Lightsabers... Lights or Heavy?

Sinigual

I'm not too up on the lore outside the movies and a few books... but this is a debate I've had with a few friends. Are Lightsabers heavy, or fairly light weight?

You see some Jedi/Sith wield them with a two handed grip... and the way they swing it, kind of like a big broadsword or claymore... then you have other Jedi/Sith that use them almost like a fencing sword... even dual wielding them at times... very acrobatic, etc.

Is it based on the build? Is there a benefit to making the hilt heavier, since the beam itself shouldn't have any weight to it, right?

Lightsaber 101.... haha

The actual blade of a lightsaber is completely weightless, as according to lore, so lets get that out of the way first. Id like to say that Im an avid collector of lightsaber hilts in real life and every hilt I own has a distinctive weight to it. Whether this is to offset the weight and length of the saber's dueling blade I am unsure, but every saber is different. Ive created one myself and Ive noticed mine was considerably lighter than the ones I bought, as per my personal preference. Im able to fight faster and better with it because it reflects my preference in combat style.

I find that in-universe this works very much the same way, whereas Darth Bane used a heavy lightsaber simply because he was a large man and he needed the extra grip, and as with Assaj Ventress Id imagine her lightsabers are very light because she is, quite frankly, fairly weak, yet very fast. Every lightsaber reflects it's user in more than just style, it shows in its versatility and in the way it was meant to be used.

Edited by Darth_Casus

One thing to consider, when you hold or swing a weapon, you are putting twice and much strength into the swing than if you were to just use one hand. Certainly a matter of strength and personal style.

Yes but what's the point of strength when the beam can slice through ANYTHING? The only time it would be beneficial would be against another light saber... But at that point because of the beam, the force and agility, it's more about finesse anyway.

Though malgus does swing viciously against kao cen in the Return trailer.

Ah well, fun discussion...

And to the guy that makes his own sabers.... Umm... Wow. Detailed reply at least!

Yes but what's the point of strength when the beam can slice through ANYTHING? The only time it would be beneficial would be against another light saber... But at that point because of the beam, the force and agility, it's more about finesse anyway.

Though malgus does swing viciously against kao cen in the Return trailer.

Ah well, fun discussion...

And to the guy that makes his own sabers.... Umm... Wow. Detailed reply at least!

A lightsaber can cut through anything, but there are stronger materials (and lightsaber resistant materials).

Something like a simple battle droid (or human flesh and bone) requires no strength. But cutting through a durasteel plated door requires str behind the cut. I believe the explanation is that the force field or whatever that contains the energy blade, has to restrict how much passes through, or the energy would spill out everywhere.

Or something to that effect.

I'm fairly sure you could cut through that door with similar ease, but it gets slowed down for dramatic effect really.

That said, from what I understand there's a strong gyroscopic effect on a lightsaber's blade so you need to anticipate and/or compensate quite a bit for that when swinging it or it'll go much wider than you had planned... which is basically why only someone trained in the Force is capable of using a lightsaber effectively. And why most hold it with two hands.

Edited by Bielduwyn

I'm fairly sure you could cut through that door with similar ease, but it gets slowed down for dramatic effect really.

That said, from what I understand there's a strong gyroscopic effect on a lightsaber's blade so you need to anticipate and/or compensate quite a bit for that when swinging it or it'll go much wider than you had planned... which is basically why only someone trained in the Force is capable of using a lightsaber effectively. And why most hold it with two hands.

If you read the wiki (maybe youre one of the people who dont listen to the wiki and say that stuff is BS, w/e in that case) it explains the slowing down.

Originally, lightsabers were supposed to be heavy, I believe the specific wording involved the strength needed to move around a huge amount of energy. That's why, in the original movies, you see a lot slower fights, and more two-handed grips. They wanted to show progression of force ability by how quickly/easily you can move a lightsaber around, which is why you rarely see Luke use a one-handed grip (yes yes, I know, the first scene with him holding a lightsaber was with one hand; I wasn't responsible for the continuity editing), but often see Vader use one.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what to believe anymore, as I don't really like the canon being changed from the original stuff, yet apparently most people think they're supposed to be weightless.

Edited by MxCNOM

Originally, lightsabers were supposed to be heavy, I believe the specific wording involved the strength needed to move around a huge amount of energy. That's why, in the original movies, you see a lot slower fights, and more two-handed grips. They wanted to show progression of force ability by how quickly/easily you can move a lightsaber around, which is why you rarely see Luke use a one-handed grip (yes yes, I know, the first scene with him holding a lightsaber was with one hand; I wasn't responsible for the continuity editing), but often see Vader use one.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure what to believe anymore, as I don't really like the canon being changed from the original stuff, yet apparently most people think they're supposed to be weightless.

whether you like it or not, a lightsabers blade is weightless, and the difficulty in wielding it comes from the gyroscope effect of the weapon.

whether you like it or not, a lightsabers blade is weightless, and the difficulty in wielding it comes from the gyroscope effect of the weapon.
Well I'm sorry I haven't read the wiki, just saying that the last I heard on the matter was from an interview with the maker of the IP, and I'm pretty sure that the understanding is that movie canon has precedence over anything else. Of course, as has been the case, he could've just changed it (which is why I said "originally").

Well I'm sorry I haven't read the wiki, just saying that the last I heard on the matter was from an interview with the maker of the IP, and I'm pretty sure that the understanding is that movie canon has precedence over anything else. Of course, as has been the case, he could've just changed it (which is why I said "originally").

actually G canon (basically anything lucas says) is the highest form of canon, which includes the movies. But it is never stated in the movies in the movies the weight of the blade, therefore we only have the information we have been given in books and interviews since then.

actually G canon (basically anything lucas says) is the highest form of canon, which includes the movies. But it is never stated in the movies in the movies the weight of the blade, therefore we only have the information we have been given in books and interviews since then.
Well that is true, but it WAS in an interview with him that I heard the "heavy energy blade" idea in the first place. I must have been taken by a brief fit of madness when I assumed that that would/could not change. At least, I'm pretty sure it was Lucas. Edited by MxCNOM

What you see as different grips and different styles of wielding the saber

is basically a combat technique.

There are seven forms in the Jedi/Sith Lightsaber combat style.

Shii-Cho

Makashi (Count Dooku - Fencing style)

Soresu (Obi-wan episode 2 onwards particularly when fighting Grievious)

Ataru (Obi-wan Ep1, Qui gon, Yoda)

Shien/Djem so (Anakin, I think)

Niman

Juyo/Vaapad (Mace Windu, Darth Maul)

Those are the list of saber forms, I do not think they are in the correct order but!

That is why each of them holds a saber differently. Each form has it's own way of

combat and style which has nothing to do with the weight of the hilt, more so the

power of the slash in the case of Shii-cho, or using minimal effort in the case of

Makashi. They all vary greatly from one another.

I hope this helps with what you were wondering about. More in wookiepedia if you wanna find out.

Well the thing is Lucas originally wanted them to be really heavy weapons (hence the double handed use in some of the fight scenes in the OT) but then changed his mind (as he does on occation :rolleyes: ) and the weapon turned out to be a bit of both.

Its a very light weapon, but it uses the combat styles of both heavy and light weapons :/