APAC character transfer: working with 'name placeholder' characters

StephenReid

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if im moving a character over to a different server, to a server where my other characters are lower lvl legacy wuts gunna happen? how are they integrating the 2 different legacys meeting together? will i keep my unlocks that i have on both. I dont understand how thats going to work.

Im actually moving one character to a diff account and different server and one character just to a different account and keepin him on same server. Is that going to be possible? Switchign characters from one account to another?

EDIT: My main question id like answered is switching characters from one account to another goign to be possible. Because i made 2 accounts for some reason and got characters to lvl 50 on both, and i dont need 2 accounts and would like to have them all on one server/account

Edited by ChinamanAthena

As I've mentioned before, the character transfer system for Asia-Pacific servers is not the final system - it is in fact essentially a prototype for the final system, designed to transfer a small amount of characters (relatively speaking).

The final character transfer system is in development now and is a high priority for the development team. However, as this is a complex technical challenge with many 'moving parts' it will not be available until some time after the Asia-Pacific character transfer process is finished. When we have more details and a more accurate ETA to share, we will do so.

this is the classic brush off, i imagine we wont see them for another 6 months

I do not see why they cannot give the existing customers what they are currently using for the Asia transfers. It may not be the ideal way of doing things but it works! Give this feature to everyone and people will pay for it, i am one of them. Even the money from these transfers could assist in providing the resources needed to finish the development of the final version "to speed things up".

There are many servers die'ing and people are complaining and stop playing because it is hard to find groups for OPs, WZ's and FP's etc

I bet if they gave this to everyone the subs will dramatically increase as well as money from the transfers alone - because not everyone is will to restart new characters.

Good to hear, I was wondering about this, I do have one question:

If I have characters from multiple servers being transferred to the one AP server(and i have placeholders for all of them), will they all be done in one go? and if not would I be able to log in, Delete placeholders, and then have enough slots for the next set of characters(so in this way have effective placeholders for over 4 characters.)?

Edited by Flaraza

Now Stephen, I say this as a person who has never attended at Britney Spears concert, so if I make a mistake or two, please forgive.

However, when I looked at my character transfer sheet, I noted that some of my deleted characters were available for transfer. In retrospect, I shouldn't have deleted them, and so made arrangements to have them transferred between the PvP and PvE AUS servers.

Will these deleted characters be carried over - or restored, if you like - on the new servers? There are a lot of people putting pressure on me for answers to this, and I've been stalling them for weeks, but I get the feeling they are getting impatient now. They keep telling me to check my mailbox and ringing me up in the wee hours and laughing at me.

TIA.

Edited by Ramayana

If I don't have any placeholder 's on my destination server, and the names of the characters I wish to move are not already taken on that server, will I be given the option to rename them?

No; your characters will be transferred and should be ready to go after that, assuming you have free slots on the destination server.

Transfers to the Oceania servers will be available at a later date? I am asking as I would prefer to transfer when guildies of mine from other area's of the globe can also transfer.

Future character transfer plans aren't finalized yet but I expect any future system will allow transfers to Asia-Pacific (AKA Oceanic) servers.

So if im moving a character over to a different server, to a server where my other characters are lower lvl legacy wuts gunna happen? how are they integrating the 2 different legacys meeting together? will i keep my unlocks that i have on both. I dont understand how thats going to work.

Hey there, this is actually covered in the FAQ in some detail.

EDIT: My main question id like answered is switching characters from one account to another goign to be possible. Because i made 2 accounts for some reason and got characters to lvl 50 on both, and i dont need 2 accounts and would like to have them all on one server/account

At this time, account merges are not possible I'm afraid. If you want to continue to play on a single account, you'll need to make a choice between them.

If I have characters from multiple servers being transferred to the one AP server(and i have placeholders for all of them), will they all be done in one go? and if not would I be able to log in, Delete placeholders, and then have enough slots for the next set of characters(so in this way have effective placeholders for over 4 characters.)?

The transfer will happen in one go, so I'm afraid your plan wouldn't work. Sorry.

However, when I looked at my character transfer sheet, I noted that some of my deleted characters were available for transfer. In retrospect, I shouldn't have deleted them, and so made arrangements to have them transferred between the PvP and PvE AUS servers.

