I keep messing up!

It depends what type of enemy switches agro to you. If it is a strong or elite, it is probably the tanks fault for not holding agro. If its a lesser enemy, it doesnt matter how much damage you do to it as the tank will have a hard time holding agro for everything (Tank has to focus on the harder enemies). Just burst the mob down.

If you pull threat on an easy mob, just kill it. If you pull threat on a harder one, use your threat dump and/or ask for a guard from your tank.

this is also a problem i began having in sm ops and hm fps from time to time ever since i began buying the black hole gear (only have two pieces so far though) ... would really appreciate it if someone could please help me figure out what would be the threat dump for a dps shadow running the balance tree

would really appreciate it if someone could please help me figure out what would be the threat dump for a dps shadow running the balance tree

Shadows don't have a "traditional" threat dump (= an ability that reduces your threat by ~20%), and they don't need one because they have something better.

See this?

http://www.torhead.com/ability/5vQeBNe/force-cloak

Force Cloak

Instead of slightly lowering your threat, it rather reduces it down to 0.

Problem solved.

Whenever you use it, all your threat is gone.

Force Cloak

Instead of slightly lowering your threat, it rather reduces it down to 0.

Problem solved.

Whenever you use it, all your threat is gone.

I like to save this ability as an escape method if I'm close to dying especially if the healer or tank died. Gotta try to save those repair costs now ha

Ive tanked and DPS'ed for most of my time in this game, and would say that some of the advice I've read above is not really relevent to flashpoints.

In a flashpoint, DPS should most certainly not be attacking what the tank is attacking. That's how healers die.

A good example is the first pull in FE. Either the droids or the marauders (are they marauders? I think so) should get cc'd, tank handles the others - yet pretty much every time you pug that instance you'll see one or two normals in the back as the last things left alive. They will be the ones that kill the healer because the tank isn't going to be picking those up.

99% of the time DPS should kill normals, then strongs, then elites. Assume your tank is picking up the strongs and above.

By the time the normals have swapped agro from the tank's initial pull to the healer, at least two normals should be dead, allowing DPS to grab whatever is now attacking the healer. By the time DPS has cleaned up so just the tanked mobs are left, the tank has enough agro to make it a non issue.

Just my experience, but most threat issues in FPs are caused by DPS attacking the wrong stuff.

Thanks guys! I have learned a lot. Tested a FP today, and it went very very good :) Some of the answers in this thread isn't to find anywhere else, and its them I have enjoyed most.

Thanks a lot!

You know I really like your attitude. I understand it is not easy to explore new genre of games where you are not used to. For my own personal example, I am an MMO guy. Put me in any game that is classified as a MMO, and I will excel at it regardless of different mechanics. However, I am a terrible first-person-shooter player. I just can't do it! I am always drooling at gameplay videos where the person in it were showing off stunts and moves that make some actions scenes in action movies look like kindergarten play rehearsal. But I digress.

Some times I find it hard to explain and teach newbies because from time to time I encounter these "over-sensitive-fragile" type of players. I am not a professional educator, so I do not know how to "sugar-coat" tough information. I like to give information and teach them "as is" because I think it is the best way to avoid confusion. But you know what? Some times when I do, these "over-sensitive-fragile" types will go completely berserk and start to lash out left and right for telling them something "they don't want to hear".

So thank you for being a character who is willing to accept one's own flaws and grow from it. Bravo!

Start off by saying that you haven't done the fight before, not that you are a "noob." People are almost always willing to help you with a new fight mechanic, but you may just be kicked if you tell them you don't know basic mmo mechanics at level 40.

Typical elitist attitude, ignore and move on. Luckily the majority of Swtor peeps are actually HELPFULL and not Newbs that think there all that.

Elitist attitude would be "die less", "l2p", "stop whining" and other crap along those lines.

What I said stands - common sense and a game so easy you can faceroll your keyboard and still prevail. As for me being helpful or not; you have no idea what you're talking about since you've never met me and played with me. So please, spare me your conclusions.

I'm surprised nobody remembered to mention the No1 kick reason : needing on other people's loot.

Which means, translated to sniperish, only ever press need if the item in question has cunning on it, ie, it is intended for your class.

