(SW) Game Freezes in Balmorra when meeting Malavi

justjunia

Hi there! I'm a returning player and I've been enjoying playing my Grey Sith Warrior but the game keeps freezing and becoming unresponsive when I meet Malavi Quinn on Balmorra, right around the part where Darth Baras comes into the conversation over the comms. So far I have to quit the game completely or restart my computer.

My SW is at level 23, and this is the only technical issue I've had with the game since coming back (I'm playing 4 other characters at the moment, all perfectly smooth). I'm running Windows 10 64-bit (through Bootcamp on my MacBook). Is this a known bug?

EDIT: I'm on the Satele Shan Server btw. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Edited by justjunia

So... the game does not crash/force close? It just sits and the client goes to an unresponsive state? Or is there a Windows dialog box saying that the client has stopped responding?

There was an issue with the client going unresponsive a couple of years ago, that was linked to using an Intel integrated graphics card, but that was on (iirc) Ossus and was caused by the video hardware not being able to handle the content, and overheating.

I have also seen similar issues on other planets when the graphics settings are too high, and turning them down a notch or two helps to resolve the issue.

However, in this case it sounds to me as though there is a corrupt asset in one of the swtor client files. Running a repair on the client (close the application; open the launcher; click on the cog wheel in the bottom left, and then click on the "Repair" button. It will take a while, but that should hopefully fix it.

So... the game does not crash/force close? It just sits and the client goes to an unresponsive state? Or is there a Windows dialog box saying that the client has stopped responding?

There was an issue with the client going unresponsive a couple of years ago, that was linked to using an Intel integrated graphics card, but that was on (iirc) Ossus and was caused by the video hardware not being able to handle the content, and overheating.

I have also seen similar issues on other planets when the graphics settings are too high, and turning them down a notch or two helps to resolve the issue.

However, in this case it sounds to me as though there is a corrupt asset in one of the swtor client files. Running a repair on the client (close the application; open the launcher; click on the cog wheel in the bottom left, and then click on the "Repair" button. It will take a while, but that should hopefully fix it.

hi there! no dialog or error box comes up, but the game goes completely unresponsive. Sometimes the audio will keep going but the image freezes on Malavi turning on the holocommunicator, so I can't respond to the dialogue prompt. I tried bringing down the graphic settings, but it hasn't done the trick. I'll try running the repair on the client. thanks for that tip!

I tried to repair the installation but the option to do so is greyed out for me. Currently, it says "The repair option is activated after patching has completed or when errors are detected while patching." - any other ideas?

I tried to repair the installation but the option to do so is greyed out for me. Currently, it says "The repair option is activated after patching has completed or when errors are detected while patching." - any other ideas?

Sounds like the patching process may have gotten its knickers in a twist... As you are on Balmorra, the patching process thinks it has completed, so there is no point in letting the Launcher sit and wait for an in-progress patch process, because if there was an in-progress patch process I do not think you would be allowed to login to any character that is not on one of the starter planets.

Make sure that your SWToR game and Launcher are completely shut down, and then go to your computer's file system to find the location where your SWToR game is installed. The easist way to do this would be, if you have a desktop shortcut for the game:

1. Right-click on the desktop shortcut, go to "Properties", and click on the "Open File Location" button on the information panel that pops up. This will show you the SWToR installation folder, with the "launcher.exe" file highlighted. In that folder, there is a sub-folder called "bitraider".

2. Right-click that "bitraider" folder, and either rename it to "bitraider.old" or delete it.

3. Then restart the launcher, and a new patching/install process will start. Once that completes,

4. login and load up your Sith Warrior, and you should (I hope) be able to complete that cutscene and continue playing as normal.

Best of luck!

