EU books

Maxtofunator

As a long time fan of star wars, tv shows, movies, and games, and finally finding a bit of free time, summer break of college, I was hoping to find some time to read in the expanded universe, and was looking for some suggestions on some good books to start off reading.

I would prefer to start reading away from the main characters of the 6 movies, and would prefer a bit of jedi action to start off, though if there are some really good sith books or smuggler/bounty hunter books I will check them out as well.

Thank you in advance

Absolutely check out the Darth Bane trilogy. The first one in particular is excellent. If you have the whole summer, you could read those, then finish with Darth Plagueis, which is pretty much the fourth book in that series, imo.

If you're interested in the Old Republic era, I'd recommend checking out some graphic novels actually. The KotOR series is a lot of fun, Dawn of the Jedi has been pretty interesting so far, and the trades based on this game aren't bad either.

I haven't read Revan, but Fatal Alliance was not so great, and Deceived, while admittedly a decent read, didn't add much to the overall story I felt. Except to maybe explain the Deceived trailer a bit better. I'm reading Annihilation right now. 4 Chapters in and I'm enjoying it so far, so maybe it will turn the series around.

I'd recommend some post RotJ stuff that I think is pretty good, but I'm not sure how much of a point there is to reading anything in that time period, because I have a feeling a good chunk of it is going to be retconned once Episode VII comes out, unfortunately.

Like the poster above mentioned the Darth Bane trilogy is a great read.

Deceived is good book as well

The Darth Revan book was good although I didn't like how they handled Revan or the Exile

Knight Errant is another recommended read. This is based off of the comic book character Kerra Holt. In fact, a lot of the graphic novels are pretty awesome as well as the comics. I've read most of them including Knights of the Old Republic, Legacy, Dawn of the Jedi, Tales of the Jedi (one of my favorite series tbh) and a few more that actually like Dark Times that touch on the period between Ep 3 and 4

and Deceived, while admittedly a decent read, didn't add much to the overall story I felt.

*shakes head judgmentally*

I don't believe you read it, that or you weren't paying much attention. It only covers the single most important event of the entire war...

Waaay more importantly though it fleshes out one of the greatest sith characters and probably the greatest scoundrel character of the entire franchise (Yes, he's way more interesting then Han Solo).

Darth Plagueis is my favorite book in the entire catalog but its tied to the movies so I recommended my second favorite book instead.

I don't believe you read it, that or you weren't paying much attention. It only covers the single most important event of the entire war...

Waaay more importantly though it fleshes out one of the greatest sith characters and probably the greatest scoundrel character of the entire franchise (Yes, he's way more interesting then Han Solo).

Well, I didn't say it added nothing to the story. In terms of Malgus, what do we really learn? He has a vision for the Empire, which we learn well enough in the game from the Ilum flashpoints.

He can never love again, which doesn't add much to the story, except to flesh him out as a character and explain that the Twi'lek in the decieved trailer isn't Vette :)

I also have to disagree with you about Malgus being one of the greatest Sith characters.

He worked tirelessly behind the scenes for a decade to accomplish, what, being Emperor for a day and getting killed?

Score.

As for Zeerid, I'm not saying he's a bad character, but I don't think it's fair to say he's more interesting than Han Solo. Unless there's some more information on him than what we learn in Deceived, in which case I plead ignorance.

I'll say it again, Deceived is not a bad book. In fact it's a good book. But everybody knows the deal with Malgus, and everybody has a basic understanding of the events surrounding the Treaty/Sacking of Coruscant. How much more really needs to be said about it. Read Deceived and you'll find out: Not much.

I would like to actually thank you guys, I went ahead and picked up deception, which was also thanks to a friends recommendation as well, and will probably go check out Darth Bane next, after I get through the set of these. You guys are helpful, shows how a forum SHOULD work, now I am afraid to go back to the pvp forum=]

I would like to actually thank you guys, I went ahead and picked up deception, which was also thanks to a friends recommendation as well, and will probably go check out Darth Bane next, after I get through the set of these. You guys are helpful, shows how a forum SHOULD work, now I am afraid to go back to the pvp forum=]
Lol, don't! Oh and like others have said I would recommend Darth Bane and Darth Plagueis, both excellent, excellent reads. And Darth Bane is a trilogy! What's not to love? Edited by Beniboybling

I'm glad I read books for a better reason then to accumulate historical information of a fictional universe. :rolleyes:

*sigh* I thought we were having a decent conversation...should have realized we were just trying to take cheap shots at each other's reading habits. Pretty sure I said multiple times that I thought Deceived was a good book. Allow me to clarify one more time: I liked Deceived, it was a well written and enjoyable book.

