Serious question for serious gamers...

Torothin

Don't let it bother you, if someone thinks its worth trying making fun of it. If she likes gaming at all, and star wars as well, ask her to create a character on your account just to see how / if she likes it.

If she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it.

But at least she should accept that you like it and like playing it.

Keep cool!

Edited by Amaradaichi

You are fighting a lost cause.

If they let you play your game then it is a win.

Bottom line you have to respect the things she does that you don't particularly like and she has to do the same for you.

You don't have to do everything together, in fact it is healthy to have your own space.

Anything short of that, get rid of her, cause you will not be happy.

Tell her it's kind of like a sport

If she asks you if you're winning, and such, while you're playing; then it might be easy to get her interested, just sort of explain the game, and/or Star Wars to her a bit and see what happens

If she isn't interested in MMOs, or Star Wars at all, then she probably won't play it though; at least not for an extended period of time

See, it's a complicated problem, with no easy solutions. On the Beta forums, we had a thread going where the OP was having similar problems. A common answer was to tell the gf "at least I'm not out in bars." It was reported to be effective. Additionally, a popular answer was "the more screaming she does in bed, the less she does outside the bed." Your mileage may vary.

Personally, I'd get her to understand the game's value to me and stop making fun of it. She may then get curious and you can get her hooked with minimal effort. But she won't try the game if she's got a sour attitude towards it. Good luck.

I got my last gf to play wow and the only reason she continued to play it was to teach me a lesson on how it felt to be neglected over a game and to force me not to be abke to play it as she hogged the PC. But then my young padawans...I got a gaming laptop and her "little game" backfired.

Bottom line you have to respect the things she does that you don't particularly like and she has to do the same for you.

You don't have to do everything together, in fact it is healthy to have your own space.

Agreed. To each their own.

Also, what kind of 'teasing' are we talking about here? If it's affectionate, or gentle ribbing, she may be trying to coax you to talk about SWTOR in a way that she will understand so that she can understand your hobby. However, if it's more spiteful, you need to tell her it's not on and to respect what you like just as you respect what she likes.

(All of this is written from a female perspective. This is what I would do if I were in a similar situation with my boyfriend.)

Well, first why is she making fun of you? Do you play too much? Play instead of other things that involve her? etc etc, if that is the case need to re-evaluate your priorities OR make a deal with her once you get it out of your system.

If none of the above, well - yes it is possible (how possible is up to the woman in question). My wife used to pick on me for playing MMO's (I think I was playing horizons at the time) and I finally just said "tell you what, you make a character and play. IF you do not like it, or cannot find anything fun about it, I will cut back my play time. Otherwise, you no longer can say anything ;) ). Well, she did. Now she is a top character in my guild, hefty and competent raider and has played everything I have since.

A lot of times they pick because they don't get it or see any value to it or are jealous.

Your other option, which I do anyway because while I am a dedicated gamer and have been for over 2 decades, I do see recognize it is ultimately a waste of time and kind of silly - but I still enjoy it! I will actually pick on myself from time to time when faced with a gaming-neophyte. Takes their ammo away and we move onto other topics ;)

Good luck to you!

How do I get my girlfriend to not make fun of me for playing SWTOR and is it possible to get her to play as well? How? Discuss!

Whaa?

First of all...how old are you and your girfriend? I'm guessing you and her are young if she " makes fun of you for playing TOR"

She has no business making fun. It's a different time. 20 years ago this was " nerd stuff", now it's " cool to be a nerd". sci- fi, and fantasy are main stream now. A lot, or most people like some form of fantasy or sci-fi, where as 20 years ago it was a quieter " nerdier" thing.

What is a "nerd"? There's not really any such thing. It's just people being jack wagons, and thinking their likes and dislikes are superior.

20 years ago, the music, and the way guys dress these days would get you beat up. ( Justin Timberlake / back street boys, or what have you.)

Now, guys dress like pretty boys,and listen to that crap. ( I realize I'm being a hypacrite as far as what I said above about jackwagons, but on this point I won't budge :p The music industry, and current fashion is a unfortunate joke :( )

Things change.

Edited by Your_dominus

Grow up and be confident enough in yourself to do what makes you happy. That's a start.

My little sister said the other day to me(a gamer...obviously) that she hopes any guys she dates have outgrown gaming and that it was one of the reasons she dumped her ex.

I rolled my eyes at her and said no one "outgrows" gaming and it has nothing to do with age. I left it at that.

Some girls/women want to look at it as immaturity, but I have my own opinions about them slathering makeup on their face(yet I keep them to myself).

Immaturity is forming opinions about others based on a hobby imo. Some of the most successful people in the world are online gamers. Some of the most worthless people in the world are self-absorbed "hotties" who spend hours applying makeup(both men and women), buying clothes, and drinking poison(alcohol) hoping to find "the one" by bed hopping in a drunken stupor.

Do what makes you happy! Understand?

One day you'll be on your deathbed with only the knowledge that you enjoyed a happy life doing the things you wanted to do. If you do only what someone else wants you to do you will not be happy. It's cool to imagine being some superstar or the life of the party but the fact of the matter most will never make it there.

