Alternate weapons unlock.

Tweaked

This idea comes in two forms, both with the same goal.

Many people have complained about item restrictions "why can't my Jedi guardian use a saberstaff?"

These two idea's are an attempt to address this request. Both ideas work under the assumption that animations will be "recycled" from other classes. Don't waste resources making new animations, just decide what already in use animation works best with what weapon per class.

Idea one: Purchasable unlock.

Cartel item that allows Melee classes to purchase:

Single saber

Dual wield saber

Saberstaff

Cartel Item that allows ranged classes to wield:

Pistol

Dual pistols

Rifle

Sniper rifle

assault cannon

Example of how this works: Commando buy "assault rifle unlock" Assault rifles would then have the same damage range as assault cannons and they'd be able to use moves that require assault cannons with rifles equipped.

The second idea, that i arguably dont like as much because its more restricted, is to sell on the CM weapons that have the appearance of one class, but function as another.

Example: a saberstaff that's classified as a lightsaber.

/signed

i love this idea i hate how i cant have a jedi knight with a double bladed lightsaber.

which is ironic because a jedi consular who is better with force than a lightsaber uses a double bladed saber which is very hard to manage

I get where you're coming from but it would create some issues in pvp, attacking a tank vanguard and a heals commando is a very different fight, but you'd be surprised how many people see a trooper with a blaster rifle in a WZ and go in for and easy kill only for the "Vanguard" to heal through all the damage. if you're a gunslinger, the way you fight a sith assassin and a juggernaut are very different, seeing a sith with a double saber won't make you immediately drop cover exposing you to the "Assassins" leap.

great idea would love to see it

but won't work with pvp from where I sit

Maybe there's a way to restrict these weapons to PvE only?

Either way, I definitely like this idea. The only issue is certain skills have animations centered around their specific weapon. For example, if a marauder was using a single saber and used dual saber throw, it would look a bit strange.

I actually don't like this idea. The classes should be unique in appearance and not just abilities. I would go so far and even put some restrictions like restrict force users to not be able to have body type 4. I mean it's ridiculous to see a body type 4 Jedi Force Leap and move unnaturally fast. I'm not that lore-wise, but as far as I know there are no fat Jedi.

You can customize face, race and armor as much as you like to make your char look unique, but in a fight there should be no question what class you are.

/signed!!!!!

This is why I won't play a Sentinel or a Shadow, I think they are more interesting classes, but I HATE anything other than a single saber (Mainly because its been designed in a way that it looks Goofy to me, and I don't think Jedi should use saberstaffs IMO) So I roll Sage's and Guardian's but I really wanna play a Sentinel Class-wise. The same goes for Trooper, Love Commando, hate the 12 ft hand cannon.

I get where you're coming from but it would create some issues in pvp, attacking a tank vanguard and a heals commando is a very different fight, but you'd be surprised how many people see a trooper with a blaster rifle in a WZ and go in for and easy kill only for the "Vanguard" to heal through all the damage. if you're a gunslinger, the way you fight a sith assassin and a juggernaut are very different, seeing a sith with a double saber won't make you immediately drop cover exposing you to the "Assassins" leap.

I think this added challenge would actually ADD to the game in PVP. Less predictability adds to more challenge.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work in PvP. What it would mean is, instead of seeing a weapon in hand and going after them for the easy kill (or whatever your reason) you'd have to find another tell...or you know...risk it.

I actually don't like this idea. The classes should be unique in appearance and not just abilities. I would go so far and even put some restrictions like restrict force users to not be able to have body type 4. I mean it's ridiculous to see a body type 4 Jedi Force Leap and move unnaturally fast. I'm not that lore-wise, but as far as I know there are no fat Jedi.

You can customize face, race and armor as much as you like to make your char look unique, but in a fight there should be no question what class you are.

You mean, how my Arsenal Spec Bounty Hunter and Gunslinger Spec Smuggler can look exactly the same and you wouldn't realize which was which until one ducked behind the shield while the other fired off some missiles?

I would absolutely pay for this kind of unlock. Provided its a purely cosmetic unlock I don't see how giving people more cosmetic choices can possibly hurt the game. More people can use more weapons = more demand for different weapons = more in-game trade too.

A "rifle" unlock could let Troopers and Operatives use either sniper or blaster rifles for all their class powers: a "blaster" could let Smugglers use blaster rifles and Operatives use blaster pistols; and so on.

I personally hate that my choice of class (largely) restricts my primary weapon choice. To me the Vanguard should be carrying the giant assault cannon, catching attention across the battlefield while the Commando strikes light and fast with the "lighter" assault/blaster rifle. I hate that my "operative" lugs around a rifle instead of the pistols spies we're used to seeing spies carry.

I would even be happy if this was a Legacy unlock.

Confusing for PvP? Maybe, but doesn't that just make add to the challenge? People will soon recognize signature attacks/powers but if its that big a deal, enforce the default weapons for class powers that stands now while in PvP scenarios.