Some good EU books: Couscant nights trilogy. X-wing Series. Bane series. I Jedi. Shadows of the Empire. Truce at Bakura. Clone Commando Series.

Forgot about the Republic Commando series. Also quite good, and even though it's in that 1-6 era, it doesn't touch much on the main characters from the movies. seconded

I'm glad I read books for a better reason then to accumulate historical information of a fictional universe. :rolleyes:

/snark on

So let me get this straight...you read nothing but non-fiction then right? Because if you read ANY fiction whatsoever, then you too are only "accumulating historical information of a fictional universe." Yes, that fictional universe might be based in reality, but it is still fictional.

/snark off

And by the way, while I do read a significant amount of Star Wars EU, it is only a fraction of what I read in general. Partial list: Silva, Cussler, Follett, Grisham, Clancy, and Rollins (notice that NONE of them are sci-fi/fantasy).

Getting back on topic, I agree with all the suggestions already posted. I am currently reading the Bane trilogy and loving every second of it.

Edited by psandak

*sigh* I thought we were having a decent conversation...should have realized we were just trying to take cheap shots at each other's reading habits. Pretty sure I said multiple times that I thought Deceived was a good book. Allow me to clarify one more time: I liked Deceived, it was a well written and enjoyable book.

I don't think it was a cheap shot (though it was written half jokingly which should be obvious) to point out the book has merits despite not serving the purpose of a dense source of lore. It really wasn't clear that you thought it was good since you were going out of the way to be critical of it, appearing to be trying to convince people not to consider my suggestion. *shrug*

/snark on

So let me get this straight...you read nothing but non-fiction then right? Because if you read ANY fiction whatsoever, then you too are only "accumulating historical information of a fictional universe." Yes, that fictional universe might be based in reality, but it is still fictional.

/snark off

Just because it is something that happens doesn't make it the de facto reason one reads a fictional novel. You know, theres things like interesting characters, ethical struggles, engaging mystery, or something as simple as absorbing a setting you like, etc, theres a lot of reason to read a book (or watch a movie or whatever) other then simply trying to fill in a more detailed picture of a fiction's timeline.

Deceived won't fill in very much detail of the overall story. Except for the first few chapters its primarily a story on a more personal level only concerned with a few characters, only one of which plays any larger role in other media. Doesn't make it a bad book, don't know why it even needs to be said. That's all I'm saying.

It really wasn't clear that you thought it was good since you were going out of the way to be critical of it, appearing to be trying to convince people not to consider my suggestion. *shrug*

Lol. OK, just...ok

I haven't read Revan, but Fatal Alliance was not so great, and Deceived, while admittedly a decent read, didn't add much to the overall story I felt. Except to maybe explain the Deceived trailer a bit better. I'm reading Annihilation right now. 4 Chapters in and I'm enjoying it so far, so maybe it will turn the series around.

Here...look, you even quoted me saying that later on:

and Deceived, while admittedly a decent read, didn't add much to the overall story I felt.

Darth Plagueis is my favorite book in the entire catalog but its tied to the movies so I recommended my second favorite book instead.

And then,

I'll say it again, Deceived is not a bad book. In fact it's a good book.

and finally,

I'm sorry to have confused you...

Had enough of this battle though.

Bottom line: I enjoyed Deceived, and I believe others will too if they read it.

Forgot about the Republic Commando series. Also quite good, and even though it's in that 1-6 era, it doesn't touch much on the main characters from the movies. seconded

I was crushed when they cancelled the Commando series... My favorite book series by far until I learned there wouldn't be an ending. :/

I was crushed when they cancelled the Commando series... My favorite book series by far until I learned there wouldn't be an ending. :/

I agree with that. It's because KT had a serious falling out on how the Mandos were being done. People back and forth calling Mandos mary-sue, then jedi and blah blah blah.

Honestly all it did, was rob us fans of the commando series of books a great series and absolutely no closure on the gap from right after order 66 to the rest of the EU. Hell it would of been intersting to see KT write about Mandalorians and the eventual guerilla war against the Empire.

Cryin damn shame.