Pre-Mitigation DtPS for Nightmare Dread Palace

KeyboardNinja

Inspire by Zahik's awesome thread from Dread Fortress, here is a far less statistically valid knock-off. Hopefully some other tanks will weigh in with their data and help clean up the dataset. For now though, you're basically just stuck with my logs. And by "logs" I mean "log". I wanted to wait until my guild had cleared Council before pursuing this effort, but as anyone who has pulled that boss knows, it's a long slog. Oh well, it's a work in progress.

Logs

Analysis

I used my tank log analysis script on each of the kills from my log above. Ignore the health histogram bit, since it is bugged. Also note that the analysis script does not account for AoE abilities or the extra DR from hybrid. Additionally note that the analysis script doesn't attempt to compensate for active cooldowns and the like. That's something that I could probably do if people were really interested, but for now, these numbers are most valid if you happen to use your defensives in a pattern very similar to mine (e.g. I have a cooldown up 100% of the time when I have agro on Tyrans, with no exceptions).

Anyway, here are the results:

Honestly, things really are not all that different from hard mode, except that the DtPS is up by an insane percentage. Tyrans, for example, has a pre-mitigation DtPS of 4643.5 without adjusting for cooldowns and without accounting for the fact that I only have agro on him 50% of the time! That's insane. That means that, when I have agro on the boss, I'm probably taking pretty close to 8k DtPS pre-mitigation and pre-cooldowns. I mean, it's really cool that bioware is adding bosses which really put tank mitigation to the test, but holy crud on a cracker…

To facilitate checking and further refining these numbers, I use the following pattern for my cooldowns on each boss:

• Bestia - No CDs until third monster, then Cloak followed by Battle Readiness. Deflection when taking Bestia, and Resilience to cheese every other Swelling Despair. Adrenal as needed in third phase. Battle Readiness into Deflection in soft enrage.
  • Tyrans - Nothing on initial pull. Every time I take agro after that, Resilience for first Thundering Blast. Two GCDs later, Blackout. At end of Inferno cast, either Battle Readiness or Deflection. Adrenal as needed.
  • Calphayus - Nothing on initial pull. Every time I have agro after first past/future phases, Deflection or Battle Readiness depending on which is up.
  • Raptus - Resilience to cheese Execution whenever it's up, except for following second challenge or Spinning Attack, where I cheese Driving Thrust instead. Blackout on Execution whenever Resilience is down. Deflection when cotank gets lots. Battle Readiness as needed and to assist with Blackout taking an enraged Force Execution if needed.

There are probably better ways to apply certain CDs (I could be more aggressive in Bestia, for example), but this is the rough idea. If you want to go through my logs and factor out the cooldowns, this should give you a rough idea of where to look.

Results

Bestia

• DtPS = 4797.96
  • M/R+K/E = 58.92%
  • F/T+K/E = 38.75%
  • F/T+I/E = 2.33%

Abilities

• Swipe (Dread Monster) - 4454 x 48 (m/r+k/e)
  • Squash (Dread Monster) - 12147 x 38 (m/r+k/e)
  • Dread Strike (Dread Master Bestia) - 3510 x 36 (m/r+k/e)
  • Assault (Dread Master Bestia) - 7662 x 77 (m/r+k/e)
  • Swat (Dread Larva) - 5395 x 15 (m/r+k/e)
  • Pulverize (Dread Monster) - 20248 x 17 (f/t+k/e)
  • Dread Charge (Dread Master Bestia) - 19536 x 1 (f/t+k/e)
  • Dread Scream (Dread Master Bestia) - 12771 x 26 (f/t+k/e)
  • Swelling Despair (Dread Master Bestia) - 27291 x 6 (f/t+k/e)
  • Expectorate (Dread Larva) - 7413 x 8 (f/t+i/e)

Tyrans

Adjusting Thundering Blast manually for the 30% AoE DR. Oh, and I appeared to get hilariously lucky on Affliction and never took it, even once.

