clone wars S05E015

turnoverla-page

You bring up great points, but every time Maul blocked a incoming blaster bolt with his lightsaber, ducked or pivoted out of the way of an attack, he was relying on the Force. In addition, every time he used Force Jump or was able to shrug off an explosion during the fight he was obviously calling on the Force.

So while Maul didn't use Telekinesis, he was certainly using the Force. He was also using the Force to a considerable degree that I would call it cheating. He also needed to rely on it. If he didn't use it he probably would of been killed out right.

Does this mean Maul is weak ? No.

However, Maul certainly did not win with just melee prowess. In a true, non force using melee battle, Pre Vizsla would of more then likely won, and won quickly.

I don't see how you can make that extrapolation that Vizsla would beat Maul easily without the force in a true melee battle this would mean just Visla with the Dark Saber and No Mandalorian armour and gadgets - as Visza was using them a lot the break the flow of the hand to hand - Vizsla got kicked to the floor in the First exchange and then started using his jetpack, blaster and other gadgets from then.......

Sure Maul does have force enhanced reflexes - but to what degree would he need them against Viszla using NO gadgets? He is still a master of Saber technique and Teras Kasi - Maul is also certainly more naturally agile and flexible than Visla - and certainly showed better and more versatile melee technique

In the end Maul after being disarmed was confident enough to take on Viszla unarmed (could have easily called his saber back to him but chose not to) and outmanouvered him with a lock, disarmed him/slammed him on the floor and after that Viszla had no fight left and pretty much accepted his defeat........

Maul didn't use that many force powers against Obi Wan and Qui Gon Jin in Episode 1 either, besides opening the blast doors by throwing a explosive barrel at the control panel I don't think he used any obvious ones

if you think about it nobody in the films really used that much force powers and certainly not in abundance....

the Clone Wars are a different medium however and force powers are used a lot more in this series than in the films and this definitely includes Maul as well - as in previous weeks you have seen him use force choke/grip and force push quite a lot - certainly enough to indicate that if he would have used them against Viszla if he chose to go down that route - he certainly had opportunities to do so in that fight.....

However, Maul certainly did not win with just melee prowess. In a true, non force using melee battle, Pre Vizsla would of more then likely won, and won quickly.

But if Maul didn't have the Force, he wouldn't be a Sith... so Pre Vizla's triumph over him would be meaningless. He would just be some guy trained to wield a lightsaber. What I mean to say is Maul's prowess in the Force is part of who he is, and part of his strength. It's not a weapon, or external thing, its part of him. So taking away the Force would be taking away Maul. If anything the Force is part of his melee prowess.

Still this could partly be due to Maul's unfamiliarity with a single-bladed lightsaber, however we should also note concerning Force powers that Maul favoured 'pure, physical victory' which could be the real reason why he didn't apply Force choke, push etc.

However I still believe saying Maul would have lost without Force powers is counter-intuitive, that's putting Maul at a distinct disadvantage, and giving Vizla and advantage, before the fight has already begun. Its not a level playing field. The only way to balance this would be to take away all Vizla's weaponry, gadgets and armour, except his darksaber. And if Pre Vizla had been stripped of his weapons and armour, while Maul kept the Force, Maul would have won, and won quickly. Do you see my point?

However if Maul and Vizla fought without the Force, without extra weapons/gadgets, and without armour. Just saber to saber, Vizla would have lost. Without that jetpack he's toast.