Dueling Tournament hosted by SnX

Aztang

Here is the Duelling Tournament event we started organizing after the last Tournament.

The competition is that you first have 8 competitions, 1 between each advanced class, with the top two of each AC going into the grand tournament at the end. The grand tournament at the end would then feature 16 of the best pvpers on the server with all classes represented.

There are a number of reason I like this format which are:

- It allows each AC to fight in their own competition and have bragging rights to being the best assassin/shadow or sniper/gunslinger.

- It allows each AC to have a competition of people with similar abilities without being smashed by other classes which they are not suited to fighting against.

- It is hoped that this will encourage people of all AC’s to compete and not just those dominant at duelling (Marauders, Ops etc.).

- The Grand Tournament will only feature the best of each AC and should be a spectacle to watch.

So onto the details.

Advanced class rounds:

An entrance fee of 20k.

Prizes – 1st gets 35% of that total entry money for the AC, 200k from SnX and a spot in the grand tournament.

2nd gets 15% of the total entry money for the AC, 150k from SnX and a spot in the grand tournament.

The remaining 50% of the entry fees goes towards the prize pool for the grand tournament.

Competitors can only enter if they intend to also compete in the grand tournament should they make it.

As many competitors that wish to compete are welcome but only the top two go through to the grand tournament. Registrations and entrance fees need to be made and paid at least 30 minutes prior to the event starting.

The format will be double elimination following a sheet from http://www.printyourbrackets.com and each competitor must do a /roll to determine where they start on the table. If two rolls are equal those two players roll again to determine who rolled higher.

The standard rules that I will mention later will apply.

Grand Tournament details:

Once the competitions for each AC are completed we can move onto the grand tournament.

No entrance fee.

Prizes – 1st gets 70% of that total entry money left (50% from each AC comp) and 1mil from SnX.

2nd gets 30% of that total entry money left (50% from each AC comp) and 500k from SnX.

This will follow the format of 16 people double elimination using a sheet from the website mentioned above. Competitors will do a roll as done in the previous round to see where they start. If a winner from an AC competition is unable to make the final it is up to SnX’s discretion as to who to put in the tournament in their place but it must be someone of the same AC.

Housekeeping:

Total cost for SnX = 4.3mil (350k x 8 for the AC competitions and 1.5mil for the grand tournament).

Timing would be over a number of weeks, perhaps 2-4 AC’s per week and then the final competition in the week after. I also think that the last competition suffered from a lack of people knowing about it. Therefore I recommend an extensive 2 week advertising campaign before the contest starts.

Perhaps a way to do the timing may be as follows:

Week 1&2 – Significant advertising

Week 3 – Monday AC1 & AC2, Thursday AC3 & AC4

Week 4 – Monday AC5 & AC6, Thursday AC7 & AC8

Week 5 – Thursday or Sunday – Grand Tournament

Advertising could consist of:

- Letting the main guild leaders know about the tournament.

- A forum post which also lists those who are registered, a full timetable of events and results of competitions included the draw followed for transparency.

- A post on reddit linking it to the main forum post.

- Guildies letting other pvpers know about the competition in warzones that they are in.

Referees - There will be 2 referee's present at the Duelling Tournament one representing each faction. They will monitor the Duel for any breach of the rules and administer any penalties. They will also help to inform all present at the Tournament what is going on, who is requested to begin there Duel and release ruling's on breaches of the rules and losses of Duel's.

The Duelling Tournament will not be held in either Outlaw's Den or Illum we are currently reviewing areas suitable for the Tournament and have a few excellent locations but will continue scouting out the best possible form of an arena. What we are looking for is an area that allows spectators, has pillars and a Line of Sight option as well as a relatively wide open space. (WoW arena style options)

Also note to help the referee's members of SnX will help with announcements and the running of the event.

Rules:

- Specs can be changed at free will.

- No Medpacks (results in loss of current duel).

- No Adrenals (results in loss of current duel).

- No Companions (results in loss of current duel).

- No Grenades (results in loss of current duel).

- In the case of any Duel the bout can go no longer than 5 minutes at the end of the time limit the winner will be decided by a /roll.

- A competitor must be ready to start their duel within three minutes of being called to the arena. (Not abiding by this will result in the loss of the current duel. After which the referee's will announce that you lost the fight and may call your second/third bout which would have its own three minute timer).

- No help from outside players at all.

- You can only enter the Tournament on 1 class, choose wisely.

- There will be no restrictions on Gear.

