the pvp arenas looks...pretty great

astrobearx

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious to see if some of these arenas have moving parts. There does look like a lot of los, and that bridge - I'm hoping it's not a cheap knock-you-into-the-abyss kill method. Arenas definitely favor some classes more than others, so we'll have to see how this goes in terms of class balance. Edited by CommunityDroidEN

In such a small, intimate area, LoS and other geometry concerns are valid, but I can assure you that we are adjusting the LoS blockers and general terrain on these on a daily basis to make sure we get them juuuuust right for all parties involved, not just melee and ranged DPS. Sometimes there is just too much LoS for the healers and they can't get off their support abilities because their friendly targets are weaving their way through all the blockers. Point being, it is a balancing act and we are iterating on it every day!

I'm writing up a blog post today (it won't be posted until next week or possibly the week after, gotta translate it and get the big bosses to rubber stamp it) to explain in more detail these Warzone Arenas and our methodology in balancing them. Really looking forward to yall getting your hands on them asap! The feedback from players that have played them already has been overwhelmingly positive! :jawa_biggrin:

Cheers!

Thank you Alex - I appreciate the comment. Knowing it's something you're cognizant of and working around gives me great relief :)

Good news! Baron Deathmark will be making a return to announce all the brutal Warzone Arena action :jawa_biggrin:

Noice :D

I guess I can assume there will also be a "Welcome to the Republic training simulation...--" for same faction arenas. But uh... please no more "Isn't this fun!--" ~ Voidstar Announcer :p

• Dev Post
Thank you Alex - I appreciate the comment. Knowing it's something you're cognizant of and working around gives me great relief :)

My pleasure TUX! Looking forward to your feedback when you get your mitts on them :D

Edited by AmberGreen

In such a small, intimate area, LoS and other geometry concerns are valid, but I can assure you that we are adjusting the LoS blockers and general terrain on these on a daily basis to make sure we get them juuuuust right for all parties involved, not just melee and ranged DPS. Sometimes there is just too much LoS for the healers and they can't get off their support abilities because their friendly targets are weaving their way through all the blockers. Point being, it is a balancing act and we are iterating on it every day!

I'm writing up a blog post today (it won't be posted until next week or possibly the week after, gotta translate it and get the big bosses to rubber stamp it) to explain in more detail these Warzone Arenas and our methodology in balancing them. Really looking forward to yall getting your hands on them asap! The feedback from players that have played them already has been overwhelmingly positive! :jawa_biggrin:

Cheers!

But does the GCD misfire still exist? I imagine it can be pretty frustrating to lose a match due to this bug where every ability counts.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=628435

My pleasure TUX! Looking forward to your feedback when you get your mitts on them :D

I'm generally pretty shy when it come to the forums, but because you asked, I'll be sure to post my feedback when I get a chance ;) You actually have me very anxious to try these.

Cheers!

Finaly, some hope for some of us Pvp'ers. Even though a lot of ppl will say we have a long way to go. I'm glad that Bio/EA are now putting more focus on Pvp, and hope that every Class can participate in these new Arenas. Thanx Bioware; I feel better now that some of my Subscription costs is going into something that I hope most ppl will enjoy. :)

I can't wait for arena's, but I was hoping that 2-3 new warzones would find their way into 2.4 :(

That being said, I'm glad you guys are taking LoS seriously. Anyone who's ever chased a resto druid around in WoW's arena's know that LoS needs to be limited as to prevent healers from being unbeatable, but at the same time it's gotta be enough so that they can LoS if needed. Lookin forward to trying it out

Edited by justandulas

Alex

Could you mention approx. how long each match lasts? I'm kinda hoping it would be quicker than current 15ish min WZ. Maybe like 5 min average would be nice.

May I add abit to your question warshanes? What happens when the match timer ends and person(s) from both teams are still standing and fighting? Does it end in a draw? Sudden death OT?

• Dev Post
Alex

Could you mention approx. how long each match lasts? I'm kinda hoping it would be quicker than current 15ish min WZ. Maybe like 5 min average would be nice.

May I add abit to your question warshanes? What happens when the match timer ends and person from both teams are still standing and fighting? Does it end in a draw? Sudden death OT?

We are in testing right now to find a happy place with regards to match length so I don't have a "they will be X min long" to share at this time. I will have more details in my blog post (that I mentioned in a previous post in this thread) that will shed some light on match length, among other topics. :jawa_biggrin:

Edited by AmberGreen

We are in testing right now to find a happy place with regards to match length so I don't have a "they will be X min long" to share at this time. I will have more details in my blog post (that I mentioned in a previous post in this thread) that will shed some light on match length, among other topics. :jawa_biggrin:

great communication. keep up the good work

Since it's a deathmatch scenario, it might be nice to have it to where each kill, removes some chunk of time from the clock - the greater the disparity in kills, the more time that is removed. That would make facerolls end quicker, close matches last longer.

Example: Each Arena is slated for 15min. Every death removes 5 seconds from that timer.

1-5 kills = -5 seconds ea.

6-12 kills = -10 seconds ea.

13+ = -15 seconds per kill from the clock

Similar to how a one sided WZ ends quicker with less or no objectives being held.

Alex - one question I have (and I understand if you can't answer in any great detail) revolves around class balance. By that I mean...in smaller-scale PvP I've engaged in (i.e. 2v2 and 3v3 in WoW mainly), you can run into situations where particular class combinations can have a very strong synergy or can almost hard-counter other combinations/classes. That can become frustrating if, for example, your class (or advanced class, to be accurate) is one that has particularly exploitable weaknesses.

Is that a concern among the development team too?

I ask because while I did enjoy doing arena on WoW, it also could be very frustrating when (as an example) my ret paladin would run into a frost mage or a priest that knew how to dispel.

Thanks Alex. Is it possible for ties to occur when the match timer ends or is that something that's being tested right now as well? Lookin forward to the blog to see the details.

Since it's a deathmatch scenario, it might be nice to have it to where each kill, removes some chunk of time from the clock - the greater the disparity in kills, the more time that is removed. That would make facerolls end quicker, close matches last longer.

Example: Each Arena is slated for 15min. Every death removes 5 seconds from that timer.

1-5 kills = -5 seconds ea.

6-12 kills = -10 seconds ea.

13+ = -15 seconds per kill from the clock

Similar to how a one sided WZ ends quicker with less or no objectives being held.

This is just based off of my experience with wow's arenas, but facerolls end quickly anyway since everyone on one side is dead super fast and that ends the match. The bigger issue with time is turtles. If you have a team that is virtually unkillable, they can just go in and sit there till the other team gives up in frustration.