap.

*Guild pages have been streamlined and the difficulty and size filters have been added to it. You will now see guild statistics and kills appropriate for the difficulty and size filters you have selected. No more sifting through dozens of numbers or long lists of kills to find what you are looking for.

*Guild result lists now properly show their faction icon. No more wondering which faction a guild belongs to.

*Guild progression now properly displays. It is tied to your difficulty and size filter choices so you can really see where a guild has been focusing their efforts.

-Timelord

:)

Seriously, we wish more of you had made it in. The testing has been awesome and more players to discuss it with would be great. Next tier... manual copy process... fingers crossed.

And thanks for watching the live stream!

Anyway, I'll check our image links. Thank you for pointing that out Inzi. I used our "link to this image" shortcut from our website (I'm doing all of this from my phone) and it must be locked out ti unregistered accounts. I'll be plugging moar kills in this morning and will fix the screenshot links.

Again, thanks for this! We're really excited to use it!

great idea we really needs this, i registered my guild and some of our kills but made a mistake and everytime i wanna correct it, i get errors etc(i kinda have to click everything 2 or 3 times) is the site and because it is still beta stage ? or on my end ?

Thanks for the support guys. Glad to see so many people already hopping on board.

To add to the discussion about confirmation/dispute; since it is so hard to provide sufficient evidence of kills and achievements in this game currently the best option we felt was available to us was a "community moderated" progression website. At the moment, simply the best way to provide evidence of your kill is to get a screenshot uploaded within moments of actually getting the kill since your site also logs the time you submitted the kill. For the current tier of content that's not possible, but the community has already verified many of the world first/ top kills in threads like: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=252999 and hopefully that concept will continue going forward. We just wanted to provide a centralized platform for doing this and take the burden off of individuals. We also wanted an outlet for people to share their guilds content like screenshots and videos.

Hopefully in the future we can scrape all the info automagically and we wont have to rely on community moderation.

great idea we really needs this, i registered my guild and some of our kills but made a mistake and everytime i wanna correct it, i get errors etc(i kinda have to click everything 2 or 3 times) is the site and because it is still beta stage ? or on my end ?

Editing of kills should now be working properly, however some info is unchangeable (dates and boss, i believe). The reason being that people could cheat the confirm/dispute system by getting a random kill upranked only to later change it to a different boss or change the time to make it appear they were server/region/world first.

If you need to change a kill's time entirely you can delete the old kill and re-submit a new one in it's place.

EDIT: Sorry I just realized that you said you were getting errors when trying to edit details. Could you submit a bug report related to this issue?

Edited by The_Valkyrie

i get the "excuted but with errors" more or less just just the site background and notting more, then if i click some more times it may or may not load i just have to keep on trying then it gets there at some point.

Alright we'll take a look in to it as soon as possible. Thanks for reporting guys.

Love, love, love this.

Thanks!

In addition, Timelord is working on implementing a paging system to see those guilds beyond the top 10 in their respective categories so you don't have to search individual server lists! Date is TBD but he's pretty fast so who knows!

You completely left Nerf Dialogue off which is 2nd US and 4th World. On top of that there's no differentiation between 16m and 8m. I'm curious as to why the picking and choosing of guilds from the original thread?

Can't more than 1 kill at a time.

Edited by Cepheid

You completely left Nerf Dialogue off which is 2nd US and 4th World. On top of that there's no differentiation between 16m and 8m. I'm curious as to why the picking and choosing of guilds from the original thread?

...This is a user submitted ranking system. Nerf Dialogue has not submitted their kills yet as with a lot of guilds.

Also there is a very, very clear distinction between 16 and 8 man...They are ranked completely separately and never even compared. In fact Story Mode is never compared to Hard Mode, which is never compared to Nightmare Mode.

Edited by The_Valkyrie

...This is a user submitted ranking system. Nerf Dialogue has not submitted their kills yet as with a lot of guilds.

Also there is a very, very clear distinction between 16 and 8 man...They are ranked completely separately and never even compared. In fact Story Mode is never compared to Hard Mode, which is never compared to Nightmare Mode.

Yes, can't currently update. It's buggy and isn't accepting input currently. Clicked 16m NM and it logged a HM kill. I'll give you some time to work on it and come back later.