I would buy a "blaster pistol" unlock for my Operative in a heartbeat! He's a Twi'lek so he can only use weapons that clip with his lekku. >.< Also, he has a blaster pistol in cut scenes, and seems to know how to use it, despite the fact that neither Agent AC can even equip them. How ridiculous is that? :p

/sign I would pay good money to be able to dual wield on my Shadow. Saberstaffs are cool don't get me wrong but I like to RP my characters and having my primary weapon predetermined for me just takes away from the RP aspect.

I wouldn't mind if they kept some weapon types restricted to classes. For example pistols being Smugglers only (RP logic being that troopers would want something with more punch/range as a primary) and cannons being trooper only (RP logic being that only the military would have access to such weapons) but let rifles be a weapon usable by both classes. But I think they should at the very least make it so the weapons of the other advanced class can be used with no negative impact. In the case of Jedi/Sith classes open up all lightsaber types since it really makes no sense the current way.

I personally hate that my choice of class (largely) restricts my primary weapon choice. To me the Vanguard should be carrying the giant assault cannon, catching attention across the battlefield while the Commando strikes light and fast with the "lighter" assault/blaster rifle. I hate that my "operative" lugs around a rifle instead of the pistols spies we're used to seeing spies carry.

I never understood this either. I always thought commandos were special forces who were supposed to be incredibly mobile soldiers that fight more with guerrilla tactics not Rambos carrying around arguably the most cumbersome weapons available.

/sign I would pay good money to be able to dual wield on my Shadow. Saberstaffs are cool don't get me wrong but I like to RP my characters and having my primary weapon predetermined for me just takes away from the RP aspect.

And I would love to see all other Shadows switch over to Dual or SIngle Wielding Light Sabers, just so my Shadow is the only Double Bladed Saber user ^_^

/signed!!!!!

This is why I won't play a Sentinel or a Shadow, I think they are more interesting classes, but I HATE anything other than a single saber (Mainly because its been designed in a way that it looks Goofy to me, and I don't think Jedi should use saberstaffs IMO) So I roll Sage's and Guardian's but I really wanna play a Sentinel Class-wise. The same goes for Trooper, Love Commando, hate the 12 ft hand cannon.

i agree with this, i like my juggernaut but i love my marauder.. still i find myself playing my juggernaut more because it has the traditional 1 lightsaber

And how will animations work?

there are like 20 or more animations for each weapon so they can either just take another animation that looks similar and use it or if they really want to put some work in it they could make new ones

honestly I am just fine with them using animations that are already in there we have a LOT of them

If you want to dual-wield, play a Sentinel. Aside from Force vs. non-Force user, character class has nothing to do with RP. IC, all Sentinels, Guardians, Sages and Shadows are simply "Jedi."

But each of the "jedi" has a different play style.

It would be cool to be a Shadow with Dual sabers.

I want to be able to do a Guardian leap with a Saberstaff.

My Smuggler wants a sniper rifle and my operative wants pistols.

One of the best things i love about this game is visual customization. This would simply continue that trend.

the problem would also rest in that certain abilities require specific weapons to be usable. In addition to this, you equip a guardian with 2 sabers and then they have no shield generator. Would that mean you chose not use shield at all for minor damage? it would take a lot of programming to make this kind of cosmetic effect viable so its not something I think we'll see. I love the cut-scenes where my agent uses his pistol but from a development point of view it;ll prob never happen.

It's a good idea on paper but it would cause all kinds of hell with skill animations.

The Scoundrel healer, for example, carries some sort of instrument in his left hand that operates for every healing skill he casts (Diagnostic Scan, Underworld Medicine, Kolto Pack, Kolto Cloud etc.) How would he use this device if he was carrying a two handed assault cannon? The animation would incredibly awkward.

How would a Gunslinger fit behind cover with a huge assault cannon? It would cause all kinds of clipping issues.

How would a Commando launch a Mortar Volley from his puny pistol or unwieldy sniper rifle? How would he fire a Grav Round or Incendiary Round from a pistol?

All of these would look really out-of-place.

It's a good idea on paper but it would cause all kinds of hell with skill animations.

The Scoundrel healer, for example, carries some sort of instrument in his left hand that operates for every healing skill he casts (Diagnostic Scan, Underworld Medicine, Kolto Pack, Kolto Cloud etc.) How would he use this device if he was carrying a two handed assault cannon? The animation would incredibly awkward.

How would a Gunslinger fit behind cover with a huge assault cannon? It would cause all kinds of clipping issues.

How would a Commando launch a Mortar Volley from his puny pistol or unwieldy sniper rifle? How would he fire a Grav Round or Incendiary Round from a pistol?

All of these would look really out-of-place.

The scoundrel healer would use the same green beam heals as the commando healer.

Mortar volley and grav round would use the BH animations for the equivalent moves.

By recycling animations it's a lot easier to implement than you perceive.