[Guide-Video] Shinarika 9 and Introduction to 23/1/17 and 13/28 "Arika" Hybrid

Xinika

Youtube:

Watchmen

The Corsair

Jedi Shadow PvP

Ninth entry to the Shinarika PvP series that takes a whole new route. There are no standard 31/x/x specs in this video, only hybrids. Combining the aspects of Tutorial videos with Entertainment, the very video itself is a hybrid. Hope you enjoy and find the material useful. Stay tuned!

00:19-00:36 : 23/1/17 Introduction and Info

00:38-00:55 : 0/13/28 Introduction and Info

01:19-01:21 : Example 23/1/17 Spec

01:22-01:25 : Example 0/13/28 Spec

01:25-01:35 : 23/1/17 and 0/13/28 Rotations

Produced by PSI.

Edited by Shinarika.

Filmed by Shinarika.

0/13/28 "Arika": http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601focRrrorcZhGbR.2

23/1/17 "KC-Balance Hybrid": http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601f0cRrMZoZrfMozrsk.2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23/1/17

This is an awesome spec and probably the one I am going to use for rateds. This or my own personal 13/28 Balance-Infil hybrid. Now this spec is awesome. Think of it as a more mobile Kinetic. You have the defensives of KC, but you have more mobility and burst damage. You also get insta-force lift.

The trade off is TK and Slow time. Both, of which, are excellent abilities on their own, but it is a fair trade. This spec is very supportive to the team and can pump some good burst damage. I highly recommend it to anyone who's serious about rated play.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0/13/28

Messing around trying to find new ways to entertain myself with my Shadow... I suddenly came up with this spec out of nowhere. I remember seeing it on "paper" and thinking "Oh gosh, that spec would perform awesome if I think it works the way I want it to!". Well, what a surprise... this spec more than fulfilled my expectations, it surpassed it.

This is a very high-damage dealing spec that features a multiple arsenal of attacks to keep you going and keep you going strong. FiB and Breach, both high internal damage (Yes, this spec utilizes Shadow Technique!) along with the SS proc... this spec is just a pure armour-penetrating build.

On top of the high and consistent damage, the force management is great! That's the other part that surprised me. You have so many buttons to press yet you're not force starved entirely. Granted, you must monitor your force like you would as any spec. I'm still working around getting used to this spec but I absolutely love it. The burst literally requires little to no setup and you have the ability to just keep going.

Edited by Xinika

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always great video......youtube comment below

shini... for the roation on the 13/28 wouldnt it be better force management to ds x2 to get circling shadows proc then project fib, fb?

It's fine, but the good part about the 13/28 build is that you have flexibility. It doesn't hurt by using a project w/o the 2xc circling shadows.

Hey Shin. Love your videos as always. As usual I have a few questions for you:

On the 0/13/28 build do you miss not having access to Sever Force? I have been a (very) long time Kinetic player who has been fooling around with Balance, and I have to say that the ability to engage from 30m away and the utility the spec has when dealing with any melee and medium-range classes is a big benefit of the spec. It's hard to get a "feel" for a spec from just a video, so I'd like your take on it.

Also on the 0/13/28 spec, is there are reason you decided to take Force Suppression, Sharpened Mind, and Mental Scarring? I don't see where that spec is using much in the way of DoT effects (Shadow Technique over Force Technique, no Mind Crush proc, no Sever Force), so that seems like a lot of points wasted just to get the 30% critical damage boost on Force in Balance, which is itself a 15-second cooldown.

I took a page out of your playbook for my Kinetic spec and pulled a point out of Upheaval to take a single point in Infiltration Tactics... Quite an improvement. The ability to break out a "big hit" like that at the end of a TK Throw has caught several healers off-guard.

Unconfirmed rumor is that they have a buff planned for Shadow Balance in 1.3 since it hardly sees any use in PvP or PvE. It's nice to see some out-of-the-box thinking on the spec to make it viable in the meantime.

There have only been 2 cases where I wish I could change AC. One was when I accidentally clicked Guardian instead of Sentinel. THe other was when I realized I had no shadow or its counterpart.

*sigh*

Looks like fun, pretty sure I would enjoy it more than relevelling a sorceror duplicate.

Hey Shin. Love your videos as always. As usual I have a few questions for you:

On the 0/13/28 build do you miss not having access to Sever Force? I have been a (very) long time Kinetic player who has been fooling around with Balance, and I have to say that the ability to engage from 30m away and the utility the spec has when dealing with any melee and medium-range classes is a big benefit of the spec. It's hard to get a "feel" for a spec from just a video, so I'd like your take on it.

No, I don't. The build has high uptime and consistent burst. It does not play like Balance. There's just a flow of having many buttons to press, all the time.