Any woman who wants you to stop gaming is still trying to live that childish dream of "success" through "The Secret" and sees your gaming as something that holds you back.

That said if you have someone in your life and responsibilities it's best to game in moderation. Like I said successful people are gamers too, they just happen to pencil their gaming into their schedule. Put pen to paper.

I wouldn't try to get your girlfriend to be a gamer if she doesn't want to be. Best to just show her you can manage your time and put her first when she wants to spend time with you.

Sorry if this turned into a long rant but I get tired of the idea that gaming is bad and everyone should be focused on working out, drinking alcohol, and becoming a business tycoon. Too many people are searching for something that will never come to them. I live my fantasies through gaming and enjoy my real life knowing I can be satisfied with an "average" life.

I'd say look at this from two angles:

- Gaming side:

Does she game at all? If not, I think this game is a good introduction. It is easy to get the hang of, the stories are compelling, and everyone knows at least a little bit about Star Wars. If she isn't familiar with it, though, don't make fun of -her-! ;)

Watch the original trilogy with her to set the mood (have a movie night together, cuddling on the sofa), then tell her about what you enjoy about this game: do you like the social aspect of working with friends to achieve goals? Are you interested in the stories? Do you enjoy the competition of PVP? Show her why -you- like the game.

Then, the next step would be to try to involve her, so you can share this activity (not necessarily always playing together, but some of the time):

Try to figure out what might interest her: is she creative/a reader? She might enjoy roleplaying in game. Is she goal-oriented? She might enjoy PVE raiding. Does she like the thrill of competition? Maybe PVP would be interesting for her.

This could become a fun activity that you guys enjoy together! :)

- Relationship side:

Make sure to show her that she is a priority for you. I.e. playing on your own time is fine, but if your girlfriend comes over and you ignore her all night to play your game... it might be time to look at how much you value your relationship.

If she really has zero interest in gaming, you might want to have a "me" night for the both of you. I.e. a weekly night where she goes out with her friends, and you play or do whatever else interests you. And be sure to also plan "just the two of you" nights too!

Who knows, your girlfriend might end up loving this game too, and this shared activity could strengthen your relationship. Present it like that to your girlfriend, and she is likely going to be happy that you want to involve her. Heck, I tried my first MMORPG a few years ago so I could play with my videogame-obsessed ex (of course he ended up hating WoW and MMORPGs in general because you had to interact with people *mock shudder*... but that's another story LOL His loss, my gain, I love MMORPGs now!).

If she does end up starting up gaming for you, maybe you can also join in an interest of hers as well (Is she a movie nerd? Go with her to see that foreign movie she wants, and give it an honest try before thinking you'll hate it. Does she love going to clubs? Try hitting the dance floor with her once in a while - you might have fun!)

Best of luck!

P.S. If she never gamed before, starting from scratch can be intimidating, so be sure to be supportive/helpful, and not to make fun of her for being a newbie. She'll be impressed by your kindness/support -and- she will improve as a gamer, so that is a win-win for you! :)

Edited by Olinore

Never turn a non-gamer girl into gamer girl.

At the very least, I guarantee that a lot of your guildies who you call friends will be hitting on her in PMs. Hitting on her, sexually explicit messages, sending pics of their junk if they have her phone number, white knighting her whenever you and her have an argument, trying to break you guys up so they can move in, etc.

Plus, she'll realize that she can have any gamer guy she wants. All she has to do is show him a little bit of attention and he'll think she's in love with him. The second you guys have an argument is the second she flirts with a new gamer friend and if they haven't started moving in already, that will kick it off.

About the "junk pictures" and all... (that made me laugh xD) You might want to have a "stranger danger" conversation with your girl, and remind her not to share real world details online (real name, phone number, birth date, any identifying info, etc.). Both to avoid identity theft and enterprising males. *chuckles* Creating a gaming email other than her regular one might be an idea too, if need be (though honestly, there is no real need to share contact info with strangers in an MMO in the first place: PMs, in-game mail and guild forums do the job).

As a girl and a now gaming wife of a gamer:

Find the dork in her. It might be burried deep inside and it may be small (resist that's what she said joke, I must resist...).

One night after talking to my, at the time boyfriend about our childhoods I was telling him how my favorite games were, in a sense- role playing games. Barbies, house, school, etc. Things started building and before we knew it I discovered the role player that was always hiding inside.

If your GF is the same way- appeal to that. Work with her girliness. Not against it. Don't come off too desperate to have her play. It might take a while. Take it slow. Would she like to think of a character- ok, it sounds cheesey- but write a short story together. Get those roleplaying juices flowing.

Don't have in your head "guys play, girls don't" - cause that will be a big hurdle that doesn't need to be there.

Also- she may feel like your play time is valuable time away from her and she may feel she has to compete (which is ridiculous, but hey sometimes girls are silly like that). Be consistent in showing her you value her time. Listen to her when she speaks. That's a long process in itself- but once she gets more comfortable in understanding and realizing that you value her opinions, thoughts, etc she may be more willing to loosen the reigns.

Just my 2 cents- good luck!