• DtPS = 4643.51
  • M/R+K/E = 75.84%
  • F/T+K/E = 24.16%
  • F/T+I/E = 0%

Abilities

• Shock (Dread Master Tyrans) - 6447 x 212 (m/r+k/e)
  • Smash (Dread Master Tyrans) - 10917 x 13 (f/t+k/e)
  • Thundering Blast (Dread Master Tyrans) - 24467 x 12 (f/t+k/e)

Calphayus

• DtPS = 2531.94
  • M/R+K/E = 84.74%
  • F/T+K/E = 5.91%
  • F/T+I/E = 9.35%

Abilities

I stand in the purple circles, because our healer asked me to ease her boredom…

• Force Charge (Dread Master Calphayus) - 20040 x 2 (m/r+k/e)
  • Strike (Dread Master Calphayus) - 4093 x 235 (m/r+k/e)
  • Inevitability (Dread Master Calphayus) - 10476 x 3 (f/t+k/e)
  • Overload (Dread Master Calphayus) - 4804 x 8 (f/t+k/e)
  • Inevitable Decay (Dark Growth) - 3351 x 33 (f/t+i/e)

Raptus

Didn't adjust any of these abilities, because I cooldown so many of them. Help?

• DtPS = 3753.85
  • M/R+K/E = 67.63%
  • F/T+K/E = 27.88%
  • F/T+I/E = 4.48%

Abilities

• Slash Attack (Dread Master Raptus) - 10308 x 81 (m/r+k/e)
  • Rising Slash (Dread Master Raptus) - 59288 x 6 (m/r+k/e)
  • Force Wave (Dread Master Raptus) - 6255 x 19 (f/t+k/e)
  • Force Execution (Dread Master Raptus) - 49547 x 4 (f/t+k/e)
  • Driving Thrust (Dread Master Raptus) - 43465 x 4 (f/t+k/e)
  • Berserker Curse (Doomed Captive) - 922 x 80 (f/t+i/e)
  • Spinning Attack (Dread Master Raptus) - 1035 x 5 (f/t+i/e)

Are DTPS values what you'd get if every hit didn't miss, get shielded, and didn't have any damage reduction applied? Or do they already incorporate base boss miss%?

The pre-mitigation DtPS values are defined as what would happen if the boss never missed, you never shielded, and your damage reduction was reduced to 0%. Thus, you should be able to take these values, incorporate baseline boss miss chance, your defense, shield and absorb percentages and your damage reduction to compute a reasonable expected post-mitigation DtPS on that boss.

The biggest caveat with the above is that I didn't remove defensive CDs. This throws off the numbers a lot on a couple bosses, most notably Tyrans (where I have at least one CD up constantly). If you have a more sophisticated DtPS calculator which compensates for these things, I would much much much rather use it than my hacky Ruby script.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

The pre-mitigation DtPS values are defined as what would happen if the boss never missed, you never shielded, and your damage reduction was reduced to 0%. Thus, you should be able to take these values, incorporate baseline boss miss chance

For the ideal tank stat distribution, are you using a base 90% base hit rate for melee/ranged attacks? The bosses in your log tend to have around 80%-60% total miss rates on most attacks, so probably ~50% base hit rate on most melee attacks.

@Raptus : Slash Attack, Force Wave, Force Execution,Driving thrust and berserker curse are aoe's and are therfore subject to you hybrid 30% aoe dmg reduction.

I am not sure whether spinning attack is an aoe or not. But given the fact that you only took 1k per hit i guess it is an aoe.

For the ideal tank stat distribution, are you using a base 90% base hit rate for melee/ranged attacks? The bosses in your log tend to have around 80%-60% total miss rates on most attacks, so probably ~50% base hit rate on most melee attacks.

For the ideal tank stat distribution, I'm using a hit rate of 100% for 25% of m/r damage and 90% for 75% of the damage. This seemed to line up pretty well with HM DF/DP, at least based on some cursory work that Zahik and I did. A lot of that number was skewed by Nefra, which is 100% m/r damage and is all low-accuracy.

