Kaalenarc

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As trolling as it sounds.. stop dying!

That is the purpose of this system.

If you die more then once on a Heroic you have two possible issues:

1. You are not high enough to do this quest.
  2. The group you are in or people you have selected are not good enough skill or level wise to do this quest.

Heroics like Flashpoints and Operations are more of a challenge then the general story quests so they are meant to be harder, and the result of this is higher chance of death.

If you are dying too much, then you or your team are doing something wrong be it level, tactics or game skill.

Honestly, I personally have hardly ever encountered the 10min respawn timer, but when I do I know I need to come back in a level or two to try again.

The system is fine in my opinion.

Why can't your teammates just revive you? All healers get a 100% cooldown lower on revive when they choose their AC, and there has to be at least one Scoundrel, Sorc, or Merc in your group.

From the sounds of it, everyone released together. That's not terribly efficient. ;)

What do you mean "released together"?

He means they all burnt their cooldown on medical probe instead of taking it in turns and then getting player resurrected.

For example...

On the first death the healer uses his medical probe and then rezzes the other 3 players.

On the second death player two uses his medical probe, rezzes the healer who then rezzes the other 2 players.

On the third death player three uses his medical probe, rezzes the healer who then rezzes the other 2 players.

On the fourth death player four uses his medical probe, rezzes the healer who then rezzes the other 2 players.

On the fifth death you are back round to the healer and the cycle starts again.

That's the idea anyway, though it isnt always practical depending on where people die relative to mobs and res range versus aggro range for getting people back up.

They already dumbed down the difficulty of mobs across the game, including flashpoints. A lobotomized monkey could play this game with little or no error. If you are getting a ten minute timer and in a group a level or gear check is in order.

If you are solo, see my first two comments and reconsider what you are doing. You are obviously in over your head and need a level/gear check, especially for your companions. That said, it is very possible to do a 2-Man Heroic with the right, exceptionally geared companion.

Edited by Damon_Mott

rev times are fine, Either get better gear, level more, learn to player, drop the awful player/s from group or just accept the fact that dieing a few time means you will have to run back!

This game is already in carebear mode far as I'm concerned no need to make it even easier.

Edited by deags

Even so - thats often quite a run, or ride away - particularly if youre 3/4 of the way through a Heroic -4 zone. So again, Ill ask - what is the reason for such a lengthy downtime? I cant think of a gameplay based reason for one - can you? Ive played a lot of MMOs and Ive never seen that kind of design choice before. Did I miss something?

All MMO's have some mechanic in-place to make death undesirable. If you think TOR is extreme, you obviously haven't been playing MMO's for long.

EverQuest required you to run back from your bindpoint (which might be on a different continent) to retrieve your body. And, unless your gear was soulbound, it stayed on your body - so if you couldn't get back to it, it was gone. And you lost XP when you died, which could actually de-level you. That was a bit extreme.

Seems like every new MMO I play, the pain of death is decreased.

In TOR, everyone has a rez ability. So you don't even have to have a dedicated healer around to get you back on your feet.

Yes, if you die a lot then the rez timer can get a bit long... But if you release to the nearest medcenter it re-sets that timer. And there are medcenters all over. You probably won't be running all the way from your bindpoint. And if you have to re-enter a flashpoint you'll frequently be taken to the last boss you killed, rather than the actual start of the instance.

If you were waiting 10 minutes to stand back up, you were doing it wrong. You could certainly have run back from the nearest medcenter in less than 10 minutes.

The reason for increasing times in self rez at the spot is likely this:

It prevents you from soloing content meant for groups by killing off 1 or 2 mobs at a time and then dieing, self rezzing, then finishing off the rest of the group and repeat.

As trolling as it sounds.. stop dying!

That is the purpose of this system.

If you die more then once on a Heroic you have two possible issues:

1. You are not high enough to do this quest.
  2. The group you are in or people you have selected are not good enough skill or level wise to do this quest.

Heroics like Flashpoints and Operations are more of a challenge then the general story quests so they are meant to be harder, and the result of this is higher chance of death.

If you are dying too much then you or your team are doing something wrong be it level, tactics or game skill.

Honestly, I personally have hardly ever encountered the 10min respawn timer, but when I do I know I need to come back in a level or two to try again.

The system is fine in my opinion.

Agreed, I have found my self just rage questing just so I can level up as fast as I can. If you find yourself dying alot, most likely

1. You may have bad gear at which you need to update.

2. You don't have a balanced group of healers for the heroics (e.g. healer/tank/dps)

Always be sure your gear level matches ~3 levels with your character level. If you're low level, try investing on stims for your character. Having that added endurance or strength on your character really makes a difference.

