The Contraband Slot Machine

EricMusco

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, thanks for the response. It's nice to see that the drop rate for the purple mats will be adjusted. They don't need to be removed but a drop rate consistent on what you get from running hour long gathering missions is needed. I guess that means the drop rate for the rep items is exactly what they wanted, that's pretty cool. Here is to hoping you add more slot machines for the other rep items from other packs as well.

Now I can prepare myself for a weekend of spamming my slot machine non-stop :D

So basically you don't mind players exploiting the game and breaking the economy as long as they are buying Cartel Market packs?

Um, they just said it's NOT AN EXPLOIT though?

We gonna start calling them liars now?

Edited by Djiini

Cool, thanks for the response. It's nice to see that the drop rate for the purple mats will be adjusted. They don't need to be removed but a drop rate consistent on what you get from running hour long gathering missions is needed. I guess that means the drop rate for the rep items is exactly what they wanted, that's pretty cool. Here is to hoping you add more slot machines for the other rep items from other packs as well.

Now I can prepare myself for a weekend of spamming my slot machine non-stop :D

They have not agreed to reduce anything yet ;)

They have not agreed to reduce anything yet ;)

Well when he said they are going to look at the drop rate and adjust them accordingly, I assume that means they will be reduced and not increased. It appears for the weekend at least we are good to go but the drop rate is going to come down. At least he said drop rate and not complete removal.

Hey folks,

We know that there have been many questions about the Contraband Slot Machine and its intent. Here are a few notes on it:

• The Contraband Slot Machine is not bugged.
  • It is 100% not an exploit to use the Slot Machine.
  • If you feel the desire to sell access to your Stronghold, that’s totally up to you. As a reminder, do not scam people as that is against ToS.
  • We added the Slot Machine as a fun idea based on the positive feedback from the Nightlife event, so spend those credits to your heart’s content!

With that being said, we do hear the concern from many of you around the effects of the Jawa Junk’s drop rate on the economy. We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly. I will let you know once I know more. In the meantime, have fun! :rak_03:

-eric

eric, are there any plans to introduce new slot machines based on the other cartel reputations ?

So basically you don't mind players exploiting the game and breaking the economy as long as they are buying Cartel Market packs?

Obviously this was intended, he said so in his post. Breaking the economy is questionable. IF you said breaking gathering missions, that I completely agree with.

And yes, they want you to buy the packs.......they probably snorted when reading that.

Please please please: adjust the drop rates (less purple, more green). DO NOT INCREASE THE JAWA JUNK VENDOR PRICES (at least not without warning us first!)

I have a lot of Jawa Junk (from pre-slots) that i have not converted because I do not know what I will need down the line. It would be pretty infuriating to find that overnight it was reduced to, say, half it's conversion power because you chose one method to correct the slots over a diferent method.

So let me get this straight.

Bioware is going to nerf the intended drop rates on the slot machines because a vocal MINORITY are crying about how they cannot make as much money now that people who have the machines have become self sustained in obtaining mats without the need to pay the bull$hit prices many of these people put mats up for or if they so choose, can undercut and threaten their death grip on mat selling via the gtn with the most hyper overreaction ever seen regarding the swtor economy saying the slot machines are breaking it??

REALLY???

Bioware/Eric, what about the rest of us? What about those of us who use the machines for our own use or our own guild and quietly build up resources for it?

I wonder if these same QQ'ers complaining about the slot machines ever complain about the behavior of big businesses or EA themselves. Funny how when it is their in game earning potential being threatened, now they want things their way and have their market be protected just like the big businesses in the real world smashing any small threatening competitor.

Taste the irony......... :jawa_frown:

Well when he said they are going to look at the drop rate and adjust them accordingly, I assume that means they will be reduced and not increased. It appears for the weekend at least we are good to go but the drop rate is going to come down. At least he said drop rate and not complete removal.

Adjust accordingly doesn't mean they are being changed. They may look at it and decide that it's fine the way it is.

• It is 100% not an exploit to use the Slot Machine.

Someone is failing at basic reading comprehension...

The machine is working as intended, but they are going to review the junk drop rate. If it's too high, they will adjust it down.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Edited by Brewski

do not scam people as that is against ToS.

Is this a meaningless statement, or is it going to be enforced now? Because up till now anyone who has been scammed has been told "too bad". Someone takes your mats and never sends you the item they agreed to vraft in exchange? CS will tell you that's your fault for using a crafter that you didn't know was trustworthy. Ops lead converts to Master Looter right before a boss kill and steals everything? No action taken, and if you call them out on the forums YOU will be banned.

Someone is failing at basic reading comprehension...

The machine is working as intended, but they are going to review the junk drop rate. If it's too high, they will adjust it down.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

If the "Junk" drops to fast you may wanna see your Dr. :jawa_biggrin:

However if the Junk doesn't drop for 4 hours...

Edited by RiVaN_

Hey everyone! I am your friendly neighborhood merchant. I like to greet you with smiles and talk about my awesome merchandise all the while meticulously planning on how I am going to fleece you for every loving cent that you have. With this latest expansion I have cleared over 100 million. The numbers are so big, that I cannot fully keep track (especially since I spent most of it...). I worked incredibly hard to obtain EVERY needed schematic and jump into the game both feet first. So, how do I react to the so called bugged, overpowered, game breaking, doom and gloom bringing Contraband Slot Machines?!? Meh...who cares. Easy come, easy go.