As for my miss rate, it does seem very oddly high. I'll check my script to make sure that I'm calculating things correctly (third-party verification welcomed!). I would expect my miss rate to be somewhere around the following pre-cooldowns:

0.2490 + 0.05 + 0.1*0.75 = 37.40%

Now, my cotank is a vanguard, and he is using Riot Gas extensively, so inflate that up to around 40%. I'm not using defense-based cooldowns that often, so I think 40% should be about right. Bestia fits that profile (which is reassuring, since it's the longest fight), but Raptus and Tyrans are just obscene outliers. I mean, maybe Shock is lower accuracy than I thought but…Raptus?! Something is screwy.

@Raptus : Slash Attack, Force Wave, Force Execution,Driving thrust and berserker curse are aoe's and are therfore subject to you hybrid 30% aoe dmg reduction.

I am almost positive that Slash Attack is not an AoE. Perhaps you're thinking of Deadly Slash? Do you have a log which demonstrates this, one way or another? (incidentally, my cotank is uploading his logs, which should give us a bit more data)

Execution, Wave, Thrust and the curse are definitely AoEs though. I should just suck it up and do the math on those abilities to get more accurate results.

I am not sure whether spinning attack is an aoe or not. But given the fact that you only took 1k per hit i guess it is an aoe.

More than likely, yes. It at least looks like an AoE. The only way to be absolutely sure though is to throw a Powertech into it and see if they get healed.

Excellent work as always KeyboardNinja!

Thanks!

I've gone in with high absorb / shield on my jugg on Tyrans, but looking at your numbers - should I be going with defense since shock is the most frequent attack?

Yeah, that's a good question. Shield/absorb is going to help you a lot more on Thundering Blast, obviously. However, as a Jugg, you're simply not going to be able to pick up enough shield/absorb to make much of a difference. I would gear for the fight according to the damage distributions, straight-up. That is to say, according to the mid-M/R profile in my Ideal Tank Stats post.

I really wish Tyrans weren't so biased in favor of assassins and against juggs, but that's another rant…

Edited by KeyboardNinja

I wouldn't mind seeing an "AoE %" stat so I can know if its worth running the ephimeral mending relic + tactics spec for some fights (like what happens in brontes)...

Get analysing dem VG logs!

Also I like how the graph for bestia says you died at the 100 second mark, but then went on to drop as low as -100khp :p

Edited by TACeMossie

I wouldn't mind seeing an "AoE %" stat so I can know if its worth running the ephimeral mending relic + tactics spec for some fights (like what happens in brontes)...

Get analysing dem VG logs!

Also I like how the graph for bestia says you died at the 100 second mark, but then went on to drop as low as -100khp :p

If either you or KBN could explain the bestia graph for me I'd appreciate it, I really don't understand how you can have -113k hp. Was it a graphing error or just how the fight gets recorded?

Also Voting to see an AoE percentage due to my new interest in AP tanking

I am almost positive that Slash Attack is not an AoE. Perhaps you're thinking of Deadly Slash

Yes i meant Deadly slash. Wasnt sure about its name and because i didnt read deadly slash in your listing of raptus but Slash i thought its name was Slash.

for clarification my log of raptus nm ( jugg tank): http://www.torparse.com/a/736549

Note: The log has been splitted into 3 fight no idea why ( maybe bc of the challenge), nevertheless we want to see which attacks the 30% aoe dmg reduction effects.

% of Source Hits Action Total Damage Average Damage/Hit Critical %

0% 1 Rising Slash 0 0 0%

3.66% 2 Spinning Attack 13467 6733.5 0%

5.5% 3 Force Execution 20209 6736.33 0%

6.64% 1 Spinning Attack 24407 24407 0%

11.14% 9 Force Wave 40956 4550.67 0%

13.15% 2 Driving Thrust 48345 24172.5 0%

32.52% 30 Slash Attack 119602 3986.73 0%

More spinning attacks :

24.68% 3 Spinning Attack 49221 16407 0%

Thick market numbers is the average dmg per attack

For comparison Tam's log :

2.23% 4 Spinning Attack 11797 2949.25 0%

3.79% 4 Spinning Attack 20087 5021.75 0%

Looks like the 30% aoe reduction effects the spinning attack, amongst nearly all attacks of raptus.