Also on the 0/13/28 spec, is there are reason you decided to take Force Suppression, Sharpened Mind, and Mental Scarring? I don't see where that spec is using much in the way of DoT effects (Shadow Technique over Force Technique, no Mind Crush proc, no Sever Force), so that seems like a lot of points wasted just to get the 30% critical damage boost on Force in Balance, which is itself a 15-second cooldown.

It's worth it, trust me. There's no other way to really play the build without high internal damage.

I took a page out of your playbook for my Kinetic spec and pulled a point out of Upheaval to take a single point in Infiltration Tactics... Quite an improvement. The ability to break out a "big hit" like that at the end of a TK Throw has caught several healers off-guard.

Indeed, most people don't see that burst coming from a KC.

Unconfirmed rumor is that they have a buff planned for Shadow Balance in 1.3 since it hardly sees any use in PvP or PvE. It's nice to see some out-of-the-box thinking on the spec to make it viable in the meantime.

Where did you hear this?

Edited by Xinika

Where did you hear this?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Alright, tired cliches aside, one of my close friends met with several developers at PAX East and discussed his feelings that Balance was a "Sage spec" and somewhat inferior to Infiltration for PvP and dramatically inferior to Infiltration for PvE.

Basically the conversation was "we know about the problem, and we would like to work on the spec, but Kinetic and Infiltration are more important for 1.2." They went on to imply that it's on the radar for the next major patch, but they gave no details.

Here's to hoping. I feel that it is a compelling and unique "melee caster" spec that deserves attention.

Edited by Tiresias

just wanted to say thanks for youre videos (and sub to this thread lol). ive been trying to play this 50 shadow but been having issues. basically i dont feel that i can dps anywhere near as well as my GS could even before they buffed it. If it wasnt for the extra objective stuff i can do with stealth, i would have probably dropped it already lol. hopefully one of these specs or the balance spec will do it for me better than inf.

thanks again for the vids.

Edited by ForsakenKing

Youtube:

Watchmen

The Corsair

Jedi Shadow PvP

Ninth entry to the Shinarika PvP series that takes a whole new route. There are no standard 31/x/x specs in this video, only hybrids. Combining the aspects of Tutorial videos with Entertainment, the very video itself is a hybrid. Hope you enjoy and find the material useful. Stay tuned!

Produced by PSI.

Edited by Shinarika.

Filmed by Shinarika.

0/13/28 "Arika": http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601ZhGbRZfbcRrrodc.1

23/1/17 "KC-Balance Hybrid": http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rfMozrskZoZf0cRrM.1

23/1/17

This is an awesome spec and probably the one I am going to use for rateds. This or my own personal 13/28 Balance-Infil hybrid. Now this spec is awesome. Think of it as a more mobile Kinetic. You have the defensives of KC, but you have more mobility and burst damage. You also get insta-force lift.

The trade off is TK and Slow time. Both, of which, are excellent abilities on their own, but it is a fair trade. This spec is very supportive to the team and can pump some good burst damage. I highly recommend it to anyone who's serious about rated play.

0/13/28

Messing around trying to find new ways to entertain myself with my Shadow... I suddenly came up with this spec out of nowhere. I remember seeing it on "paper" and thinking "Oh gosh, that spec would perform awesome if I think it works the way I want it to!". Well, what a surprise... this spec more than fulfilled my expectations, it surpassed it.

This is a very high-damage dealing spec that features a multiple arsenal of attacks to keep you going and keep you going strong. FiB and Breach, both high internal damage (Yes, this spec utilizes Shadow Technique!) along with the SS proc... this spec is just a pure armour-penetrating build.

On top of the high and consistent damage, the force management is great! That's the other part that surprised me. You have so many buttons to press yet you're not force starved entirely. Granted, you must monitor your force like you would as any spec. I'm still working around getting used to this spec but I absolutely love it. The burst literally requires little to no setup and you have the ability to just keep going.

I'm liking the Akira build, I think i'll try that out for a week or so and see how things go.

Are there any times in your war zones that you do not have the red expertise buff? Because that's all I see in this montage. Expertise + Power Relic = hitting some poor sap for 5k with project and 6k spinning strike. I'm not a big fan of watching numbers on the screen. Personally I would be much more entertained if you showed how the 23.1.18 can take a people out of the fight without having to pop PVP adrenal and relics. Not really trying to hate, just not feeling as though this paints an accurate picture.

Do you use a shield with 23.1.18 ?

Edited by Hethroin

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Alright, tired cliches aside, one of my close friends met with several developers at PAX East and discussed his feelings that Balance was a "Sage spec" and somewhat inferior to Infiltration for PvP and dramatically inferior to Infiltration for PvE.

Basically the conversation was "we know about the problem, and we would like to work on the spec, but Kinetic and Infiltration are more important for 1.2." They went on to imply that it's on the radar for the next major patch, but they gave no details.