While watching people on the forums, in our chat channels, and our threads go apoplectic about this change, I quietly went back through my models, did some math, made some plans, and basically found this to be a big fat bag of nothing. Now, will I immediately lose out on a ton of profit? You bet your sweet ___ I will. All my current revenue streams will be cut down as I craft everything that is being affected. Boo hoo me? Don't worry. Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a plan there is a profit.

But, but, but, they are GIVING AWAY PURPLES!?!?!?!? OMG. So...freaking....what. They are not giving them away. I have run the machines, I have seen the results, I know exactly what is being provided in the way of certs, junk, rep, blah blah blah. The purples are NOT free as many are clamoring. It takes time and boredom to generate the items. It is just cheap. Will the market fall? Sure. Is it ruined? No. Absolutely not. I jumped into my current model based on demand. Previously I was selling low end gear for cheap for 12xs. I made a killing on that too. Did I cry when that stream dried up when they took 12x away? No. I changed. I adapted. I will again. There will always be a market. There will always be a profit. You just need to adjust to the current circumstances in order to make it happen. It takes work. It takes dedication. It fundamentally takes patience.

There was a problem with this expansion. The inflation of mats was greater than in previous expansions. The normal deflation was not progressing as quickly to allow more casual players access. People like me were maintaining high prices. Sellers of mats were not budging enough preventing the market from decreasing as normal. This solves that problem to the detriment of price gougers. Now, people have access to the gear needed to begin ops. Everything that I am crafting will be replaced by normal progression through story mode ops. Now, you can gear up your toons, alts, companions, whatever to tackle BASIC content. You still have to OP etc to get the gear needed to advance. This doesn't change that. I can craft my pretty little heart out and gear up all my alts but they still are just in remedial gear for ops. What this DOES do is give more access to more people. More people means more pugs, and ops running. More pugs and ops running means more chances for me to jump in and get some REAL gear!!! So, from a gaming perspective it is a big WIN!

BUT, crafters are getting SCREWED!!!! Again, not really true. SOME crafters will take a massive hit, no doubt. Some crafters named ME will take more than a massive hit. So...what. It has not ruined crafting. It has ruined stupidly insane profits is all. Crafting is still there and needed. People will still craft items. People will still profit. I will still craft and profit for sure. My margins will just change and I may shift back to some previous models that were sustaining me and may now be more profitable again.

Gold Farmers will take over the planet!!! Unlikely. They need to profit as much as anyone else. If there is no profit, they will not do it. Prices will stabilize at a lower level and that will be that. No more profit. Everything you see happening, everything that you see people worrying about will be normalized in less than 2 weeks (just a prediction) if not sooner.

Folks, making money in this game is truly simple. Some grind, some craft, some people are like those beggars on the streets sifting the GTN for bargains, buying, and then upselling. I cannot go into all the ways to make a profit in this game. But rest assured, they are numerous. When you play an MMO, you come in with the understanding that any day a mechanic or item can be introduced to make past revenue streams completely obsolete. If you only have one stream, and it gets canceled, then yah, it can be a tough pill to swallow. But if you are a true merchant mercenary, you will diversify, expand, adjust, and always...always profit.

Sincerely,

The Fat Cat

So let me get this straight.

Bioware is going to nerf the intended drop rates on the slot machines because a vocal MINORITY are crying about how they cannot make as much money now that people who have the machines have become self sustained in obtaining mats without the need to pay the bull$hit prices many of these people put mats up for or if they so choose, can undercut and threaten their death grip on mat selling via the gtn with the most hyper overreaction ever seen regarding the swtor economy saying the slot machines are breaking it??

REALLY???

Bioware/Eric, what about the rest of us? What about those of us who use the machines for our own use or our own guild and quietly build up resources for it?

I wonder if these same QQ'ers complaining about the slot machines ever complain about the behavior of big businesses or EA themselves. Funny how when it is their in game earning potential being threatened, now they want things their way and have their market be protected just like the big businesses in the real world smashing any small threatening competitor.

Taste the irony......... :jawa_frown:

My only concern is the unbalancing affect this has on mission skills.

If they do not change the drop rates / ratios for jawa junk, or the conversion rates on the jawa vendor, there will be little reason to level mission skills and run crew missions.

As for the price of purple G11 materials and the associated crafted items, those were high due to the high demand coupled with the low supply which was tied to the cost / time of running crew missions having low drop rates and yields - all controlled by Bioware.

Had they wanted to increase supply within the game, they could have increased the crit chance on missions, increased the yields on missions, reduced the cost and time to run missions, and / or any combination of the foregoing.

Anyways, the market will adapt but as it stand now, mission skills will need changes if they are to maintain any usefulness going forward.

Oh and it is hilarious reading both sides, the 'OMG the sky is falling the market will totally crash we are all doomed' side along with the 'f u greedy crafters, now my lazy self can get what I want with no effort' side.

The truth as always is somewhere in between the two extremes, and regardless of yellow text, I foresee changes made to either / or / both the slot machines, the jawa vendors, and mission skills in the near future.

Edited by DawnAskham