Battle of Taris and Balmorra

cjlcw

I was looking at Wookiepedia and it placed the Battle of Taris and the Battle of Balmorra in the Second Great Galactic War. Although, from my understanding of the game the Cold War ended after these battles. From my understanding these battles, along with Quesh, occurred as the peace treaty began to fall apart, but that they weren't necessarily the cause of the second war. I thought this was all of the Act 2 conclusions together. So which is it? Are these two battles really apart of the second war?

I was looking at Wookiepedia and it placed the Battle of Taris and the Battle of Balmorra in the Second Great Galactic War. Although, from my understanding of the game the Cold War ended after these battles. From my understanding these battles, along with Quesh, occurred as the peace treaty began to fall apart, but that they weren't necessarily the cause of the second war. I thought this was all of the Act 2 conclusions together. So which is it? Are these two battles really apart of the second war?

I guess you may consider it a bit similar to the "False War" period, that took place before the actual Mandalorian Wars really kicked in.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

To me Republic Balmorra happens at the beginning of the Second Galactic War because the Republic need to push the Imperials out of the Core Worlds and to resupply their armaments. Same can be said for Imperial Taris since the Republic was close to Sith Space.

You're right about the Battle of Quesh. The Imperial part happens at the end of the Cold War, just before the treaty broke. The Republic retook it afterwards. Although not the main reason for starting the second war, it is a contributing factor.

You're right about the Battle of Quesh. The Imperial part happens at the end of the Cold War, just before the treaty broke. The Republic retook it afterwards. Although not the main reason for starting the second war, it is a contributing factor.

But if that's the case it creates a continuity error. In game Taris and Balmorra happen before Quesh. Granted this puts a lot open warfare during the Cold War. I'd think the Republic attack on Balmorra should have been enough to start the war and we combine this with Taris, followed by Quesh. Then we throw in the stuff on Hoth, which was again more open combat. I guess we could view this as an unofficial start to the war; with both sides fighting each other, but unwilling to admit that they are at war. Maybe, all that the Act 2 class quests did was cause the sides to admit that they were at war.

Wasn't the whole point of Imperial operations on Quesh to force the Republic to abandon the Treaty? I recall a conversation with that Moff from the Imperial planetary story saying something like that.

As for placing events timewise, the Treaty is officially undone at the end of the Trooper's Chapter 2, when Havoc Squad destroys the Gauntlet. When the Trooper returns to SpecForce headquarters of Coruscant, they will see a video message recorded by General Rakton, who, in response to the Gauntlet's destruction, formally declares war on the Republic and all its territories.

The Battle of Balmorra still occures during the Cold War period, considering that there was no open conflict between Republic and Empire there. For the most part, the Empire was fighting local resistance forces there. Those, of course, had unofficial Republic backing and the entire galaxy was aware of that following the storyline on Imperial Balmorra (the whole Grand Marshal Cheketta thing), but that still did not result in open war, not even when Balmorra's "vice-governor", Darth Lachris, was killed by the Consular.

Then we throw in the stuff on Hoth, which was again more open combat. I guess we could view this as an unofficial start to the war; with both sides fighting each other, but unwilling to admit that they are at war. Maybe, all that the Act 2 class quests did was cause the sides to admit that they were at war.

It is exactly that. It's all about walking the fine line between "border disputes" and open warfare. Both sides, the Empire in particular, commit lots of acts that could be very well interpreted as renewed hostile activities, but most of the time, the offended party looks the other way, because everyone oh so values their "peace treaty".

Edited by BenKatarn

The thing is, the treaty was considered dissolved when Taris was attack by Imperials and Balmorra was retaken by the Republic. My guess was the Imperials on Quesh didn't know that the treaty was over, If they had known they would've attack the Republic openly.

Taking class stories into consideration, SW was also involve by doing a preemptive strike on the War Trust and Darth Vengean declaring war.

There are 2 Battle for Balmorra. The first was during the Cold War, the second was considered in the Second Galactic War (the retaking of Balmorra by the Republic).

To me, Hoth was never important to the Republic. They only stayed because they don't want to abandon the planet to the Empire and lose their pride. The Empire takes this advantage by 'bleeding' the Republic slowly.

The thing is, the treaty was considered dissolved when Taris was attack by Imperials and Balmorra was retaken by the Republic. My guess was the Imperials on Quesh didn't know that the treaty was over, If they had known they would've attack the Republic openly.

I'd like a source for that because, well, actual war does not break out until AFTER Chapter 2.

Taking class stories into consideration, SW was also involve by doing a preemptive strike on the War Trust and Darth Vengean declaring war.

That was never in doubt. However, Plan Zero was completed before an actual war broke out, it didn't continue into the war.

the second was considered in the Second Galactic War (the retaking of Balmorra by the Republic).

Again, it occurs during Chapter 2, which is still considered part of the Cold War. I know it would make more sense if it was actually happening during the actual war, but a formal declaration of war doesn't happen until a bit later.

To me, Hoth was never important to the Republic. They only stayed because they don't want to abandon the planet to the Empire and lose their pride. The Empire takes this advantage by 'bleeding' the Republic slowly.

While the Empire wanted to draw out the battle with the Republic there for as long as possible, the prototype technology lost there during the Battle of Hoth is too important to the Republic to let it fall into the hands of Imperials or White Maw pirates. I mean, I've been playing the Consular story this weekend and I cannot imagine the chaos if that Valon guy had actually managed to raise the Star of Coruscant and take command of it.