Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Unfortunately we won't know when the next server transfers are allowed. I hope they appear within a month instead of waiting multiple months.

True although a month i could live with cause i have waited longer then that for this to even start. I just ain't gonna wait 6 months or so just to do it So lets just cross our fingers and hope BW will be able to rush to allow some of the other phases. Cause i know the inital phase will take awhile although with how limited it will be i think it won't be nearly as many transfers til u are able to transfer to the server of your choice not just the ones they say u can transfer to

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the only free transfers we know of. There might be more, but Bioware has stated it may or may not cost money. Please quote somewhere stating that Bioware said other "phases" of transfers will be free. You intentionally spun the wording of that.

Highlighted the important parts for you.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-transfer-server-populations-and-you

"Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players. Therefore, we made the decision to strictly limit the initial phase of the Character Transfer Service."

"This process will be gradual and staged over time."

He's not arguing with you. He's correcting your mistake.

Quote: Originally Posted by thendavesaid

So, I created a new character on a new server after I realized my original server was dead. Am I ever going to be able to consolidate my characters from both servers onto one server/legacy?

Quote: Originally Posted by cipher_nemo

According to Bioware, no. Awesome "server transfers", huh?

That is misinformation and simply not true. The question was will he ever be able to consolidate his characters onto one server. The answer is yes.

Someone sane on the general forums? :eek: Thanks for the support :D

I was wondering something today. BW has said that origin servers won't be required to move to destination servers. Will BW keep the nearly-empty origin servers open as-is after the transfers are all finished? or will they be merged with other nearly-empty origin servers after some time?

"Our aim is to maximize server population across the entire service and to enhance the gameplay experience for our players. Therefore, we made the decision to strictly limit the initial phase of the Character Transfer Service."

Nothing says any other "phase" will be "free". You're spreading that rumor around that other phases are free.

You're intentionally glossing over a very important part of the blog post.

We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.

It makes it pretty clear right there that when full option character transfers arrive, they *might* require a fee. I'm sure thats not set in stone, but you're really trying hard to convey the appearance that ALL phases will for sure be free, which simply isn't true.

Edited by Celebrus

It makes it pretty clear right there that when full option character transfers arrive, they *might* require a fee. I'm sure thats not set in stone, but you're really trying hard to convey the appearance that ALL phases will be free, which simply isn't true.

Thank you. That's the same message I'm trying to relay.

They could very easily fix the scattered issue by allowing you to have 2 free transfers. Most people found a new home. I could roll from Naddist rebels to Whatever PVP server. Then roll from Fatman to whatever pvp server. Problem solved. Sure I had a lvl 12 someplace.

The point is biowares stated message was create a character on a more populated server. Now they designed a character transfer process that doesn't actually let you transfer your character where you want.

Which as others have said makes no sense. If I have a level 50 on any server. If I move characters to that server I am not taking an additional slot. It takes most people playing conservatively 1-2 months to get from 1-50. I can do 1-10 in about a nights gameplay. 10-25 in about 1 week and another 2-4 weeks to go from 25-50 depending on how much effort I want to put in, which frankly isn't much. I know some can do it faster and others it takes longer, but I figure that is about average. So if someone has been playing on a server for about 1 month or longer why cannot they bring over characters?

Fine.

So why cannot I bring my 50 from full server fatman which I know has zero shot of being included to whatever character dumping ground they create? This system is dumb, just like there last attempt to control population.

If I cannot merge my 50's together someplace what is the freaking point?

Nothing says any other "phase" will be "free". You're spreading that rumor around that other phases are free.

Do you really think they're going to go from highly restrictive free transfers directly into unrestricted paid transfers? With no changes to the service over time? Really?

All indications are pointing to multiple phases for the Character Transfer Service and only the last phase will be paid.

The point is biowares stated message was create a character on a more populated server.

What???

Could you do me a favor and provide a source for that?

I don't remember them ever advising people to give up and re-roll, that was the community, not Bioware.

Do you really think they're going to go from highly restrictive free transfers directly into unrestricted paid transfers? With no changes to the service over time? Really?

All indications are pointing to multiple phases for the Character Transfer Service and only the last phase will be paid.

The only indiciations at the moment are that the restricted transfers will be free.

The end of their post indicates that unrestricted transfers MAY require a fee.

Seriously. Read the post you keep linking in it's entirety. I honestly cannot fathom where you are pulling the idea that unrestricted transfers will for sure be free.

Edited by Celebrus

You're intentionally glossing over a very important part of the blog post. It makes it pretty clear right there that when full option character transfers arrive, they *might* require a fee. I'm sure thats not set in stone, but you're really trying hard to convey the appearance that ALL phases will for sure be free, which simply isn't true.