Im kinda jelous, cos the road u have ahead is long and scenic, dont give up and have fun.

Not trying to be trollish or snarky, but this isn't accurate, is it? I thought EP was single target.

You may actually have me there:

http://www.torhead.com/ability/OEXFI/explosive-probe#see-also

Nothing in details about splash damage (grenade toss/thermal detonator does damage multiple targets though)

The knockback effect of both seems to drive tanks a bit crazy though, especially if they fly into enemies not being fought at the moment

Elitist attitude would be "die less", "l2p", "stop whining" and other crap along those lines.

What I said stands - common sense and a game so easy you can faceroll your keyboard and still prevail. As for me being helpful or not; you have no idea what you're talking about since you've never met me and played with me. So please, spare me your conclusions.

Well, in a thread full of helpful information and posters with good attitudes, yours was the only post to contain neither. Common sense should show you that. You actually took time to make a post that literally contributed nothing to the discussion, so yeah, conclusion drawn.

To everyone else, thanks for a great thread!

this is also a problem i began having in sm ops and hm fps from time to time ever since i began buying the black hole gear (only have two pieces so far though) ... would really appreciate it if someone could please help me figure out what would be the threat dump for a dps shadow running the balance tree

Building on what Stressfire said, there are 2 types of 'pulling aggro' as a DPS. First, make sure you're following "standard dps protocol" = don't shoot first, and kill all of the little guys while the tank occupies the big guys, unless it's a boss fight or a particular encounter that requires a different mechanic. (In FP's, there aren't many non-boss encounters that require a different mechanic.)

Assuming you're following 'standard dps protocol', there are 2 types of pulling aggro.

1. Some low-level mob is attacking you.

----> Easy. Finish killing what you're killing...and now you know who's going to die next? That guy shooting you!

2. Some bigger (silver, gold, etc)mob is attacking you.

-----> Can you cc him? If so, do it now and then finish what you were killing before. If not, finish what you were killing before and then either (a) take him yourself if you think you can or (b) go start helping the tank with what he's doing so that you pull the bigger mob over to where the tank is.

A good tank will keep aggro on as much as possible, but good tanks often also assume that you know what to cc in advance of an encounter, so sometimes you might pull aggro because of an assumption.

And if you really want an A+, keep an eye on your healer...killing mobs who attack your healer is a fantastic way of climbing up a healer's priority list;)

My advice?

Join a Guild. Advertise yourself on your server's forum. You seem willing to learn your class. I'd expect there's a Guild out there willing to take you on board and show you the ropes.

It really will be a far more pleasant , and faster, learning experience than trying to do it all on your own.

Where should someone know all this things from, remember not everyone reads tons of guides before they start playing the game

I never read any SWTOR guides before I started playing and I've never had problems with the game's difficulty. If aynthing, I found it - and still do - extremely easy compared to some other games I've played (not limited to MMO's only).

Well, in a thread full of helpful information and posters with good attitudes, yours was the only post to contain neither. Common sense should show you that. You actually took time to make a post that literally contributed nothing to the discussion, so yeah, conclusion drawn.

You should really brush up on your definition of the terms "elitist" and "disagreement". If you failed to understand the message my post was conveying, it doesn't make the post - or the poster - elitist. That's all there is to it.

You should really brush up on your definition of the terms "elitist" and "disagreement". If you failed to understand the message my post was conveying, it doesn't make the post - or the poster - elitist. That's all there is to it.

And you should really brush up on your reading comprehension skills (apparently that's not as easy for you as video games). I never used either of those terms, that was another poster. I merely pointed out that you were the only person to bring negativity into this thread, and that your post served no other purpose. That's all there is to it.

And to that end, I'm done with you. I won't contribute any further to derailing and excellent thread. My apologies to everyone else for even contributing this much.

I never used either of those terms, that was another poster.

You didn't have to because you did this:

I merely pointed out that you were the only person to bring negativity into this thread, and that your post served no other purpose.

Which was clear signal you too have problems with above mentioned terms.

There was nothing elitist in my post. There was disagreement with everyone who calls this game hard. There were some other things too, but - apparently - they were too subtle for most to recognize. It's okay, I really am used to that.

Edited by slafko