aim vs power

ryan_reynolds

i relized that this might have been answered already but cant find a defintive answer. I am a gunnery commando and i have been arguiering with my guildies about aim vs power. I have around 2200 aim buffed and stimmed and a little more than 1000 power, crit chance is around 29.5$ and surge is good. I need to know where to go from here to gain more dps aim or power.

i relized that this might have been answered already but cant find a defintive answer. I am a gunnery commando and i have been arguiering with my guildies about aim vs power. I have around 2200 aim buffed and stimmed and a little more than 1000 power, crit chance is around 29.5$ and surge is good. I need to know where to go from here to gain more dps aim or power.

Use Advanced Reflex Augment 22s for your augments and Advanced Agile Mods 25,26,27s for the power boosts. Don't use the agile mods that are lettered. (i.e. 25A, 26B, etc.) You gain more DPS stats from the unlettered ones.

If you haven't done so already, create yourself a belt and bracer where you can add Reflex Armorings and the Agile mods and augment those as well.

Use Advanced Reflex Augment 22s for your augments and Advanced Agile Mods 25,26,27s for the power boosts. Don't use the agile mods that are lettered. (i.e. 25A, 26B, etc.) You gain more DPS stats from the unlettered ones.

If you haven't done so already, create yourself a belt and bracer where you can add Reflex Armorings and the Agile mods and augment those as well.

This.

The only time you take power over aim is in the high power mods vs the high aim mods, but that's because you're giving up 1 aim for 2 power more or less (I forget the actual numbers, but there you are). Also you'd take an Elite War Hero Relic of Boundless ages over a Matrix Cube if you aren't using two dread guard relics (on use power and a proc relic).

Otherwise always take aim over power given the chance (but really augments are the only place to well and truly do this....take the aim augments =P)

i have been doing this, all aim augs originally then my guild conviced me to go to power augs now switching back to aim, they tell me that after 2200 aim its not worth getting any more

Ask them why. I bet that they say "Diminishing Returns". Well, there are no DRs on the pat of the Aim stat that gives power and the DRs on the crit side of it are so miniscule that you need an unreachable amount of Aim to really see any effect.

Most of the time, people just regurgitate information that they heard from someone, that heard it from someone else, that heard it from someone else. Very few people actually research any of it.

There was an incident similar to this when my guild leader was telling all of the commandos in the guild that they needed to run power augments instead of the aim ones. I knew she was wrong, and I researched it, did the math, and posted my findings. Here's the important part of my post.

With 14 Augments, it breaks down like this:

14 x Aim Augments with group buffs = 57.5 damage bonus and 0.93% crit

14 x Aim Augments without group buffs = 54.9 damage bonus and 0.91% crit

14 x Power Augments = 58 damage bonus.

Hope this helps.

i have been doing this, all aim augs originally then my guild conviced me to go to power augs now switching back to aim, they tell me that after 2200 aim its not worth getting any more

Pretty sure LagunaD did the math and even if we didn't have Ironsights we'd need something like 6000 aim to start seeing power pull ahead.

WITH Ironsights I think I recall the number being over 10,000.

Use Aim Augments.

Make a profile at askmrrobot.com and experiment with different mods/augs to see what works best. Power worked out better for me being in heal spec than more aim but I have heard for DPS main stat is better than power and it's the other way around for healers. Link to my Commando is in my sig.

Make a profile at askmrrobot.com and experiment with different mods/augs to see what works best. Power worked out better for me being in heal spec than more aim but I have heard for DPS main stat is better than power and it's the other way around for healers. Link to my Commando is in my sig.

Your current setup is 586.2 bonus damage and 35.8% crit

if you use all aim augments it's 585.9 and 36.76% crit

So you trading almost a full percentage point of crit for 0.3 bonus damage, It's a small difference but I wouldn't recommend it.

*EDIT

Sorry, I'm hardwired to look at damage, you only care of bonus healing. Either way I feel it still stands.

Edited by nbayer

Your current setup is 586.2 bonus damage and 35.8% crit

if you use all aim augments it's 585.9 and 36.76% crit

So you trading almost a full percentage point of crit for 0.3 bonus damage, It's a small difference but I wouldn't recommend it.

*EDIT

Sorry, I'm hardwired to look at damage, you only care of bonus healing. Either way I feel it still stands.

I have a point in Special Munitions which gives me 3% tech crit chance with CSC active.

So with all power augs I have 39.72% crit chance and 630 bonus healing.

All aim augs gives me 40.69% crit chance and 628 bonus healing.

Trading a less than 1% crit chance for 2 points of healing doesn't worth changing as at 39% I'm already working my way into the DR. I could care less about crits for range as all of my heals are tech.

I have a point in Special Munitions which gives me 3% tech crit chance with CSC active.

So with all power augs I have 39.72% crit chance and 630 bonus healing.

All aim augs gives me 40.69% crit chance and 628 bonus healing.

Trading a less than 1% crit chance for 2 points of healing doesn't worth changing as at 39% I'm already working my way into the DR. I could care less about crits for range as all of my heals are tech.

the DR on crit is not on aim its only from crit rating. i believe 350 crit is the soft cap, and yes i have played around to see that this is about where it is.aim adds to your crit without effecting your DR on it.

the DR on crit is not on aim its only from crit rating. i believe 350 crit is the soft cap, and yes i have played around to see that this is about where it is.aim adds to your crit without effecting your DR on it.

ok, so lots of things to mention in this post.

first of all, there's no such thing as a 'soft cap' in this game. things are not calculated in that way.

everything except the bonus healing and damage from power and main stats are subject to diminished returns

diminishing returns start the moment you start adding a single point, because you need to add more points to get the same bonus you previously had.

the DR curve for crit on main stats is fairly linear. because of that, people say things like 'the DR on crit is not on aim'

the DR curve for crit rating is a little less linear, and both bonuses to crit are calculated separately.

the DR for something like surge has a very specific point where it tapers off a lot, and this is mostly due to the hard cap being lower from 50% to 30% in 1.2

basically the first 25% of bonus crit multiplier is calculated the same way as it was before 1.2, and the remaining 5% used to give an additional 25%

no other stat is like this. until they mess with calculations and values, it will continue to stay this way.

there is a hard cap on crit rating, which is the same 30%, but this does not include skills or skill points, companion affection bonus to crit, 5% base crit chance for all characters and classes, or the 5% smuggler buff

it does take into account the overall bonus to crit from mainstats and crit rating

So in a nut shell do we want reflex armoring and agile mods in ever piece of our armour ? if so that would make it so much easier for me to understand upgrading my armour. Also if that is the case what enhancment do we want?

Well, you want reflex armoring, barrel, and augments. For the mods use nimble and agile. For the enhancements I use adept and initiative. But there are a couple others that don't waste stat points, i think maybe battle is one of them.

Try this as a starting point: http://www.noxxic.com/swtor