BW Does not care about solo/story players?!?!

psandak

@IoNonSoEVero,

I saw your post in "call for patience" a thread about RP and server merges. and I just have a comment about a statement you made:

Add to *this*: the fact that the roadmap is basically telling solo/story players that BW doesn't care about them, and all of this together makes for a lot of worry.

BW did nothing but story and solo play for two years, and now they are switching gears to group content and you complain about it?

Before you jump on me as a "hardcore player" who wants nothing but group content, that cannot be further from the truth. I love the story aspect of SWTOR, I love the ability to play solo when I want to. But I also want new and challenging group content.

Edited by psandak

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am solely a story player - and for the love of Mike, it's about dang time the PVE/PVP/starfighter crowd gets some love! :eek: Us story players got two whole years' worth of story. It's more than okay to wait for a while to get more. Yeah, it might be frustrating to wait for story, but it's only fair that other players get what they want, as well.

I feel it's hard for everyone at the moment. The game is not especially focused on any one area, but more balanced so that most people get at least some content. If this means that no one feels totally neglected, that's good. The flip side is that content feels like it's just trickling slowly for everyone.

From my point of view as a solo/story player who returned after a reasonably long hiatus (towards the end of KotFE), it feels absurd to read that people complained about monthly releases of story content. Sure, wouldn't we love monthly story releases now? :( I'm glad that players who got nothing for a long time are getting something now though.

Totally agree. These solo players got spoiled way too much.

The fact is there is no reason they can't do BOTH at the same time.

If all group content also had a solo / story mode and included story that'd go a long way to including two of the larger groups that occupy this game. They've done it with flashpoints they could also do the same with uprisings and operations. With flashpoints the story mode versions just allowed story players to DO them and gain story along the way without any of the phat lewts or with only decor loots. More then enough to appease.

Currently 'story mode' in said content ( Ops and Uprisings ). A big majority of people who are solely here for the story are also soloers ( no not all but a big chunk of them ). All groups could be appeased at the same time with a little thought and due attention.

It's all fine for you all to say but you got story for 2 years, well now we have had a year with almost zero story so its swinging around and yep we are getting antsy same as non story players started getting antsy after a year of almost zero content. We all need to be understanding of each others play styles and find solutions for all where possible.

All those solo players should really really look up for what those two "m"s in MMORPG stand for...

Comments like these do not help, at all. There are a vast number of reasons why people prefer to solo or only play with a friend or two -- often times these are related to mental illnesses outside of those peoples control. Should they be completely cut off from playing these amazing games just because they play it differently to some? There are a LOT of solo players in every "MMO" and they help to keep the game afloat and pay their fees just as everyone else does. No one is more entitled then another.

Add to that, SWTOR is an expansion of what WAS a single player RPG originally ( KOTOR ) so was always going to attract even more 'story solo players' into the mix.

Edited by Suzsi

All those solo players should really really look up for what those two "m"s in MMORPG stand for...

We have...

Massively Multi-Player Online Roll Playing Game.....

Not

Massively Group-Player Online Roll Playing Game....

It means a Persistent game world where many players can play in the same world at the same time. It does NOT specify that the game play MUST be group......

Edited by denavin

The fact is there is no reason they can't do BOTH at the same time.

If all group content also had a solo / story mode and included story that'd go a long way to including two of the larger groups that occupy this game. They've done it with flashpoints they could also do the same with uprisings and operations. With flashpoints the story mode versions just allowed story players to DO them and gain story along the way without any of the phat lewts or with only decor loots. More then enough to appease.

Currently 'story mode' in said content ( Ops and Uprisings ). A big majority of people who are solely here for the story are also soloers ( no not all but a big chunk of them ). All groups could be appeased at the same time with a little thought and due attention.

It's all fine for you all to say but you got story for 2 years, well now we have had a year with almost zero story so its swinging around and yep we are getting antsy same as non story players started getting antsy after a year of almost zero content. We all need to be understanding of each others play styles and find solutions for all where possible.

