Kathleen Kennedy has finally shown her true colors

LeGrindMax

Was she the Phantom Menace of the Sequel Trilogy all along?

After all, Rian Johnson seems to be HER personal pet project /main man; The Last Jedi [/i ]brings back the CGI overkill that TFA wisely avoided, the constant cuteness is back (merchandising), the forced/plastic humor is back (even in extremely dangerous situations), the explosions over a well-crafted plot are back...

it's kind of telling that SHE has GREENLIGHTED, OUT OF THE F BLUE, a new trilogy that will be directed by this Johnson guy; she has fired three directors already and ordered multiple reshoots for Rogue One (with the acquiescence of Disney?) , but this Johnson guy seems to encapsulate HER PERSONAL vision for Disney SW (CGI, merchandising, humor)

Thoughts?

Edited by LeGrindMax

who knows if its her doing, anyway judging from the reviews some heads will roll

CGI is nothing bad and we will see more and more of it since its almost 2018 and it only will get better

cute animals, yeah they are cute and fluffy and funny (sort of) but there were parts where they didnt belong and felt forced :(

honestly the biggest issue with the movie for me wasnt all that u mention, but

Luke and his history with Ben Solo

Hopefully that retard Rian will be fired from the new trilogy, otherwise star wars is dead...

This. The Last Jedi was just insulting, still it looks like it's going to bomb. Add in already a number of people I know decided to boycott the movie after what EA did with Battlefraud 2.

Was she the Phantom Menace of the Sequel Trilogy all along?

After all, Rian Johnson seems to be HER personal pet project /main man; The Last Jedi [/i ]brings back the CGI overkill that TFA wisely avoided, the constant cuteness is back (merchandising), the forced/plastic humor is back (even in extremely dangerous situations), the explosions over a well-crafted plot are back...

it's kind of telling that SHE has GREENLIGHTED, OUT OF THE F BLUE, a new trilogy that will be directed by this Johnson guy; she has fired three directors already and ordered multiple reshoots for Rogue One (with the acquiescence of Disney?) , but this Johnson guy seems to encapsulate HER PERSONAL vision for Disney SW (CGI, merchandising, humor)

Thoughts?

Maybe that's the job of a producer? :t_eek:

Seriously, what? You think you should call the shots? Sorry, you just like

Rey's parents.

:t_cool:

This. The Last Jedi was just insulting, still it looks like it's going to bomb. Add in already a number of people I know decided to boycott the movie after what EA did with Battlefraud 2.

Just to follow up on this nice t-ball you set up for me, The Last Jedi did not bomb. It made the 2nd highest amount of money ever in the first weekend. Approximately $220 million in less than 4 days. The only movie ahead of it is The Force Awakens. So no, it didn't bomb.

Just to follow up on this nice t-ball you set up for me, The Last Jedi did not bomb. It made the 2nd highest amount of money ever in the first weekend. Approximately $220 million in less than 4 days. The only movie ahead of it is The Force Awakens. So no, it didn't bomb.

That just goes to show you the kind of garbage people go to watch then. The real question shouldn't be how much it made on the 1st weekend, but how much it makes for as long as it's out. If it tanks after that 1st weekend, who cares how well it did that 1 weekend. It should be how well a movie did for the entire time it's on the big screen.

Why are people so egocentric that only what they want to happen for the story would be good and rest is garbage according to them? You create too many wants and expectations for the story and it clouds your judgement. You hate it way too easily just because how you wanted the story to go didn't happen.

I loved the The Last Jedi, it was an amazing movie with a great storyline and addition to the entire Star Wars universe. It created something unique and incredibly enjoyable. And I say this as a hardcore Star Wars fun who has read much of the old EU content like the Thrawn trilogy and the Legacy of the Force bookseries, who is a great lover of the Legends content from the pre-movie eras. I theorize about the new movies and stories, sure, or speculate, but I have let go of the old EU continuity after RoTJ and let myself be carried by the new story stream. Guess what, it allowed me to really enjoy the new movies, books and comics, with the new canon being rather good, very good even!