Timing will be over a number of weeks, perhaps 2-4 AC’s per week and then the final competition in the week after.

The day’s we are looking at running these AC Tournaments and then eventually the Grand Tournament would be a Sunday which seems best suited to meet those from foreign countries and Australian time zones.

Give us your input.

Edited by Aztang

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In-summary:

- 20k entrance fee.

- Pick one class to bring into the Tournament.

- Is Sunday the best day for all 8 AC Tournaments and Grand Tournament?

- There will be no restrictions on Gear.

- Starts late January or early February?

Finally 2v2 or 4v4 Tournament to follow the 1v1 Tournament?

Edited by azzhealy

Can't we do a 2v2 type of things like in wow there was 2v2 arena's you could queue for.

2v2 and 4v4 will come later there a bit more complicated to organize and manage but they will come shortly after the Dueling Tournament. Hopefully BW implement its own Arena system so we dont have to organize events like this...

Some points for consideration/clarification...

I guess all gears are allowed? (personally I think mh/oh only will allow more participants).

No medpacks and no adrenals. How about other consumables (e.g. stims and cybertech gadgets)?

How is the no-respec rule administered? The competition is to span multiple weeks. Some people may not even remember their own exact spec. With same AC vs AC, it may just be simpler to let player freely respec.

I assume it is held at the dueling pit in outlaw den. So vanish rocket boot is not a concern.

Thats all for now. Thanks to Seraphic Nexus.

Edited by Banegio

:eek:

You stoles my idea!

I'm kidding, you probably didn't. :p

We ran a similar thing on Gav recently so thought I'd post a few tips that we found.

Make the group sizes as small as possible, so it's easier to manage.

Allow medpacs, adrenals etc. Reason being, it makes it incredibly hard to manage otherwise. For instance, how would people know if I as a shadow tank, use a medpac or my Battle Readiness for a small heal? (note, I could not spec the heal component, trigger the skill AND use a medpac at the same time) It's not as if these consumables are that hard to come by, so we left it open and made it all a lot easier for ourselves.

Anyway, if there's anything else feel free to get in touch.

Some points for consideration/clarification...

I guess all gears are allowed? (personally I think mh/oh only will allow more participants).

No medpacks and no adrenals. How about other consumables (e.g. stims and cybertech gadgets)?

How is the no-respec rule administered? The competition is to span multiple weeks. Some people may not even remember their own exact spec. With same AC vs AC, it may just be simpler to let player freely respec.

I assume it is held at the dueling pit in outlaw den. So vanish rocket boot is not a concern.

Thats all for now. Thanks to Seraphic Nexus.

Interesting point on the gear being MH/OH only, I will discuss that with the other organizers.

Grenades wont be allowed, as with most things we want quick, fast and skilled duels. This isn't meant to feel like a Warzone with grenades, medpacks and stims.

Adrenal's will be reviewed.

Re-specing rule was added when people had to leave the tournament too return to the fleet to re-spec now that field re-specs are available and if timings on duels are met re-specing should be fine too allow again.

Location will most likely be at outlaws Den but we will have an alternate location ready and known if necessary.

What if one of the duels is going for way to long like a healer vs healer what are you gonna be doing about that if it actually happens.

Healers and Tanks will not be allowed for that reason. We are hoping to hold the Tournament next year giving anyone who wishes to enter it time to choose a preferred class and have the time to gear/learn/adapt in that class, also this Tournament has been made known to the other Australian servers with the intention of allowing them the time to join us on our server or the motivation continue a toon created on our server previously.

:eek:

You stoles my idea!

I'm kidding, you probably didn't. :p

We ran a similar thing on Gav recently so thought I'd post a few tips that we found.

Make the group sizes as small as possible, so it's easier to manage.

Allow medpacs, adrenals etc. Reason being, it makes it incredibly hard to manage otherwise. For instance, how would people know if I as a shadow tank, use a medpac or my Battle Readiness for a small heal? (note, I could not spec the heal component, trigger the skill AND use a medpac at the same time) It's not as if these consumables are that hard to come by, so we left it open and made it all a lot easier for ourselves.

Anyway, if there's anything else feel free to get in touch.

We will have a form of "referee's" on both faction who will have there representing faction member currently dueling targeted to ensure the rules are met if they identify someone breaking the rule, the duel will end and they will receive a loss.

Abilities that heal you through your class or spec are acceptable as you should all have those available to you in your respective class. The AC Dueling part of the Tournament will allow skilled individuals to show there chosen spec and make clear its strengths and weakness's.

