Is there a 3rd faction?

Lukoii

Order of the Revanites? ;)

Officially, no, there isn't one. I very much doubt there will be, though, the TOR developers have stated that their goal is to represent the iconic roles of Star Wars. A third party faction would be more minor details that isn't really as Star Wars as the Empire vs Republic, Jedi vs Sith, etc face-offs are.

Though one thing that irks me is the way they made no attempt to even hide that they're trying to make the Sith Empire into a prelude to the Galactic Empire. Which I find a bit odd since the Galactic Empire was born out of the Republic. It was this twisting from within that was the political drama of Star Wars. The Clone Troopers who were the heroes of SW1-3 are the same guys (in slightly different armor) who become the Storm Troopers in SW4-6. Likewise, we see the "Heinkel" style cockpit on Jedi fighters in SW1, and the same style on Imperial TIE fighters in SW4-6. Another example, and an issue dropped from the films for obvious reasons, was that during SW4-6 the planet Naboo was strongly pro-Imperial throughout the entire war. I'm sure it's easy to guess why, too.

Yet we don't see any of that here. What we see instead is a Sith Empire that seems to be clairvoyantly reaching into SW1-6, seeing what the Galactic Empire will look like in 3000 years and copying it. Which again is odd since that Galactic Empire of the future is actually the Old Republic - albeit Under New Management. And lo & behold, the Old Republic is also reaching into the future as well. Repeat previous comments.

And yes, a neutral side is desperately needed. I mean, the whole idea of Smugglers even picking a side at all is pretty silly if you think about it. Does the Republic not have their own Agents? Does the Sith not have any Troopers?

Even the now comatose SWG has more options than this, and I like to think that Bioware developers can curb-stomp SOE's clowns any day. So I'm betting it will happen soon. They're too intelligent not to move the game in the right direction. At least, that's what I'm betting my $15 a month on... for now.

Actually, it works the other way around. Palpatine/Sidious reached back into the times of old to derive inspiration for his Galactic Empire. The title of Moff, the designs for the starfighters and starships, everything was taken from the old Sith Empire.

Yes, I realize that's a horrible retcon, but it has been established long before KOTOR and TOR came along. They were just the first to visualize what a previous Sith Empire looked like, which of course bears an uncanny resemblance to the Galactic Empire we all know and fear.

From my understanding, and I could be totaly wrong here. The Empire (that exists in SWTOR) ends up losing. We're 3000 years or more in the past, so by the Star Wars series we're all gone. And the Empire starts anew through the Republic.

I blame our weakling great great great grand babies.

I too have wondered about a 3rd subfaction in the game. What I would like to see is just that... a 3rd SUB-faction... not a whole 3rd faction added. Keep it Sith vs Jedi yet add a behind the scenes faction (which is what the Order of Revanites are anyway). Even if they don't I will play as a Revanite just because before I came across those quests I said to myself I'd love to walk both sides and be a warrior who uses both sides of the force. Once I found these quests (and the group) it was like the developers had used the force to read my mind ahead of time! HAHA So I hope they add special bonuses down the road for remaining in neutral territory for a certain period of time with this group. Maybe special Revanite gear, titles, missions, etc. I'm already a Revanite at heart :D

I could be wrong on this, but isnt The Droid army, Sep forces considered a third party? I know by time of the Clone wars they are considered in the empire but what about now? Arnt the Seps their own faction outside of the imperial forces?

Actually, it works the other way around. Palpatine/Sidious reached back into the times of old to derive inspiration for his Galactic Empire. The title of Moff, the designs for the starfighters and starships, everything was taken from the old Sith Empire.

Yes, I realize that's a horrible retcon, but it has been established long before KOTOR and TOR came along. They were just the first to visualize what a previous Sith Empire looked like, which of course bears an uncanny resemblance to the Galactic Empire we all know and fear.

Wait, i thoguht TOR was gonna be right around postRevan going into galactic void???

I could be wrong on this, but isnt The Droid army, Sep forces considered a third party? I know by time of the Clone wars they are considered in the empire but what about now? Arnt the Seps their own faction outside of the imperial forces?

Dont confuse the Ord Mantell separatist movement with the one from the prequel films. This takes place at least 1000 years before that. Also, the Clone Wars Separatists were not part of the galactic empire...well, not officially. Thanks to Palpatine's machinations, they were little more than puppets, like the Republic.

Well they could always add the mandalorians as a faction of some kind.. At this time the Mandalore is a ally of the sith but clan Ordo is still pro-republic, maybe if they make mandalore die then you could have mandalorians supporting both sides because of the lack of someone uniteing the clans. (a bit like the pandas in wow where they get to choose witch faction to support, please don't kill me for comparing anything to wow ;) ) Edited by vallonus