Please no more Warcraft terms.

Anysao

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP is truly getting aggravated at terms that have been around since the launch of the first game? Not just MMO's but all games in general. WoW just happens to be the largest most known MMO out right now. Therefor people swear that anything stated other than name that is given is this is from "WoW".

Please next time brush up on your MMO Knowledge before posting such things as these.

P.S. DnD had "mobs" when it came out I believe. That was a dice rolling game... Way before World Of Warcraft.

Thanks In Advance,

Nisroc

aKa

MrSpacely™

=-)

Unles someone knows how to change a title of a thread to "Please no more Medieval game terms".

And this isnt my FIRST mmo, just my favorite, and im best at.

Why do we say DPS anyways? its not really Damage PER SECOND anymore, its more just like damage (dmg?)

And i just really hate these terms, i mean, this is SWTOR- EMBRACE IT!!!

Oh, and i know the Devs use them to- remember, Bioware and lucasarts hired MMO staff, so they use the terms.

this shows just how little u understand about how mmo games work... there are so many in here explaining this to u... u even say ur self that the very staff that have built this game use the terms.

and still u claim that the general mmo terms should not be used in a mmo game... u know u could other do things than gaming if this bothers u that mutch...

Edited by crazyplaya

this shows just how little u understand about how mmo games work... there are so many in here explaining this to u... u even say ur self that the very staff that have built this game use the terms.

and still u claim that the general mmo terms should not be used in a mmo game... u know u could other do things than gaming if this bothers u that mutch...

So Utterly True. How can someone whine about the "lingo" used in this game? When it is used in every MMO out right now? Baffles me what some people complain about.

HAHAHA. mmo fail. nerd status revoked. you are no geek go back and play in the sun with the girls.

The person you're quoting is talking about the real life, dictionary definition, not some MMO terminology that some "forever aloner" came up with in his mom's basement -_-

MOB is my pet peeve as well, because people use it to refer to groups rather than individuals.

MOB is short for mobile object, as others have mentioned. In this context that is the meaning. Quoting dictionary definitions is irrelevant. Trying to stick up for people who have made a simple mistake is pointless. Just stop.

Learn, move on, and be glad you weren't embarassed in an actual conversation with someone who knew better.

Edit: strange punctuation typo.

Edited by WheresYourTowel

It can be utterly confusing. I ask you to please cut down on them, as they can be annoying. Some things I do and do not like are below-

Bad slang: :mad:

"Raids"- Why is it so hard to say Ops? It can be incredibly confusing to a new player.

"Taunts"- I am tank-specced and I had NO idea where "taunts" come from, and took forever for me to learn that it's just to grab the attention of the enemy.

"Mobs"- Where does this come from for NPCs? It's the most random name so far.

"Instance"- Don't really have a problem with this one, yet I'm not sure where it comes from, it seems just like an odd term.

"Dungeons"- I assume you mean Flashpoints, and you can not have a worse term. Since when is being in deep space, while being under attack by an enemy cruiser, a "dungeon"?

"Pets"- A companion is a NPC sidekick, not a pet. For pets, see mouse droids, and other droids. I WILL KILL ANYONE WHO CALLS MY COMPANION A PET!!

Slang I'm fine with::)

"Aggro"- I don't like the term, but it's the only term i know of to get attention of NPCs.

"Tank"- Well, this is in any MMO, so, it's not really a problem.

"DPS"- Although we rarely mean "Damage Per SECOND", it is useful to understand.

"HP"- Hitpoints, or health. No problem here.

I wont lecture you, but, please, for other player's gaming experience, use standard terms to help people learn how the game works.:D

Its just RPG lingo :S Some of these terms date back to pen and paper games like D&D. If you dont like them, maybe stop playing RPGs? ;)

you dont have to "troll" me. Grow up, stop living in the past. like you said, they're like 20 years old, there is no need to be rude.

There are just opinions.

You kind of posted in the new player forum board, so you did get a lot of the explanation to your implied "new player" question. That's kind of what the board is about.:o

"CC"- I understood it was for Crowd Control, but a more accurate term is stuns.

No a much less accurate term would be stuns.

You got roots, snares, fears, mezzes, stuns etc.

Already have people saying stun this or that when they really mean mez/sleep, don't want to confuse them more by lumping all forms of CC as "stuns"

It can be utterly confusing. I ask you to please cut down on them, as they can be annoying. Some things I do and do not like are below-

... SNIP ...

I wont lecture you, but, please, for other player's gaming experience, use standard terms to help people learn how the game works.