I never said ALL phases of the Character Transfer Service would be free. I said only the last phase will be paid. :rolleyes:

Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez

There will be a full FAQ published on Tuesday to answer most of your questions, but I wanted to go ahead and answer these two.

1. Due to a variety of factors (including the naming and re-naming process after transferring characters), this was deemed to be the most efficient method in assuring that Guilds retain their Guild Banks on the new server.

2. Yes, you will have to:

Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.

Disband the Guild.

Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.

Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.

Hopefully that answers your question.

While i still think the transfer service is great I dont see how disbanding your guild would need to be done.... Cant i just pass the leadership to one of my lower toons just so I can log into that server to let people know the place we moved to?

They didn't state that. You're making assumptions and a premature conclusion. We don't know what future server transfers will be. So instead of relaying truth to others in this thread, you're making rumors. Worse, you post everything in an annoying orange font color as if you're trying to pretend you're someone you're not. Please, let the community reps words stand without your twisting them.

Why is that so hard?

I never said ALL phases of the Character Transfer Service would be free. I said only the last phase will be paid. :rolleyes:

Wrong, you spun it like this, indicating that there are multiple free phases. We don't know that...

This is only the first phase of free transfers.
Edited by cipher_nemo

What???

Could you do me a favor and provide a source for that?

I don't remember them ever advising people to give up and re-roll, that was the community, not Bioware.

Stephen Reid had this to say about the opposite problem related to que wait times and character transfer services.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-21-swtor-bioware-warns-against-creating-characters-on-high-population-servers

At this time we can only ask for your patience. Population caps are being gradually raised on these servers, but raising them too fast will create an influx of new players and perpetuate the problem. We do not expect the queues to alleviate on these servers for the foreseeable future. If you do not want to queue, you should consider playing on another server, many of which have very low or no queues.

"Character transfer is a common request for these servers. The ability to transfer your characters is being worked on, but there is no ETA on when it will be available.

"Finally, we are also aware of the issues some have experienced where they have been disconnected during a queue due to internet issues, and had to restart their queue once more. This is a high priority for our server team and we'll be deploying a fix as soon as possible."

While i still think the transfer service is great I dont see how disbanding your guild would need to be done.... Cant i just pass the leadership to one of my lower toons just so I can log into that server to let people know the place we moved to?

There will only be one server choice as a destination option.

You wont need to tell them where you moved because they will all have the same single option.

Edited by Celebrus

Character Transfer Service

First phase: Highly restricted and free

Second phase: Less restrictions and still free

Third phase: Even less restrictions and yes, still free

Final phase: Absolutely no restrictions and now a PAID service

Got it?....lol

Can you please quote/link that?

Third phase: Even less restrictions and yes, still freeFinal phase: Absolutely no restrictions and now a PAID service

Got it?....lol

They have never indicated that restrictions will be reduced before the paid transfer service arrives. Never. Not once. If they did, please provide me a source where they clearly make that comment, not a sentence that you drew a false conclusion from, please.

We don't get it, because thats not what they've said. When paid transfers arrive, options will open up, until then, don't expect to consolidate your characters if you're a re-roller. It's as simple as that.

You can quote me on that when you see I'm right. ;)

No thank you, and please stop spreading rumors. Bioware said nothing of this. Keep doing that I will mark your threads as trolling in the future because it's damaging and misleading to the community.

They have never indicated that restrictions will be reduced before the paid transfer service arrives. Never. Not once. If they did, please provide me a source where they clearly make that comment, not a sentence that you drew a false conclusion from, please.

We don't get it, because thats not what they've said. When paid transfers arrive, options will open up, until then, don't expect to consolidate your characters if you're a re-roller. It's as simple as that.

If you honestly don't think they will remove some of the restrictions before it becomes a paid service then I don't know what to tell you. :(

That's why I tend to use italics. In fact, I'm fairly certain that is the point of italics.

Anyway, you are more than happy to come here and give out (mis)information but seem unwilling to do something as simple as quote the origin of this (mis)information. Why is that?

There is potential for several steps within the first free phase, depending on how fast the destination server fills up:

Depending on the number of characters transferred, the destination and origin servers eligible for transfer may be altered during the process.

Especially in the case of the RP-PvP servers. If the consolidation of those servers do not adequately fill up those servers, then it more origin servers will be added, either other RP servers or PvP servers or both.

Third phase: Even less restrictions and yes, still free

Final phase: Absolutely no restrictions and now a PAID service

Got it?....lol

How about only the first phase will be free? At least, that's the impression I got from probably the same info you read (and twisted :p ).

That is why I asked this question. So I cannot move to where I play now probably can I bring together the accout.

Can I move multiple server toons on different servers to 1 new destination?

I mean It cannot be that hard. Its just 2 transfers. The server types are the same.

In the future, yes. Fatman is not likely to be a destination for the free transfers, but once free transfers are done and they open up transfers for a fee, the answer is very likely.