If you are unable to let go of the EU continuity and want that to happen, perhaps the new movies aren't for you and you shouldn't watch them. It will save you much anger and disappointment and the rest won't have to feel bad to see an awesome story being bashed. However, I urge you to try to let go of what was before and try to go into the new stories with a fresh and open mind, it will make you see the new movies in a different and better light :)

That just goes to show you the kind of garbage people go to watch then. The real question shouldn't be how much it made on the 1st weekend, but how much it makes for as long as it's out. If it tanks after that 1st weekend, who cares how well it did that 1 weekend. It should be how well a movie did for the entire time it's on the big screen.

And already it looks like it's tanking.

A friend of mine on Reddit said he went to an 8pm saturday showing and barely anyone was in the theater. And he lives in a big city. Also one just has to look at social media, so far facebook, twitter, reddit and the chans are blasting the film. I get the feeling it will be on dvd in another 3 months at this point.

What a waste of a movie. Disney just dropped the ball big time and at this point? They should just call it quits with Star Wars. They have Avatar now and that can be the big money maker. Star Wars and the Marvel movies just went about being too sjw for their own good.

And already it looks like it's tanking.

A friend of mine on Reddit said he went to an 8pm saturday showing and barely anyone was in the theater. And he lives in a big city. Also one just has to look at social media, so far facebook, twitter, reddit and the chans are blasting the film. I get the feeling it will be on dvd in another 3 months at this point.

What a waste of a movie. Disney just dropped the ball big time and at this point? They should just call it quits with Star Wars. They have Avatar now and that can be the big money maker. Star Wars and the Marvel movies just went about being too sjw for their own good.

The saturday showing of 12:45 PM had a full theatre, completely full here and it was in a big city too. Actually, it was one of the last showings I could book tickets for A MONTH in advance to that saturday. I believe it is a matter of perspective and that perhaps many went to the showings earlier that week. People try to prove that this movie isn't succesful but here in the Netherlands all the media are reporting that currently the Last Jedi is breaking records of how many viewers it has attracted.

From what I am hearing around me a majority of people is very satisfied with the Last Jedi, while a small and vocal group of fans are negative. Or so it appears from my perspective.

you guys are hilarious. Cool if you don't like it. Everyone has that choice, but you may want to actually check some facts before you guys post. 2nd highest gross all time is not a bomb and projections are now upwards of 1.7Billion not counting merchandising, tv rights, etc (see RT article on weekend gross)

Anyway, fine you don't like it, but making up facts to support your opinion is not necessary. Just don't like it.

you guys are hilarious. Cool if you don't like it. Everyone has that choice, but you may want to actually check some facts before you guys post. 2nd highest gross all time is not a bomb and projections are now upwards of 1.7Billion not counting merchandising, tv rights, etc (see RT article on weekend gross)

Anyway, fine you don't like it, but making up facts to support your opinion is not necessary. Just don't like it.

^ This. People will twist anything to suit their opinion while blatantly ignoring facts especially if they contradict what they believe. But it has happened in the past on the forums and sadly will be used as a method of "argumentation" for decades to come :(

Movie seems to be doing very well and I've seen nothing but positive reviews so far. Movie theater in my area sold out all showings for days.

Same here. The people I hear talking about it are ranging from positive to very positive, but I didn't hear anyone being negative in my surroundings. As I said, I think it's a vocal minority who don't like the movie and don't want others to like the movie, it's a sad thing :(

Edited by Ylliarus

I think there are those who are too caught up in what 'must be', according to their own vision of the Star Wars universe and their hopes/desires for this film. It's so ingrained in them they cannot accept this new universe and story. I believe Trekkies went through this too with ST:TNG but I mean, just as our world evolves and changes, so does the Star Wars universe and things will not be as they were, which is okay.

I also believe it's dangerous for writers and directors to follow the exact desires and demands of die-hard fans. It would lead to a movie enjoyed only by a small circle, an extremely specific crowd which I think would actually be detrimental to the franchise as a whole.

I think there are those who are too caught up in what 'must be', according to their own vision of the Star Wars universe and their hopes/desires for this film. It's so ingrained in them they cannot accept this new universe and story. I believe Trekkies went through this too with ST:TNG but I mean, just as our world evolves and changes, so does the Star Wars universe and things will not be as they were, which is okay.

I also believe it's dangerous for writers and directors to follow the exact desires and demands of die-hard fans. It would lead to a movie enjoyed only by a small circle, an extremely specific crowd which I think would actually be detrimental to the franchise as a whole.

I have been nodding very heavily at every single word you just have written done. What you say is so very much true.