Will these deleted characters be carried over - or restored, if you like - on the new servers?

I'm afraid not. You're seeing them on your character transfer page because they were likely deleted after the cut-off point for when we took a sample of the character data. Unfortunately, that means you see them as 'available' but in fact they're not - and will fail on transfer.

You can, if you wish, contact Customer Service to ask them about restoring those characters on your original server - but you may have to wait until our final character transfer process comes online before you can transfer them to Asia-Pacific servers. Ask them nicely, they'll try and help you out. :)

How long till the transfers start rolling out? Is ita first come first served? Or based on account creation dates?

All my characters were already transfered when I got on about 1 hout after the mainance. Was quite supprised and very pleased. Just glad it happened before the pet started rolling out to everyone. I would have been a bit miffed if I missed out because it was in my mail box when I got transfered.

Thanks Bioware.

Are transfers completed? Because some of my characters have moved, and some have stayed where they are (and transfers were requested for them).

Transfers started today, but will take up to a week to complete. (This was outlined in the very first messaging about the process.) I just posted more details about what to expect.

If characters have stayed where they are, that may be because you were out of character slots on your destination server. Please contact Customer Service if you want to discuss further.

I appreciate noting the emergence of a true transfer system as I have seen no admin responses to questions on the subject, however is it not possible to at least give us some sort of idea? Perhaps how many months or anything? This game is great, and many have been patient who are suffering on servers lke mine (rwookrrorro) where pvp is not even possible aside from maybe 5 hrs in a day if we are lucky, but we deserve at least something to go on in terms of a possible time, and please do not tell me there will not be transfers from low pop servers to high pop b/c nobody will come here.

Stephen,

What I'm about to write has 30 years of commercial IT experience behind it, including software design/engineering, large project work & a wide array of infrastructure/networking management for multinationals in complex environments across numerous platforms. Therefore, please don't take it personally, but rather consider it a very well informed, professional opinion & make of it/do with it what you will.

This, what should have been a relatively simple data transfer process, has devolved into a sad, pathetic mess. Firstly, your basic web page to collect up to a whole 8 bytes of form data about the characters we wanted transferred was broken. So you asked us to enter our beloved character names on a public forum, for all to see & salivate over. You inform us bacjk then that the transfers won't take place unless certain conditions are met, nowhere near as detailed as the 1st post in this thread, mind you. The net effect being, we have now exposed our favourite char names for anyone to pinch during this 1 week limbo period while you execute this incredibly complex data transfer. Some of us were up at 5am on Dec 20th & March 1st, in order to secure & retain those names...

I am utterly bemused, completely flabbergasted & totally aghast at how this has been handled. I won't even go into the dozen other milestone-level SNAFUs since my 3 stints in your beta program, nor mention the ridiculous, unjustifiable 2 month wait just to get these chars transferred, which has fragmented guilds & ruined the play experience for so many. As a veteran gamer since before PC gaming even existed, I should be speechless, but alas, I've seen so much of this kind of thing before.

Your 1:1 physical<->logical server model was deeply flawed & broken before it ever launched. You learned nothing from the failures & successes of so many other developers, but just went down the path of copying THAT other mmo (which shall remain nameless), to the nth degree, with the fully predictable & expected results. There are so many other centralised/consolidated/virtualised database & server models you could have looked at more closely (GW, EVE, ATITD to name a few examples). Your server model is last century & the problems that come with it have been solved. I really cannot fathom why you went down this path, with all the globs of money & R&D spent on this game...but I can surely speculate as to how that decision-making process came to pass.

I don't know what else to say, so I'll stop rambling. I've been a rabid SW fan since the 1st day it appeared on the big screen. To say this experience has been at once a joy, a mixed blessing & yet a consummate disappointment would be a gross oversimplification of my experience with SWTOR to date. I will remain your loyal customer for now, but consider this an opportunity to re-examine how you are handling things, because if fans like myself start leaving, it won't be long after that...

^^^ Good post

Not tryin to take away form that or anything but i asked earlier and id like to know if ill be able to switch a character from one account to a different account and from one account/server to a different account/server.

