Romance Double-Standard

redhuntinghat

Not to sound like a crazy person, but has anyone noticed that males can romance pretty much any female alien yet females can't romance anyone except Jorgan?

I mean being unable to romance Broon or Blizz is understandable, but why no Gault, or Zenith (as I've heard but am not sure on this one), or Rusk, or Scourge? Gault sure as hell seems more human-like than that Togruta, Ashara, yet he's off limits? And most of all, female Twi'lek Vette is romanceable yet male Twi'lek Zenith is not.

Which is strange, because [minus Jorgan] you can't play as a human female and romance alien men, you can play as an alien man and romance a human female. And conversely, you can play as an alien male and romance an alien female, but you can't play as an alien female and romance a male alien.

Is it just me or does this kind of feel like a double standard? Do you guys think what I've said has any truth to it, or do you think I'm just looking into things too much?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to sound like a crazy person, but has anyone noticed that males can romance pretty much any female alien yet females can't romance anyone except Jorgan?

I mean being unable to romance Broon or Blizz is understandable, but why no Gault, or Zenith (as I've heard but am not sure on this one), or Rusk, or Scourge? Gault sure as hell seems more human-like than that Togruta, Ashara, yet he's off limits? And most of all, female Twi'lek Vette is romanceable yet male Twi'lek Zenith is not.

Which is strange, because [minus Jorgan] you can't play as a human female and romance alien men, you can play as an alien man and romance a human female. And conversely, you can play as an alien male and romance an alien female, but you can't play as an alien female and romance a male alien.

Is it just me or does this kind of feel like a double standard? Do you guys think what I've said has any truth to it, or do you think I'm just looking into things too much?

Who cares.

Well I mean it limits your gameplay possibilities. On my female Jedi Knight instead of getting 3 romanceable companions I only get one, which isn't the WORST thing considering that many classes don't have more than one option, but it still feels like a double standard.

Well I mean it limits your gameplay possibilities. On my female Jedi Knight instead of getting 3 romanceable companions I only get one, which isn't the WORST thing considering that many classes don't have more than one option, but it still feels like a double standard.

To be fair, Doc is one of the better romances. JK's got it really good on both sides whereas most classes have it really bad on one side. Hell Consulars and Agents get shafted hard on both sides, which is especially bad because female Consulars and Male Agents both have two options and they all suck.

Edited by Stncold

Each character only gets one romance choice, except maybe Sith Warrior, but even then once you choose one the other one is done with you. I don't see any disparity, I really don't.

As for flirting, my BH is a female and the whole time I was grinding her up to 50 she was a straight up slizut, so it's not like females don't get the conversation choices.

Edited by bahdasz

Actually there is a maximum of 2 romance options for any class/gender.

And none of them are the non-human faced aliens.

Except for the Male Bountey Hunter Blizz romance . . . everyone knew Blizz is a girl, right? :d_tongue:

Each character only gets one romance choice, except maybe Sith Warrior, but even then once you choose one the other one is done with you. I don't see any disparity, I really don't.

Two Romantic Companions:

Male Sith Warrior (Darkside Jaesa / Vette)

Male Imperial Agent (Kaliyo / ENS Temple)

Male Smuggler (Akavi Spar / Risha)

Gault is

still in love with Hylo Viss

Scourge is

pretty much dead inside from how the Emperor gave him imortality

Two Romantic Companions:

Male Sith Warrior (Darkside Jaesa / Vette)

While it isn't hearts and flowers,

Lightside Jaesa will also agree to have your children. It might not be the ideal 'romance' for some, but any woman willing to stand and die at your side and bear your progeny counts in my book.

For some of us the story is the most important part of the game.

Your fake pixel computerized girlfriend/boyfriend relationship online (which consists of a few fade to black kisses and nothing much else) is the most important part of the story for you? Wow...Im sorry.

Who cares.

I do. As a female player who has played all the classes, both male and female toons to 50, I've seen the double standards. Female toons, just don't get the same oppourtunities as the males do. For example, the male agent gets 9 opportunities for ftb across the galaxy, besides the 2 romance choices he gets. Females only get one romance option and only 4 ftb ops, one of which, well, I wish I could 'unsee' it. There are countless other examples, like for instance Male Trooper gets the story with Jaxo and his romanceable companion, as well as countless other flirtations. I'm disgusted by the fact that female trooper only gets the stupid cat (in fact I opted out of that romance.)

It's pretty obvious the game designers cater to male players, they don't seem to realize there are alot of women playing too, and we'd like a fair bit of action and story in the game too, in terms of romances.

I do. As a female player who has played all the classes, both male and female toons to 50, I've seen the double standards. Female toons, just don't get the same oppourtunities as the males do. For example, the male agent gets 9 opportunities for ftb across the galaxy, besides the 2 romance choices he gets. Females only get one romance option and only 4 ftb ops, one of which, well, I wish I could 'unsee' it. There are countless other examples, like for instance Male Trooper gets the story with Jaxo and his romanceable companion, as well as countless other flirtations. I'm disgusted by the fact that female trooper only gets the stupid cat (in fact I opted out of that romance.)

It's pretty obvious the game designers cater to male players, they don't seem to realize there are alot of women playing too, and we'd like a fair bit of action and story in the game too, in terms of romances.

See my above post. I cant figure out why some of you people are so obsessed with your fake pixel relationship with a non existent character or lack there of. Seriously sad that this is what some gamers complain about.

See my above post. I cant figure out why some of you people are so obsessed with your fake pixel relationship with a non existent character or lack there of. Seriously sad that this is what some gamers complain about.

Well, different people like different things. Some people likes the challenge of going up against a great pixel foe with a group of their friends. Other people prefer to beat the crap out of pixels that are operated by another gamer out there. Some like to lose themselves in the story, roleplay with their pixels. Do what makes you happy. I am far more understanding of people who enjoy other things than me, than by you who by some strange notion look down on people who prefer another aspect of the game.

For me the companions and the romances are what makes this game stand out, it is what makes me spend time playing SWTOR and not a single player game instead. That I have found a great guild, can play SWTOR with my husband, that we enjoy Ops together, that is just a really great bonus. I chat in general, help people out when they need help. Play in Ops, arrange social activities for my guild. But, if it wasn't for the story-aspect, companions and romances, I would not be here. Different people like different things.

And yes, I would be really happy if there was a little bit more even with the flirts and ftb in the game. Let's hope for Chapter 4.

*GASP you mean a company that wants to earn money is catering to a larger group?! HOW SEXIST!

Seriously...

"I can't figure out why some of you people are so obsesed with fake pixel [insert your favorite part of SWTOR here] or lack thereof."

There, I fixed it for you. Because whatever your favorite part of the game is, there's pretty much guaranteed to be someone out there who doesn't care about it as much as you don't care about this thread.

If you don't care about it...don't participate in the discussion, and leave it to those who do.

Totally agree with the OP, also about the double-standard that three of the eight classes get two full on Romance options while the 'best' the females get are two classes that get flings in addition to the full Romances. And that all the male LIs are Human, except for Jorgan.

But I disagree with someone dissing on the f!Consular Romance. I'm happening to enjoy it quite a bit, it fits my character very well, while I disliked pretty strongly elements of the f!Jedi Knight Romance, which someone else dubbed "the best". Dollars to doughnuts there are people out there who hate your preferred Romance as much as you like it. Try to remember that when you're expressing your opinions. :)