I get it, I had my own theories and speculations when going into the movie myself. I was a firm believer of the theory that Snoke was Valkorion, I truly believed that and hoped it would be revealed in the Last Jedi. Guess what, I was wrong! Did it ruin my vision and enjoyment of the movie? Not even one bit. Because it is one thing to have speculations that you don't hold onto and another to have you wants for a movie that when they aren't fulfilled the exact way you wanted them to make you hate the movie. The latter is what is happening to the people who hate on the Last Jedi. They had their wants for this movie that had to be fulfilled or otherwise they would be outraged and some even insulted. Because the director didn't share in their thoughts and wants... silly, isn't it?

I have loved every Star Wars movie so far, but this movie was truly terrible. It ruined Luke, it ruined the story they began in Force Awakens, it is filled with so many glaring plot holes that I can't believe that people actually enjoyed this drivel of a movie. To each their own I guess.

I really have no reason to watch episode 9 now as I have no interest in the remaining characters as they are not interesting anymore. I have never been so devastated by a movie before. I think I have lost some of my interest for Star Wars all together because of this movie. Heck I recently subscribed to SWTOR because I thought I would get a big feel for playing something Star Wars again. But now I don't really want to.

I have been nodding very heavily at every single word you just have written done. What you say is so very much true.

I get it, I had my own theories and speculations when going into the movie myself. I was a firm believer of the theory that Snoke was Valkorion, I truly believed that and hoped it would be revealed in the Last Jedi. Guess what, I was wrong! Did it ruin my vision and enjoyment of the movie? Not even one bit. Because it is one thing to have speculations that you don't hold onto and another to have you wants for a movie that when they aren't fulfilled the exact way you wanted them to make you hate the movie. The latter is what is happening to the people who hate on the Last Jedi. They had their wants for this movie that had to be fulfilled or otherwise they would be outraged and some even insulted. Because the director didn't share in their thoughts and wants... silly, isn't it?

I had theories and hopes as well. I'd hoped for a TOR tie-in through Snoke being Vitiate and I had hoped Rey was connected to Obi Wan in some fashion. I'd suspected more likely Luke's daughter. None of it happened and of course, I had a split second of "Oh..." but I got over it fast and I'm pleased with what they have done. In fact, in retrospect, I am actually really happy Rey isn't "related to" but rather her own individual person--a woman strong enough to matter on her own merits without being tied to any of the greats. Better yet is the fact it does connect her to Anakin in a way, through what they have in common--both are 'nobodies' with an extraordinary gift, no special parents, no famous lineage, just them being their own selves.

The internet, podcasts, theory crafters, they are somewhat to blame for this. Many invested so much time dissecting TFA and the entire Star Wars history to theorize and predict future events and fans put a lot of stock into all the speculations and predictions. Which, I mean it's fine, it's part of being a fan and feeling psyched about something but it can lead to a sense of huge disappointment when it doesn't play out. I watch those videos too and discuss theories with my guy and friends but more with an air of "Huh, that'd be cool" because I don't want to reach that point of feeling utterly let down if there's a sudden entirely different twist.

I had theories and hopes as well. I'd hoped for a TOR tie-in through Snoke being Vitiate and I had hoped Rey was connected to Obi Wan in some fashion. I'd suspected more likely Luke's daughter. None of it happened and of course, I had a split second of "Oh..." but I got over it fast and I'm pleased with what they have done. In fact, in retrospect, I am actually really happy Rey isn't "related to" but rather her own individual person--a woman strong enough to matter on her own merits without being tied to any of the greats. Better yet is the fact it does connect her to Anakin in a way, through what they have in common--both are 'nobodies' with an extraordinary gift, no special parents, no famous lineage, just them being their own selves.

The internet, podcasts, theory crafters, they are somewhat to blame for this. Many invested so much time dissecting TFA and the entire Star Wars history to theorize and predict future events and fans put a lot of stock into all the speculations and predictions. Which, I mean it's fine, it's part of being a fan and feeling psyched about something but it can lead to a sense of huge disappointment when it doesn't play out. I watch those videos too and discuss theories with my guy and friends but more with an air of "Huh, that'd be cool" because I don't want to reach that point of feeling utterly let down if there's a sudden entirely different twist.

