Bomber Feedback

Kaivers

I really can't see the use of bombers to be perfectly honest. I've tried flying as one instead of my regular gunship and performed worse in nearly every single area. Even in their supposed specialty, area denial, I was better just perching somewhere 12km away and sniping approaching enemies than watching said enemies shoot my drones/mines once and proceed onward since you're too slow in the big tub to follow or dogfight them.

Maybe there is just something about them I'm not getting, but so far, my gunship is better in every way.

Bombers (especially Miners) have pretty much killed Burst Laser Cannon scouts owning Domination.

Either of my Bombers can single-handedly own a node against multiple opponents for minutes at a time, racking up damage, kills, assists and objective points all at once. The best way to dislodge/destroy me is Gunship fire, and even then there still usually needs to be several people shooting at me up close as well.

Using a Bomber in Deathmatch is a lot trickier. If the enemy team doesn't focus on suppressing you, you can dish out a lot of damage (and healing). However, if the enemy hunts you and your drones/mines mercilessly, then it can be harder to get more kills than deaths. Of course, the same can be said of Gunships in Deathmatch. They only succeed so long as they go unnoticed and unharried.

Edited by Nemarus

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't see the use of bombers to be perfectly honest. I've tried flying as one instead of my regular gunship and performed worse in nearly every single area. Even in their supposed specialty, area denial, I was better just perching somewhere 12km away and sniping approaching enemies than watching said enemies shoot my drones/mines once and proceed onward since you're too slow in the big tub to follow or dogfight them.

Maybe there is just something about them I'm not getting, but so far, my gunship is better in every way.

They are node owners, trap setters and support ships. They are now officially the best node defenders in Domination, and I've seen them used effectively in to set traps in TDM, although only when actively working with a team.

For support, the ability to recharge shields, repair hull and rearm missiles is big as well. It used to be that GSF was a war of attrition. Every little bit of damage accumulated until you died, and every missile fired was irreplaceable. Now with bombers in the mix GSF has it's own "Heal To Full" class... ;)

• 8 months later...

Bombers in my opinion are over powered, if such a term is appropriate. Since their release, I've long since referred to the piloting of them to that of a dog taking a dump in the middle of a path where walkers will travel. Equivalent to taking several dumps near an objective and waiting for someone to fly into it.

I see bombers as something that encourages lack-of-skill since you can easily, and lazily fly around and let your mines/drones do the work for you. Bombers nerf skill the way I see it. They're hard to kill, whether at a distance with gunships (you charge your rail-gun, get a hard hit on them, then as you charge again for another shot, the bomber LOS and you have to re-position). Or close range, if you're using a scout or strike fighter (in which you have to get close, which everyone knows, mines are likely to be as close to their deployer as you are).

It's absolutely infuriating when a team, cannot take a single objective of effectively dogfight when there are "piles of crap" everywhere in which you can fly into. :mad:

I know some players will refer to my skill as poor or I'm not combating the bombers in the correct manner. Nevertheless, I've seen players that I have recognized to be very skillful with all manner of craft and well experienced in GSF, still be slaughtered as easily as any player new to GSF because of bombers and the tactics in which bombers pilots employ.

What I've found out:

Minelayers are brutal at small-area denial, which is basically sat control. With charged plating, they can basically facetank any quantity of any mines except interdiction, which slow them down and make them vulnerable. Basic strategy with these is to fly to a sat, blow all the enemy mines, and drop SIM of your own. Often you need a buddy to rip turrets. Hyperspace beacons near important places can be very useful, but if the other team figures out you've dropped one, it's not going to last.

Because people think they're so weak in deathmatches, sometimes they actually get ignored. For gunships, that's a terrible mistake: you fly up behind them, drop mines, point your nose at them, and wait for boom. Then you start pounding. They usually hold still while you do this (they're too busy sniping your buddies), and take a few times to figure out they need to listen for that quiet mine-drop sound.

Dronelayers are meh at large area denial and sat control, but useful for utility-type purposes (healing, aimbot sentry droning, snare drone). If you combine interdiction mine/drone (two bombers), the enemy has no choice but to ion splash (or EMP missile) you: if they get close and trip both, you snare them down to zero and force them to burn an engine ability.

I flew both Bomber types today and spend close to 100.000 saved Req on them.

Can you imagine what happens if two drone carriers fortify a Satellite with 3 Railgun Drones (range 10.000, attacks pretty much everything before it can attack) and 3 Interdiction Sentry Drones (we can have to have a scout getting in range, do we) on top of 6 seeker mines, four repair drones and three turrets??

Are you really sure you're already flown the bomber?

A drone bombers can have only one railgun drone OR two Interdiction Sentry Drones, 3 Seeker Mines and 1 Repair Drone.

Are you really sure you're already flown the bomber?

A drone bombers can have only one railgun drone OR two Interdiction Sentry Drones, 3 Seeker Mines and 1 Repair Drone.

Hey

The post youre quoting is from February 2014. They changed it at some point.

Maybe it was only possible on the PTS and it never made it to live (dont remember 9 months later), but i definitely played around with 3 railgun drones on one node.

Hence my post about bombers in Domination.

Edited by AMightyKnight