Here's to hoping. I feel that it is a compelling and unique "melee caster" spec that deserves attention.

Well, it's at least half-way comforting that infiltration hasn't slipped their minds. That spec could use more help than any of the other two right now.

The 13/28 build is very interesting, doing some good dmg with it. It takes a little getting used to since i've been 23/1/17 for months now haha. Did you get the name from the anime..."Akira" its kinda old, but awesome!

Nope, it is part of her name backwards.

I can see the potential in the 13/28 build. Seems like a constant flow of damage. A little clunkier tho. Mainly cuz of having to use the aoe effect of FIB.

I'm not seeing as big of numbers as full infiltration tho. got a 6.4 crit on full infiltration today. Highest ive seen in this spec is 5405.

2 questions: 1 is has anyone dummy parsed this against full infiltraition or balance yet? Feels like it could be a viable DPS build for PVE.

2nd I havent played good teams today yet so havent been pressured. I'm guessing use Resilience more often for damage reduction and kite and los for defense purposes?

Definetly fun spec. Hit 3 people with 4500 FIB that was awesome.

Oh wow. Last game only 8 mins of Voidstar and did 355k. If it was a full match i could of pushed maybe 700! Holy cow!

Edited by Pizzel

The 13/28 build is very interesting, doing some good dmg with it. It takes a little getting used to since i've been 23/1/17 for months now haha. Did you get the name from the anime..."Akira" its kinda old, but awesome!

ShinARIKA

Original, right? :p

I can see the potential in the 13/28 build. Seems like a constant flow of damage. A little clunkier tho. Mainly cuz of having to use the aoe effect of FIB.

I'm not seeing as big of numbers as full infiltration tho. got a 6.4 crit on full infiltration today. Highest ive seen in this spec is 5405.

2 questions: 1 is has anyone dummy parsed this against full infiltraition or balance yet? Feels like it could be a viable DPS build for PVE.

2nd I havent played good teams today yet so havent been pressured. I'm guessing use Resilience more often for damage reduction and kite and los for defense purposes?

Definetly fun spec. Hit 3 people with 4500 FIB that was awesome.

Oh wow. Last game only 8 mins of Voidstar and did 355k. If it was a full match i could of pushed maybe 700! Holy cow!

It's not supposed to hit as hard as infil. It's supposed to hit hard and have more hard-hitting buttons to press. Not larger numbers perse, but more buttons than just CS>Project>Breach>SS. Here, you have FiB>Project>Breach>SS>DS. So the makeup for not doing a little more damage with project or breach is a whole new other ability. Also the force management is much more stable.

Also, Kiting is a universal thing, regardless of spec.

ShinARIKA

Original, right? :p

It's not supposed to hit as hard as infil. It's supposed to hit hard and have more hard-hitting buttons to press. Not larger numbers perse, but more buttons than just CS>Project>Breach>SS. Here, you have FiB>Project>Breach>SS>DS. So the makeup for not doing a little more damage with project or breach is a whole new other ability. Also the force management is much more stable.

Also, Kiting is a universal thing, regardless of spec.

Yea im seeing that more and more. Very stable damage with no ramp up. Just constant awesome damage. I know all about kiting. I have a BM sage as well. I see marauders and the running /kiting begins. LOL

Yea im seeing that more and more. Very stable damage with no ramp up. Just constant awesome damage. I know all about kiting. I have a BM sage as well. I see marauders and the running /kiting begins. LOL

Yah that's what I forgot to mention. The best part about 13/28 is NO setup for the burst!

Yah that's what I forgot to mention. The best part about 13/28 is NO setup for the burst!

I think u mentioned it somewhere. That's what made me wanna try it. If I wasn't at work I would parse this spec because I think it could be a contender for a good raid build for dps. So consistent and good on force.

I'll probably try the Kinetic hybrid on my day off. I had been thinkin of tryin a kinetic hybrid lately.

Ok, wish me luck! Ive been full balance since Early Access and resisted the temptation of early hybrid specs followed by the FotM Kinetic - but this Arika build looks awesome! I think I'm going to do it and see how it is.

It will no doubt be tough missing out on sever force, but let's hope the burst makes up for it :p

TY as always Shinarika, I am sure almost all of the good shadow's who play this game owe some of their success to you.

Very very nice videos.

Sorry for my english but is it possible to explain the rotation for

Both builds ?

I try to understand but i 'm a noob and i like original builds.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Youtube:

Watchmen

The Corsair

Jedi Shadow PvP

Produced by PSI.

Edited by Shinarika.

Filmed by Shinarika.

0/13/28 "Arika": http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601ZhGbRZfbcRrrodc.1

23/1/17 "KC-Balance Hybrid": http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#601rfMozrskZoZf0cRrM.1

23/1/17

0/13/28

I'm sold, will you marry me? ;)