The problem for some, they grew up on the original (Luke, Han, Leia) and for them nothing or no one will be able to compare no matter what. Don't get me wrong I loved them as much as most but I have also learned to watch the movie for itself without the necessity of having the original people in the movies. Was I sad that Han was killed before, yes. Sad about Luke yea but I sit back and watch the movie for itself and not for what I want to see. Even here in my small town both theaters are full.

Movie seems to be doing very well and I've seen nothing but positive reviews so far. Movie theater in my area sold out all showings for days.

On IMDB the vast majority of viewers hated it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/reviews?ref_=login

For real fans of Star Wars original trilogy they gave us Rogue One for pure nostalgic enjoyment. That is about the time people who saw the originals in the theaters will want to get off the Star Wars bus.

Edited by HuaRya

The problem for some, they grew up on the original (Luke, Han, Leia) and for them nothing or no one will be able to compare no matter what. Don't get me wrong I loved them as much as most but I have also learned to watch the movie for itself without the necessity of having the original people in the movies. Was I sad that Han was killed before, yes. Sad about Luke yea but I sit back and watch the movie for itself and not for what I want to see. Even here in my small town both theaters are full.

This, this so much. I get it that people grew up on it, but that doesn't make them any more "truer" fans or more hardcore fans than any other of us. I think it has a lot to do with the differences in generation, because our generation is more often accepting of change and something new (when talking about generations I say this as a 22 years old, as a sidenote) than the older one. Look at various other topics, we accept the change when we see it is for the better while the older generations tightly hold onto what was even though if it was bad, unjust or unequal. The same applies to the movies, it has to be what they grew up on or otherwise they will hate it, and new perspectives on storylines and lore will anger them to the point where they feel insulted while that is just ludicrous to think.

On IMDB the vast majority of viewers hated it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/reviews?ref_=login

That's not the story that the User Ratings are telling:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/ratings?ref_=tturv_sa_3

IMDb User Ratings as of Dec. 19, 2017 at ~2am EST:

• 10/10 = 30,696 votes
  • 9/10 = 27,854
  • 8/10 = 27,833
  • 7/10 = 18,168
  • 6/10 = 10,813
  • 5/10 = 5,865
  • 4/10 = 3,457
  • 3/10 = 2,959
  • 2/10 = 2,378
  • 1/10 = 7,404

As of this posting, the most common rating for the movie on IMDB is 10/10 stars, the second most common rating is 9/10, and the third most common rating is 8/10. There are more 10/10 ratings than there are 1/10 - 5/10 combined (same is true of both 9/10 and 8/10, each of those individually also has more than 1-5 combined).

Yes, there are thousands and thousands of people on IMDB who hated it -- that's a perfectly valid opinion to have -- but as of right now, there are more than four times as many people who loved it (just comparing 1/10 to 10/10, if you go by, say 1-3 / 10 as people who hated it vs 8-10 / 10 as those who loved it, then there are more than six times as many people who loved it than those who hated it).

Edited by DarthDymond

That's not the story that the User Ratings are telling:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/ratings?ref_=tturv_sa_3

IMDb User Ratings as of Dec. 19, 2017 at ~2am EST:

• 10/10 = 30,696 votes
  • 9/10 = 27,854
  • 8/10 = 27,833
  • 7/10 = 18,168
  • 6/10 = 10,813
  • 5/10 = 5,865
  • 4/10 = 3,457
  • 3/10 = 2,959
  • 2/10 = 2,378
  • 1/10 = 7,404

As of this posting, the most common rating for the movie on IMDB is 10/10 stars, the second most common rating is 9/10, and the third most common rating is 8/10. There are more 10/10 ratings than there are 1/10 - 5/10 combined (same is true of both 9/10 and 8/10, each of those individually also has more than 1-5 combined).

Yes, there are thousands and thousands of people on IMDB who hated it -- that's a perfectly valid opinion to have -- but as of right now, there are more than four times as many people who loved it (just comparing 1/10 to 10/10, if you go by, say 1-3 / 10 as people who hated it vs 8-10 / 10 as those who loved it, then there are more than six times as many people who loved it than those who hated it).

Its clear to me then that disney set up some kind of bot network or have shill accounts making it look better.

The people have spoken the Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie made and has tanked. At this point Disney needs to ditch just about everyone who had anything to do with it and give Star Wars a break until they can find people loyal to the ideals of Star Wars to pick it up and redo it.