Btw. Tam if you want you can use my logs for your calculations, although my raid has other tactics especially @ council than other raids.

Although it was a typo, slash dmg comparison :

Methoxa : 3986 Average dmg per hit

Tam : 2079 Average dmg per hit

I am full absorb/shield mostly 186 with fr+rw

Edited by Methoxa

Methoxa : 3986 Average dmg per hit

Tam : 2079 Average dmg per hit

I am full absorb/shield mostly 186 with fr+rw

I'm full 186 in all mod/armoring/enhancement slots. Missing one implant (currently dread touched) and both relics. Still, the minor gear difference between us doesn't even come close to accounting for a 2k damage per hit difference. I think that is probably stemming from how absurdly lucky I got on dodge for that pull.

When I have time, I will most definitely snag your logs as well as those of my cotank. For the sake of completeness, could you describe your role in your guild's strat on Raptus? Do you main tank him? Off tank? Do you have real lasting tank swaps? Do you stand forward in the challenge? Do you trade off? What cooldowns do you use and when?

I am missing 1 Enhancement, 1 earpiece 1 mainhand for Bis 186

Raptus I use Reflective ward right at the beginning, then the other tank taunts him after force execution.

When we are ported, the other tank takes him until the first pushback attack (Deadly slash), then i taunt him and tank him for approx 25seconds until challenges start.

Challenge : We switch att nearly 50% of challenge time. First i go in front using invincible + enrage defense.

After the challenge i take the boss and kite him until he goes on his throne, when he comes back down i take him, for his force execution i use saber reflect. After its attack i use saber ward. The other tank taunt him after raptus used deadly slash.

Challenge 2 : the same than above

After he goes down i take the boss again, using saber reflect again for his force execution, when raptus drops to approx 35% the other tank taunts to make sure he is the last who is targeted in the whirlwind phase.

After the first whirlwind phase i taunt the boss to position him and to make sure his driving thrust doesnt hit others than me. Here i use invincible. After 10 seconds the other tank taunts him back for the second whirlwind.

After the second whirlwind its the same than above, i taunt to get driving thrust and after a while the other tank taunts.

Offtank is an assasin, healers are operative + merc

For the sake of completeness. I am Tam/KBN's VG cotank.

This is the parse that goes along with the one he posted.

For individual fights:

Bestia- I tank the two monsters on the right in the beginning. I pop riot gas after the tentacle spawns and my position is stable away from them. Reactive shield gets popped when there is about 35s left on the cooldown of riot gas. Riot gas again after second tentacle. Adrenal and medpack as needed for the rest of the fight.

Tyrans- riot gas after 3rd simple goes out/inferno is applied. All other cooldowns as needed.

Calphayus- Left portal first. Final phase Tam guards me and I stall attacking boss until last second. Drag him to get exploded. Kite him while waiting for next seed.

Raptus- Taunt if Tam gets punted or drops below %40 health. Drop riot gas after the execution that follows cursing. Drop guard on way to challenge and get guarded by Tam. Stand in front for entire challenge, use reactive shield and shoulder cannon during challenge. Repeat as necessary and hope Tam doesn't decide to "accidentally" let me keep Raptus to find out if spinning attack actually is an AE attack. After second challenge pop riot gas after every execution when it is up.

Edited by Muert

there is a small comment i want to make on bestia:

The most crucial part in this fight is the beginning, when you have 4 adds on the field. This requires one tank taking 3 of the adds and the other tank taking 1 add. Usually in our raid the tank who takes the 3 adds was a sin with a hybrid build. Now i had to take them bc our offtank was a pt.