Tonight we will discuss these rules and update them as the Guide above was created quite along time ago and is out of date. We will update this shortly and implement any suggestion's we feel would benefit the Tournament.

Please continue adding feedback or providing question's and queries.

Edited by azzhealy

Healers and Tanks will not be allowed for that reason.

This is a bit ridiculous. Disallowing 2 out of 3 roles simply because another solution hasn't been found for the problem is insane, and reduces the impact of what you're trying to do significantly. You're trying to find the best duelists (note; duelists, not the best pvpers, completely different concept) on the server and rewarding them, yet placing restrictions on how they are allowed to spec?

I disagree with tanks being disqualified but not healers, that is just pointless unless they are some sort of healing/dps hybrid. Otherwise you could have duels that could go on for ages because neither can outdps each others heals.

I disagree with tanks being disqualified but not healers, that is just pointless unless they are some sort of healing/dps hybrid. Otherwise you could have duels that could go on for ages because neither can outdps each others heals.

i got half way though agreeing with this then i realised how long a tank vs tank fight might actualy take moreso if they are guardian/juggs, so no pure tanks shouldn't be allowed it should be hybrid or dps in tank stance or if tanks are allowed try to make sure that they never fight it out because lets be honest we don't want 5 min duels of tanks biting and hair pulling each other because they don't have the dps.

as for the healers i do agree but the same point can be made if you only match them against dps a healer can still win (that would be lolz to see) but having healer vs healer is the same as the never ending song if you get what i mean.

Currently any class/spec is welcome we have the time limit in place to prevent against any never ending duels and too remain fair without speculation or rigged referee's we decided the /roll would be the fairest way to decide the winner of those long duels.

Also with the MH/OH only suggestion, we discussed it and believed that some classes would melt to others without there gear and decided to stick with the "wear what you want" policy. Although the MH/OH suggestion is interesting and we will trial it soon.

With gearing there is ample time for those to gear up and mess around with BIS.

If you would like to get involved in the discussion's with the organizer's contact myself or a member of SnX and we can get you on vent to discuss anything you feel necessary.

Please continue with suggestions or request clarification this is all a work in progress until we get closer to the date that the rules are set in stone.

as for the healers i do agree but the same point can be made if you only match them against dps a healer can still win (that would be lolz to see) but having healer vs healer is the same as the never ending song if you get what i mean.

There was one of these tournaments on another server a while back and a heal spec'd operative won it lol.

We will have a form of "referee's" on both faction who will have there representing faction member currently dueling targeted to ensure the rules are met if they identify someone breaking the rule, the duel will end and they will receive a loss.

Abilities that heal you through your class or spec are acceptable as you should all have those available to you in your respective class. The AC Dueling part of the Tournament will allow skilled individuals to show there chosen spec and make clear its strengths and weakness's.

Ok but here's the thing

For shadow tanks getting the heal from Battle Readiness is a talent. When you hit the ability you get the battle readiness buff and the slight health gain.

But lets say I don't put points into that ability, when I then activate it I could also use a medpac for the slight health gain. On my bars, nothing will change that outside people can see and meanwhile those extra two points can be put somewhere else for another gain. Basically, I could cheat without anyone being the wiser.

All I was suggesting is to remove any potential conflicts and possibility of it ending in one massive *****fight by just allowing adrenals and medpacs.

As for not allowing tanks and healers... frankly nuts to that.

Ok but here's the thing

For shadow tanks getting the heal from Battle Readiness is a talent. When you hit the ability you get the battle readiness buff and the slight health gain.

But lets say I don't put points into that ability, when I then activate it I could also use a medpac for the slight health gain. On my bars, nothing will change that outside people can see and meanwhile those extra two points can be put somewhere else for another gain. Basically, I could cheat without anyone being the wiser.

All I was suggesting is to remove any potential conflicts and possibility of it ending in one massive *****fight by just allowing adrenals and medpacs.

As for not allowing tanks and healers... frankly nuts to that.

How much does the talent heal surely if its just a "slight" health gain people will be able to tell the difference from that talent to a Warzone medpac or a Rakata medpac healing from 4-6k

Walsh, Selianne, or Heala will win with my vote on Heala cuz of the class and tripling his 1v1 talent since the last tourney.

So no point entering something thats impossible to win due to class balance in 1v1

You have to remember that Azn has stripped his scoundrel of all its BiS enhancements and put them on his vanguard. Doubt he will enter with his scoundrel due to the need to switch all that **** AGAIN.