Had the same problem a few years back - except on a regular windows computer. I reinstalled the game. That worked for me - don't know if it will for you! (make sure everything in the folder is deleted)

Wish you the best of luck! May the Force be with you! :rolleyes::D

Edited by MasterVaako

• 1 month later...
Hi there! Thank you for all your suggestions, I reinstalled the game several times but I still had the same issue. The only solution that worked, in the end, was deleting my SW and starting the story again. I really wish it hadn't come to that but my new SW has had zero problems on Balmorra or on any of the following planets or quests. I just wanted to reply and post my 'solution' in case someone else has a problem similar to mine in the future. Thanks again!

Hi there! Thank you for all your suggestions, I reinstalled the game several times but I still had the same issue. The only solution that worked, in the end, was deleting my SW and starting the story again. I really wish it hadn't come to that but my new SW has had zero problems on Balmorra or on any of the following planets or quests. I just wanted to reply and post my 'solution' in case someone else has a problem similar to mine in the future. Thanks again!

Very odd, that deleting the character should actually resolve something like that. But it is good to see that you have been able to resolve the issue and progress, so thanks for the update!

hi again! I just wanted to update you on the Balmorra issue. So my SW is completely fine, I finished chapter one. But now I'm on Balmorra again with my Jedi Knight, and the beginning of the story was going very smoothly but now when I'm at this cutscene (https://youtu.be/tBjAASxhCDU?t=796) the games freezes up just in the same way it did with my SW - I really don't want to have to delete my Jedi Knight as I did with my SW. This is happening after deleting and bitraider folder multiple times and reinstalling the game around 5 times as well. Is there any else I could try? thanks for all your help.

This is happening after deleting and bitraider folder multiple times and reinstalling the game around 5 times as well. Is there any else I could try? thanks for all your help.

So, are you saying you've deleted the Bitraider folder multiple times?

The idea is supposed to be that you remove Bitraider altogether and switch to the non-streaming client. You should be able to find links on how to do that either on these forums or at EA tech support.

The idea is supposed to be that you remove Bitraider altogether and switch to the non-streaming client.

Hi there! thanks for that tip. So I found out how to switch to the non-streaming client after deleting my Bitraider folder, but the problem I have on Balmorra still persists. The game still freezes up at the same spot. I left the planet, went to the fleet, and came back to see if that would do anything, but still the same. Could this be a planet specific problem?? I am about to start with my Trooper on Balmorra and I want to see if this issue comes up again. Any other tips or tricks anyone has would be a great help. Thank you all for your help so far!

Hi there! thanks for that tip. So I found out how to switch to the non-streaming client after deleting my Bitraider folder, but the problem I have on Balmorra still persists. The game still freezes up at the same spot. I left the planet, went to the fleet, and came back to see if that would do anything, but still the same. Could this be a planet specific problem?? I am about to start with my Trooper on Balmorra and I want to see if this issue comes up again. Any other tips or tricks anyone has would be a great help. Thank you all for your help so far!

Just covering bases. You followed the procedure to expunge the most vile of vilest BitRaider as per this post, yes? Once you've switched to the non-streaming client the process to initiate a client scan and repair is different. If you run the launcher and click the gear icon in the lower left to open Settings the "Repair Installation" button will be greyed out. To run a repair you need to first log in. Then when you're on the news window you'll see your account name in the upper right corner, next to the minimize and close buttons. Click that then click Settings. Now the "Repair Installation" button will be lit and you can do a repair.

Regarding your cutscene. Try spacebarring through the cutscene. I had this happen before where a cutscene kept hanging at a certain point. I didn't do a repair, I just went back to the cutscene and spacebarred through it. If that doesn't work then you can try turning down your graphics settings to low before starting the cutscene.

hi again! So turning down my graphic settings worked like a charm! I did the repair client previously (should have mentioned that) but it still didnt work on its own. but I turned my graphics down to "very low" and while it was visually painful for me, it worked like a charm for the game!

hi again! So turning down my graphic settings worked like a charm! I did the repair client previously (should have mentioned that) but it still didnt work on its own. but I turned my graphics down to "very low" and while it was visually painful for me, it worked like a charm for the game!

Happy that worked for you. Sorry you deleted your SW.