Watch New Galactic Strongholds Announcement Trailer

TaitWatson

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the press release with the snippet about multiple houses. They said:

In Galactic Strongholds, players can live on multiple planets and choose a prestigious apartment in the heart of the faction’s capital world, live in style among the high-rollers of Nar Shaddaa, or both by owning multiple Strongholds. (emphasis added).

This is less clear than I thought on whether housing is "per character" or account-wide. I suppose it's possible that, unlike other MMOs I've played, in which account-wide access to housing means one house per account, SWTOR will let us own as many Strongholds as we can afford ... though I expect it will be one per planet, which means a maximum of two ... for now.

I think it's great that players are getting this feature. I don't even care if the cynics are right and it is just "a distraction from the grind." It's a friggin' videogame ... the entire point is to distract us. But, personally, I don't plan to invest much (either time, effort, credits, or least of all CCs) into my Stronghold. As a subscriber, I will gladly take my free multi-room flat on Nar Shaddaa just for the Legacy Vault access. I would pay CC to unlock Legacy Vault access on my ships account-wide and for Fast Travel: Stronghold (both of which I hope/assume are coming).

I guess I'm all "housed-out" in MMOs. I own nearly an entire neighborhood in LOTRO (several personal houses and four Kinship houses). I just lack the urge to duplicate that work and become Nar Shaddaa's latest slumlord.

I found the press release with the snippet about multiple houses. They said:

In Galactic Strongholds, players can live on multiple planets and choose a prestigious apartment in the heart of the faction’s capital world, live in style among the high-rollers of Nar Shaddaa, or both by owning multiple Strongholds. (emphasis added).

This is less clear than I thought on whether housing is "per character" or account-wide. I suppose it's possible that, unlike other MMOs I've played, in which account-wide access to housing means one house per account, SWTOR will let us own as many Strongholds as we can afford ... though I expect it will be one per planet, which means a maximum of two ... for now.

I think it's great that players are getting this feature. I don't even care if the cynics are right and it is just "a distraction from the grind." It's a friggin' videogame ... the entire point is to distract us. But, personally, I don't plan to invest much (either time, effort, credits, or least of all CCs) into my Stronghold. As a subscriber, I will gladly take my free multi-room flat on Nar Shaddaa just for the Legacy Vault access. I would pay CC to unlock Legacy Vault access on my ships account-wide and for Fast Travel: Stronghold (both of which I hope/assume are coming).

I guess I'm all "housed-out" in MMOs. I own nearly an entire neighborhood in LOTRO (several personal houses and four Kinship houses). I just lack the urge to duplicate that work and become Nar Shaddaa's latest slumlord.

I'm the opposite. I've never delved into Housing in any game before, but I love the idea of having somewhere to dump my millions of credits...that being the Stronghold on Nar Shadda.

As to the legacy bank, will the stack size of materials be increased above 99 for some of these items? with 16 characters on a server I have a lot of materials for crafting, and if they could maybe get piled into larger stack sizes, that would be awesome.

Seeing how this is a free to play expansion. Any plans to increase the credit cap for Preferred and pure F2Pers?

I mean looking at some of the costs being thrown around for unlocking rooms, buying the cribs, ect. The cap is a little too restrictive for those people.

Edited by RaiderMid

Seeing how this is a free to play expansion. Any plans to increase the credit cap for Preferred and pure F2Pers?

I mean looking at some of the costs being thrown around for unlocking rooms, buying the cribs, ect. The cap is a little too restrictive for those people.

then they can buy the credit escrow or sub. if you don't pay you cant complain about not getting value for your money.

The only prices we've seen is the total price of a Stronghold on Nar Shadda with 3 unlocked rooms. 1.5mil. I get the feeling that the Nar Shadda thing is a luxury credit-sink, not something that will be accessible to anyone except those with millions to waste.

They've not yet shown the price of anything related to the DK/Coruscant Strongholds.

Only thing I really hope for is mannequins so I can put my old armor sets on display instead of cluttering my bank.

An excellent idea Varium.

There's immediate use for our pleasure, and there's Cartel Market upside with sales of limited edition armor sets and gear/weapons racks or displays.

Without a means to display other than wearing or linking in chat, you've only purchased bank slot filler.

I sincerely hope it's optional. I don't want most of my companions roaming around my homes. They can sleep on the ship. Mako and Vette are exceptions to this rule.

Be kinda cool if you could self select who's allowed to visit, especially if strongholds are shared across your legacy. Maybe your companions from two different characters could mix and mingle. :p

Be kinda cool if you could self select who's allowed to visit, especially if strongholds are shared across your legacy. Maybe your companions from two different characters could mix and mingle. :p

Kira and Jaesa together...giggity

They get to play the game for free. If they want subscriber benefits, they should find a way to spring $.50 a day. Perhaps by eating at a fast food joint one less time per month or even smoking 2 less cigarettes a day?

Eric, is all this housing going to be apartment based, or will we see jungle strongholds like lord grathans estate?

They've already said that the Strongholds will be located on DK/Coruscant and Nar Shadda. That said, it leaves an option to expand it onto other worlds later on down the road, but you have to consider the story. Imperials aren't going to be able to live on a world such as Corellia when the story states that the Empire was driven off.

That said, Imperial-only worlds would work, as would Republic-only worlds.

I agree with a lot of what you said here, Thoronmir. Emphasizing the part about Lotro housing, the Lotro team really missed the mark there. I haven't played in a couple years, but as it was then, player housing was so lackluster. It would have been cool in 2005, but it lacked any kind of community aspect because of how separate it felt.

But having the prospect of dwelling on Nar Shaddaa? That's like getting personal housing in Bree instead of having to hoof it out to some corner of the map to zone into your instanced, look-a-like neighborhood.

Looking forward mostly to the Guild Capitol ships though. Better start up those guild fund raisers!

Edited by Kinudig