Hybrid sins take approx. 700-1000 dtps less than any other tank in that phase.

The skill prioritization of kbn shows :

Swipe (Dread Monster) - 4454 x 48 (m/r+k/e)

Squash (Dread Monster) - 12147 x 38 (m/r+k/e)

Dread Strike (Dread Master Bestia) - 3510 x 36 (m/r+k/e)

Assault (Dread Master Bestia) - 7662 x 77 (m/r+k/e)

Swat (Dread Larva) - 5395 x 15 (m/r+k/e)

Pulverize (Dread Monster) - 20248 x 17 (f/t+k/e)

Dread Charge (Dread Master Bestia) - 19536 x 1 (f/t+k/e)

Dread Scream (Dread Master Bestia) - 12771 x 26 (f/t+k/e)

Swelling Despair (Dread Master Bestia) - 27291 x 6 (f/t+k/e)

Expectorate (Dread Larva) - 7413 x 8 (f/t+i/e)

This is for hybrid sins, they take less aoe dmg

for a jugger/pt tank it is :

Pulverize - 11899 x 39

Squash - 6956 x 67

Swipe - 2499 x 159

Dread Scream - 10404 x 26

Assault - 6873 x 48

Swelling Despair - 12789 x 8

Dread Charge - 11098 x 10

Dread Strike - 4619 x 25

Expectorate - 6447 x 3

Swat - 2408 x 24

Burrow - 225 x 5

Now the main difference is the damage of pulverize. Its is quite spike damage and the adds seem to nearly do it synchron. Meaning : Taking three adds = Getting a 3x 10k in a second. The most brutal for this attack is, that this attack can only be shielded, not defended. So there are 2 things the addtank can do :

First equipping defense gear to get less dmg from those attacks that can be defended

Equipping Absorb gear to make the dmg of pulverize lower.

Our sin tank always had defense gear on bc pulverize is not a skill to worry for him.

Tried both things yesterday

Absorb gear seemed to give healers some more time before they really have to heal me, also i was less spiky. In defense gear i didnt receive much dmg but when pulverize hit, i was instantly on 10-20 %.

Noteable that kbn did some bosses with the hybrid spec which means that non hybrid sins/juggers/pts would get other dmg ratios and therefore the ideal tank distribution for them is differently.

In his Dtps calcs kbn did not seem to have taken 2-3 adds. Meaning that either his offtank took 2-3 or they had an tauntdd taking one add. For the calculation of the ideal tank distribution however it seems neccessary to also calculate the bis for the tank who takes 2-3 adds bc as i said in the opening, it is the most crucial part of the fight and not every raid has a tauntdd.

Only equipping for the dmg of Bestia isn't a solution for the 2-3 addtank because :

Dread Monster Percent of total dmg : 57,3 wheras 27,5 % by Pulverize F/T+ K/E

Bestia Percent of total dmg : 39,0 whereas 12,% by Dread Scream F/T + K/E

Those both attacks can only be shielded.

There is another attack by bestia that can only be shielded : Swelling Despair : 5,8

Edit : % are now % of total dmg taken, not anymore % done by the particular mob.

So 45,3% of damage can not be defended.

Kbn :

Bestia

DtPS = 4797.96

M/R+K/E = 58.92%

F/T+K/E = 38.75%

F/T+I/E = 2.33%

Mine :

DtPs = 4797,96

M/R+K/E = 53,25

F/T + K/E = 45,34%

F/T + K/E = 1,41%

Meaning the damage of non defendable attack is atleast as tank with 2-3 adds higher than for a tank with only 1 add. This leads to the conclusion that absorb/shield is very recommended for this fight however kbn results might seem to favour a mixed gear set for Bestia.

