Help with TOR on windows 8

kethrill

launcher works fine, download as well.

when i click on PLAY the first wait screen should come up and NOTHING. checked to ensure all programs are run as ADMIN(swtor.exe, launcher.exe), DirectX 9 stuff, running in compatibility mode. and I don't have the old windows7 to redo. so has anyone fixed this problem or knows how?

for the record I do like windows 8, I just need a solution.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I created an alternate users account, and that got me to blank server screen.

Then did the check for old programs that might need to use alternate

Windows(like Win7 etc). This actually got me into the game.

BUT, not consistently, sometimes have to log-in 3xs before it starts up.

OP your biggest mistake was switching to a new operating system like windows 8 which way mainly developed for tablets and smartphones and possibly newer pc's that will be equipped with touchscreen functionality.

Biggest problem gamers see when a new OS is releases is hardware/driver issues. I suggest either going back to your old operating system or trying to see if their are new drivers out for windows 8 for your hardware. Right now I would guess that there are not to many drivers out there for Windows 8.

OP your biggest mistake was switching to a new operating system like windows 8 which way mainly developed for tablets and smartphones and possibly newer pc's that will be equipped with touchscreen functionality.

Biggest problem gamers see when a new OS is releases is hardware/driver issues. I suggest either going back to your old operating system or trying to see if their are new drivers out for windows 8 for your hardware. Right now I would guess that there are not to many drivers out there for Windows 8.

Err.. no... this is probably the last Windows to be useful on PCs so it will be supported long after Win7 dies... best to get it tamed now.

As for drivers almost all the gear has new Win8 drivers.

Roalmo thank you for helping but I didn't work. im stressed out lol. I just wanna play the game already

WookieIsshe you said go back to windows 7 lol never plus I also posted I don't have it anymore. I just want it running here.

Darn, thats all I have.. took me 8+ hours to get that... hope you fare better.

If only SWTOR had been ready for the win8 distro, it's been coming through the tunnel for 6+ months.... and the light at the end of the tunnel WAS a train. Bet half their new FTPers are on Win8.

I did some searching and the only thing I could find was several references to games not launching if an xbox controller is plugged in.

Wish I could offer more. So far all games run fine for me on Windows 8, but I did have another program, Serviio, which did what your describing. I was unable to fix it and eventually moved on to another program.

Roalmo thank you for helping but I didn't work. im stressed out lol. I just wanna play the game already

WookieIsshe you said go back to windows 7 lol never plus I also posted I don't have it anymore. I just want it running here.

Wow, you should always keep your old OS handy just in case of an emergency. I remember when I switched to Windows ME and immediately saw what a bonehead mistake that was and went back to the previous OS.

Err.. no... this is probably the last Windows to be useful on PCs so it will be supported long after Win7 dies... best to get it tamed now.

As for drivers almost all the gear has new Win8 drivers.

You said it yourself "Almost all the NEW gear has Win8 drivers". How much of the older stuff has Win8 drivers? It always takes months after a new OS is released for older hardware to get the newest drivers or drivers that support that hardware for the new OS.

I never had a problem with TOR or any other game in 8 so far.

But the Windows firewall had a prompt up that I saw by alt-tabbing out that needed an "allow" press.

Yeh, one of first things I did was to create an exception for SWTOR/launcher thru the windows firewall/defender.

Didn't help much.

Are you running in compatbility mode for any distro?

You said it yourself "Almost all the NEW gear has Win8 drivers". How much of the older stuff has Win8 drivers? It always takes months after a new OS is released for older hardware to get the newest drivers or drivers that support that hardware for the new OS.

Didn't say new, but that's beside the point. Nvidia has it, AMD even has it. My old G15 keyboard has it, My mouse has it... other "old" gear has it... ONLY SWTOR doesn't have it.

I also updated to Windows 8 on my desktop (left laptop alone just in case). I've had some performance issues but are hit or miss. Here are some things I have done but not sure if they will help:

1) Launch game from the actual program location - use launcher application)

2) Run game in Windows 7 compatability

3) If using NVidia card I could not run until updated to their latest drivers (September update)

4) Restart my computer - not sure why it takes this to work sometimes

SWTOR did show up as Windows 8 compatible for me during the upgrade process. Today when I played game worked perfectly. I do sometimes get weird stuttering but normally fixes itself. Hope any of this may help.

Yeh, one of first things I did was to create an exception for SWTOR/launcher thru the windows firewall/defender.

Didn't help much.

Are you running in compatbility mode for any distro?

No. But I did upgrade from 7 and not clean install. I am using the Windows firewall because Comodo didn't work on 8.

I also updated to Windows 8 on my desktop (left laptop alone just in case). I've had some performance issues but are hit or miss. Here are some things I have done but not sure if they will help:

1) Launch game from the actual program location - use launcher application)

2) Run game in Windows 7 compatability

3) If using NVidia card I could not run until updated to their latest drivers (September update)

4) Restart my computer - not sure why it takes this to work sometimes

SWTOR did show up as Windows 8 compatible for me during the upgrade process. Today when I played game worked perfectly. I do sometimes get weird stuttering but normally fixes itself. Hope any of this may help.

I had the latest driver on Win7 before the upgrade. After the upgrade, I had to reinstall the drivers clean. Not for TOR because it wasn't giving me an issue but for another game that's not an MMO but a Bioware game that is set in space.

And I would say get the one from nVidia's site and not let Microsoft do it through Update.

So stressing to anyone, do step 3 and don't skip it.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

when i click on PLAY the first wait screen should come up and NOTHING. checked to ensure all programs are run as ADMIN(swtor.exe, launcher.exe), DirectX 9 stuff, running in compatibility mode. and I don't have the old windows7 to redo. so has anyone fixed this problem or knows how?

Could you list some pc specs? It may help others notice something that maybe be causing the issue.

Edited by WarbNull

so when you click play nothing happens right? as in the launcher just stays on the play screen?

that has nothing to do with windows 8 but with how the launcher is looking for files, usley from just moving folders around and not installing the game. try puting the game folder on your desktop and run repair launcher and see if that fixes.

I installed 8 from 7 this week and have only had issues with vent, TOR runs fine, if not a little faster. The usual slow in load screen I did not notice with 8. Sounds like you may be missing something or you need to re-install from scratch.

As far as windows 8 goes, I was fully using it myself a few days ago.

Memory leaks seem to be worse on it as do client crashes with no error message.... however if you are still certain you want it to work can you give us a little more info please such as your computer spec?

I ran into several issues myself, first one was software (java, NET Framework, directx, graphics drivers, SSD drivers inc controllers)

second one was the installation had to be in admin mode too, not just the launch, then third the nvidia drivers currently have issues if you use any settings other than 'applicationg controlled'.

After all this when the game did eventually come on, it set my graphics to the very low setting on 800x600 resolution as standard. It might be worth seeing if you can manually change the settings file to your old settings although I have no idea where the file is located I am afraid.

I haven't had any issues running SWTOR and Windows 8 Pro. I have been running Windows 8 Pro since it was released on MSDN. Are you running the latest drivers from NVidia or AMD? The NVidia drivers 306.97 are WDDM 1.2 and WHQL, I'm positive that AMD has 1.2/WHQL drivers also.

I did however just reimage my machine, so I'll post back if I have similar issues.