He means they all burnt their cooldown on medical probe instead of taking it in turns and then getting player resurrected.

For example...

On the first death the healer uses his medical probe and then rezzes the other 3 players.

On the second death player two uses his medical probe, rezzes the healer who then rezzes the other 2 players.

On the third death player three uses his medical probe, rezzes the healer who then rezzes the other 2 players.

On the fourth death player four uses his medical probe, rezzes the healer who then rezzes the other 2 players.

On the fifth death you are back round to the healer and the cycle starts again.

That's the idea anyway, though it isnt always practical depending on where people die relative to mobs and res range versus aggro range for getting people back up.

^ This!

Every player can rez at least one other player. For non-healers, there's a somewhat lengthy cooldown after you use it, but for healers, there isn't. Therefore, always rez the healer first. If you don't have any healers, then that's your problem right there.

Well I actaully dont die all that often - In the Heroic-4 instance we had a newer player who accidentally agroed a second group of mobs and that proved to be more than we could handle. A short time later a wandering mob came up behind him. Both times the content was stuff we could handle - just unfortunate circumstances that caused a couple wipes. But as we sat there with a ten min penalty - it seemed like a waste of time.

Someone noted above its to prevent suicide runs - that makes a LOT more sense

Accidents happen. But with the above advice, your 4-man group could wipe 7 or more times and still not get the 10-minute timer. Even if you're in a 2-man group, you still have at least 4 wipes before you hit the wall. If you're wiping that many times, then go back to the med droid and go through it again to get more XP, or try something else.

IMO, actually waiting the 10 minutes out is almost never worth it, especially when you're in a party.

Even so - thats often quite a run, or ride away - particularly if youre 3/4 of the way through a Heroic -4 zone. So again, Ill ask - what is the reason for such a lengthy downtime? I cant think of a gameplay based reason for one - can you? Ive played a lot of MMOs and Ive never seen that kind of design choice before. Did I miss something?

If you're dying so often that you're hitting that revive level.... either the instance is too hard for you or you're doing something really, really, wrong.

There's a very strong gameplay reason -- to prevent people from using kamikaze tactics to win fights they're not the right level for. This prevents, "Everyone take out enemy 1, we wipe, we rez, now we take enemy 2, we wipe, we rez, now we take enemy 3, OK, the first cluster of enemies is gone, move on to the next."

Yep. You missed experience point loss, deleveling and whole bunch of other stuff in prior MMO's.

Longer revive-at-death times are the game's way of telling you to stop doing something that kills you so often- especially since repeated deaths can and frequently do break gear, making whatever you're trying even tougher.

Go to the nearest medcenter, repair, and think about what you're doing. If you're up to 10 minutes (or worse) already, you've likely seriously damaged your gear and risk having pieces fail completely. It also prevents people from forcing themselves through areas by death/revive/death cycles that they shouldn't to begin with.

Go play an old NES game, where you get a couple lives to beat the ENTIRE game with, if you run out of live (die 3 times) you get to restart the ENTIRE game... pansies lol:D

I'm still waiting for the Battletoads MMO. I called Gamestop to ask about it, for some reason they were not amused...

Well perhaps you find it boring with 10 min cooldown from the 3rd death. But consider WOW death penalty where you have to spirit walk from the nearest bind point to where you died then you had to respawn close to it and then pickup your body.

And you would get a stat reduction every time you died so at one point with serial death you would be unable to fight for a while. And still this is considered lenient death penaltys.

Eve is another MMO i played alot , there if you died , then the ship you flew and all the gear and cargo is either lost or spoils to the killer. And it would probably take 20 min to find a new ship and equip it. Unless you had a reserve. Fun game but it realy sucked to die.

That being said im not advocating harsher death penalties. Just reminding you all for MMO it doesnt come anymore EZmode.

I hear in the next game (vampire rpg) from the EVE creators there will be ways to die that permanently deletes that character. Now that i think would be to hardcore for me too.

people like the OP are why this game just gets worse and worse.
People like the OP are why MMOs are getting worse and worse. Its hard to believe that the only true hardcore games were some of the first ever, and its only got easier and easier ever since.

10 minute wait time AFTER your 4th death, try 20 minute naked corpse runs or people being able to loot your corpse while you are dead so you come back to find half your gear gone.

Edited by SithEater