Legacy Family Tree types

siegeshot

Hello. Here is a thread to recommend new legacy family tree types.

Based on the RP I'm doing I wanted to suggest another one. I don't want to spoil his story and stuff, and don't have anywhere to write it anyway, but here is the recommendation.

Alias - Someone leading multiple "lives" (characters). Basically means two characters are really the same person living under multiple names.

Here are the current family tree types for your convenience.

*Siblings

*Spouses

*Adopted children

*Children

*Rivals

*Allies

Here is my idea for Legacy types...

http://www.swtor.com/community/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3631544

Legacy: House? Order? Society? Clan?

With patch 1.2 close to landing, we are going to see more additions to the Legacy system in this game. While Legacy is a really fun perk in this game that allows for lots of additional playing features, there are some that feel the way it is implemented and some of the mechanics involved slightly miss the mark for them in certain ways, immersion and believably being a factor in this, especially those that share their Legacy between Imperial and Republic characters, and those that share between various races.

Now one way I feel that more immersion in this system can possibly be attained is by exploring the possibility of implementing different styles of legacy and new ways in which our characters can be linked or associated with one another. Such as societies, clubs, clans and the like that could be a great RP way to explain abilities attained by secret order rituals, trained abilities, or any other involvement.

The following are just a few other fun connections that could possibly be added to the legacy mechanic to achieve this, with some fun examples attached:

Clan: Wolf Clan, Clan Jade Falcon

House: House Atreides, House Organa

Society: Dead Poet’s Society, Society of Uncompromising Men

Club: Fight Club, The Joy Luck Club

Gang: The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Peanuts Gang

Order: The Golden Order, Order of the Phoenix

Dynasty: Ming Dynasty, The Oilers Dynasty

Connection: CanAm Connection, The French Connection

Squad: Havoc Squad, Rogue Squadron

Of: Robin of Loxley, Anne of Avonlea

Legacy is a really important and integral part of who our characters are and how they interact in our MMORPG universe here in SW:TOR and simply making picking Legacy names a quick afterthought in the way it is setup may not be the most effective way to achieve the desired effect for the immersion many are looking for in this game.

Possibly by adding numerous other group description options, that we can pick from that note how our toons are interconnected, can go a long way to reach the desired effect of the Legacy system.

Totally agree. Along those lines think about this.

The Free Mason's Guild

The Knight's Templar

Robin Hood's Merry Men

Those are a few of ye olden times. But more recently in history there are tightknit groups of 'slicers' that call themselves various things, and also large large music groups/collaberations come to mind. Also you have all of the various criminal syndicates that treat themselves like gigantic families but not all of them are directly related..

People come together for all kinds of reasons, get very close, and become communities within themselves.

So.. The legacy system is great, but I agree it's partially missing the mark of how expansive it could be.

My legacy is "Paladin" so it says, "The Paladin Legacy" but I don't have any way to integrate that into anything and it just looks like all of my guys are named Lancer Paladin, Throttle Paladin.. So it achieves somewhat of the effect I was going for but..

It's frustrating to explain. A lot of groups are aliases, friends, or blood brothers, god fathers, etc.

A big portion of the help could come from if we had a place to explain our character's personal story, and a place to explain our legacy's story. And be able to network our legacy with other players and our companions...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, well, "allies" and "rivals" sound so horribly neutral. Can we have friends and enemies, too? Blood brothers/sisters? And what about the rest of the family? Aunts? Uncles? Cousins?

Some method of indicating that, say, one's Bounty Hunter has made it their life's work to catch that one elusive bounty, who happens to be another of your characters? Or that one's Dark Sider Agent is investigating one's Light Sider Sith? (Or Light Sider Trooper investigating a Dark Sider Jedi. Or any number of other possibilities.) (All of these might actually be covered by the relationship "hunting," now that I think about it.)

What about characters who are slaves/former slaves of another character? (Consider that Sith Inquisitors begin as slaves.) Characters who were mentored by another character (or used to be Master and Apprentice, etc)? Used to (or still do) belong to the same gang?

Yeah, I don't really get the point of this at all. It serves no purpose at all. Also, many characters get married to companions, but they can't be a spouse, etc. I just don't get it at all. It's nothing more than something to stare at for no other reason than to stare.

This would have made sense if the family tree could work with other players. Then you have something interesting.

I'd like to see more choices for legacy family tree connections, too. It is a really neat feature, but rather limited IMHO. Some great suggestions in this thread! A few connections I think would be good to have available:

- Adopted sibling (for if you are not making characters of the parents)

- Aunt/Uncle

- Cousin

- Mentor

- Slave (could add a strike-through for former slave, for Inquisitors especially)

Or maybe adding optional text-based family tree entries for such non-character family members would help -- for example, instead of creating an "adopted sibling" link, people are allowed to create a blank text-only entry that they can fill in themselves.

Sigh. I can't believe I didn't think of this. That would fix about 75% of my issues with the legacy trees.

Then if you can connect to other players (if they consent) and your companions I think this thing'd be golden.