Pointing out that most of those terms ARE standard terms and how the original poster is incorrect in a number of ways

And this isnt my FIRST mmo, just my favorite, and im best at.

Why do we say DPS anyways? its not really Damage PER SECOND anymore, its more just like damage (dmg?)

And i just really hate these terms, i mean, this is SWTOR- EMBRACE IT!!!

Oh, and i know the Devs use them to- remember, Bioware and lucasarts hired MMO staff, so they use the terms.

Demonstrating distinct lack of acceptance of the corrections made by everyone else

you dont have to "troll" me. Grow up, stop living in the past. like you said, they're like 20 years old, there is no need to be rude.

There are just opinions.

Still a lack of acceptance, or contrition, that what they originally said was just wrong. Now angry at being corrected so many times.

You kind of posted in the new player forum board, so you did get a lot of the explanation to your implied "new player" question. That's kind of what the board is about.

Well said.

OP - you posted with some incorrect 'facts' and a lot of people took time to correct you. You weren't being trolled, you were being educated. Unfortunately you didn't show any level of humility or apology that you'd posted things as fact when they were wrong, or thanks to the people that corrected you. You're probably lucky you posted in the new player forum because you would have just been ripped to shreds in the general forum :)

Anyway, move on and learn from your fail. No one will think less of you if you learn from mistakes ... only if you keep repeating them.

I don't know whether these terms come from WoW or not, but I come here after years of playing WoW, and that was the only other MMORPG I've ever played. I will say that I often don't use SWTOR terms because I'm just not used to them yet. Slowly however, I am converting. Edited by Qonor

While I have seen some stupid use of wow terms, such as people saying "auction house" when they mean GTN, which is stupid, since you can't auction anything there,

Why's it stupid? The GTN works exactly the same way as the AH except not as well.

What is wrong with you people, just because you are newbs in the MMO world doesn't mean you should be angry that the rest of us are using words that have been around for 15 + years like MOB, I almost spit my coffee on the screen when I saw that OP call that a random word.

/sigh

Why's it stupid? The GTN works exactly the same way as the AH except not as well.

What is wrong with you people, just because you are newbs in the MMO world doesn't mean you should be angry that the rest of us are using words that have been around for 15 + years like MOB, I almost spit my coffee on the screen when I saw that OP call that a random word.

/sigh

So you haven't ever used the Auction House for it's intended purpose, i take it.

Go back to WoW for a trial, and look at the Auction House. did you ever notice the second price on stuff. that's a bid amount. in fact, you don't even have to have a buy price, and can just let people bid. it works like eBay.

The GTN has no bid. you pay what the seller asks for, or no item. They're different, and you need to at least know a little about your topic before you rage about it if you want people to take you seriously.

So you haven't ever used the Auction House for it's intended purpose, i take it.

Go back to WoW for a trial, and look at the Auction House. did you ever notice the second price on stuff. that's a bid amount. in fact, you don't even have to have a buy price, and can just let people bid. it works like eBay.

The GTN has no bid. you pay what the seller asks for, or no item. They're different, and you need to at least know a little about your topic before you rage about it if you want people to take you seriously.

The way I look at it is almost semantics. I stick stuff on the GTN and hope it sells. Comparing the two I prefer the AH bid style to the current GTN.. but. I am happy that the GTN doesn't keep the deposit if it doesn't sell.

Sorry OP, but as far as I know none of the terms you are complaining about came from WoW originally. There are one or two I am not sure about, but the vast majority of them came from older MMOs like Ultima Online or Meridian 59, or the slightly newer ones like Everquest.

Mind you, there are a few that came from table-top D&D playing.

WoW is not as original as you might think :)

like to add that former WoW players like myself that are new to this game who are used to using our lingo from uterly years of playing are going to refer to the similarities in this game the only way we now how. such as brits refering to an elevator as a "lift" or a cigerette as a "***" its just how we know how to communicate so get over it

WHO CARES? Let people call things whatever they want, its not hard for a new player to ask "whats that mean?" besides, the only people who dont know those terms are probably people who have never played any other mmo, and in all honesty thats probably not that big of a percentage of people playing this game.. oh and your comapanion is a pet.

Sorry OP, but as far as I know none of the terms you are complaining about came from WoW originally. There are one or two I am not sure about, but the vast majority of them came from older MMOs like Ultima Online or Meridian 59, or the slightly newer ones like Everquest.

Mind you, there are a few that came from table-top D&D playing.

WoW is not as original as you might think :)

I wish more people understood this.