Comments like these do not help, at all. There are a vast number of reasons why people prefer to solo or only play with a friend or two -- often times these are related to mental illnesses outside of those peoples control. Should they be completely cut off from playing these amazing games just because they play it differently to some? There are a LOT of solo players in every "MMO" and they help to keep the game afloat and pay their fees just as everyone else does. No one is more entitled then another.

Add to that, SWTOR is an expansion of what WAS a single player RPG originally ( KOTOR ) so was always going to attract even more 'story solo players' into the mix.

I have to disagree on that small part. You had Iokath, Umbara so far. Traitors among the chiss 5.6 coming in november... don't say you had almost zero story. :rak_03:

I have to disagree on that small part. You had Iokath, Umbara so far. Traitors among the chiss 5.6 coming in november... don't say you had almost zero story. :rak_03:

5 minutes of story on each bit of content added does not a major story drop make. Thats almost zero story content compared to previous story drops and rushed content at that.

You did see how badly the Quinn / Elara reunion was handled due to being tossed into a small story pcoket was right? Thats what happens to rushed story. Due care still needs to be taken.

How well Theron is or is not handled still remains to be seen -- but im sure you can understand why story players are skeptical right now.

Edited by Suzsi

5 minutes of story on each bit of content added does not a major story drop make. Thats almost zero story content compared to previous story drops and rushed content at that.

You did see how badly the Quinn / Elara reunion was handled due to being tossed into a small story pcoket was right? Thats what happens to rushed story. Due care still needs to be taken.

How well Theron is or is not handled still remains to be seen -- but im sure you can understand why story players are skeptical right now.

Well , you always have KOTOR games. You can go there.

BW did nothing but story and solo play for two years, and now they are switching gears to group content and you complain about it?

Yes, including this roadmap it will be a year with almost no story content. There is no excuse for this when other mmos release more for free.

Well , you always have KOTOR games. You can go there.

Yep hows about all us story and solo players do just that? Then lets see how many more subs drop from this game in the process? Awesome solution to an already struggling population for sure.

Kinda like group players had Uprising and DvL bosses. It's about the same level of satisfying.

It isn't as if there's no solo content on the horizon. I imagine that, like Crisis on Umbara, Traitor Among the Chiss will require a solo unlock before it becomes group content.

Actually, if you didn't do Iokath you don't have to do the very brief intro to run the flashpoint in any mode.

Ahh come on. This thread, how it flows is just wrong. Let me try to put the roadmap into perspective here, because all this back and forth shooting does not help. Group content gets the focus because it needs attention to be in a state that does not drives away players. That's all.

I always find it quite hard to see in general when players don't want things they aren't interested in to be added to the game. I only care for Warzones and Story, but a large portion of people care for group play, what do you think is going to happen when they don't appeal to more players than you and the like minded individual? You won't have a game to play for long.

I don't know how people can be so self absorbed.:rak_02:

In a perfect world we'd always get both at the same time, but that just isn't the case anymore. There will be times when either side will have to wait there turn. It is how it is. Raina Temple is returning, that's one companion of the "away" list, she's being added to the story like we assumed wasn't going to happen anymore, but people are still mad anyway. Yes we don't know how significant it's going to be, but it's a whole lot better than the alliance alert for all we initially thought was going to happen and maybe that whole idea is scrapped. I can't fault people for being skeptical, but for once the Devs seem to want to head into the right direction again, isn't that at least something to be happy about?:confused:

The forums seem to have a positive vibe again since the roadmap, I think that's quite a relief, even if most things that it brought don't really appeal to me. Solo/story players, I'm sure we'll be next. :)

Then we can see the opposite side whine and give them the response they are giving us now. It's a vicious cycle.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

I always find it quite hard to see in general when players don't want things they aren't interested in to be added to the game. I only care for Warzones and Story, but a large portion of people care for group play, what do you think is going to happen when they don't appeal to more players than you and the like minded individual? You won't have a game to play for long.