Or maybe adding optional text-based family tree entries for such non-character family members would help -- for example, instead of creating an "adopted sibling" link, people are allowed to create a blank text-only entry that they can fill in themselves.

Oh, hey, that's a great idea!

We need to be able to have a more free-form approach to linkage as well.

My Inquisitor is my Smuggler's long-lost sister- while both my Imperial Agent and my Jedi Knight are cousins to them both and each other... but, since the family lived on Balmorra before they were torn apart before the Inquisitor was born, the Smuggler would also very much like to hunt down and get revenge on the mysterious psychotic Sith Queen who came out of nowhere to tear the Balmorran resistance apart a few years ago... and it would be quite nice for the Inquisitor to seduce the Knight to the dark side as well!

I still haven't touched my family tree. The functionality doesn't even remotely come close to what my RP tree is. It would basically need a fully custom system. I have a character with an alias dating a companion with an alias, another character dating a mando companion that is a guildmate of the first character. A third character who is a guildmate with a pet rakling that follows him around for rp reasons I haven't come up with yet.

None of that is supported, so I'm not touching the family system. So I really want to keep this visible. The system needs to be fully customizable and also either linkable (with permission) to other players or give us placeholders and hope that people don't make theirs weird enough to make other players uncomfortable...

Please subscribe if you can an keep bumped within reason so this idea can stay visible. :)

Edited by siegeshot

Here is my idea for Legacy types...

http://www.swtor.com/community/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=3631544

Legacy: House? Order? Society? Clan?

With patch 1.2 close to landing, we are going to see more additions to the Legacy system in this game. While Legacy is a really fun perk in this game that allows for lots of additional playing features, there are some that feel the way it is implemented and some of the mechanics involved slightly miss the mark for them in certain ways, immersion and believably being a factor in this, especially those that share their Legacy between Imperial and Republic characters, and those that share between various races.

Now one way I feel that more immersion in this system can possibly be attained is by exploring the possibility of implementing different styles of legacy and new ways in which our characters can be linked or associated with one another. Such as societies, clubs, clans and the like that could be a great RP way to explain abilities attained by secret order rituals, trained abilities, or any other involvement.

The following are just a few other fun connections that could possibly be added to the legacy mechanic to achieve this, with some fun examples attached:

Clan: Wolf Clan, Clan Jade Falcon

House: House Atreides, House Organa

Society: Dead Poet’s Society, Society of Uncompromising Men

Club: Fight Club, The Joy Luck Club

Gang: The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Peanuts Gang

Order: The Golden Order, Order of the Phoenix

Dynasty: Ming Dynasty, The Oilers Dynasty

Connection: CanAm Connection, The French Connection

Squad: Havoc Squad, Rogue Squadron

Of: Robin of Loxley, Anne of Avonlea

Legacy is a really important and integral part of who our characters are and how they interact in our MMORPG universe here in SW:TOR and simply making picking Legacy names a quick afterthought in the way it is setup may not be the most effective way to achieve the desired effect for the immersion many are looking for in this game.

Possibly by adding numerous other group description options, that we can pick from that note how our toons are interconnected, can go a long way to reach the desired effect of the Legacy system.

While I like the basic premise of this, it's hard to take someone seriously when they talk about immersion and believability and then suggest the names of things from Dune, Battletech/Mechwarrior, Harry Potter, and a dozen other very obviously non-star-wars sources. Personally, I'd strangle the first person I saw running around with "of House Atreides" attached to their name (the fact that there's a Muad'dib on my server is aggravating enough).

Well, I can't actually strangle them, but I'd definitely type /rude at them in caps.

Would really appreciate the following entries:

[Tree_Links_Sugestion]

• Separate last name from legacy name & have different last names for characters.
  • More than one legacy tree per server, with ability to link them
  • Link legacies to characters of others players
  • Adopted sibling (for if you are not making characters of the parents)
  • Aunt/Uncle
  • Cousin
  • Mentor or Master
  • Slave (could add a strike-through for former slave, for Inquisitors especially)
  • Friends (vs Ally)
  • Enemies (vs Rival)

Now I noticed there's a "bug" with the actual system: unless you are linking characters to the edges or the legacy tree you can only have them linked as child or adopted child. Meaning we are limited to flat legacies.

Ex: we can't have relations in which a character is an ally to another, a rival to a second one and a spouse of a third one.

• So step one would be to remove the limitation of only having Add as child or Adopted child in the middle of the tree.
  • Then step 2 would be allow players to draw as many relations between theirs characters as they want. I.e not limiting us to 2 + child(s) relations.

Edited by Deewe

Would really appreciate the following entries:

[Tree_Links_Sugestion]

• Separate last name from legacy name & have different last names for characters.
  • More than one legacy tree per server, with ability to link them
  • Link legacies to characters of others players
  • Adopted sibling (for if you are not making characters of the parents)
  • Aunt/Uncle
  • Cousin
  • Mentor or Master
  • Slave (could add a strike-through for former slave, for Inquisitors especially)
  • Friends (vs Ally)
  • Enemies (vs Rival)

I really really like your suggestions. The only one I would add is it needs "Alias of" definitely. I'm also inclined to have a "Unaware of Existence."