Edited by Methoxa

So here for Council :

Abilities :

Melee Attack <Bestia> MR+KE - 1948 x 225

Melee Attack <Styrak> MR+KE - 2403 x 135

Force Push <Bestia> FT+KE -14937x 12

Smash <Raptus> FT+KE - 3382 x 17

Thundering B. <Tyrans> FT+KE - 7288 x 8

Leap Slam <Styrak> FT+KE - 4129 x 5

Jolt <Brontes> FT+KE - 2352 x 9

Shock <Tyrans> MR+KE - 1122 x 20

Rail Volley <Brontes> MR+KE - 1170 x 12

Suffering <Styrak> FT+KE - 2937 x 2

Mass Force Storm <Council> FT+IE- 583 x 8

A little weird on the Mass Force Storm, actually all 4 cast it therefore its dmg has to be multiplied with x4. Also a little correction of numbers was needed, as i was hit by raptus a few times on transition to phase 3. I neglected this dmg here as in a good try you wouldnt be hit by raptus.

MR+KE : 57,50%

FT +KE : 40,85%

FT+IE : 3,65%

Another uncertainty is Bestia's force push. It doesnt seem to be defendable and shieldable, but unless i get clarification if that i will thread it as an FT+KE Attack.

Edited by Methoxa

Force Push is definitely FT/KE.

Regarding Bestia, my cotank takes the two adds. However, we just burn the adds fast enough that we don't really have four on the field except for a very brief moment between adds 2 and 3. I stealth out of add 2 (by which point it's in the 20s) and pick up 3 while 2 goes to one of the Gunslingers by design. It's generally dead before it finishes walking over to them. This strategy makes the doubled-add tank take a lot less damage than he would otherwise, and puts less emphasis on AoE DR. In fact, we found that a hybrid shadow in 180s took more damage than a full-spec vanguard in 186s.

for a jugger/pt tank it is :

Pulverize - 11899 x 39

Squash - 6956 x 67

Swipe - 2499 x 159

Dread Scream - 10404 x 26

Assault - 6873 x 48

Swelling Despair - 12789 x 8

Dread Charge - 11098 x 10

Dread Strike - 4619 x 25

Expectorate - 6447 x 3

Swat - 2408 x 24

Burrow - 225 x 5

So how many of these are classified as AoE? I assume swipe and Expectorate, but are there others? With my recent exploits into AP-ion tanking I'm curious to see how it would hold up with 30% AoE DR, 40sec CD on energy shield, and energy rebounder instead of taking heat blast/oil slick.

Something seems wrong @Tyrans especially his thundering Blast. You predict an incoming dmg of 24k per thundering blast. I am aware that you are playing hybrid, so you manually adjusted it, meaning you took about 18k per hit. Also the shock dmg seems different.

My log :

Thundering Blast : 15364 x 20

Shock : 2679 x 232

Affliction : 6011 x 16

Smash : 4484 x 17

I am at an mixed gear set more towards defense. Setup was Jugger <me> + Pt. Healers where 1 Merc, 1 operative 1 sorcerer

My stats were :

1125 defense, 1020shield, 840 absorb

Shielded 40% of the thunder blast dmg ( so i actually absorbed less than i should've).

Defended 50% of the shocks 20% was shielded ( 50% dodge is not such a big thing for a juggernaut with proper def cd usage)

Edited by Methoxa

Something seems wrong @Tyrans especially his thundering Blast. You predict an incoming dmg of 24k per thundering blast. I am aware that you are playing hybrid, so you manually adjusted it, meaning you took about 18k per hit. Also the shock dmg seems different.

Remember that the numbers I list are pre-armor. I can't remember if you adjusted yours for flat DR or not, but that's probably the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Numbers for Dread Council Nm

Bestia Tank

Abilities :

Melee Attack <Bestia> MR+KE - 1948 x 225

Melee Attack <Styrak> MR+KE - 2403 x 135

Force Push <Bestia> FT/KE -14937x 12

Smash <Raptus> FT+KE - 3382 x 17

Thundering B. <Tyrans> FT+KE - 7288 x 8

Leap Slam <Styrak> FT+KE - 4129 x 5

Jolt <Brontes> FT+Ke - 2352 x 9

Shock <Tyrans> MR+KE - 1122 x 20