I don't know how people can be so self absorbed.:rak_02:

In a perfect world we'd always get both at the same time, but that just isn't the case anymore. There will be times when either side will have to wait there turn. It is how it is. Raina Temple is returning, that's one companion of the "away" list, she's being added to the story like we assumed wasn't going to happen anymore, but people are still mad anyway. Yes we don't know how significant it's going to be, but it's a whole lot better than the alliance alert for all we initially thought was going to happen and maybe that whole idea is scrapped. I can't fault people for being skeptical, but for once the Devs seem to want to head into the right direction again, isn't that at least something to be happy about?:confused:

The forums seem to have a positive vibe again since the roadmap, I think that's quite a relief, even if most things that it brought don't really appeal to me. Solo/story players, I'm sure we'll be next. :)

Then we can see the opposite side whine and give them the response they are giving us now. It's a vicious cycle.:rak_03:

Honestly this is why I suggested all group content having a story mode thats soloable etc then both sides can benifit at the same time. They could add story to everything inc ops of they just made a story mode version that doesn't include the high end loot -- just repeatable story.

It feels a bit like they dropped the ball with the last flashpoint because although the instance is repeatable the story that goes with it is not. Back to having to level chars right the way through just to see certain aspects of the story again. Thats just not how you do things for story players imo.

Edited by Suzsi

Honestly this is why I suggested all group content having a story mode thats soloable etc then both sides can benifit at the same time. They could add story to everything inc ops of they just made a story mode version that doesn't include the high end loot -- just repeatable story.

It feels a bit like they dropped the ball with the last flashpoint because although the instance is repeatable the story that goes with it is not. Back to having to level chars right the way through just to see certain aspects of the story again. Thats just not how you do things for story players imo.

I just don't think they are receiving the recourses to do that.🤔 I think we're getting what we're, getting because this is all they're willing to give us. I'm not talking about BW.

It would be nice to get the story to be repeatable, I thought that's why it was in an FP to begin with.:rak_02:

Edited by Eshvara

Laughable some of the posts here...lets see if all story/solo players leave, what will happen to the few left narrowthinkers...I personally do all content multiple times for years already, but a whole year without good quality story, because 5 min is not a story is pathethic considering some MMOS deliver it monthly. Yeah...I am not going to do a 1 new OPS for a whole year like a retard or 1 new pvp/gsfl map or 1 new uprising or 1 new flashpoint and be satisfied with the game or have any incentive to stay. I have done all the OPS so many times that I dread doing them anymore so new story is refreshing. I have done so many matches on PVP and GSF...but its grows boring, you cant do that all the time. But I guess we can all go back and play KOTOR and see how it goes.

Laughable some of the posts here...lets see if all story/solo players leave, what will happen to the few left narrowthinkers...I personally do all content multiple times for years already, but a whole year without good quality story, because 5 min is not a story is pathethic considering some MMOS deliver it monthly. Yeah...I am not going to do a 1 new OPS for a whole year like a retard or 1 new pvp/gsfl map or 1 new uprising or 1 new flashpoint and be satisfied with the game or have any incentive to stay. I have done all the OPS so many times that I dread doing them anymore so new story is refreshing. I have done so many matches on PVP and GSF...but its grows boring, you cant do that all the time. But I guess we can all go back and play KOTOR and see how it goes.

It won't go well when either group leaves. The majority however left close to launch because there wasn't anything engaging to do after the story.

Shouldn't that at least ring some kind of bell? This game does need group play just like it does story. We just can't always have both at the same time.

5minutesof story isn't enough and I'd like more too, but if EA isn't willing to provide the money, what are we supposed to do?:rak_02: apart from complain. At this point I take what I can get.:rak_03:

Story at least doesn't require people to continuesly sub, some of my friends take comfort in that. It's less money for BW, but that's just how it is. /Shrug.