I have 2 characters lvl 50 on a account, 1 on namadii corridor server and one on Jung Ma server. I want to switch both characters to my main account and have them both on Jung Ma Server, is this going to be possible? Does anyone know?

I realize it was my own ignorance that caused my situation but id like the opportunity to fix my mistake and get all my characters together on the same account/server like they should be.

Why is everything so painfully difficult for Bioware? I love this game, but this company is bordering on incompetent. Its not as if character transfers are some amazing, cutting edge technology that Bioware had to develop from the ground up.

At this time, account merges are not possible I'm afraid. If you want to continue to play on a single account, you'll need to make a choice between them.

@ChinamanAthena - no account merges. Full post on previous page (no 4).

Edited by TziganeNZ

@ChinamanAthena - no account merges. Full post on previous page (no 4).

wow ok so got to cancel an account with 2 lvl 50s and all kinds of gear and items ive collected... this sucks

Im really pissed

EDIT: and its my account with my founder title, my other account doesnt have it :( o well, guess it means i gotta really start leveling more

Edited by ChinamanAthena

Well just been transferred, one of my 8 did not transfer and surprise, surprise someone has taken my main toons name that I had until a few days ago placeheld on the destination server. (I deleted the placeholders when we were told you could realistically only hold 4 and have 4 slots free on the destination server)

So now my main who I have played since early access has lost her name to a toon who can be no older than a few days...

I am also unsure why one of my characters did not get transferred...its only level 12 but I sent the character some stuff from the rakghoul event and I had the toon looking exactly how I wanted.

Am very dissappointed in how this has turned out.

Edited by DarthBrundleFLY

I am also unsure why one of my characters did not get transferred...its only level 12 but I sent the character some stuff from the rakghoul event and I had the toon looking exactly how I wanted.

Hey there, apologies for the character transfer issue. Please contact Customer Service and they may be able to help you.

The most common reason for a character to not be transferred is because of lack of space on the destination server, or because a character was deleted after the original cut-off point. It sounds like it may be the first issue for you, but do contact CS who may be able to help.

Hey there, apologies for the character transfer issue. Please contact Customer Service and they may be able to help you.

The most common reason for a character to not be transferred is because of lack of space on the destination server, or because a character was deleted after the original cut-off point. It sounds like it may be the first issue for you, but do contact CS who may be able to help.

Thankyou for the apology and the reply, I contacted customer support and they are looking into the failed transfer for me. I would like to know what can be done about my loosing my mains characters name though something I noticed you did not respond too.

I have been playing this game since the second early access went live and my main was the 1st charcter I created I have played her for the past 5 months or so. As soon as the Aussie servers came online I created placeholder toons for all my characters on those servers too.

Now when your server transfer form came online and started working we found we could not transfer to the server unless there were free slots available. I have 8 toons I wanted transferred so I HAD to delete the 8 placeholders so I could submit the application.

So now I loose my main toons name to a a character that can only be a few days old...how is that fair...I know it places you in a difficult position as you don't want to upset either subscriber but I have done everything that was possible in the framework you allowed and I loose my mains name which is important to me.

It has been my character from launch and I am the one who has to be penalized...I really hope something can be done to restore MY characters name, she won't be the same with another name.

I also realised that I responded (stupidly now I think) to your request the other day when the transfer page was not working with my characters names and the server they were transferred from. I did not put where I was transferring to but I forgot my signature which does have the Aussie server I am Interested in. Have I lost my mains name to someone who has taken my name merely to grief me?

Edited by DarthBrundleFLY

careful if you transfer multiple toons, ive had charcter renames applied to incorrect toons and bioware refuses to acknowledge a problem, 2hrs in chat with a gm

Finally got this resolved and was given an option to rename my toons again (only after 4.5hrs trying to sort the issue with customer support)

It was like pulling teeth to get this resolved but I got there in the end.

My only tip for others in this mess is persist with your issue and dont cave if they say working as intended, this is a flawed transfer system and we shouldn't settle for a screwup due to poorly implemented transfers.

Siderant: Really what other MMO company requires you to rename all toons in one go and the first rename doesnt apply to the toon selected?